Texas rotations for a 3rd year DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

trs88

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I was wondering if anyone had some thoughts on how I can complete my goal or if there are any "master list" type resources that I didn't know about. Residency is any, just want to go back home.

As a 3rd year, my schools lets us travel wherever for 5 months worth of our rotations, we just need a physician to sign off. My number 1 goal in life is to go back home to Texas, near Houston preferred. Problem is, is that every single physician/medical center/hospital/school master list has rejected me from rotating with them. Most of my reasons for getting rejected are: 4th year only, this person hasn't had a student rotate with them for 10 years, students are a pain - I don't want to, extended family members swearing they'll help then ghosting.

Normally I would suck it up and apply during 4th year VSAS for places back home, but all of them near Houston are tied to residencies (a good thing) but all require usmle scores - bad thing for me because I might have to cancel step if my scores wont increase. Meaning I wont get to do any audition rotations at those residencies even if their website says they're fine with DOs and comlex only.

So, that's a lot of words and the TL;DR is if anyone knows if there's a Texas master list of physicians that take on students for rotations. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I grew up in two states and would love to go back to either one but like you, I also found it tough. I can only imagine how tough it would be for Texans. I hope you have more luck than I did (I gave up lol)

No insight for you as far as third year goes, but I'm a fourth year DO student who moved back to Texas for my fourth year and had zero trouble setting up my entier year via VSAS. I did take USMLE, and I know it was required for a few of the EM programs Im rotating at, but I think it's specialty specific. JPS in Fort Worth is pretty DO friendly (this is where the bulk my my spring rotations are set up), so you may have some luck there. Again, kinda just depends on what specialty youre looking at. Just letting you know that it is possible!

Members don't see this ad :)
Quick update, thanks for the replies everyone. Probably taking step. But I finally got a yes from a physician to let me rotate with them.

It's only for 1 month but it's in Houston. Just a tip for anyone else needing ideas. When you shadow someone in order to get a letter of recommendation from them. Leave on a very good note and keep all correspondence and contact information. 3 years ago I shadowed someone, set up the opportunity through the office manager (not the physician) and did my thing. So, I went through my old emails, found the office managers email and sent her a message and surprise, they allow students to rotate. Trying to set it up now but waiting to see if our schedule dates can overlap to allow for a rotation.

So do your ER rotation down at Memorial Herman, your FM rotation down at Conroe -- easy, peasy setup....no worries.

:( Wish that could work. ER rotation is 4th year mandatory at my core site (west virginia) and FM rotation (3rd year) mandatory core site as well.