The MCAT may kill me

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DPTinthemaking15

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think I have posted too many questions to count on these forums, but I have learned so much from everyones knowledge so far. Anyways, this is probably my last question for this application season, because everything seems to be under control. So here it goes....

I submitted my application June 6th and was verified within two days. As crazy as it sounds, I submitted my application as an ED applicant (long story short, wife is a pre-vet at this college, we love the area and the University). My GPA and info are as listed: cGPA 3.48 (3.46 if you don't include the beginning of my post-bacc grades), 3.56 sGPA, great EC's and LOR's, URM (AA male), and I started research this summer.

Due to an articulation agreement with my University and medical school program, I have a guaranteed interview/"possible" acceptance to the program I am applying to. I have to make a 492 on the MCAT to receive this interview, but I will find out in a few days if I have the chance to skip the MCAT entirely. Most students would be ecstatic and over the top, but I am in a living nightmare situation. This agreement was a big deal, because the school sent some of the individuals that started the college to meet with us. It was a great ceremony and we learned a lot about their program (It is VCOM if you are wondering).

I sit for the MCAT on June 30th, and tomorrow I am taking the AAMC sample test. I am hoping for the best, but I feel WAYYYYY underprepared... I promise it isn't just the stress before the test. I've been using BR for content review, but I focused on minute details in the beginning and realized too late in the game that it is more about the big picture. To my main point, my advisor keeps telling me that I need to sit for the exam, but I keep telling her how unprepared I am. But then she reassures me that I will be fine and it is key that I take it now. Should I see how these practice test pan out?? Or should I just wait until next year and kill the MCAT?

tl;dr: Stressed about this flippin MCAT, need a 492 on the MCAT for a guaranteed interview, mediocre stats, unprepared as can be, and wondering if I should reschedule this beast for January 2018.

Members don't see this ad.

As long as you don't fall asleep during the exam you should get a 492. Did you spend as much time studying as you did clicking high alchs for 99 mage? If so, good to go!

Edit: In all seriousness take the AAMC FLs and come back with your score. If you do not have a practice exam score for us, we cannot really help.

Reactions: 6 users
As long as you don't fall asleep during the exam you should get a 492.
:laugh::laugh: Thank you for adding a little cheer to my day. Pretty much the passages that I have taken this far have been demoralizing. I can pick between two answer choices, but I always pick the wrong one. That is my fear that on test day I will pick STUPID answers. Also, it scares me knowing that a 492 is around the 27% range. So I know it is possible to make lower :barf:

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
As long as you don't fall asleep during the exam you should get a 492. Did you spend as much time studying as you did clicking high alchs for 99 mage? If so, good to go!

Edit: In all seriousness take the AAMC FLs and come back with your score. If you do not have a practice exam score for us, we cannot really help.
Sorry for the double post, but is it okay to start off with the sample test? Or should I go straight into AAMC FL1?

If the AAMC Sample test will be the first practice test you're taking this close to exam day, I can almost certainly guarantee you won't do well. 492 guarantees the interview, but you have to look at the median MCAT for those who matriculate.

Take FL1 now to know where you really stand. If you decide based off your score you are going to sit for it on the 30th supplement with the sample and FL2.
Cool! If you don't mind me asking. What score should I look for tomorrow?

If the AAMC Sample test will be the first practice test you're taking this close to exam day, I can almost certainly guarantee you won't do well. 492 guarantees the interview, but you have to look at the median MCAT for those who matriculate.
That is true... Yet again, due to the agreement with our school, it adds something different to my situation. So far every student that interviewed at VCOM has gained an acceptance thus far (hopefully I don't break that cycle lol).

I know someone who was accepted to VCOM Auburn, this year, with a 490 MCAT, without any special programs. VCOM reallllyyyyyyyyyyyyy stresses a high GPA over a higher MCAT, which is why the agreement terms are a bit low.

I, too, was freaking out about the MCAT for like 4 years! You MUST take it when you are ready, not when your advisor tells you that you are ready. They aren't the ones paying for it or applying to schools. Many of them are ill-advised anyway.

you can let the MCAT kill you

or

you can kill the MCAT

Reactions: 1 users
Anybody who takes their pre-med pre-reqs and has a decent gpa should easily be able to score 492+; you are worrying over nothing my friend.

