The Jobs List

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Old_Mil

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Every year, a large number of match threads are resurrected by medical students who are trying to figure out where to apply, where to interview, and how to create rank order lists. Unfortunately, the guidance these poor souls get as they move from medical student to medical resident to attending gets increasingly sparse.

Would anyone else be interested in adding - anonymously of course - information to a crap jobs list? This will save graduating residents and our fellow attendings a lot of grief when it comes to avoiding places where you wouldn't condemn the career of your worst enemy.

Who knows, if it becomes increasingly hard to staff these rogue departments the powers that be might actually have to make positive changes to their work environments.

A good way to start would be to head to practice link and discuss open positions in states where you live, work, went to residency, went to medical school, or are otherwise familiar with a specific situation through colleagues or by interviewing there.

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 16 users
Every year, a large number of match threads are resurrected by medical students who are trying to figure out where to apply, where to interview, and how to create rank order lists. Unfortunately, the guidance these poor souls get as they move from medical student to medical resident to attending gets increasingly sparse.

Would anyone else be interested in adding - anonymously of course - information to a crap jobs list? This will save graduating residents and our fellow attendings a lot of grief when it comes to avoiding places where you wouldn't condemn the career of your worst enemy.

Who knows, if it becomes increasingly hard to staff these rogue departments the powers that be might actually have to make positive changes to their work environments.

A good way to start would be to head to practice link and discuss open positions in states where you live, work, went to residency, went to medical school, or are otherwise familiar with a specific situation through colleagues or by interviewing there.

Thoughts?

I'm in.

Iowa (I went to medical school here and have several colleagues who continue to work in the state. All my comments below are offered as personal opinions only.)

Excellent Emergency Medicine Opportunity in Iowa
Physician-Emergency Medicine
Ottumwa, IA
Ottumwa Regional Health Center
ORHC is a dumpster fire and has been for years. The hospital is perpetually understaffed at every level and they change management teams like absorbent pads. Add to that a depressed midwestern city with a disproportionately large psych population, decent amount of crime, a significantly-higher-than-average medicaid population, and average at best pay and ORHC becomes a sort of poster child for "this is a place you really don't want to work."

Emergency Medicine Opportunity in Idyllic Iowa
Marshalltown, IA
McFarland Clinic Marshalltown
If you enjoy trying to move the meat in a department where you will be using the translator phone for the 10% of your patients who speak Hmong (or if you are fluent yourself), Marhsalltown wouldn't be a terrible option. For those who don't, I wouldn't expect to make any sort of metrics unless you're a translator-phone ninja.

Emergency Room Physician Opportunity - Jones Regional Medical Center - UnityPoint Clinic - Anamosa,
Anamosa, IA
Jones Regional Medical Center
Rural hospital in NE portion of the state. Besides that, in the immortal words of Sgt. Schultz, "I know nothing."

Emergency Medicine openings in Eastern Iowa
Davenport, IA
Genesis Medical Center
Davenport is on the Illinois border and so you see patients who come from the relatively litigious culture present in that state. Fortunately since the hospital is in Iowa, any malpractice suits that would be filed would be filed and fought out in Iowa courts. This provides questionable benefit since Iowa itself has few if any protections for physicians and the medico-legal benefits of practice in this state rely (as does Minnesota) on cultural factors. Aside from that, Genesis is busy two-campus high acuity hospital that seems to be perpetually recruiting. Pay that does not adequately reflect the volume and acuity of the facility is part of the problem, the other is that Davenport shares some of the demographic problems I mention in the comments on Ottumwa.

Physician needed to join our ED team in Council Bluffs, Iowa.
Council Bluffs, IA
Alegent Health Mercy - Council Bluffs
On the western edge of the state on the Nebraska border. Otherwise, no info.

EMERGENCY MEDICINE in Marshalltown, Iowa
Ames, IA
McFarland Clinic
Ames is actually a pretty kickass town to live in if you're interested in working and living in a midwestern college town. Its close proximity to Des Moines ensures that you have decent retail and travel opportunities and the presence of Iowa State University brings sporting events and concerts to town. I don't know anything about the practice itself.

