The Apprentice Doctor® 'How to Stitch-up Wounds' Suturing Course & Kit

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Doctor Anton

The Apprentice Doctor - Future Doctors Academy
Vendor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Suture Kit 400 x 400.jpg
The Apprentice Doctor® 'How to Stitch-up Wounds' Course & Kit is a products designed to assist prospective medical professionals to gain proficient suturing skills and to learn the basic principles of wound care.

On completion of this course you should have a good understanding of:
The basic principles of wound care
Knot tying techniques (as related to knots used in surgery)
Surgical instruments used in suturing
Suture materials
The various suturing techniques used by medical professionals

And you should also have the following skills:
Placing sub-cutaneous sutures
Placing interrupted sutures
Placing a variety of mattress sutures
Tying a square knot (two-hand tie, one-hand tie, and instrument tie)
Tying a surgeon's knot (one-hand tie, and instrument tie)
Using a number of other types of suturing techniques
Correcting minor discrepancies while suturing
Removing sutures

"What are the basic subjects covered in the course?"
To answer this question, let's have a look at The Apprentice Doctor® "How to Stitch-up Wounds" Course index:
Introduction and Preparation
Basic Principles of Wound Care
Surgical Knot Tying
Basic Suturing Techniques
Complications of Suturing

"Can you offer me more information regarding the 26 practical projects?"
Yes of course! You will learn how to tie a variety of common surgical knots, how to stitch-up wounds and care for wounds using a 3-layered artificial skin that was specifically designed to imitate the feel and elasticity of the skin. The instruments and items (included in the kit at no extra cost when purchasing the Course material on CD-ROM) will be used to complete the majority of these projects.
Now let's have a look at The Apprentice Doctor® "How to Stitch-Up Wounds" Course projects index:
Familiarize yourself with the Suture Kit
Attach Suture Material to a needle
How to clip the needle to a needle holder
Prepare imitation skin for practicing suturing
How to construct a rod for practicing suturing
A demonstration of a square knot and a granny knot
Make a square knot: Two-hand tie
Make a square knot: One-hand tie
Make a surgeon's knot: One-hand tie
Make a square knot: Instrument tie
Make a surgeon's knot: Instrument tie
How to place subcutaneous sutures
How to place interrupted sutures
How to place interrupted sutures with buried knots
How to place continuous sutures
How to place continuous interlocking sutures
How to place horizontal mattress sutures
How to place vertical mattress sutures
How to place "far and near" sutures
How to place subcuticular sutures
How to place purse string sutures
How to correct a dog's ear
How to correct unequal levels of tissue
How to remove sutures

"What do I get for my order?"
A PC and Mac compatible CD-ROM which contains the course material and practical projects.
The "How to Stitch-Up Wounds" course material comes on an interactive CD-ROM, and teaches you the basic principles of suturing and wound care through video clips, illustrations, detailed instructions, games, and more. With an 18-piece suture kit included, you will gain both theoretical knowledge and practical skills while performing 26 practical fun projects!
An 18-piece suture kit with a needle holder, scissors, a tissue forceps as well as imitation skin, suture thread and needles, and other items - all of which will be used as you work your way through the course.
...and to the first 100 orders we will add absolutely free of charge A Finger Puse Oximeter valued at $99.00

Click Here to order your own The Apprentice Doctor® 'How to Stitch-up Wounds' Course & Kit

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Wow, this is really cool! How much time does it take to work through the entire course? Also, what level of basic knowledge is assumed/needed before beginning? I would guess that completing a surgery rotation should be more than enough background, but can you confirm? Finally, this is a kind of weird question, but I'm curious from a practical standpoint: what holds the artificial skin in place while you're suturing it? That was always the most challenging thing for me when I was trying to practice suturing at home. :oops:

Hi QofQuimica
Time required to work through the course depends on level of proficiency - but a novice will really take a minimum of 10-14 hours to cover all the course material plus practical projects. Students from high school to practicing doctors have used the course/kit but in general a bit of theoretical and practical surgical knowledge would make it easier to complete the course.
The Artificial Skin gets taped down to e.g. a table with masking/sticky tape. I must admit that the skin in the kit hasn't been perfected yet - but we are working on it. Luckily students are resourceful and e.g. chicken/turkey breast (with skin) does give the feel of the real thing to some extent.
Thanks for the positive comments, and all of the best with your studies!

Members don't see this ad :)
looks very useful. after looking around your website I was wondering, do you or will you in the future sell refills (imitation skin or anything else in the kit that could "run out")?

Hi cuadrado
Yes we will have extra "skin" and other extras avaiable for re-ordering on our website in the near future. In the mean time students make use of the "Contact Us" page and we foreward more skin (or whatever) more or less at cost plus mailing.

Does your product clarify differences in suturing extremeties vs. suturing more important locations such as the face or genitalia?

Where applicable we do comment on specific applications e.g. subcuticular sutures are used in esthetically sensitive areas, suturing in anatomical layers etc. - but the course material doesn't try to substitute the clinical coaching process (the finer details of specific applications) that occurs in the clinical situation. The course material endeavors to lay a general foundation while the student picks up to the specific clinical applications of suturing in specific anatomical regions during his/her clinical training. We tried not to be too prescriptive regarding the specific applications to allow for the variance in preference of the different wound closure techniques…

Wow. I need this. I can't tie a knot with my hands to save a life.

Damn, this looks great for those of us who are going to need help with basic suturing techniques in primary care...and maybe didn't get a whole lot out of their surgery rotations.

Your product looks really cool. Is is a relatively new product? How long have this been around?

Just curious, what is the imitation skin made of? Does it dry out or anything like that?
Can the course materials be saved to a computer or do you always need the CDROM?

Status
Not open for further replies.