The "future" of pain medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
interesting article - a position paper from a site that seems to be dedicated to "bringing science to the masses".

1. from page 2 the bias is evident - "derived from opium, this class of painkillers is the most effective tool to fight both chronic and acute pain". no mention of the science behind this statement for chronic pain.

2. there is also a clear disconnect in the various statistics that are quoted. at one point mentioning that the US consumed 80% of world's opioid supply but stating that the 127% increase in opioid use in the past 10 years is "accepted to be the result of widespread undertreatment" of pain. huh? we are the outlier already, consuming 80% of opioids, how are we undertreating pain compared to rest of the world?

3. making comments about % that reach black market, and "prescriptions appear legitimate" are incredible assumptions that do not speak to any scientific method I know of. at least quote the exact source.

4. using the APS and AAPMedicine and purposefully comparing their MED recommendations (200) to the CDC to discredit the latter is puerile. then stating: "People are suffering as a result of these guidelines." another assumption. and "We cannot move away from opioids until we have better ways to manage pain."

5. finally this: "Until we develop better ways of managing pain, we either risk opioid dependence or let people suffer." again that is an opinion, not a scientific fact.

6. it is unclear who wrote the article. the 2 listed people appear to be the graphics designers. which makes me wonder who exactly wrote the article and made the assumptions noted above. I personally believe it is Big Pharma (the only listed sponsor appears to be Dubai Future Foundation.) apparently you can become a contributor by signing up via Facebook or Twitter?

in none of the other Infographics articles on that website did I read any articles that use assumptions - the rest seem to be very science based, without derogatory statements such as "let people suffer", and none of them end with "we must do this or else", even the ones about resurrecting extinct animals or GMOs.

CDC Guidelines. Do not forget...

The guideline helps providers make informed decisions about pain treatment for patients 18 and older in primary care settings.

Members don't see this ad :)
The Future of Pain Management - Futurism
The Future of Pain Management (Futurism)

The future of pain medicine is YOU cranking it out for some capitated/salaried/RVU-based compensation while your RN-admin is bonused on your productivity.

The future of pain medicine is YOU being held accountable for holding down costs while your health system CEO enjoys attending travel junkets with theme's like "aligning physicians with population health priorities."

The future of pain medicine is the orthodontist's, accountant's, and IT exec's kids going to travel abroad summers and college-prep enrichment programs while your kid stays at home.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
The future of pain medicine is YOU cranking it out for some capitated/salaried/RVU-based compensation while your RN-admin is bonused on your productivity.

The future of pain medicine is YOU being held accountable for holding down costs while your health system CEO enjoys attending travel junkets with theme's like "aligning physicians with population health priorities."

The future of pain medicine is the orthodontist's, accountant's, and IT exec's kids going to travel abroad summers and college-prep enrichment programs while your kid stays at home.

isnt just always like this:

images

interesting article - a position paper from a site that seems to be dedicated to "bringing science to the masses".

1. from page 2 the bias is evident - "derived from opium, this class of painkillers is the most effective tool to fight both chronic and acute pain". no mention of the science behind this statement for chronic pain.

2. there is also a clear disconnect in the various statistics that are quoted. at one point mentioning that the US consumed 80% of world's opioid supply but stating that the 127% increase in opioid use in the past 10 years is "accepted to be the result of widespread undertreatment" of pain. huh? we are the outlier already, consuming 80% of opioids, how are we undertreating pain compared to rest of the world?

3. making comments about % that reach black market, and "prescriptions appear legitimate" are incredible assumptions that do not speak to any scientific method I know of. at least quote the exact source.

4. using the APS and AAPMedicine and purposefully comparing their MED recommendations (200) to the CDC to discredit the latter is puerile. then stating: "People are suffering as a result of these guidelines." another assumption. and "We cannot move away from opioids until we have better ways to manage pain."

5. finally this: "Until we develop better ways of managing pain, we either risk opioid dependence or let people suffer." again that is an opinion, not a scientific fact.

6. it is unclear who wrote the article. the 2 listed people appear to be the graphics designers. which makes me wonder who exactly wrote the article and made the assumptions noted above. I personally believe it is Big Pharma (the only listed sponsor appears to be Dubai Future Foundation.) apparently you can become a contributor by signing up via Facebook or Twitter?

in none of the other Infographics articles on that website did I read any articles that use assumptions - the rest seem to be very science based, without derogatory statements such as "let people suffer", and none of them end with "we must do this or else", even the ones about resurrecting extinct animals or GMOs.
Funny how they note that America uses 80% of the world's opioid prescriptions, and yet claim that pain is currently being undertreated and people are suffering. Is the rest of the world in persistent, unending agony from a lack of opioids? Europe consumes far less, and the people there hardly appear to be suffering. And prescription opioids kill 14,000 people per year, a rate higher than people killed by firearms, and yet we're not handing enough of them out?

I'm all for novel and effective pain management, but an infographic based around opioids being the best thing ever is hardly the "future" of pain management.

Reactions: 2 users
I have never seen an infographic that was worth looking at, and this is no exception. Lots of nice displays of meaningless and misleading data.
It is also odd that the graphic spends so much space on genetic therapy when there is no genetic therapy available for any painful condition, although hopefully sickle cell anemia will be treatable soon. But that's almost unique in being a single point mutation that causes painful disease. Nobody expects to find a "back pain" gene any time soon, let alone therapy for it.