residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Austin2019

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
-

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi guys,
I'm confused if I will be qualified as a Texas resident at the time of application.

I've been living in Texas for 7 years. I went to college here and worked for a year after I graduated. I was qualified as an international student in college but I got my green card recently and became a Texas resident. So I will be paying instate tuition for my post bacc starting this fall.

But I need to go to NY next spring and work there for 5 months. (It's related to my green card so I can't just not go). I'm going to keep my driver's license and apt here in Texas while I work in NY.

So my question is will I become an OOS applicant because I was physically absent from texas for 5 months? Has anyone been in a similar situation?

I called TMDSAS, but they didn't give me a definitive answer. They said they need to review once I submit my application. I also called TX higher education coordinating board, but they weren't sure either.
I could only find info from public undergrad sites, but it looks like you'll keep your residency as long as you do not leave for more than 12 months (and I think even then you can get an exemption if you show it's a temporary job with intent to return to TX).

Reactions: 1 user
If you have established residency ( and it appear that you have) and you maintain your driver's license, apartment, electric bill, and alike you should be fine. Are you working for a company/project in NY state or a Texas company that has an out of state project? Will your W2 or 1099 tax form show a NY or TX address for who is paying you?

Thank you! The company is in NY so my W2 will have their NY address. It's not a work assignment from TX company.

Members don't see this ad :)
How do you prove that it was a temporary leave? Will they require a letter from the company or will they believe what I say? Because the company thinks that I will work longer than 6mons.

@gonnif I read on another forum that as a texas resident you are at a disadvantage applying out of state to any school, public or private because of the low cost of texas schools. what are your thoughts on this?