***The Indiana University Class of 2021 Interview/Acceptance Thread***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you guys know if there is a minimum grade that we should get in the required classes that we are enrolled in right now or plan to take next semester such as Anatomy and Microbiology?

Members don't see this ad.

At the interview dr. Peterson said a flat out rejection was rare unless the interview went poorly. I didn't think mine went poorly at all ):
she said the same to me and my interview went really well....or so I thought. Maybe they are changing it up this year?

Members don't see this ad :)
What happens after we pay the deposit?

In state class of 2022 applicant just discovering threads like this. Made an account to participate. I'm trying to figure out whether or not my statistics are good compared to people who got in. Currently a junior with a 3.32 science GPA (after this semester, possible a 3.4 after next semester). Freshman year I had an abysmal 2.4 total gpa and a 2.1 sGPA. Withholding that it's a 3.56 sGPA. Taking DAT this summer and hoping to get the average (19 or above). With all that said, any one else have similar stats like this? Also, IU's website says you need to finish prereqs before matriculation, but I have a C- (first semester) in one of them. Will the AADSAS accept my application even with a C-? I was thinking it would, because IU says you don't need to finish prereqs before applying, just before matriculation. Also, I realize there are threads that say "Have x.xx science GPA, will I get in?" But often those are really old. I just think it would be nice to hear from people applying right now, and people that got in, and rejected. And also, to the people that got rejected, I hope you get accepted elsewhere! Good luck everyone!

she said the same to me and my interview went really well....or so I thought. Maybe they are changing it up this year?
I am in the same boat! Very confused at this cycle's outcome.

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone's status on AADSAS changed yet?? Mine has not!

They will send interview invitations this coming week. Good luck to ppl who are waiting for an interview.

Does anybody know if the pre requisites on the IUSD website apply to this year, or only for next years applicants?

I'm going to try and get ahold of admissions tomorrow to get some clarification. The ADEA dental guide has the classes as strongly recommended not required. And the website says required for next years applicants. But there's nothing on this years pre reqs that I can find.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm going to try and get ahold of admissions tomorrow to get some clarification. The ADEA dental guide has the classes as strongly recommended not required. And the website says required for next years applicants. But there's nothing on this years pre reqs that I can find.
Did you get a chance to call them?

Does anyone know if the waitlist is ranked and if they will let us know where we are ranked if it is?

So no one here knows what are the prerequisites that must be completed before matriculation

OOS here. I will be giving up my seat. Best of luck everyone!

So no one here knows what are the prerequisites that must be completed before matriculation
It's on their website. If applying now it's different than people who apply next year (class of 2022). the major differences are basically some classes are required not strongly recommended (physiology, anatomy, immunology/microbiology etc.)

It's on their website. If applying now it's different than people who apply next year (class of 2022). the major differences are basically some classes are required not strongly recommended (physiology, anatomy, immunology/microbiology etc.)
Yeah I need the one for people who already got in this year!
So anatomy, physiology, and microbiolog aren't required for class 2021, they are just highly recommended?

Yeah I need the one for people who already got in this year!
So anatomy, physiology, and microbiolog aren't required for class 2021, they are just highly recommended?
I believe Anatomy/Phys with lab is required, as well as either Microbiology or Immunology (take your pick). You must have 20 hours of Biology courses

I believe Anatomy/Phys with lab is required, as well as either Microbiology or Immunology (take your pick). You must have 20 hours of Biology courses
I think microbiology is highly recommended but not required!

Can anyone confirm that Anatomy and physio are not required? I was under the impression there weren't specific course requirements, but only an hours requirement.

And microbiology?
Can anyone confirm that Anatomy and physio are not required? I was under the impression there weren't specific course requirements, but only an hours requirement.
Hello,

Let me try to remove some of your confusion and straighten things out a bit. The new changes you see here https://www.dentistry.iu.edu/index.php/prospective-students/admissions/dds-prerequisites/ for IUSD are there to tell you to take a certain amount of credits such as 20 in bio and 12 in chem... etc. Then IUSD has listed below classes that they strongly recommend you are CORRECT they are NOT required to apply to the D.D.S program. HOWEVER!!!!!! This is where it will hurt you if you do not take at least some of the recommended classes.

