Texas Tourism

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RustedFox

The mouse police never sleeps.
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wife and I are kicking around the idea of Texas for a short vacay next month.

Suggestions of fun things to do?

Members don't see this ad.

Mount bonnel in Austin - sweet view.

There's a whole host of beef brisket places there that are pretty kickass too.

Big Bend National Park.

There's a huge network of underground caves 20 minutes from San Antonio - there's also the famous river walk there.

Stockyards in Ft Worth if you're into that sort of thing.

Revolving restaurant in downtown dallas.

There's also the sixth street museum where Kennedy got shot in dallas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, little warm here right now ...

It depends on where you are. It's a big state, so not easy to get from city to city without driving/flying. The best area is obviously Austin-San Antonio as the two cities are < 2 hour drive away from each other and both have fun things to do. If you want to see the coast, Corpus Christi is about 3 hours from San Antonio and has some nice beaches and restaurants.

Thanks, all.

The heat isn't going to stop us, as we are regularly in the high 90 degree range here in FL.

Big Bend seems waaay far out. Hmm.

Reactions: 1 user
Somebody just died of heat stroke last week in Big Bend; it's a terrible time of year to go there, but you should go at a better time of the year. There's tons of other stuff to do in that region of the state. You can fly into Midland for Big Bend, Guadalupe Mountains, and various other area attractions. Just do it in non-summer months. Hill Country region (San Antonio/Austin) would likely be best for this time of year, as there are more indoor things to do but still some surrounding outdoor prettiness. Very high density of state parks in the Hill Country area. There's water to swim in, too, which is good during this hotness.

I would do San Antonio/Austin/hill country wineries and fredericksburg. Manageable in a week.

Sent from my SM-G930V using SDN mobile

San Antonio.

Easy access to the Riverwalk, Mission Trail, and Hill Country.

Remember the Alamo!

Texmex and BBQ joint

Alamo was the best part of my SA visit besides my hotel stay and Rudy's BBQ
Rudys bro? There are so many better bbq places for bbq!

Members don't see this ad :)
Where at in Texas?

If Austin:

I'd suggest
-Town lake, maybe paddle board in the morning before it gets hot then move over to Barton springs pool to cool off
-If you prefer more of a hike then I would go down one of the many paths leading to or from barton springs near the green belt
-Mount Bonnell is a good quick trip and not really a hike, more like a walk up some stairs. Don't let the name fool you. Its a hill
-If you want to see a nice sunset go to the Oasis above Lake Travis (Don't go expecting great food though)
-Visit one of the many local breweries (I went to 3 yesterday all within 3 miles of each other)
-Walk down south congress to get a t shirt and enjoy the view looking up at the capital and downtown
-I'd go enjoy some jazz at the elephant room to enjoy some night life downtown
-Go enjoy some BBQ, there are so many in town just pick one with a semi short waiting line
-Listen to some live music

Houston:
-Stay somewhere near the rail if you stay downtown and move down to the museum district for good food and some great art
-If you stay downtown realized that downtown is all business during the day and quite dead after work hours. Of course, bars are open but its nothing like Austin or Dallas downtown
-The zoo if pretty good if thats your thing
-Visit one of the many large parks
-Houston has hands down the best food in Texas. Its such a diverse city you can find anything and everything
-Grab drinks in montrose neighborhood, enjoy some live music
-eat more great food
-visit NASA and see the real control center for the Apollo missions
-With all of the national sports teams present and festivals that go on, see if you can find some event that you enjoy
-this time of year, its hot and humid. Good luck bro

San Antonio
-Stay near the river walk and check out all the tourist destinations
-I would honestly go during a 1st friday weekend. Its a mini festival full of live music, arts, craft beer the first friday of every month in a district just south of downtown
-Its going to be hot
-try some great Mexican food
-visit the missions
-wonder around downtown for some great night life and live music
-if you're traveling with family consider going to schlitterbahn in new Braunfels (about 30-40 min north of downtown. Its a very large water park which in the summer time will be much needed to escape the heat

Dallas/El Paso, I don't have as many recs. Feel free to message if you have any questions. Each city in Texas is very different and have their pros/cons. Be ready for heat in the summer. The other day my car thermometer was already reading 103F.

Marfa, TX is pretty cool, but I'm guessing that it's not quite what you're looking for.

I went to med school in Dallas and this was my main hobby:

Full Custom Gospel BBQ

Lockhart FTW.

Despite what Hill Country people would have you believe, the prettiest part of TX is actually the Piney Woods if you like trees. Go to Red Hills Lake some weekday during the summertime and get the whole lake to yourself if you don't mind the heat.

Forgive me cause I'm from the North where we don't eat brisket. We are baby ribs and hotlinks folks.
Let me know cause we are going back in spring break!

Smoke shack in san antonio. If you got time for a drive, coopers/franklins/blacks. Just plan ahead for franklin.

Sisterdale is awesome.

salt lick has a winery attached and live music sometimes with a great outdoors area you could make an afternoon out of.

Float a river. Comal, Frio, Guadalupe. It's pretty fun.
Go to Schlitterbahn in New Braunfels, and only that one. The rest suck.
South Padre Island, and you can take a daytime jaunt into Mexico if you want
Museums and Zoos in Dallas. Or Houston.
San Antonio Riverwalk and Mission Trail.

Is south padre any nicer than Galveston? Aside from the awesome seafood there, wasn't a fan of Galveston (RF is going to be disappointed there after being spoiled by Florida beaches).

Is south padre any nicer than Galveston? Aside from the awesome seafood there, wasn't a fan of Galveston (RF is going to be disappointed there after being spoiled by Florida beaches).

Much nicer.
It wouldn't be hard to be nicer, but yes, they're much better. You still have a bit of seaweed, but it's not muddy. Jamaica Beach on GI isn't that bad, but the downtown seawall beaches are terrible.

These aren't blue water white sand Caribbean or east gulf beaches though.

San Antonio River Walk!
Chocolate IceBox Pie from the Tip Top Cafe in San Antonio!
Any entree at Mi Tierra in San Antonio!
Go Spurs!