The Apprentice Doctor How to Suture Wounds CD-ROM and Suturing Kit

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctor Anton

The Apprentice Doctor - Future Doctors Academy
Vendor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
SUTURE WOUNDS LIKE A TOP SURGEON!
Suture-Wounds-Kit.jpg

Dear Student

The Apprentice Doctor is again offering 5 Suture Kits as part of the SDN Test Prep Week raffle! Simply ask a question or comment on the subject of suturing (below) to take part in the raffle. Winners will be judged by the content of their question/s or comment/s .

If you need to gain proficiency in your Suturing skills – it is my honest opinion that you won't find a better tool for the purpose.
This is a REAL testimonial that I received recently in my Email Inbox:

Dear Dr Scheepers
Thank you for an excellent product.
I have been teaching the suture skills workshop for the past 4 years at the University of the Witwatersrand. This year I purchased your kit, just to appraise its contents and see if I would recommend it to our students.
The DVD in particular is truly exceptional and emphasizes all the key points that I would like the students to master during the workshop.
I have discussed my view of your product with the clinical graduate coordinator, Dr Lionel Green-Thompson (I have copied him in on this email).
We would like to make this part of the "clinical pack" that we offer the students starting their clinical training. I think that further discussion with regard to this matter will be required.
Thanks again for an excellent resource.

Best Regards

Marshall Murdoch
Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeon

The Apprentice Doctor® "How to Stitch up Wounds" Suturing Course & Kit

The Course on a Multimedia Interactive CD-ROM (PC and Mac) covers:

• How to professionally care for wounds
• How to tie a number of surgical knots (6 practical projects)
• A variety of suturing techniques (13 practical projects)
• About suturing instruments and items, needles, suture thread etc…
• How to neatly tie sutures and avoid ugly scars
• How to hold a needle holder and work with a tissue forceps
• How to properly line up a wound margins
• How to elevate a wound when suturing and why that's important
• How to treat a wounds aseptically and minimize the chance of infection
• How to correct a dog's ear suturing defect
• How to prevent common wound complications like wound dehiscence
• Experience various incredible case studies
• Test your knowledge while having fun – playing suture games
• Assessment modules included for teachers and lecturers

The theory is clearly explained and well illustrated. Suturing and knot tying skills are acquired while students are performing over 20 fun practical projects, and what's more – all the necessary real medical instrument and items are included: Basic Imitation Skin, Needle Holder, Scissors , Suture Material, Suture needles - in total an 18 PIECE SUTURE KIT!!

Recommended training material for All Healthcare Professionals whether prospective, in training or qualified:
Pre-medical students - Medical students - Dental students - Veterinary students

For more information follow this link:

The Apprentice Doctor How to Stitch up Wounds Course and Kit

To all SDN members and visitors we are offering this amazing Suturing Course/Kit Combination for a "cut-to-the-bone" $69 - and what is more: Shipping is free in the USA and Canada!

Enjoy your suturing course!

The Apprentice Doctor Team

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
This looks like a good practice product, but how many needles are included? How much practice is it possible to get with the included equipment before we have to purchase replacements?

Thanks!

The Kit contains 12 eyed needles and many many meters of silk suturing thread. Also 5 sachets of real suturing material - Chromic catgut and or Nylon - with atraumatic needle attached. Simply judged by our experience - 99% of students seem to have enough material to practice suturing to their satisfaction - and requests for any replacements are a rare occurrence. But it is available on request. Thank you for the question!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm just wondering if you have a practice kit that doesn't require a pig's foot. I'm interested in practicing as realistic a scenario as possible, but I can't buy a pig's foot all the time. Do you have a kit that allows for practice with string or yarn such as the one Ethicon has?

How frequently do you update the video to keep up with changing suture techniques?

The course material is in the process of being thoroughly reviewed. We add information and new techniques from time to time on the Apprentice Doctor website.Keep in mind that although technology changes all the time - the basic principles change very little!
Thank you - good question.

Dreiko
We add a simple - but very effective piece of fake skin - practice until you feel comfortable then use pig's foot to add a bit of realism. String, eyed needles and a couple of sachets of suturing material included.
Best wishes with your studies!

This is awesome. As an current 2nd year (soon to hit 3rd yr), I've wanted to at least attempt to at least learn how to suture but never really knew that there was a kit available. Seems like an awesome tool for those scared to undergo their surgery rotation.

I a terrible at suturing; I know there is no easy fix besides actually practicing, but the reviews say this product is a good alternative. You mention you add fake skin - do people think it is "realistic" and a good stepping stone for being able to perform in the OR?

Hi pandoraone

Unlike the 20 and 30 years ago when students learned how to suture on patients in the ER room, simulation and getting comfortable with performing a skill has become both a reality and a prerequisite - for the sake of patients - but also for the sake of the medical professional (to gain confidence). The skin in the kit is very simple - but effective for the purpose. And yes - "practice does make perfect!"
Thank you for the question.

Last edited:
As an anesthesia resident, I don't suture wounds frequently (admittedly) but I suture lines in all the time...

The biggest criticism I get from my attendings are that:
1) I'm too slow
2) the occasional granny knot still manages to sneak in
3) one or two attendings want me to throw ties one handed

Does your kit have anything that would simulate line suturing and any instruction for one-handed ties?

Hi Depakote - a great deal of successful suturing revolves around proper knot tying - so we do spend a fair part of the course on proper knot tying - including two-hand and one-hand tying techniques - for right-handed and left-handed individuals.
The next software upgrade will have a section on suturing lines and surgical drains...
Thank you!