Applicants are looked at based on their GPA and DAT (we all know that) but IUSD does a holistic review so ya you might have a 3.9 GPA but what classes did you take. So going to that list that they strangely recommend and by taking those classes this is not only showing your ability to follow directions (IUSD likes that) but if you do well in those classes it is kinda like an extra point on your overall score to be accepted. Ok now yes if you have a killer GPA with high level bio and chem this might not apply to you. But if your GPA is average and DAT about that too these classes that you took that they recommended will help you in the long run. When the committee goes over the applications they will look at who is prepared and who took what. IUSD wants to assure that the students that get in can handle the class load (as it is a VERY HEAVY load!) so if you can take what they recommend I STRONGLY ADVISE YOU TOO!

If you cant take them its ok you can still apply and give it a try. Also by taking those classes you will help yourself when it comes to the material in dental school.

Hello,

Let me try to remove some of your confusion and straighten things out a bit. The new changes you see here https://www.dentistry.iu.edu/index.php/prospective-students/admissions/dds-prerequisites/ for IUSD are there to tell you to take a certain amount of credits such as 20 in bio and 12 in chem... etc. Then IUSD has listed below classes that they strongly recommend you are CORRECT they are NOT required to apply to the D.D.S program. HOWEVER!!!!!! This is where it will hurt you if you do not take at least some of the recommended classes.

Applicants are looked at based on their GPA and DAT (we all know that) but IUSD does a holistic review so ya you might have a 3.9 GPA but what classes did you take. So going to that list that they strangely recommend and by taking those classes this is not only showing your ability to follow directions (IUSD likes that) but if you do well in those classes it is kinda like an extra point on your overall score to be accepted. Ok now yes if you have a killer GPA with high level bio and chem this might not apply to you. But if your GPA is average and DAT about that too these classes that you took that they recommended will help you in the long run. When the committee goes over the applications they will look at who is prepared and who took what. IUSD wants to assure that the students that get in can handle the class load (as it is a VERY HEAVY load!) so if you can take what they recommend I STRONGLY ADVISE YOU TOO!

If you cant take them its ok you can still apply and give it a try. Also by taking those classes you will help yourself when it comes to the material in dental school.
Thank you for the response! but I'm talking about students who already got in and didn't take those pre requisites!

Just got an interview on Jan 11! OOS

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone have any advice on choice of words if I decided to call the school and ask about the status of my application? Haven't done this yet, would it be best to just ask if my app has been reviewed yet?

Thank you for the response! but I'm talking about students who already got in and didn't take those pre requisites!
yes this goes for both students that are in the application process (got in to IUSD) and who aren't it will hurt you either way if you didn't take at least a few of those classes.

Last edited:
yes this goes for both students that are in the application process and who aren't it will hut you either way if you didn't take at least a few of those classes.

you can get it without but if you have a weak area in your application they will look at those classes. so its really just depends on how strong the students application is and these classes can be a fall back. But the students who got in no, those classes where not required.

Does anyone have any advice on choice of words if I decided to call the school and ask about the status of my application? Haven't done this yet, would it be best to just ask if my app has been reviewed yet?
They are really nice in the office and calling is always a good thing todo! I would just ask what you said "Hey I'm just wondering if my application has been received and what stage is it in right now?" something like that . BEST OF LUCK!

They are really nice in the office and calling is always a good thing todo! I would just ask what you said "Hey I'm just wondering if my application has been received and what stage is it in right now?" something like that . BEST OF LUCK!

Okay that is awesome! Thanks for your response and advice, I really appreciate it!

I just received an rejection email today! For those of you who don't receive an interview invites today. You are all rejected. They are just so lazy to send the rejections emails. I don't understand their rush to finalize their interview list for what reason, there are lots of qualified applicants I think IU just missed. Maybe that is the reason they have low stats inDAT and GPA compare to other schools.

