The Investment Thread (stocks, bonds, real estate, retirement, just not gold)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That's fine by me if you want to lose out on money.
LMAO I have a good laugh. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Update on my portfolio:

1. NAK-- Holding very strong, we have crossed $3 and I have now tripled my money plus.
2. VCEL-- bailed on this position for an 8% loss at 2.80. Looks strong but price offering has been killing the stock. In the future I am going to stay out of all micro-cap bios with an at-the-money offering.
3. IONS-- sold out the rest of my position in 2 chunks at $45 and 50. Made a nice profit, but this stock has clearly lost momentum. Wanted to bail before losing all of my profit. Will look for re-entry once a bottom is found.

New position: AKAO-- traded this earlier in the year, re-entered at $15.00. Moving stop-loss to 5% profit so I come out ahead no matter what. Hoping to get $20 plus-- will trail stop loss based on prior day low.

Positions analysing: GSV (Gold standard Ventures)-- a very intriguing gold play that I previously have done very well with. Now that gold is on the way up again I am looking to enter this very soon on a pullback.

Took you up on the NAK back at 1.72, appreciate it.
Lately I have been looking into cryptocurrency, I am currently hold some BTC and Monero, would like to look into ethereum.

It must really suck being a gold bug right now. 10/14/09 gold was at 1064 and now its 1194 while the dow has doubled from 10k to 20k.

Did you sell rad today? Thinking about it and hoping it dips again
I traded it at 8.05 (darn it!) and will get back in if it dips again (sorry, I know you didn't ask me but I wanted to discuss this too).
What do you guys think the chances of the RAD deal going through are now? RAD is at $6.32 now. I already sold all of mine a while ago when I made a small profit. Wasn't going to get greedy. But now wondering if I should roll the dice again.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow rad really wants bought out, price now $6.50 to $7 depending on how many stores Walgreens has to divest. Hope no one was still holding.

You said that's the easiest trade of the year right? Lmao... Agreed at $7/share if sold. 22% off in a whim. 9 - > 7 looool

You said that's the easiest trade of the year right? Lmao... Agreed at $7/share if sold. 22% off in a whim. 9 - > 7 looool

People rarely tell you the bad trades they make lol

That being said, have you been following Chipotle stock lately?!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Um it was, ended up making 17% off my original buy. I'll be getting back in soon once this settles.

I don't buy and hold, I buy on dips and option trade these kind of trades.

I don't think you understand, a stock falling isn't always a bad thing if you're positioned correctly. You just stick with your index fund.

Um it was, ended up making 17% off my original buy. I'll be getting back in soon once this settles.

I don't think you understand, a stock falling isn't always a bad thing if you're positioned correctly. You just stick with your index fund.
Everyone believes you. Trade trade trade more

Imma continue indexing =D and let the fools trying to make scraps.

@pezdispenser this guy knows his investing. Could not stop clicking likes on his posts.
Well I focus more on personal finance and taxes, which to me means finding a good balance between investing and spending, avoiding debt and living an honest lifestyle within your means. On investing, my motto is just: "no one knows nothing" :)

Everyone believes you. Trade trade trade more

Imma continue indexing =D and let the fools trying to make scraps.

Some of my mistakes have been put on here: disney and gilead killed me. Ive since gotten back in Disney and outperformed but have been stuck in gilead for a long time. Gilead has too much money to not want to stay long.

So no I'm not perfect, I've simply been outperforming for awhile now.

New grad here. I put the first 10k i made into stocks last month . 9% return so far on tesla, charter communications, dhi horton. i think i could get used to this. i put several thousand more on kb home, amd, nvidia, and chipotle a few days ago. really curious to see how this turns out lol. i live on rice and beans on a daily basis and put everything into stocks. i put $0 towards any principal on my school loans every month ;]

New grad here. I put the first 10k i made into stocks last month . 9% return so far on tesla, charter communications, dhi horton. i think i could get used to this. i put several thousand more on kb home, amd, nvidia, and chipotle a few days ago. really curious to see how this turns out lol. i live on rice and beans on a daily basis and put everything into stocks. i put $0 towards any principal on my school loans every month ;]

I like amd/nvidia/chipotle/tesla.... but that scares me you aren't paying on your loans. How much do you have in loans?

Those AMD gains today, yaaaaaa buddy

Some of my mistakes have been put on here: disney and gilead killed me. Ive since gotten back in Disney and outperformed but have been stuck in gilead for a long time. Gilead has too much money to not want to stay long.

So no I'm not perfect, I've simply been outperforming for awhile now.
Are you still in Gilead?

Are you still in Gilead?

Yes I've been in and out for awhile now. I bought more today, I have a current price average at 69.43. It hasn't been a good trade but I still believe in this pipeline and cash hoard. I fully believe I'll bank 20% on this trade before the market goes up another 20%.

My longer term holds only account for at most 10% my trading account. I've lost about $2,000 on gilead in total from current and previous holdings.

