DAT The Gold Standard DAT DVDs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
datfrontcover3.JPG

DAT Dental Admissions Test Prep
DAT-prep.com
Category: DAT Video DVDs
12 Videos; instructional

mark3.jpg
12 Video DVDs cover all the important DAT science topics.

mark3.jpg
Clear lecture-style teaching.

mark3.jpg
This Newest Edition now comes with a DAT Study Plan!

mark3.jpg
Biology, General and Organic Chemistry.

mark3.jpg
All videos can be played on a regular DVD player, laptop or a desktop with a DVD drive.

mark3.jpg
DAT Videos Index.

Gold Standard DAT will give away one copy of The Gold Standard DAT Video DVDs to one lucky member. Winners for each raffle will be drawn from among the members who post questions about the product or otherwise meaningfully contribute to the discussion.

* There are no specific DAT videos. However, students started buying these videos and telling us that they were amazing for the DAT. The science topics described by the ADA for the DAT test are the same as the science subject reviews from MCAT-prep.com for Biology, General Chemistry and Organic Chemistry.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Are the DVDs interactive by offering quizzes at the end of each lecture or something similar to that nature?

you have got to see their quality.. its something like CDM's :cool:

Wow, what a great resource! Personally, for me the DVDs would be a great study guide for the DAT because I'm a visual learner, so it's easier for me when someone explains to me rather than reading. I'm sure a lot of students who study for the DAT would agree.. Thanks for such a great resource! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Are the DVDs interactive by offering quizzes at the end of each lecture or something similar to that nature?

The videos have a teacher (Dr.) in front of a white board and after presenting topics, he constantly turns to common question types.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prsndwg
you have got to see their quality.. its something like CDM's

Whats CDM?

Hmmmm, I thought I'd try some guesses for fun!

College of Dental Medicine, an acronym used by some US dental schools, such as Columbia?
Compact Disk Movie?
Course Description Metadata???

Whatever it means, the DVDs are digital but not HD.

How long are each video? Also, will it supply any most common type of questions to help study?

Each of the 12 DVDs are between an hour and 1 1/2 hours.

Common question types and problem solving skills are constantly reviewed.

A study source on dvd seems very convenient. Is there a way to continue at a part where we left off?

The DVDs are subdivided by topic into chapters so that you can find your way back. Of course, if you are using a computer to view the DVDs, then everytime you restart or reboot your computer, the DVD starts exactly where you left off.

A study source on dvd seems very convenient. Is there a way to continue at a part where we left off?

At present, there is no bookmark function on the DVD itself, though obviously some DVD players have some kind of feature that indicates where the DVD was last viewed. If your DVD player does not have this function, you could just keep track of where you left off and fast-forward to that section when you view the DVD again.

How different is this compared to the DAT destroyer, aside from the format and no QR ?

wow, this sounds like a good deal, i would probably learn better this way as i am a visual learner. My questions:
1. Is there a forum or a question/answer session or a way where we can ask questions online to the presenter?
2. Do I own this software/dvd once I purchase it? I recently bought a TopScore for DAT, I was given a code to unlock a key and I was told I could only use it for 6 months. Does this work the same way?

Thank You

Yes, once purchased, you own the DVDs and can watch them at your leisure as though you purchased any 12 DVD movie! But really, there are no codes and no access limits.

We are currently setting up a free Forum for Q & A.

The DVDs are unlike software. The videos have the feel of a tutor who is able to make difficult topics easy to understand while teaching in front of a whiteboard.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you recommend a particular study plan for students to follow with these DVDs? E.g., watch a set of DVDs for one subject per week and take a practice test on that subject, then repeat with other subjects, etc....

Thanks for the reply...still no sign of what CDM is though...great guess though! :)

Thanks for the reply...still no sign of what CDM is though...great guess though! :)

Other guesses:

Certified Dietary Management
Community Dimensions in Media
Course in Diseaster Management
Charlie David Maxwell ( this guy I lent $ 10 to in highschool, and STILL owes me - Charlie I'm looking for you ).

Do you recommend a particular study plan for students to follow with these DVDs? E.g., watch a set of DVDs for one subject per week and take a practice test on that subject, then repeat with other subjects, etc....

Along with the DVDs there is a clear study plan on how to follow them. Might I suggest for those who want a more complete review to use the Gold Standard MCAT Book* which is cross-referenced through the video. For those who want a more comprehensive package for studying, might I suggest getting the Complete DAT Review prep package which includes the DAT DVDs, the Gold Standard DAT 4-book Review (Biology, General & Organic Chemistry, QR & RC, PAT), TopScore (which includes 3 complete DAT tests ), 2 full-length Gold Standard DAT practice tests, Medical School Interview DVD and a deck of Gold Standard MCAT Flashcards.

