The Best Way to Research TY/Prelim Programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tco

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been looking at FREIDA for TY programs, and then have been Googling the program to find out more information about it. Is there any better way to look up information about programs including: 1. Elective time/Electives available 2. Salary 3. Housing availability 4. Funding for Step 3

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

As far as internet-based information, I think you're right on track. If you're able to find an email address for any current residents, I don't think you should hesitate to contact a resident directly to get some info that wouldn't be readily available on the web. Sometimes the program website have resident names listed, or you might be able to utilize LinkedIn, or even contact an admin assistant at the program asking if you could get in touch with someone. I've had a couple of prospective residents contact me by email out of the blue, and I've been able to provide them with a helpful info and answers to specific questions that they wouldn't have been able to figure out via the internet. You may not hear back from some residents, but I think it's worth a try.

I've been looking at FREIDA for TY programs, and then have been Googling the program to find out more information about it. Is there any better way to look up information about programs including: 1. Elective time/Electives available 2. Salary 3. Housing availability 4. Funding for Step 3

Thanks.

why look at FREIDA for the programs? I would think looking at ERAS would be a better idea because sometimes the FREIDA list isn't correct (at least that was my experience with it)

Members don't see this ad :)
why look at FREIDA for the programs? I would think looking at ERAS would be a better idea because sometimes the FREIDA list isn't correct (at least that was my experience with it)

Thus, why I'm asking.

Thus, why I'm asking.

I see. Well in terms of looking up WHICH programs exist and are accepting apps for this cycle I would look at ERAS. For the other info I think you'll have to resort to going through each website individually...

I see. Well in terms of looking up WHICH programs exist and are accepting apps for this cycle I would look at ERAS. For the other info I think you'll have to resort to going through each website individually...

Thanks. I hadn't thought of using ERAS.

I'm doing an away right now and the residents are saying that a prelim year in medicine at their institution is automatic if you match here. Is there any way to find out if other programs do this as well?

Thanks. I hadn't thought of using ERAS.

I'm doing an away right now and the residents are saying that a prelim year in medicine at their institution is automatic if you match here. Is there any way to find out if other programs do this as well?

Yes...but it involves asking the programs directly (or checking their websites). That said, it's not uncommon for this to be the case.

Yes...but it involves asking the programs directly (or checking their websites). That said, it's not uncommon for this to be the case.

Do I have to apply to each program's associated prelim year, or is it that I would be matched automatically on the condition that I match with the institution's advanced program?

Sorry for all of the basic questions... This whole TY/prelim thing just seems way more complicated than it should be.

You usually have to apply and they often interview same day. Depends on specialty and program though.