New Emergency Medicine Opportunities in Des Moines
Newton, IA
Skiff Medical Center
Newton is about an hour northeast of Des Moines. Once the former home of Maytag, it is now one of the many NAFTA related corpses that litter the midwest. Newton is staffed by Emergency Practice Associates, a local 1099 outfit that staffs multiple critical access (and a few other) hospitals in the region. Generally, they don't pay well and will staff facilities with pretty much any warm body they can find. If you have to be in Newton for a family related reason, it might be worth looking at. Otherwise, there's nothing about this listing that should draw your attention.

Work in a New, State of the Art ED (With Scribes, Hospitalists, and Mid-Level Support!)
Dubuque, IA
UnityPoint Health - Finley Hospital
Dubuque is a town in transition. It used to be one of the nicest Mississippi river towns around (admittedly a very low bar for reasons not entirely clear to me). Unfortunately, there's a very active policy to move section 8 housing recepients from inner city Chicago to Dubuque. The end result - crime and medicaid - aren't unexpected. Add to that a staffing model that involves partial single coverage and just shy of 3 PPH and it's a shop worth staying away from. I've heard that UnityPoint facilities aren't particularly doctor friendly, if the staffing model at Finley is reflective of a broader philosophy at UnityPoint, that is probably true.

Flexibility with Manageable Volume - Near Iowa City and University of Iowa
Mt. Pleasant, IA
Henry County Health Center
Rural single coverage hospital. Pays well, but has some of the same demographic challenges as the practices in Ottumwa and Davenport though not to the same extent. Town is sort of dumpy, but if you want to be in a lower volume midwestern ED you could do worse.

Emergency Department Physician Needed in Waterloo, Iowa
Waterloo, IA
Allen Memorial Hospital
Another EPA staffed facility, Waterloo is the home of John Deere. It's the biggest hospital between the University of Iowa's Trauma Center in Iowa City and the Mayo Clinic in Rochester. The University of Northern Iowa is nearby. Not nearly as nice a town as Ames, but it wouldn't be a terrible place to live and work except that like all EPA facilities expect to be paid significantly below your market value.

Who is next? We might need a few people to tackle large states with many listings.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Mods, perhaps you could change the title from "the crap jobs thread" to "the jobs thread" and make it into a sticky...

Reactions: 1 user
As much as I love this idea, I worry that bad mouthing a hospital or EM group (even if what you're saying is 100% true), could get you knocked for defamation.

As much as I love this idea, I worry that bad mouthing a hospital or EM group (even if what you're saying is 100% true), could get you knocked for defamation.

That's why you do it anonymously by sending your hospital reviews to the OP in a PM. He will then post them on your behalf. This happens all the time in the residency review threads. If Mil won't make anonymous posts for you then I will.

Iowa (I went to medical school here and have several colleagues who continue to work in the state. All my comments below are offered as personal opinions only.)

Excellent Emergency Medicine Opportunity in Iowa
Ottumwa, IA
Ottumwa Regional Health Center
ORHC is a dumpster fire and has been for years. The hospital is perpetually understaffed at every level and they change management teams like absorbent pads. Add to that a depressed midwestern city with a disproportionately large psych population, decent amount of crime, a significantly-higher-than-average medicaid population, and average at best pay and ORHC becomes a sort of poster child for "this is a place you really don't want to work."

Emergency Medicine Opportunity in Idyllic Iowa
Marshalltown, IA
McFarland Clinic Marshalltown
If you enjoy trying to move the meat in a department where you will be using the translator phone for the 10% of your patients who speak Hmong (or if you are fluent yourself), Marhsalltown wouldn't be a terrible option. For those who don't, I wouldn't expect to make any sort of metrics unless you're a translator-phone ninja.

Emergency Room Physician Opportunity - Jones Regional Medical Center - UnityPoint Clinic - Anamosa,
Anamosa, IA
Jones Regional Medical Center
Rural hospital in NE portion of the state. Besides that, in the immortal words of Sgt. Schultz, "I know nothing."