Last edited:
Update on my portfolio:

1. NAK-- Holding very strong, we have crossed $3 and I have now tripled my money plus.
2. VCEL-- bailed on this position for an 8% loss at 2.80. Looks strong but price offering has been killing the stock. In the future I am going to stay out of all micro-cap bios with an at-the-money offering.
3. IONS-- sold out the rest of my position in 2 chunks at $45 and 50. Made a nice profit, but this stock has clearly lost momentum. Wanted to bail before losing all of my profit. Will look for re-entry once a bottom is found.

New position: AKAO-- traded this earlier in the year, re-entered at $15.00. Moving stop-loss to 5% profit so I come out ahead no matter what. Hoping to get $20 plus-- will trail stop loss based on prior day low.

Positions analysing: GSV (Gold standard Ventures)-- a very intriguing gold play that I previously have done very well with. Now that gold is on the way up again I am looking to enter this very soon on a pullback.

I've been studying nak and actually got in at 2.90 today.

Update on my portfolio:

New position updates:

AKAO position has done extremely well. I originally bought in at 8.00 on 12/12 when it went up 150% in one day. I sold at 14 for a very healthy profit. Waited for the dip and consolidation and then bought back in as it crossed $15. It has now crossed $20 and had a recent upgrade to $27. I will continue trailing up my stop loss.

AMD plus NVDA--- I bought call options on NVDA and AMD. For NVDA, bought calls as it crossed 115 this week and sold them as it touched 120. On a delta 70 option you make about $70 for every $1 the underlying stock moves. Also, the profit increases every dollar by the amount of the gamma. NVDA call options have been very lucrative for me in the past year, and stocks touching their all-time highs right before earnings is very common. Facebook recently ran the same pattern-- just have to make sure to sell the calls before earnings. Playing options on the biggest momentum stocks around earnings is one my most reliable ways to make money.

NAK-- still holding NAK. However, be cautious with this one. It has run up a lot. I have a free ride position, but I would be careful buying a super-big position up this high.

Watching: MU (micron technologies)

Most of my other trades are daytrades on the days biggest movers. I have done very well, but I did take a 1k loss recently on a stock (URRE) because I held overnight and they did a price offering. Scalping the days biggest gainers has been my most consistent profit-making strategy.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I've been studying nak and actually got in at 2.90 today.

Good luck! Make sure you have a clear exit strategy. This is the longest it has consolidated since the election. sometimes shorts try to create panic in these types of situations.

Good luck! Make sure you have a clear exit strategy. This is the longest it has consolidated since the election. sometimes shorts try to create panic in these types of situations.

This is actually why I bought, I've bought and sold three times between 2.90 and 3 so I've built a pretty good cushion in case it drops.

Like I said let it settle then get back in. Already up over 5% from 5.30.

I think I found a neat micro $HH

Although I invested in it heavily, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. Looks like it has good upside potential

I really wish I had shorted Sears a few years ago. Ken Kurson wrote a very convincing article in Esquire in summer 2011 articulating why the only value left in Sears and KMart was betting against them. At that time, Sears was trading around $70/share. I was convinced he was right, but I couldn't pull the trigger; shorting a stock seemed like a foreign concept and/or to risky for me. Probably a little of both.

Today it is at $6.40.

Dagnabbit. I blew it.

Anyone care to speculate who the next big retail company to sputter out is going to be? JCPenney? Best Buy? One of the two dozen auto part supply stores? Target? (gasp)

• Good luck! Make sure you have a clear exit strategy. This is the longest it has consolidated since the election. sometimes shorts try to create panic in these types of situations.

• Hit my stop loss at 2.50 today. I still made a bundle. Looking for re-entry-- there was a concerted short attack on NAK today. The stock fell under 2.00 at one point. That is why it is critical to know what you are doing when you invest/trade in these microcaps

• Watching for an entry near 2.00 if I can get it. I don't think it is done yet-- sometimes shorts knock a stock way down right before it will spike on big news. Hedge funds can be ruthless

Jumped back in NAK in the 2.30s after the short attack. Pretty pissed about this whole bogus short report, but that is just how the market works.

I have a feeling those new CPUs/GPUs they are fixing to put out are going to sell like gangbusters.

You should consider going to PDXLan if you really intend to trade on gaming technology like that. Both of the majors (Nvidia and AMD/Sapphire) and Intel always show up to talk about what actually is happening at the manufacturing level (and quite a number of the prizes in the past were the prototypes, I got my 980 prototype from one of the raffles there a couple of years ago).

http://www.pdxlan.net/home/
https://steamcommunity.com/groups/pdxlan#events

Just sold my Contrafund that I picked up in 2010 for 56.10 at 30 paychecks and struck at 103. I'm completely out of the market now (my TSP has been in G fund for the last two years, missing the gains from the last two years, but I'm not going in for now). Don't have the stomach for short-term trades.

Jumped back in NAK in the 2.30s after the short attack. Pretty pissed about this whole bogus short report, but that is just how the market works.

