MCAT The Gold Standard MCAT Book (with 3 Free MCAT CBT's) - Raffle & Product Info

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mark3.jpg
All science sections covered in detail!​

mark3.jpg
Review for Verbal Reasoning + 3 Free Practice MCAT CBTs !

mark3.jpg
"Five minute, Five step" approach to the Writing Sample!​

mark3.jpg
Conversion tables for your scores!​

mark3.jpg
Over 100 diagrams and illustrations!​

mark3.jpg
"The Recipe for MCAT success": A clear plan to excel at the new test !

mark3.jpg
Plus! Improve your chances of getting into medical school !​

mark3.jpg
Free online access to ten hours of teaching videos !

Book Description

The 16th Edition of The Gold Standard is THE complete and fully updated review for the new Medical College Admissions Computer Based Test (MCAT CBT). The 16th Edition of The Gold Standard continues to be one of the best selling manuals, standing as the flagship for the industry. The Gold Standard includes a comprehensive and easy to understand review of the MCAT, 3 pull-out full-length practice exams with explanations, and hundreds of pages in full color!.​

NEW features include three dimensional color diagrams, MCAT objectives, equation lists, chapter review questions, mnemonics section, and an organic summary. BONUS No.1: Students also get The Gold Standard exams as MCAT CBTs - free and online. BONUS No.2: Free online access to ten hours of teaching videos!

The 16th Edition of The Gold Standard covers all key aspects of medical school admissions. All science sections are covered in detail. Proven verbal and writing strategies are designed to aid the student to competently prepare for the MCAT verbal reasoning section. The "Five Minute, Five Step" approach to the writing sample, tried and tested by students throughout the world is elucidated. Conversion tables for your MCAT scores are included.

The Gold Standard will teach you how to improve your grades, how to prepare for the medical school interview, strategies for autobiographical materials and letters of references, and much more. Over 100 diagrams and illustrations take the MCAT learning experience to a new level!

Gold Standard MCAT will give away one copy of The Gold Standard MCAT Book (2011 Edition) to one lucky member. Winners for each raffle will be drawn from among the members who post questions about the product or otherwise meaningfully contribute to the discussion.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
How exactly is the prep material organized? I know it says that all science sections are covered, but is it broken down by course, i.e. Bio 1, Bio 1, organic, etc?

I have heard that the science is much more difficult than the real test - is this true?

Members don't see this ad :)
You can preview some of the content pages of this book on Amazon-- shows some of the science sections

Does it provide resources and strategies for minority/underrepresented students also?

What do the teaching videos cover?

In your opinion, what separates this science content review from the material that other test preparation companies publish?

• Structure and style. In terms of structure, the science content is unique because every single chapter starts with listing What you need to Memorize, What you need to Understand, What you don't need to know and then a basic introduction. In terms of style, we believe in the quality of our explanations and illustrations.

How exactly is the prep material organized? I know it says that all science sections are covered, but is it broken down by course, i.e. Bio 1, Bio 1, organic, etc?

I have heard that the science is much more difficult than the real test - is this true?

• We don't mind being known as having practice material slightly more difficult than the real exam. It is more important to excel on the real MCAT than on practice tests.

Does it provide resources and strategies for minority/underrepresented students also?

• This textbook is focused on the MCAT as opposed to medical school admissions in general. The following is a helpful resource: http://www.snma.org/

What do the teaching videos cover?

The online videos cover the same topics as the DVDs which are listed below.

BIOLOGY - Disc 1: Introduction, The Eukaryotic Cell, Plasma Membrane, The Cell's Interior, DNA, The Cell Cycle, Protein Synthesis; Disc 2: Viruses, Prokaryotes vs. Eukaryotes, Bioenergetics, The Neuron, The Nervous System, The Endocrine System I, The Endocrine System II; Disc 3: The Menstrual Cycle, The Circulatory System, Blood Composition, Lymphatic and Immune Systems, The Digestive System I, The Digestive System II; Disc 4: The Excretory System I, The Excretory System II, Gametogenesis (Meiosis), Genetics I, Genetics II, Genetics III, Genetics IV, Genetics V