Emergency Medicine openings in Eastern Iowa
Davenport, IA
Genesis Medical Center
Davenport is on the Illinois border and so you see patients who come from the relatively litigious culture present in that state. Fortunately since the hospital is in Iowa, any malpractice suits that would be filed would be filed and fought out in Iowa courts. This provides questionable benefit since Iowa itself has few if any protections for physicians and the medico-legal benefits of practice in this state rely (as does Minnesota) on cultural factors. Aside from that, Genesis is busy two-campus high acuity hospital that seems to be perpetually recruiting. Pay that does not adequately reflect the volume and acuity of the facility is part of the problem, the other is that Davenport shares some of the demographic problems I mention in the comments on Ottumwa.

Physician needed to join our ED team in Council Bluffs, Iowa.
Council Bluffs, IA
Alegent Health Mercy - Council Bluffs
On the western edge of the state on the Nebraska border. Otherwise, no info.

EMERGENCY MEDICINE in Marshalltown, Iowa
Ames, IA
McFarland Clinic
Ames is actually a pretty kickass town to live in if you're interested in working and living in a midwestern college town. Its close proximity to Des Moines ensures that you have decent retail and travel opportunities and the presence of Iowa State University brings sporting events and concerts to town. I don't know anything about the practice itself.

New Emergency Medicine Opportunities in Des Moines
Newton, IA
Skiff Medical Center
Newton is about an hour northeast of Des Moines. Once the former home of Maytag, it is now one of the many NAFTA related corpses that litter the midwest. Newton is staffed by Emergency Practice Associates, a local 1099 outfit that staffs multiple critical access (and a few other) hospitals in the region. Generally, they don't pay well and will staff facilities with pretty much any warm body they can find. If you have to be in Newton for a family related reason, it might be worth looking at. Otherwise, there's nothing about this listing that should draw your attention.

Work in a New, State of the Art ED (With Scribes, Hospitalists, and Mid-Level Support!)
Dubuque, IA
UnityPoint Health - Finley Hospital
Dubuque is a town in transition. It used to be one of the nicest Mississippi river towns around (admittedly a very low bar for reasons not entirely clear to me). Unfortunately, there's a very active policy to move section 8 housing recepients from inner city Chicago to Dubuque. The end result - crime and medicaid - aren't unexpected. Add to that a staffing model that involves partial single coverage and just shy of 3 PPH and it's a shop worth staying away from. I've heard that UnityPoint facilities aren't particularly doctor friendly, if the staffing model at Finley is reflective of a broader philosophy at UnityPoint, that is probably true.

Flexibility with Manageable Volume - Near Iowa City and University of Iowa
Mt. Pleasant, IA
Henry County Health Center
Rural single coverage hospital. Pays well, but has some of the same demographic challenges as the practices in Ottumwa and Davenport though not to the same extent. Town is sort of dumpy, but if you want to be in a lower volume midwestern ED you could do worse.

Emergency Department Physician Needed in Waterloo, Iowa
Waterloo, IA
Allen Memorial Hospital
Another EPA staffed facility, Waterloo is the home of John Deere. It's the biggest hospital between the University of Iowa's Trauma Center in Iowa City and the Mayo Clinic in Rochester. The University of Northern Iowa is nearby. Not nearly as nice a town as Ames, but it wouldn't be a terrible place to live and work except that like all EPA facilities expect to be paid significantly below your market value.

Who is next? We might need a few people to tackle large states with many listings.

I've been told that Jones Regional is actually a rather nice place to work, but I have no personal experience with it.

I would say:

1. If you're a resident, don't say anything at all outside of what you may learn in the recruiting process.

2. If you're an attending don't say anything about your current employer as you may have contractual obligations to meet in this regard.

3. Anything that you say needs to be offered as a. as a personal opinion, clearly stated and b. In at least a semi-professional way. In other words, nothing that would require a FCC censor if it was said on the air.

I would suspect the risk of a defamation suit in this setting is next to nothing. The amount of information and internal correspondence that any hospital or group would have to reveal about their internal operations should such a suit actually be filed and go to discovery would be counter productive. However, I'm not a lawyer and don't play one on TV.

Reactions: 1 users
This was passed on to me by someone who has an opinion on HCA. I know of two individuals who initially went to HCA facilities (not in Florida) right out of residency but didn't stay after their initial contracts.

"EMERGENCY MEDICINE in sunny FLORIDA!
HCA/EmCare WEST DIVISON: MULTIPLE FACILITIES!!!

