The Frugal Interviewee...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SpoiledMilk

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
An upcoming II requires 4.5 hrs on the road each way. Cheapest total cost is still driving, if factoring convenience and time. The school does not provide student hosting, and the cheapest motels have bad/frightening reviews (i.e. roaches, bed bugs, bad side of town, rats, etc.). With a prior bedbug infestation experience, I have a phobia/aversion about sleeping in dirty beds with these little boogers!

Since I have a gym membership with branches in the city, I will be trekking up there, prepping, and getting dressed in the gym before heading to the school for the interview. I will be "camping" out in the back of my mini-suv with a pillow to rest up, likely in a far off corner of the gym's parking lot.

Conservatively, I think I can manage this interview trip <$60, only putting ~554 miles on the odometer, barring any emergencies.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 6 users
An upcoming II requires 4.5 hrs on the road each way. Cheapest total cost is still driving, if factoring convenience and time. The school does not provide student hosting, and the cheapest motels have bad/frightening reviews (i.e. roaches, bed bugs, bad side of town, rats, etc.). With a prior bedbug infestation experience, I have a phobia/aversion about sleeping in dirty beds with these little boogers!

Since I have a gym membership with branches in the city, I will be trekking up there, prepping, and getting dressed in the gym before heading to the school for the interview. I will be "camping" out in the back of my mini-suv with a pillow to rest up, likely in a far off corner of the gym's parking lot.

Conservatively, I think I can manage this interview trip <$60, only putting ~554 miles on the odometer, barring any emergencies.
Are you positive the school has no host option? Try calling the admissions office directly and asking/begging. They usually don't advertise too much on the official website or interview invite e-mail because spots are scarce.

As far as camping in your mini-SUV, just make sure you're comfortable there. I'm very comfortable sleeping in my car, I've taken a few road trips to clear my head and would camp out in my car, so I know I'm personally fine doing that. However, doing that before an interview for medical school? That's a very different story, are you sure you'll be able to sleep like that? You'll be nervous that night, I guarantee it.

Are you positive the school has no host option? Try calling the admissions office directly and asking/begging. They usually don't advertise too much on the official website or interview invite e-mail because spots are scarce.

As far as camping in your mini-SUV, just make sure you're comfortable there. I'm very comfortable sleeping in my car, I've taken a few road trips to clear my head and would camp out in my car, so I know I'm personally fine doing that. However, doing that before an interview for medical school? That's a very different story, are you sure you'll be able to sleep like that? You'll be nervous that night, I guarantee it.

You're right! I didn't get an email about the hosting with the II email. I didn't know I could call the school to inquire about that. Thanks!

Surprisingly, my mini-suv has backseats that fold forward, so I have an instant bed. I took little naps in rest areas like this on a previous II, and I was lights out with the only thing waking me was my phone's alarm. But thanks for the suggestions!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Make sure to ask admissions to vet your host to the same level as those motels

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

You're right! I didn't get an email about the hosting with the II email. I didn't know I could call the school to inquire about that. Thanks!

Surprisingly, my mini-suv has backseats that fold forward, so I have an instant bed. I took little naps in rest areas like this on a previous II, and I was lights out with the only thing waking me was my phone's alarm. But thanks for the suggestions!!

This is something I would do, and would have no problem showing up at an interview the next day. It sounds like you're already pretty comfortable, but you might consider investing in the REI camp beds - they are somewhat inexpensive (probably the cost of one hotel stay), and super comfy. I use them instead of an air mattress when I travel.

This is something I would do, and would have no problem showing up at an interview the next day. It sounds like you're already pretty comfortable, but you might consider investing in the REI camp beds - they are somewhat inexpensive (probably the cost of one hotel stay), and super comfy. I use them instead of an air mattress when I travel.

I'll look into it. Thanks for the suggestion!!!

See if Airbnb has anything to offer. I swear by it

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm super short, so I'm a huge fan of sleeping in my car on road trips, ski resort parking lots, etc. I approve of your plan.

I'm super short, so I'm a huge fan of sleeping in my car on road trips, ski resort parking lots, etc. I approve of your plan.

And this probably doesn't mean much to most people here, but if Tommy Caldwell can sleep in his van then climb El Cap, so can you ;)

Reactions: 1 users

Finally, an advantage to not being as tall! :laugh: :thumbup:

Reactions: 2 users
And this probably doesn't mean much to most people here, but if Tommy Caldwell can sleep in his van then climb El Cap, so can you ;)

Puts things into perspective!

Finally, an advantage to not being as tall! :laugh: :thumbup:

We went to an adventure photography workshop and one guy slept in a tiny car every night. I was super impressed. I'm average height, so it's a bit tougher for me. But I think he was 5'3" or something, and it worked out really well.

Update: Total cost of this interview came under budget---> $47.03 :horns::happy:

Great school!!!

Reactions: 6 users
I drove my CR-V from San Diego to VA this summer. We usually stayed in hotels but I did do a stint of sleeping in the car. I put the seat down and put a sleeping bag and a pillow. It was actually really comfortable.

Exactly! For applicants with less financial resources like myself, I think being able to make the situation work by any means necessary and by being creative, will one day, make the whole interview process more meaningful and a worthwhile story to tell. That's how I choose to look at this process!

Exactly! For applicants with less financial resources like myself, I think being able to make the situation work by any means necessary and by being creative, will one day, make the whole interview process more meaningful and a worthwhile story to tell. That's how I choose to look at this process!

And, seriously, if you don't get in you should definitely use this story as a way you used creativity to overcome an obstacle.

And, seriously, if you don't get in you should definitely use this story as a way you used creativity to overcome an obstacle.

Yes. However, my fingers are crossed that I won't have this option...Hahaha

Yes. However, my fingers are crossed that I won't have this option...Hahaha

Yes, for sure! Let us know if you hear from them! It's almost too bad you can't use this story this year.

We took an epic road trip across America and did everything from sleeping in the car to camping in state parks to staying in hotels. I'm kind of bummed that I could use that story for only one secondary this year...

I've found that the most important thing when doing an interview or entering a stressful situation is comfort and familiarity. I arrive the night before, stay at a comfortable hotel, do a dry run of the route to the interview, get food that can easily be reheated and throw it in the fridge for the morning. I iron everything, come with two suits, two shirts, two ties, two pairs of shoes- redundancy is important, as I don't want one thing like a coffee stain on a shirt or a shirt that mysteriously shrunk during the last wash to ruin my vibe for the interview. I've got a 100% acceptance rate s/p interview, which I largely attribute to preparation and mindset. Remember, a few dollars now that boost your mood, confidence, and reduce how tired you are might garner you an acceptance that saves you a reapplication cycle.

Reactions: 3 users
I've found that the most important thing when doing an interview or entering a stressful situation is comfort and familiarity. I arrive the night before, stay at a comfortable hotel, do a dry run of the route to the interview, get food that can easily be reheated and throw it in the fridge for the morning. I iron everything, come with two suits, two shirts, two ties, two pairs of shoes- redundancy is important, as I don't want one thing like a coffee stain on a shirt or a shirt that mysteriously shrunk during the last wash to ruin my vibe for the interview. I've got a 100% acceptance rate s/p interview, which I largely attribute to preparation and mindset. Remember, a few dollars now that boost your mood, confidence, and reduce how tired you are might garner you an acceptance that saves you a reapplication cycle.

This is very true and I agree with it 100%! I would love to be able to do this on every II that I get, but my circumstances/responsibilities to others dictate that I cannot. But for those who have the means, this is gold!!!