* There are no specific DAT videos. However, students started buying these videos and telling us that they were amazing for the DAT. The science topics described by the ADA for the DAT test are the same as the science subject reviews from MCAT-prep.com for Biology, General Chemistry and Organic Chemistry.

Last edited:
This sounds like a good product. Has anyone used it? Is it more for supplemental purposes or could it also be used to learn the subjects? How often is the information updated? Thanks for answering the questions. It is always good to learn about new ways to study for the DAT. Are there any small sampler clips available to review?

Thanks!

This sounds like a good product. Has anyone used it? Is it more for supplemental purposes or could it also be used to learn the subjects? How often is the information updated? Thanks for answering the questions. It is always good to learn about new ways to study for the DAT. Are there any small sampler clips available to review?

Thanks!

We have had great reviews from pre-dental and now dental students about the clear teaching on these DVDs. You should think of these DVDs similar to a really good teacher: makes learning much easier but it's still important to have a textbook.

The DVDs are updated annually.

You will see some clips here (just scroll down on the landing page and you will see Watch Video for a few topics):

Biology

General Chemistry

Organic Chemistry

By the way, these 12 DVDs are available as a package that includes a 4-book Review (Biology, General & Organic Chemistry, QR & RC, PAT), Flashcards, Medical School Interview DVD, 2 full-length Gold Standard practice tests and the Newest Edition of TopScore (updated practice tests): for the package, click here: DAT Prep

Last edited:
By the way, these 12 DVDs are available as a package that includes a review book, flashcards and the 2010 Edition TopScore CD (updated practice tests): for the package, click here: DAT Prep

TopScore has PAT on it...does the review book with the Complete Package offer anything on PAT?

As mentioned above, the Topscore Pro comes with the Complete DAT Package. Non-science parts of the DAT are discussed in a guide that is also part of the Topscore and is described this way on their website:

The guide "A Comprehensive Study Guide for the Dental Admission Test" by Thibodeau and Mentasti, is a review guide detailed in 5 lengthy chapters that cover

1. The Dental Admission Test
2. Survey of the Natural Sciences
3. Perceptual Ability Test
4. Reading Comprehension
5. Quantitative Reasoning

Each chapter contains detail tips, hints, exam strategies, AS WELL AS detailed topical outlines which you can follow to study and make sure you study the covered topics. This guide is "thick" much like a course syllabus where you study from and use it to formulate and organize your notes. You will certainly want to print it out and bind it.

Our Complete DAT package also includes a whole book dedicated to the PAT: DAT PAT review with strategies, lots of practice, advice and 1 full-length DAT practice test!

Check out the Gold Standard DAT PAT video!

Last edited:
im just curious to know whether any of these review packages and test preps are fully comprehensive; therefore, encompassing all the relevant material to be seen on the DAT. I am tired of searching and finding people recommending multiple packets from different sellers. isnt there a single buy option from someone that gets you everything you need?

This is, indeed, a comprehensive package for studying for the DAT. All topics are covered in the Complete DAT Review prep package which includes clear science teaching in the DAT DVDs, the Gold Standard DAT 4-book Review (Biology, General & Organic Chemistry, QR & RC, PAT), TopScore (includes the Guide described above plus 3 complete and realistic DAT tests), 2 full-length Gold Standard DAT practice tests, Medical School Interview DVD and a deck of Gold Standard MCAT Flashcards.

Last edited:
Are there practice tests in this package?

I was just curious if the perceptual portion is similar to Crack DAT PAT? -Does an instructor go over each shape, etc.?

Are there practice tests in this package?

Along with the Complete DAT Review prep package, comes a Topscore, which has the best DAT practice tests available with the license key
( Newest Ed; 3 full practice tests, 18 exams ). There are also 2 full-length DAT practice tests that come with the Gold Standard DAT package - which are available online with purchase of the Gold Standard DAT 4-book Review - making it a total of 5 full-length DAT practice tests.

Last edited:
There seems to be no plant biology in the videos for the "DAT Gold Standard", when it is clearly present on the DAT and not on the MCAT. Is there Plant Biology on the videos?

If not, this product seems to be a relabeling of the MCAT Gold Standard materials for the DAT, with a Topscore DAT bundled together.

Status
Not open for further replies.