HCA/EmCare are always looking for providers to staff a number of facilities in the Southwest Florida/Tampa region. We’re sure to have a position with the size and volume you desire, but not the hourly rate that you deserve.

Enjoy laid-back summer months where our staffing model meets the volume and acuity; and is generally reasonable. Then, await the tourist/snowbird “season” months of November to May, where volume and acuity triples overnight. Increasing staffing/provider hours “isn’t in the budget”, so the solution is to crack the whip harder on the existing docs with increasingly oppressive metrics (Target: Door-to-Doc = 10 minutes, Door-to-Dispo = 2 hours, Press-Ganey = 80%ile and up). Enjoy missing out on 25% or more of your paycheck when you can’t meet the diametrically opposing metrics! Learn to hate Canadians and New England’ers with amazing speed!

Once the poorly calculated 4-hour average “wait time” gets above an arbitrarily determined number, then enjoy being called 2-3 times an hour on your days off to come and help during the “SURGE PROTOCOL”. No additional incentive will be offered, and you can bet your ass that the metrics are already screwed on every patient by the time you get in. Don’t want to come in? Can’t make it? That’s fine; we understand – just be prepared to explain why you’re not a “team player” at a later date. Did we mention that we expect all of your charting to be done by shift’s end as well? Our homebrewed DOS-driven EMRwill glitch-up and regularly freeze your PC several times a shift, requiring a full reboot.

Once the refusal to address seasonal volume changes drives off most of your full-time coworkers, enjoy watching locums docs come in to work only the prime shifts at a much higher rate, leaving you relegated to nights and weekends with regular denials of any overtime you might request. Expect a cold look when you ask how the locums pay is “in the budget”, but your overtime hours aren’t.

Eventually, you’ll get a job at a non EmCare/HCA facility, with other ex-EmCare/HCA docs, and wonder why the hell you took the other job in the first place."

I would say:

1. If you're a resident, don't say anything at all outside of what you may learn in the recruiting process.

2. If you're an attending don't say anything about your current employer as you may have contractual obligations to meet in this regard.

3. Anything that you say needs to be offered as a. as a personal opinion, clearly stated and b. In at least a semi-professional way. In other words, nothing that would require a FCC censor if it was said on the air.

I would suspect the risk of a defamation suit in this setting is next to nothing. The amount of information and internal correspondence that any hospital or group would have to reveal about their internal operations should such a suit actually be filed and go to discovery would be counter productive. However, I'm not a lawyer and don't play one on TV.
Yes, so much this. This has an opportunity to become a useful resource, but it needs people to comment on it, similar to our residency threads.
That being said, as long as you keep it confined to generalities and don't name names (ie, the direct, Dr. Soandso, is a ____), you're off the hook for libel. We still have free speech. But play nice in the sandbox all the same.

Members don't see this ad :)
Would also be curious about other areas that aren't yet posted. Have obviously been googling hospitals in areas that I'm interested in and plan on sending out emails in the near future, but if anyone has the inside scoop on places in any of the following areas I'd love any info you'd like to share:

Denver metro area, CO
Seattle / Olympia area, WA
Northern CA / Santa Rosa area
Nashville metro area, TN
Upstate, eastern NY
Salt Lake City metro area, UT

If anyone has info, awesome! Otherwise, I'll get back to cold calling.

Pretty sure that Salt Lake City won the "When Pigs Fly!" award in the last year or so regarding how pitifullly few jobs are available.

boardingDoc. as far as I know, albany med is currently looking for people. if youre interested in academics. probably some other community shops nearby that are hiring ie. Bassett (cobleskill and cooperstown). eastern NY upstate, close to ADKs etc. worth a look

Anyone have insight into the mid Ohio region
the old EMP changed to USACS and now merged with 7 other groups (mine in fl). they've got tons of stuff in oh. it's only 7 mo old but so far so good and I have no complaints
this is the standard website with the usual propaganda but feel free to pm me and I'll tell you the scoop
https://www.usacs.com/

Any inside info on the job market for Seattle, WA? Please PM me! :)

Regarding Nashville there are 4 democratic groups left. HCA is the big baller in town. Always looking to hire people for their sites and turnover is high. Not a place to go work if you arent interested in below market pay and a terrible system. The nurses dont like the docs because of their incompetence and all together it is a sweltering brew of crap. See above for how HCA ("Tristar" around TN) treats their people.