The Apprentice Doctor Suture Course could easily sell for $149.00 - $199.Our medical course and kits offers great value in the form of knowledge, information and instruments, with numerous practical hints and skills that you won't find in any medical text book.
FEBRUARY SPECIAL OFFER:
To mark the launching of our NEW WEBSITE we are offering the following crazy special offer until midnight, February 28, 2013. We will add one PROFESSIONAL SUTURING UPGRADE OT-QUALITY INSTRUMENT SET valued at $49 for just $1 more – when ordering the Suture Kit!
REGRET – USA, UK AND CANADA ONLY
http://www.theapprenticedoctor.com/store/products/how-to-stitch-up-wounds/

Last edited:
Hi pandoraone

Unlike the 20 and 30 years ago when students learned how to suture on patients in the ER room, simulation and getting comfortable with performing a skill has become both a reality and a prerequisite - for the sake of patients - but also for the sake of the medical professional (to gain confidence). The skin in the kit is very simple - but effective for the purpose. And yes - "practice does make perfect!"
Thank you for the question.
This is the first I've ever heard of a CD-ROM guided Suturing Instruction Kit and Video and I'm already sold! I'm a 4th year medical student that's had a few months of surgery, OB and ER under my belt and really wish I would have seen/heard of this earlier...I feel I could have gotten so much more out of these rotations had I done so.
Each attending I worked with did things a little bit different. They just told me I'll figure out the way I want to do it and then master that technique (as far as hand placement, speed control, needle control, etc.).
Do the videos offer multiple ways of accomplishing the same thing? Different methods of right/left handed approaches, needle manipulations to increase speed so my attendings aren't sitting on their hands waiting for me to close?
Thanks so much

Hi Kirbyross - the following knot tying and suturing methods are covered on the CD-ROM:
BASIC KNOTS
Case Study - The Surgeons Knot
Project Alpha: A demonstration of a square knot and a granny knot
Project Beta: Make a square knot: Two-hand tie
Project Gamma: Make a square knot: One-hand tie
Project Delta: Make a surgeon's knot: One-hand tie
Project Epsilon: Make a square knot: Instrument tie
Project Zeta: How to make a surgeon's knot (Instrument tie)
SUTURING TECHNIQUES
Case Study - Rhode's Ear
Case Study - Hazards at work
Basic principles of wound care
A basic course in suturing techniques
Project A: How to place subcutaneous sutures
Project B: How to place interrupted sutures
Project C: How to place interrupted sutures with buried knots
Project D: How to place continuous sutures
Project E: How to place continuous interlocking sutures
Project F: How to place horizontal mattress sutures
Project G: How to place vertical mattress sutures
Project H: How to place "Far-and-Near" sutures
Project I: How to place subcuticular sutures
Project J: How to place a purse string suture
Project K: How to correct a "Dog's Ear
Project L: How to correct unequal levels of tissue
Project M: How to remove sutures

We are working on the next version - will have a fair amount of more advanced subjects covered.
Best wishes with your studies!

This looks really interesting. I went to a suturing skills session at my med school but it was difficult to be very proficient in a few hours time with no access to home materials.

Is this the type of thing that you think would be effective to do 10-15 minutes at a time? I'm thinking during a study break. How long does each module take? If the modules are short enough, I'm thinking that this would be a great idea for first and second year med students interested in surgery or other procedure-heavy fields to get some suturing experience without the pressure of attendings watching your every move.

Doctor Anton:

Thank you for the "Table of Contents"...I am really excited about it...like sector9 said, roughly how long will each module last? Is this something that can be done in an hour lunch break or 30 minutes in the morning or before bed, or is it better to really set aside a chunk of time to dig in and improve my skills?

Thanks again

This looks really interesting. I went to a suturing skills session at my med school but it was difficult to be very proficient in a few hours time with no access to home materials.

Is this the type of thing that you think would be effective to do 10-15 minutes at a time? I'm thinking during a study break. How long does each module take? If the modules are short enough, I'm thinking that this would be a great idea for first and second year med students interested in surgery or other procedure-heavy fields to get some suturing experience without the pressure of attendings watching your every move.
Hi Sector9
Most students find the +-3 hour suturing skills workshop way insufficient for learning all the knot tying and suturing skills. This is very much a suturing sim lab in a box - one can use it anywhere, anytime - you only need a laptop with a CD-ROM drive. You can break up the course in as may sub-units as you want.

Best wishes for a great future!

Doctor Anton:

Thank you for the "Table of Contents"...I am really excited about it...like sector9 said, roughly how long will each module last? Is this something that can be done in an hour lunch break or 30 minutes in the morning or before bed, or is it better to really set aside a chunk of time to dig in and improve my skills?

Thanks again
Hi Kirbyross - the table of contents quoted above is just part of the course material. I think one should reserve about 20-30 minutes to tackle a specific practical project. (Of course with motor skills a fair amount of variation exist.)

Is there a list of schools/programs that currently use your product (specifically vet)? Thank you.

Is there a list of schools/programs that currently use your product (specifically vet)? Thank you.
It is almost impossible to offer a full list - as we have many resellers in the US/UK/Canada, Africa and Australia - but our market research shows that about 15% of our sales goes to Vet students.Groups often order our group special - at this point in time more than 50% discount for order of 30 kits or more (right at the bottom of the product page - http://www.theapprenticedoctor.com/store/products/how-to-stitch-up-wounds/ ). Trust this helps!