The Investment Thread (stocks, bonds, real estate, retirement, just not gold)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What is going to happen if Trump attacked North Korea this Sat?

Members don't see this ad.

NK just needs to do something extremely stupid like launching 1 nuke, I'm sure they won't do it but if they are stupid enough... then consider it done. The nation is probably wiped out of their entire existence. Too bad for those poor souls that have nothing to do with their leader.

Members don't see this ad :)
RAD stock plunging to $3.75. Looks like all hopes of a Walgreens deal are gone.

Reactions: 1 user
Hope so, good for the profession if merger is approved.
do you mean good for the profession if the merger is NOT approved? why is it good if we have more consolidation>??

Nope..had sold it for 732 and made a huge profit, then Ecoli outbreak happened. Repurchased afterward.

Up 1.5% today. Get your chipotle!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Chipotle soars 6 percent on earnings beat Chipotle soars 6 percent on earnings beat

I am not going to sell. This stock has a lot of potential to go back to its glory days.

Trump tax plan: eliminate state income tax. That is going to hurt!

Trump tax plan: eliminate state income tax. That is going to hurt!

You mean eliminate the state income tax deduction, and all itemized deductions except for mortgage interest and charitable donations, while doubling the standard deduction.

That should work out well for me since I don't pay state income tax so I've been taking the standard deduction for the past few years.

Members don't see this ad :)
You mean eliminate the state income tax deduction, and all itemized deductions except for mortgage interest and charitable donations, while doubling the standard deduction.

That should work out well for me since I don't pay state income tax so I've been taking the standard deduction for the past few years.

All of these GOP reps in states like NY and CA better speak up.

@ least he is getting rid of the AMT

Yeah, if the standard deduction is 12 k for singles and 24 k for couples then what is the point of the mortgage interest rate deductions? Most people will end up taking the standard deviations since it will be more than the mortgage interest rate deductions.

Yeah, if the standard deduction is 12 k for singles and 24 k for couples then what is the point of the mortgage interest rate deductions? Most people will end up taking the standard deviations since it will be more than the mortgage interest rate deductions.

That's probably a good thing. Currently I feel that people take out larger mortgages than they should, just because the interest is getting subsidized with a tax deduction. This could lead to a real estate bubble, just like student loans have led to tuition getting jacked up.

That's probably a good thing. Currently I feel that people take out larger mortgages than they should, just because the interest is getting subsidized with a tax deduction. This could lead to a real estate bubble, just like student loans have led to tuition getting jacked up.

Yup and no more state property tax deduction.

what do you guy think about putting money into credit union back where they give you like 2.50% apy and 2.47% in dividend??

what do you guy think about putting money into credit union back where they give you like 2.50% apy and 2.47% in dividend??
there is always a limit on the amount they will pay that interest on, usually anywhere from 10k to 20k...and most often hoops to jump thru...personally i use Ally savings account (1.05%)

How much do you need to make in a year in order to be "rich"?

How much do you need to make in a year in order to be "rich"?

I like to look at it this way: having a SURPLUS after taking income minus expenses makes me feel rich.

e.g. you could be making $500k but spending more than that by going into debt so at the end of the day you'll be broke, and I don't think you will ever feel content or rich either.

Or you could be debt free with a paid off mortgage which makes it easy to live quite comfortably on $10-20k/yr. So even with just a RPh base take-home of $70k, you'll have a surplus of $50k which is plenty.

When you think you have enough.

I am all for making more money but if it is true that after 200 k a year, there is no correlation between your income vs your happiness, then what is the point?

I am all for making more money but if it is true that after 200 k a year, there is no correlation between your income vs your happiness, then what is the point?

Hey right it's all relevant. Those who don't know what to do with their money can feel as unhappy as those who hardly make ends meet. And vice versa, so the money itself should not be the ultimate goal. One needs to have a clear understanding of what to do with it. I don't get it when people say "I wanna be rich". And what you gonna do next? It's really pointless

RAD now at $3.36. Hope you sold already.

i never hold rad during the day as all of its recent dips have been during regular market hours. i always recover my shares after market close and sell before market open as any final merger decision by the ftc will undoubtedly happen before or after market hours. this way, i avoid the dips that invariably happen during regular market hours

also, i use robinhood so i pay no brokerage fees for any of my transactions.

Wow AMZN briefly hit $1,000 today, although the actual price is not totally relevant. I've been steadily accumulating shares since last year when it was in the $700s. But believe it or not I have friends who "don't buy stocks over $50" or have said "wait until it splits". Oh well...

How about some first world, upper middle class discussion?

They opened a BJ's Wholesale Club near me. Only $25 for the intro annual membership. I already like it more than Costco. The cafe isn't as good, but you can only eat so many $1.50 1/4 lbs hotdogs. They are what CVS wants to be in regards to coupons. I'll buy something, then get a coupon for it a week later. I'm in this nice Poweraid Zero cycle where I am only spending $9.49 for a 24 pack every other week thanks to them continuously mailing me coupons for $3 off. They are tracking me, yet it seems more useful and less creepy than when CVS does it.

I've been going around saying "I love BJs!" to random friends.

It makes me giggle.
---
End of story.

They are tracking me, yet it seems more useful and less creepy than when CVS does it.

CVS tracking sucks. I get so many feminine hygiene product coupons from them. I have never bought tampons and no coupon is going to convince me it is time!