Does anyone know anything about the staffing situation at MTMC/UT Nashville/Murfreesboro, and whether or not there are employment opportunities? I'm a current resident starting to investigate jobs. I'm assuming this is a combination academic faculty and clinical faculty setting, but don't know that.

The following email ended up in my inbox. It is from an Emcare physician doing the scheduling for a a hospital in the northern half of Texas.

"NO. I am still doing the schedule. __________, as __________ mentioned above, PLEASE avoid blanket emails. We have had numerous new EmCare schedulers over the years and always get these blanket emails that only serve to confuse things. Many of the people you sent this email to do not even work with us anymore. Some were even told we would no longer need their services here due to performance or conduct issues.

I put together the schedule and take care of contacting our local docs. They do NOT need to be contacted and asked to pick up empty shifts, unless a bonus is being offered. By the time I release the schedule, I have pretty well squeezed our local docs for every shift they can give.

Key point, though, is that we need to keep our emails focused and to the appropriate audience. Also, we need you, and ONLY YOU, to be our scheduling contact. Frustration arises when emails come from numerous EmCare staff addressing the same issue.

Thanks in advance."

I've shared this not to indict a particular facility; the names really don't matter.

I want to give you an insight to how non physician hospital administrators and managers in the CMG world see you. In your mind you're a highly educated professional who adheres to some version of a hippocratic oath. In their eyes you are a widget to be squeezed for extra shifts.

Does anybody have any info they'd be willing to share on the Southern CA (OC/IE) and Vegas job markets? Thanks!

I saw this posting today and thought it was too good not to share. Check out these features listed:

Community Details:

• Live in the community or don’t, your choice!
  • Live on a high bluff overlooking the community, live on the water, or live somewhere else of your choosing
  • Some Emergency Medicine physicians live up to 3 hours away
  • Small town feel and values, post card views and vistas
Physician - Family Medicine with Emergency Medicine | $370,000 | New Hospital

Is 8 shifts a month for 370k good for the boonies?

Last edited:
I saw this posting today and thought it was too good not to share. Check out these features listed:

Community Details:

• Live on a high bluff overlooking the community, live on the water, or live somewhere else of your choosing

Those are 24 hour shifts. I have yet to hear from anyone who likes working them

Community Details:

No. Because it's basically 16 12s by hours. That's barely $160/hr. Math.
Also, it's 2304 hours yearly. Double no.

Reactions: 3 users
Anybody have any info on community jobs in the Philly area??
How does pay compare to other Northeast cities

I can say that for jobs in the DC metro area (focused on Maryland/I-270 corridor) consist now mainly of jobs with EMA and USACS which has bought up many contracts.
Pay is underwhelming for cost of living.
Kaiser has many free standing facilities where you get walk in traffic only.
Medstar staffs DC's academic facilities
UMD staffs PG county
As far as independent groups maybe just Suburban in Bethesda?
Do not know NOVA market well.

Anybody have any info on community jobs in the Philly area??
How does pay compare to other Northeast cities

I can say that for jobs in the DC metro area (focused on Maryland/I-270 corridor) consist now mainly of jobs with EMA and USACS which has bought up many contracts.
Pay is underwhelming for cost of living.
Kaiser has many free standing facilities where you get walk in traffic only.
Medstar staffs DC's academic facilities
UMD staffs PG county
As far as independent groups maybe just Suburban in Bethesda?
Do not know NOVA market well.

You're aware of the medicolegal nightmare that Pennsylvania is, right?

For those interested, the worst malpractice states in America.

The three worst: Washington DC, Illinois, and New York in that order.

The next three: Kentucky, Maryland, and Rhode Island.

Rounding out the top ten: Missouri, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, and Washington (state).

Going to work in one of these environments increases your chances of being sued significantly and possibly sued multiple times.

Do you really want to do this to your resume?

Some states like Washington are particularly punitive towards physicians with their longest in the nation 5 year medicolegal liability window and special "doctor tax" targeting 1099 physicians.

Reactions: 2 users
Got an email from a recruiter today trying to sucker someone into going to Alice, Texas.

28,000 visit ED.

Single coverage, 12 hour shifts.

