The Low GPA Dilemma - What Should I Do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

purplegurp

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello friends,

As many before me, I have a low GPA combo:

cumGPA ~ 3.5

BCPM ~ 3.1

I'm about to graduate from UCLA and only have a handful of science courses left, I haven't taken the MCAT, and I'm feeling rather stuck.

I had been planning to take the academic enhancer/Post-Bacc approach and go home to my local CSU to take upper division science courses, but now I'm beginning to doubt that.

A professor recommended that I find a SMP or a Masters in general. And while looking over my AMCAS-calculated GPA, I realized that to boost my science GPA up to around 3.5 (passable, I assume, for a good school?) I would need another 50 credit units worth of A grades.

%$^!

I realize that not having an MCAT profile doesn't really help, but I want some advice on what I could do, what has maybe worked for others in the past.

All I want - and I mean ALL I WANT - is to get into a UC (and yes, I realize that is expected a lot in itself). But, darn it, I don't know where to begin.

Help me get there.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

50 credits = 2 years full time as a post bacc.

Are you willing to do this? If not, I highly suggest looking beyond the UC schools.

(Ross)

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdtejCR413c[/YOUTUBE]

Seriously though, your options are either SMP, post-bacc, DO, or Caribbean. Take your pick.

Members don't see this ad :)
bcpm? I don't know what this is!!
if it's your sgpa... you're not likely to make it into any CA schools. Even if you ace the MCAT such a low science gpa is not attractive unless you do something to really distinguish yourself (besides a 45) or can show that's not the limit of your abilities
also, grades for master's programs are really not very weighty for adcoms, a doctorate speaks a bit more to your abilities

Can I ask why is it that you're so set on attending a UCl? If it's solely for the reason that you're California resident and you need the in-state tuition... then I suppose you have your point + need.

But seeing as you're thinking of doing an SMP or a graduate program, neither of which are exactly cheap... maybe cost isn't the only issue?

If that's the case...
I think the bigger question is... do you wanna become a physician or do you just wanna go to a California med school? Because TBH, if you work on getting a good MCAT, (provided that you've got the necessary extracurriculars), and then apply early + with a good spread of schools, you can probably get into a US med school, maybe not a UC, but you'll get in somewhere. This is coming from someone who is described by friends as the truest California Girl at heart: living somewhere else for a couple of years will not kill you. Once you get into med school, you can work hard to get a California residency. If you plan well, you may even work in away rotations during M4 year somewhere in California...

I love the "I have a bad gpa and no mcat, but all I want is to get into a measly little UC school" attitude that's been going around. Seriously, you need to perform a time-travel-reality-check combo-maneuver on yourself so that you wouldnt be in this situation now. That's the best advice I have.

I love the "I have a bad gpa and no mcat, but all I want is to get into a measly little UC school" attitude that's been going around. Seriously, you need to perform a time-travel-reality-check combo-maneuver on yourself so that you wouldnt be in this situation now. That's the best advice I have.

There has been a nice little bump in that lately. WAMC has a couple of active threads with the same discussion. Folks, California is not a state to dick around with your undergraduate education and then expect an acceptance to an MD program, period.

Alright, I get it. UC's are not in the picture.

But what should I do to make my chances of any acceptance more likely?

Would y'all recommend the informal post-bacc or a formal program?

Depends on what CA has to offer, whether or not you're willing to go full time (for 1 or 2 years?), and how low you're willing to stoop for med school.

Where I'm at (not CA), the formal post bacc is hardly any more expensive than sh*tty state schools and has numerous advantages.

Where you are, I would imagine doing an informal post bacc at a state school could save you a bit of dough.

You could also just go Caribbean and be done with it. You'll get your MD a heck of a lot faster.

Alright, I get it. UC's are not in the picture.

But what should I do to make my chances of any acceptance more likely?

Would y'all recommend the informal post-bacc or a formal program?

You need to do well (32+) on the MCAT and do an informal postbacc by enrolling at a CSU as a second-bachelors student. Take lots of science classes and make lots of A's.

Well if you want to stay in California that badly you might be able to pull off Loma Linda.

Apply broadly if you want to apply this year. Consider a masters degree if you're not in a hurry.

Well if you want to stay in California that badly you might be able to pull off Loma Linda.

???
their median cGPA and sGPA is a 3.8... with a median 31 mcat score.

compared to UCI 3.7 for both and 32 mcat.
UCDavis is at a 3.6 for both and a 32 mcat.

Am I missing something here?

All I want - and I mean ALL I WANT - is to get into a UC (and yes, I realize that is expected a lot in itself). But, darn it, I don't know where to begin.

Thanks.

lol that's all anyone in CA wants. A med student told me that if I don't get into a CA school its not the end of the world. Getting into any US MD school is an accomplishment in itself and you will get a good education from any school in any state.

???
their median cGPA and sGPA is a 3.8... with a median 31 mcat score.

compared to UCI 3.7 for both and 32 mcat.
UCDavis is at a 3.6 for both and a 32 mcat.

Am I missing something here?

I'm travelling, so I don't have my MSAR in front of me, but I'm pretty sure that the number of applicants to UCI and UCD dwarf the applicant pool at Loma Linda. Numbers are comparable, but I bet the overall quality of the UCI/UCD applicants/matriculants is much higher due to factors not captured in your stated stats.

With your stats, you would need to get a 33-35 MCAT to have a 73% chance of admission (from AAMC). I think people on here sometimes exaggerate the importance of numbers since 73% is not so bad. Obviously that science GPA is low though, but if you do well on the MCAT and get some interesting EC's I'd say you have a good chance. Definitely include more than the UC's though. As you might have already noticed, most people consider them the hardest state system to get into. If you KILL the MCAT (39-45) you would have an 84% chance. Anything above a 33 is quite tough, so just study your butt off and do as well as you can, apply, and if it comes to spring and nothing is panning out I'd say start applying post-bach/SMP.

yea get high mcat as in 32+ and as long as your gpas have a strong upward curve + ECs you should be fine. Apply in state MD and DO broadly if you dont want smp or watever

With your stats, you would need to get a 33-35 MCAT to have a 73% chance of admission (from AAMC). I think people on here sometimes exaggerate the importance of numbers since 73% is not so bad. Obviously that science GPA is low though, but if you do well on the MCAT and get some interesting EC's I'd say you have a good chance. Definitely include more than the UC's though. As you might have already noticed, most people consider them the hardest state system to get into. If you KILL the MCAT (39-45) you would have an 84% chance. Anything above a 33 is quite tough, so just study your butt off and do as well as you can, apply, and if it comes to spring and nothing is panning out I'd say start applying post-bach/SMP.

and gogo dores! ;)