Kids repeat after me, this is why we don't take long positions in penny stocks we only day trade. Nak has lost half its value almost from its 3.45. Currently at 1.86.

Made a quick 12% percent trading it when it was stuck at 3 and had that huge move to 3.45.

Sure it could go back up to 3 in the next few months but its not worth the effort watching/being stuck in it when you can put that money elsewhere.

Kids repeat after me, this is why we don't take long positions in penny stocks we only day trade. Nak has lost half its value almost from its 3.45. Currently at 1.86.

Made a quick 12% percent trading it when it was stuck at 3 and had that huge move to 3.45.

Sure it could go back up to 3 in the next few months but its not worth the effort watching/being stuck in it when you can put that money elsewhere.

It could have just as easily plunged when you bought it at 3 instead of topping out at 3.45. Any position in a penny stock is a gamble.

It could have just as easily plunged when you bought it at 3 instead of topping out at 3.45. Any position in a penny stock is a gamble.

This is 100% true. The only reason I got in was it was consolidating at 3. I bought in slightly lower with a stop loss at 2.75. The max I was going to lose was 5% which was fine. Fortunately for me it didn't fall and instead broke upwards.

I don't even look at these stocks but it got brought up so much I looked into it knowing that any bit of bad news would send it tumbling. No one can tell you when the bottom will be in (this may be it) so you can avoid these situations or get stuck in them praying they will finally go back up and have to constantly buy more.

This is why I say penny stocks and chart watching is way too risky and any stocks should be bought on the stock itself with charts used only to support your position.

Side note, I hope someone bought gild, I'm back even on my current trade for this year.

This is 100% true. The only reason I got in was it was consolidating at 3. I bought in slightly lower with a stop loss at 2.75. The max I was going to lose was 5% which was fine. Fortunately for me it didn't fall and instead broke upwards.

I don't even look at these stocks but it got brought up so much I looked into it knowing that any bit of bad news would send it tumbling. No one can tell you when the bottom will be in (this may be it) so you can avoid these situations or get stuck in them praying they will finally go back up and have to constantly buy more.

This is why I say penny stocks and chart watching is way too risky and any stocks should be bought on the stock itself with charts used only to support your position.

Side note, I hope someone bought gild, I'm back even on my current trade for this year.

yeah, penny stocks are risky for sure. I am 100% out of NAK-- I'm sure you saw my above post about stopping out at 2.50. Day-trading is probably the best way to hold most of these penny stock positions-- I 100% agree with that. Usually I don't hold that many of these stocks, but I held NAK due to all the hype. That hype is busted now so no reason to be in the stock anymore. I sold my rebound position in NAK for a 3% gain-- it went up slightly so I set a stop at a 3% profit and got stopped out. The rebound didn't last so I am glad I did have to sit through the carnage that was today.

Daytrading pennies is mostly what I do-- swing positions are for stocks that look like they can continue an uptrend for a while. I like swing positions too but a lot of stocks are over-extended right now.
Updates on my most recent swing positions:

$AKAO-- closed out today at 23. Was going to go for 24 but I decided not to get greedy and closed my position out for a $1500 profit. I am actively looking for pullbacks to re-enter.

$EDIT-- They won a big patent lawsuit last week pertaining to CRISPR. Grabbed some shares at 23.75 last week and still holding. I am looking for a price target around 29 to get out. I am also trailing up my stop with a bracket/OCO order. Current stop is 26.25, target is 29. This stock could easily go much higher than 30 so I may revise my profit target based on the price action.

I made 3% on that trade-- I trailed my stop up and then got stopped out. Now NAK looks like a complete mess. Rule #1 of trading is to protect your gains. The rebound trade I made was more of a rebound trade/daytrade than anything else. It retouched 2.70, I could have made a lot more but I didn't trail my stop up very effectively. But any gain is still a gain.

Check out the guy that was shorting NAK, he just got busted for a cocaine-related DUI.

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/08/15/hedg...d-for-dui-cocaine-possession-in-hamptons.html

Last edited:

Let me ask you this and this may be naive but a stop loss isn't a guarantee. Could a stock theoretically plunge 50% on bad news say 3 to 1.50 over minutes and your order not yet filled until it's at 1.50 due to no buyers at the higher 2.75 limit you placed. I'm sure it is rare but is that not a risk you take ?

Let me ask you this and this may be naive but a stop loss isn't a guarantee. Could a stock theoretically plunge 50% on bad news say 3 to 1.50 over minutes and your order not yet filled until it's at 1.50 due to no buyers at the higher 2.75 limit you placed. I'm sure it is rare but is that not a risk you take ?

If there's say a gap down or a halt then yes my order may go through at a much lower price. When buying stocks though and not being able to watch them, it's the best you can do. I mainly own blue chips though so I can't remember the last time I was stopped out of a position. The worst thing that can happen to me and one of my long positions is say amazon falls, I'll actually buy more.

Everyone should own amazon and buy more whenever it dips.