Members don't see this ad :)
Seriously, you could put the same letter for every answer and probably get a 492.

Edit: The above is NOT advice. Still study hard.

I think you get a 495 for just filling out your name correctly, so pre-congrats on setting the bar so high

don't stress mate, it'll just (if anything) take a sample of your soul... a biopsy, if you will

The MCAT is horrific and a year later I remember next to nothing, lol. I sincerely hope I can retain at least some boards info for my future career..

If what you're looking for is a 492, You'll be fine. Don't look for a 492. anything about 500 means you're doing better than 50% of test takers, and there are a tonnnnn of intelligent people taking the MCAT. Study hard and shoot the moon.

I think I have posted too many questions to count on these forums, but I have learned so much from everyones knowledge so far. Anyways, this is probably my last question for this application season, because everything seems to be under control. So here it goes....

I submitted my application June 6th and was verified within two days. As crazy as it sounds, I submitted my application as an ED applicant (long story short, wife is a pre-vet at this college, we love the area and the University). My GPA and info are as listed: cGPA 3.48 (3.46 if you don't include the beginning of my post-bacc grades), 3.56 sGPA, great EC's and LOR's, URM (AA male), and I started research this summer.

Due to an articulation agreement with my University and medical school program, I have a guaranteed interview/"possible" acceptance to the program I am applying to. I have to make a 492 on the MCAT to receive this interview, but I will find out in a few days if I have the chance to skip the MCAT entirely. Most students would be ecstatic and over the top, but I am in a living nightmare situation. This agreement was a big deal, because the school sent some of the individuals that started the college to meet with us. It was a great ceremony and we learned a lot about their program (It is VCOM if you are wondering).

I sit for the MCAT on June 30th, and tomorrow I am taking the AAMC sample test. I am hoping for the best, but I feel WAYYYYY underprepared... I promise it isn't just the stress before the test. I've been using BR for content review, but I focused on minute details in the beginning and realized too late in the game that it is more about the big picture. To my main point, my advisor keeps telling me that I need to sit for the exam, but I keep telling her how unprepared I am. But then she reassures me that I will be fine and it is key that I take it now. Should I see how these practice test pan out?? Or should I just wait until next year and kill the MCAT?

tl;dr: Stressed about this flippin MCAT, need a 492 on the MCAT for a guaranteed interview, mediocre stats, unprepared as can be, and wondering if I should reschedule this beast for January 2018.

You won't get below a 492. With your GPA, it is highly unlikely (and quite frankly pretty hard to get below a 492 lol).

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I'm going to casually take a practice test untimed throughout the day today and try to get a 492 or lower. I'll let you know how it goes.

You guys are the flippin best!!! I was afraid of the responses I would get, but I feel relieved that so many people are beyond supportive. The past few days have been a whirlwind of bad luck lol. The library nearby decided to close at an earlier time and my research job normally last until 2-3 in the afternoon. So I cannot find an appropriate time to take the practice test. And my internet provider *cough cough, Charter* has been dropping my wifi signal for the past few weeks. So they are coming out today to fix everything (after I bought a new modem and router). So I am set to take the practice test this afternoon! If anyone cares, I should have a score by tonight at 10-11!!! Stay tuned lol.

I think I have posted too many questions to count on these forums, but I have learned so much from everyones knowledge so far. Anyways, this is probably my last question for this application season, because everything seems to be under control. So here it goes.....

"under control" lol

Lulz... If anyone is curious. I'll be giving birth to AAMC's illegitimate child in 9 months. We talked it over and his/her name will be dream crusher. My score was so bad the computer informed me Caribbean schools were out of my reach lol. Anyways, I am going to take a few weeks off and regroup for the September MCAT or focus on the next app cycle. Thank you guys for the support. Oh!!! On the bright side VCOM sent me their secondary today :laugh: Maybe the MCAT becomes too mainstream this year and they accept me without it :roflcopter:

Hahaha I was worried about this sort of situation the moment I posted... ^^ Sorry!

Seriously, you could put the same letter for every answer and probably get a 492.

Edit: The above is NOT advice. Still study hard.

You are incorrect on this statement. You would probably get around a 476-478.. it's not as easy as putting the same letter for every answer..

You are incorrect on this statement. You would probably get around a 476-478.. it's not as easy as putting the same letter for every answer..
haha okay I stand corrected.