ORGANIC CHEMISTRY - DISC 5: Stereochemistry I, Stereochemistry II, Stereochemistry III, Reaction Mechanisms I, Reaction Mechanisms II, Reaction Mechanisms III, The Carbonyl Group I, The Carbonyl Group II; DISC 6: The Carbonyl Group III, Acetals/Ketals I, Acetals/Ketals II, Substitution I, Substitution II, Substitution III, Carboxylic Acids I, Carboxylic Acids II; DISC 7: The Tetrahedryl Intermediate, Amides, Amino Acids, Protein Structure, Elimination I, Elimination II, Alkenes I, Free Radicals, Redox Reactions; DISC 8: Redox Reactions II, Redox Reactions III, Aromatic Rings I, Aromatic Rings II, Spectroscopy, Nuclear Magnetic Resonance, Elimination vs. Substitution

GENERAL CHEMISTRY - DISC 9: The Atom, The Periodic Table, Chemical Bonds, Hydrogen Bonds, Ionic and Covalent Bonds, Lewis Dot Structures; DISC 10: Multiple Bonds, Resonance, Molecular Polarity, Hybridization, Hybrid Orbitals, Gases, Avogadro's Law, Equation of State, Graham's Law, Liquids, Maxwell's Distribution Plot; DISC 11: Boiling, Melting Points, Le Chatelier's Principle, Solutions, Phase Diagrams, Raoult's Law, Boiling, Freezing Point Changes, Acids and Bases, Acids and Bases: Strong, Acids and Bases: Weak, Titrations; DISC 12: Oxidation Numbers, Solubility Product, Thermochemistry, Calorimetry, Thermodynamics, Hess's Law, Rate Law, Energy Diagrams, Electrolysis, Electrochemical Cell

PHYSICS - DISC 13: The Atom, Nuclear Reactions, Radioactive Decay and Half-Life, Electricity vs. Gravity, Electric Circuits I, Electric Circuits II, Electric Circuits III, Kirchoff's Laws DISC 14: Kirchoff's Second Law; Characteristics of Waves; Interference Of Waves; Diffraction; Optics; Sound; Doppler Effect; Electromagnetism; Electromagnetic Spectrum; Reflection; Refraction, Thin Lens; Snell's Law; DISC 15: The Critical Angle, Force and Motion, Weight and Units, Friction, Applying Newton's Laws, Trigonometry, Projectile Motion, Work, Circular Motion; DISC 16: Circular Motion Problem, Work-Energy Theorem, Energy and Entropy, Momentum, Law of Torques, Fluids, Fluids in Motion, Archimedes' Principle

Are there meaningful explanations to some of the chapter review/exam questions within the book?

How have the GS materials been improved over the past year? Have some of the concerns about the VR section been addressed? If so, how?

How have the GS materials been improved over the past year? Have some of the concerns about the VR section been addressed? If so, how?

Yes, we have been addessing this issue and will launch the revised tests at the end of April. This question is addressed in some detail in the Gold Standard MCAT CBTs thread.

Does the book include sample essays with explanations on what went well/what went wrong for the Writing Sample?

Are the 3 free exams that come with this book in addition to the free one on your website?

Members don't see this ad :)
Are the online videos downloadable for viewing later?

Do you think that this book could be used on it's own as a study guide or would it be more beneficial to be used in conjunction with other prep books?

Are the 3 free exams that come with this book in addition to the free one on your website?
The free exams that come with the book are GS-1, GS-2 and GS-3. The free exam online for students who don't own the book is GS-1 so there is overlap of 1 exam.

Are the online videos downloadable for viewing later?
The videos use the same technology as Youtube. You must be on the website in order to watch the videos. This is of course done to protect the copyright of the materials. DVDs are available separately for students who prefer portability.

Do you think that this book could be used on it's own as a study guide or would it be more beneficial to be used in conjunction with other prep books?
The 2011 Edition of the Gold Standard was a finalist for 2 national book awards. We feel that this new 1000 page edition can stand on its own for successful MCAT preparation.

Do you recommend buying access to the teaching videos as well as this book? Would the videos be necessary if we have gone through this book thoroughly?

By the way, this book looks great! Hardcover has never looked better haha.

Do you recommend buying access to the teaching videos as well as this book? Would the videos be necessary if we have gone through this book thoroughly?

The best part is that you don't need to decide right away! When you get the book, you get 10 hours of free videos so you can see if they are useful to your review or not.

Would you mind expanding on "verbal reasoning review", is it more like a strategy session?