Almost emailed her back wondering where she was able to buy such high quality crack.

Reactions: 2 users
Got an email from a recruiter today trying to sucker someone into going to Alice, Texas.

28,000 visit ED.

Almost emailed her back wondering where she was able to buy such high quality crack.
It's an hour from here. They're desperate. They let FM residents moonlight there, and a recently graduated one is their director. Thanks but no thanks.
The pay is pretty good though, for it being such a terrible place.

28,000 visit ED.

This may sound naive, but can you explain what's bad about the description? I'm assuming if this place has 2 MLP shifts daily... should end up at 2pts/hr, no?

This may sound naive, but can you explain what's bad about the description? I'm assuming if this place has 2 MLP shifts daily... should end up at 2pts/hr, no?

Assuming it has 2 MLP is being naive. If it does it depends on how good/experienced those MLP are. Just because they see the patients doesn't mean they know what they are doing. Also those patients still go on your ML and under your malpractice. Also how high is the acuity? Whats the admission rate? What specialists do you have? Is there any back up for bad airways? Is OB available for complicated deliveries? What happens to sick kids? I can tell you working at a 25-30k volume shop is busy for 12 hr doc shifts. We have 2 MLPs and they are really good and the days can still get annoying. It only takes 1-2 really sick people with no back up to mess up a shift. I only have to do two shifts at this type of shop every 5 weeks but if it was my main shop I'd last less than two yrs. Also what is the pay? I wouldn't work there for less than 300/hr. These are things the advertisements never delve into. They state that the town is two hrs from an airport and quaint it all is and that they pay a competitive (ie. 200/hr) rate. If you are needing recruiters or advertisements to fill job positions the job likely sucks balls.

Anyone have any recommendations on places in Los Angeles? My fiancé recently started fellowship there, so I am going no matter what, but coming from the east coast I don't know anything about the city or hospitals there. What salary/hourly rate should I expect? And what are the good groups/hospitals to work for in the area? Recently had an interview that offers $130/hr + RVU's as employee with full benefits. Not sure if this is standard for the area due to the competitive market or on the low end.

Anyone have any recommendations on places in Los Angeles? My fiancé recently started fellowship there, so I am going no matter what, but coming from the east coast I don't know anything about the city or hospitals there. What salary/hourly rate should I expect? And what are the good groups/hospitals to work for in the area? Recently had an interview that offers $130/hr + RVU's as employee with full benefits. Not sure if this is standard for the area due to the competitive market or on the low end.

Need a lot more information than that. How much per RVU? How many RVUs/h are people billing? What's the workload?

LA's a big place. Probably want to be more specific about location.

If you think outside the box a little bit, you will be able to give yourself a big raise.

Just because she is going to California for a fellowship doesn't mean that you have to work in LA or establish California residency.

Let her get the apartment/house/whatever she is going to live at in her name. Crash there when you are in town.

Look for a job in Nevada or Arizona, preferably the former.

Get a UPS store mailbox there or use an address service that lets you establish residency in a tax free state like South Dakota or Texas.

The amount you save on California state income taxes ($25,400 assuming a gross inome of $300,000) will allow you to buy a very, very nice car every few years to make the commute in. Alternatively, over the course of 20 years, what you pay California for the privilege of living and working there would pay for your house.

Drive up, work four shifts and spend three nights in a hotel and go back to LA.

Last edited:
Need a lot more information than that. How much per RVU? How many RVUs/h are people billing? What's the workload?

LA's a big place. Probably want to be more specific about location.

The average RVU/hr billed is 7.18. This works out to an average bonus/hr is around $41 based on how they distribute the RVU's. There is a night shift differential of $20/hr and additional $15 for weekends ($35 for weekend nights). The workload is pretty good at a mere 1.3 pph. It is in a pretty highly desirable area in West LA. There is a full benefits package, but no loan forgiveness, relocation assistance, or signing bonus. There is a 401K plan, but no company match. This is a SDG, but no opportunity for partnership, there is a small pay raise after being full time for 3 years. Only required to work 12 nine hour shifts a month for full time. Thought maybe this would be OK if I moonlight in a rural area out side the city/state 3 days a month? I have a large student loan burden of 325K that I want to pay off in 3 years living a very frugal lifestyle.