CVS tracking sucks. I get so many feminine hygiene product coupons from them. I have never bought tampons and no coupon is going to convince me it is time!

Oh, you got that right. They were trying to get me to buy Ensure the other day. Which I've never purchased. All the tracking and data science they have available...and their computers spit out "give him a coupon for Ensure!"

Not that I should really be surprised. We already know first hand that they have the worst IT department in the United States.

How about some first world, upper middle class discussion?

They opened a BJ's Wholesale Club near me. Only $25 for the intro annual membership. I already like it more than Costco. The cafe isn't as good, but you can only eat so many $1.50 1/4 lbs hotdogs. They are what CVS wants to be in regards to coupons. I'll buy something, then get a coupon for it a week later. I'm in this nice Poweraid Zero cycle where I am only spending $9.49 for a 24 pack every other week thanks to them continuously mailing me coupons for $3 off. They are tracking me, yet it seems more useful and less creepy than when CVS does it.

I've been going around saying "I love BJs!" to random friends.

It makes me giggle.
---
End of story.

If a store like BJ does not have a pharmacy I generally do not like to patronize. If they are not going to hand me a 130K job, they do not deserve my dollar. Call me old fashion haha.

Maybe you been buying too many plan b tablets?

I decided I'm starting a new game. It's called getting $2.5 million dollars saved up and then and retiring as early as possible. Should be fun.

I decided I'm starting a new game. It's called getting $2.5 million dollars saved up and then and retiring as early as possible. Should be fun.

What changed?

You should be able to do it quite easily. 2 rphs income. Housing is cheap. Probably about 15 years tops of extreme savings to get it.
AMD gains. Anyone here investing in cryptocurrencies? ETH?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Train already left the station, when I got into bitcoin I bought 12 coins at 300 each, sold at 750 that's was 3 years ago. Kicking myself lol, but not touching any crypto now.

You should be able to do it quite easily. 2 rphs income. Housing is cheap. Probably about 15-20 years tops to get it.

Train already left the station, when I got into bitcoin I bought 12 coins at 300 each, sold at 750 that's was 3 years ago. Not touching any crypto now.

Bitcoin has. I don't know enough about buying it and converting to $ and that scares me from buying. Eth is the next big thing it appears.

What changed?

Nothing really. That's just the amount that you can get roughly 100,000 a year on 4% return. When I hit that I'm out the game.

Not counting on social security.

If the economy and automation/death of labor go the way I think they will, we might end up with basic income and universal healthcare. If that happens, then I'm out at $1.75 mil.

You should be able to do it quite easily. 2 rphs income. Housing is cheap. Probably about 15 years tops of extreme savings to get it.

Honestly, ever since they dropped all those night shift stores, she's only getting a few shifts a pay period. Thankfully it's summer so there are a ton of shifts...but she doesn't work as much as she used to.

But that's no bother to me.

Already saving about 17% of my income with 401k plus match plus some into HSA. Once the final $9,000 of my student loans get paid off in the next year...that's another $750 a month to backdoor roth...

Wonder if I can do it when I turn 50.

Or if I'll want to keep going another 5 years and retire on a ridiculous sum rather than a "lifestyle sustaining" sum.

Last edited:
Bitcoin has. I don't know enough about buying it and converting to $ and that scares me from buying. Eth is the next big thing it appears.

Eventually people are going to realize that the success or failure of the ethereum blockchain technology has no link to its speculative price. I mean, you'd think, anyway. Other than precious metals, no purely speculative and non-productive asset has really passed the test of time. Tulip bulbs to baseball cards. History is really against it long term.

There is no way in hell I throw money at anything that literally depends on the feelings and whims of the global general public.

I'll just do the low cost index thing...

Making a little on AMD and Kroger. I got caught up gambling with some penny stock with my co-workers today. We're probably going to lose money, but it was quite a ride.

Making a little on AMD and Kroger. I got caught up gambling with some penny stock with my co-workers today. We're probably going to lose money, but it was quite a ride.

I bought more AMD recently, averaging ~$10/share now. Think I'll stay long and see what happens over the year. Are you long on it?

I bought more AMD recently, averaging ~$10/share now. Think I'll stay long and see what happens over the year. Are you long on it?

I think I'll hold them unless they have a new product line that tanks. I like to find steady performers and just sit on them.

Has anyone ever flown on Air India? Is it as janky as I imagine or is it relatively nice?

They have a nonstop roundtrip from Newark to London Heathrow for $486. Includes 2 checked bags, meal, and complimentary liquor/wine. And on the new 787 Dreamliner.

The next cheapest is a $590 flight on United. The airline where you can get bloodied and dragged off on the whim of a flight attendant.

Nonetheless, the too good to be true detector is going off. Why is this so cheap?

Has anyone ever flown on Air India? Is it as janky as I imagine or is it relatively nice?

They have a nonstop roundtrip from Newark to London Heathrow for $486. Includes 2 checked bags, meal, and complimentary liquor/wine. And on the new 787 Dreamliner.

The next cheapest is a $590 flight on United. The airline where you can get bloodied and dragged off on the whim of a flight attendant.

Nonetheless, the too good to be true detector is going off. Why is this so cheap?

Yes, but you can also get a huge court settlement. Speed up that retirement plan.