The Apprentice Doctor® “How to Stitch up Wounds” Suturing Course & Kit

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just wondering what the imitation skin was made out of... is it something that will change consistency after time?

Members don't see this ad.

This looks great. However, I'm wondering do the instructions and materials emphasize superficial wounds more than deep surgical wounds?

If I wanted to practice on pig skin, would it dull the needles and tools prematurely, or is the quality of this enough that it will hold up?

Members don't see this ad :)
I was just wondering what the imitation skin was made out of... is it something that will change consistency after time?
It will keep its consistency for 2-3 years - but will deteriorate after this period. The bulk of the skin is a special type of foam rubber covered by a 2 layer skin like material.

This looks great. However, I'm wondering do the instructions and materials emphasize superficial wounds more than deep surgical wounds?
It really emphasize technique - how one applies it to various depths of surgical wounds is up to the mentor in the clinical situation... the basics of suturing deep wounds in anatomical layers are well emphasized.

If I wanted to practice on pig skin, would it dull the needles and tools prematurely, or is the quality of this enough that it will hold up?
The basic instructions do recommend the use of pig/chicken tissue once the students have mastered technique on the imitation skin. Enough needles (12 eyed needles), rolls of suturing material and a couple of real suturing sachets (Nylon and Chromic catgut) are supplied.

Would this kit be good for physicians/ residents in the Family Medicine/ Sports Medicine fields? We periodically hold suturing workshops and this seems like a good kit for that.

Would this kit be good for physicians/ residents in the Family Medicine/ Sports Medicine fields? We periodically hold suturing workshops and this seems like a good kit for that.
Yes - this kit would fit the purpose like a glove... following the workshop students will be able to practice their suturing technique as much as they like at home.

This seems like a great learning tool. Besides the "how to..." stuff, does it teach which types of sutures are appropriate in different conditions/situations?

This seems like a great learning tool. Besides the "how to..." stuff, does it teach which types of sutures are appropriate in different conditions/situations?
Yes - general guidelines are provided - but specifics are left to the mentoring process during the various clinical settings. We are adding a detailed section on the various materials as well as various needles in the next version.

Do you also have the different types of needles? It sounds like you include something similar to skin, but how about other things like bowel or fascia?

Wow! This sounds like an excellent deal, and I can't wait to try it!

I've used multiple suturing kits during by previous training, but I've NEVER had one offer imitation skin before!:thumbup:

One question: Let's imagine that I just cannot figure out what error I am making on a particular stitch repeatedly ... (I know that you mentioned that specifics are left to the mentoring while in the clinical setting, but...) Is there a way to email or contact someone in association with the kit about a specific error that I may be making?

Thanks! :D

The fake skin is quite practical - but please don't over-anticipate - it simply isn't the real thing... and keep in mind that we have tried to make the kit as affordable as possible to as many students as possible - thus we weren't able to use expensive novelty materials for the skin. A more expensive kit by another manufacturer has a somewhat better piece of fake skin - but it sells for >$150. Problems with suturing - yes you are welcome to contact me via the "Contact us" on the main menu on the www.stitchupwounds.com website – and then I can send you my email address. All of the best with your studies!

Do you also have the different types of needles? It sounds like you include something similar to skin, but how about other things like bowel or fascia?
The intention of the course and kit is really to teach the basics of suturing and allow the student to and practice various basic knot tying and suturing techniques - we are working on a more advanced kit that will include some of the items that you have suggested. We do comment to some extent on the various types of suturing needles - but the needles in the kit are quite basic – round bodied eyed needles for use with the rolls of Silk suturing material and assembled needles on the Chromic and Nylon packet of suture. Thank you for your comments - appreciated.

Looks like a great product :thumbup:

you mentioned that the imitation skin can be used over and over. my concern is if the material that the skin is made of retains a memory of a suture I made before. for instance, if I use a section of imitation skin, remove the sutures and re-use that region again, would the needle piercings through the skin be visible of the first suture? would that area that's being reused be easier to suture than an unused area? i'm someone who needs to practice over and over and I know a memory suture would frustrate and hinder my progress :oops:

thanks,

Status
Not open for further replies.