The influence of NYCPM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dr.phoot

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Stats / technical stuff:

- first and oldest among the 9 pod schools (if there was such a thing as "ivy league" in the pod schools, NYCPM's history should make it an automatic contender!)

- established in 1911

- I think it's the only school that's just a podiatry school and doesn't have an undergrad / combines w/ m.d. & d.o. (?)

zgOhbmgA_200x200.jpeg

--------------

I'm based in NY so maybe that explains and answers my question but... EVERY doctor I have shadowed here in NY graduated from NYCPM! On their site they mention a fun fact stat that 1/3 of all podiatrist attended NYCPM! they are also one of the larger class sizes but man... NYCPM seems like they send out plenty of grads into the market!

Were some of the doctors y'all shadowed alumni of the school in the state, or did they graduate from elsewhere?

Maybe it's the appeal of living in NY / NYC that's keeping the grads in NY?

Members don't see this ad.

This observation is common to most Medical schools, not just NYCPM.

Good luck finding a Podiatrist in FL that isn't a BUSPM alum. They're out there, but I'd rather try to find a needle in a haystack.

Forget where this figure was procured but most (some percentage that I forget) graduates end up practicing within a 50 mile radius of their alma mater.
This is probably due to the fact that you're making the most connections during your education in the surrounding area. You're more likely to find an opportunity in this area as a result.
The same is true of residency placement. It was advised to BUSPM students- by an alum and current resident- not to bother applying to residencies in the greater Philly area. By the same token- a handful of FL residencies go so far as to say on the CASPR site that they only consider applicants from Barry.
That being said- a very competitive Chicago area residency ranked three non Scholl students this year. So it is possible.

Basically, you'll find the same pattern at any of the other schools.

Reactions: 1 user
TimmyTurner hit it spot on. General trend is for most graduates to seek residency in the state of their respective school. A few Chicago programs only consider applicants from Scholl. Like TimmyTurner said, you will probably find this trend at every school.

Also that is a fun fact about NYCPM. Fun fact about Scholl: approximately one-third of all practicing podiatric physicians in the United States are alumni of Scholl College ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
This observation is common to most Medical schools, not just NYCPM.

Good luck finding a Podiatrist in FL that isn't a BUSPM alum. They're out there, but I'd rather try to find a needle in a haystack.

Forget where this figure was procured but most (some percentage that I forget) graduates end up practicing within a 50 mile radius of their alma mater.
Is it safe to assume, then, that cities and surrounding cities of pod schools are saturated?

Reactions: 1 user
All the pods I shadowed went to schools around my state. I think you'll see that in any state you go to that has a pod school. Same with the DPMs who teach: they usually went to the school that they teach at.