Got in touch with admissions and they said for this year the only requirement is to have a minimum of 20 biology credits. They said that if you don't take a recommended class such as anatomy and physiology, it won't impact your provisional acceptance status. But they strongly recommend it so that you are ready for the rigors of dental school.

I just received an rejection email today! For those of you who don't receive an interview invites today. You are all rejected. They are just so lazy to send the rejections emails. I don't understand their rush to finalize their interview list for what reason, there are lots of qualified applicants I think IU just missed. Maybe that is the reason they have low stats inDAT and GPA compare to other schools.
I understand your frustrations with IUSD, I too am frustrated since I got rejected after an interview. But, I don't think your comment about the DAT and GPA is fair. There are many qualified applicants that excel beyond their DAT and GPA and do wonderful in dental school and in Dental practice. I applaud IU for having a holistic view on applicants and giving students the chance despite low stats.

Reactions: 4 users
Maybe that is the reason they have low stats inDAT and GPA compare to other schools.

giphy.gif

Reactions: 3 users
I understand your frustrations with IUSD, I too am frustrated since I got rejected after an interview. But, I don't think your comment about the DAT and GPA is fair. There are many qualified applicants that excel beyond their DAT and GPA and do wonderful in dental school and in Dental practice. I applaud IU for having a holistic view on applicants and giving students the chance despite low stats.
Sorry, I pissed with IU when I receive the email, I can't believe I have no interview with IU with my stat. Maybe I don't belong IN. I did not say IU is a bad dental school, it can be better if they give more chances to High stats applicants.

I'm with you on that one. Yes, I applaud IU for having a lower DAT/GPA ranking this means they truly care about their applicants and give everyone a chance. I know plenty of people with lower stats that are in school and graduated from IU who are AMAZING! Each and every person functions differently and a standardized exam shouldn't stop you from your dream. People all have strengths and weaknesses.

Received interview for 01/10 or 01/11.. Not sure if I should go. How good of a dental school is Indiana University compared to Rutgers University and University of Maryland in terms of clinical opportunities, patient pool, and basically preparation to become a good dentist? I'm a FL resident. Got accepted in Nova, Rutgers (NJ), and University of New England (Portland, Maine)... I have to choose one. But I want to choose the best possible dental school that offers me vast clinical exposure, and I worked very hard to do well on the DAT, having English as my second language. Is Indiana University a great dental school? If anyone can provide me with any information, I'd greatly appreciate it because I have until tomorrow to reply to the email.

declined the interview. best of luck to you all!

People mind saying how many shadowing hours they have? The website says 100 hours minimum but the number is arbitrary because after 20 hours i already feel i know what happens in the clinics i shadow.

People mind saying how many shadowing hours they have? The website says 100 hours minimum but the number is arbitrary because after 20 hours i already feel i know what happens in the clinics i shadow.

I had 354 shadow hours and 5000 hours as a dental assistant. Interviewing on the 11th

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Website is updated for next year's requirements, it's actually 40 general hours. Accepted and had ~50 general, 15 oral surgery, 15 perio, 700 ortho + worked in ortho office.

Holy **** wtf. You guys must have known you've wanted to be a dentist from the start I see.

Holy **** wtf. You guys must have known you've wanted to be a dentist from the start I see.

I started an internship with my orthodontist in high school where I shadowed 2 hours 4 days a week, so I had a head start on that. The rest I just did over winter and summer breaks throughout my first 3 years of college.

I had 70 or so. 30GP, 15 Perio, 15 ortho, and then 10 OMFS.

I see the shadowing requirement as a way to weed out people who have decided impulsively to pursue dentistry. These people are seemingly more likely to drop out when things get tough. That being said, 100 is a lot - how different can each day honestly be? Also, 100 can really be difficult for people who work full-time in the summer, have few connections, are non-traditional..

My status changed on aadsas when they received my deposit to "Offer Accepted" also on the email they stated cancelled check will serve as the receipt? So the $1000 won't be taken out of my account? So far it hasn't been.. Did anyone get their check cashed by IU?

Attachments

• IMG_0539.PNG
    IMG_0539.PNG
    308.7 KB · Views: 128
Status
Not open for further replies.