The average RVU/hr billed is 7.18. This works out to an average bonus/hr is around $41 based on how they distribute the RVU's. There is a night shift differential of $20/hr and additional $15 for weekends ($35 for weekend nights). The workload is pretty good at a mere 1.3 pph. It is in a pretty highly desirable area in West LA. There is a full benefits package, but no loan forgiveness, relocation assistance, or signing bonus. There is a 401K plan, but no company match. This is a SDG, but no opportunity for partnership, there is a small pay raise after being full time for 3 years. Only required to work 12 nine hour shifts a month for full time. Thought maybe this would be OK if I moonlight in a rural area out side the city/state 3 days a month? I have a large student loan burden of 325K that I want to pay off in 3 years living a very frugal lifestyle.

What's the hourly rate there? I'm interested in LA as well. If you don't want to give your location, have you heard of the hourly rate in general for LA?

Get a UPS store mailbox there or use an address service that lets you establish residency in a tax free state like South Dakota or Texas.

How legit is this approach? Seems like a clever idea, but I wouldn't want an audit because I tried to get smart with the tax man.

Does anyone have any info on the Chicago area?

One of the worst malpractice hellholes in the country.
Lousy weather.
Terrible traffic.
A high cost of living.
Insane tax burden.

Don't do this to yourself.

How legit is this approach? Seems like a clever idea, but I wouldn't want an audit because I tried to get smart with the tax man.

Totally legit. RVers and cruisers use this approach to establish residency in states with no income tax all the time. There are things you have to consider, for example if you buy property elsewhere don't ever claim it as your homestead...and if you are working in a state with a state income tax, you are going to pay it regardless of where you live.

Last edited:
A caution for those of you considering 1099 jobs:

"Helpless, Raging" Charlottesville Families Shocked By These 2018 Obamacare Premiums..."It's Horrific"

"Ian Dixon, who left his full-time job in 2016 to pursue an app-development business, did so because the ACA guaranteed that he could still have quality coverage for his young family, he said.

But when the 38-year-old Charlottesville husband and father of a 3- and a 1-year-old went to re-enroll this month, his only choice for coverage would cost him more than $3,000 a month for his family of four, which amounted to an increase of more than 300 percent over the $900 he paid the year before. And this is for the second-cheapest option, with a deductible of $9,200.

“Helpless is definitely a good word for it,” Dixon said. “Rage is also a good word for it.”

Currently advertised rate differentials between 1099 and W2 positions aren't really enough to account for the skyrocketing health care premiums under Obamacare or the retail cost of such benefits such as disability insurance.

If you're working as an independent contractor, you may find yourself 3000-6000 in the hole every month by the time you pay for your disability policy, your health policy, and your student loans...and that's even before you put a roof on your head or food on the table.

This will also affect you at the end of your career. You won't be eligible for medicare till age 65, and even if a marketplace policy seems affordable today, it won't be by the time you are 50 or 60 years old. Self funding health care premiums from your retirement age to 65 could really eat in to your retirement savings.

Plan ahead.

Asking for a resident of mine. He is a great doc and will be a huge asset.

Looking for SDGs in Alabama, La, but preference for NoFla, GA, SC,NC, VA.

Any leads would be appreciated.

Community Details:

160 an hour, 24 hour shifts. Whether or not it is a good job depends on the visit volume, coverage, malpractice climate, patient demographics, and ease of working the room.

Oh, and in general shops that quote an annual 'salary' or total compensation including benefits are trying to conceal a low hourly rate.

Someone recently contacted me about this particular situation. So I looked up the ad on the internet.

"double physician coverage offered 9am-1am daily... and an annual volume of 35,000 patients"

Emergency Medicine Physician Jobs in Walla Walla, WA | Providence St. Joseph Health | Physician Jobs | PracticeLink.com

The story is that the other hospital in town "merged" with this one which promptly shut it down, closed the ED and laid off most of the workforce. So where do all the patients come? You guessed it. Has this sudden influx of 9000 patients a year (which clearly isn't going away given the circumstances) caused them to increase reimbursement or add coverage?

Nope.

Are they recruiting?

Yep.

Do you want to step into the middle of that mess?

Nope.

Carry on.