MD & DO Texas Nontrad: 4.0 cGPA/sGPA, 504 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Trooper512

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all! Just received my MCAT score today... a 504. Obviously disappointed, especially since my AAMC FL 1 and 2 were a balanced 516 and 512, respectively. I'm not sure exactly what I did/didn't do, but hindsight is 20/20. Time to move forward!

4.0 cGPA *Applied Texas Fresh Start to wipe away 98-99 grades
4.0 sGPA
504 MCAT (1st time to write)

Background: White male, born/raised in Texas... small town that meets the requirements for an underserved area (if that even matters at this point). First in the family to attend undergrad/graduate. Post-high school: 1 year of college, non-stellar grades, left for a career in the fire department. Worked for well over 10 years as a firefighter/EMT for a large metropolitan department. Left the department as a well-respected officer to begin my pursuit of medical school. Last, I have a wife and children.

My resume is loaded with extracurriculars, academic and non-academic awards, volunteering, clinical experience, etc (I'm old and have had a few years to accumulate a nice list!). PS and others have been critiqued by several trustworthy people and seem to be really good. LORs should be stellar (2 professors and a fire chief).

Also, for what it's worth, my wife is a physician. We were together while she navigated med school, residency, etc. (we had our children during all of this as well... yes, she's a rock star!)

Had planned on applying to ALL Texas MD/DO (TMDSAS) and Baylor (AMCAS). UT Southwestern had been my goal, but I'm obviously sketchy about that possibility at this point.

Any thoughts, opinions or advice would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for the reply. How far of a reach do you think UTSW would be, given my recent MCAT debacle?

Members don't see this ad :)
Fellow 512er here. I would still apply to all the Texas schools. As mentioned above, Texas loves their GPAs and yours is stellar. MCAT is not ideal but there's still hope. And with TMDSAS it's one flat rate to apply to any of the Texas schools so you might as well apply to them all! Best of luck.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Fellow 512er here. I would still apply to all the Texas schools. As mentioned above, Texas loves their GPAs and yours is stellar. MCAT is not ideal but there's still hope. And with TMDSAS it's one flat rate to apply to any of the Texas schools so you might as well apply to them all! Best of luck.

Nothing like ATX!

I agree. I'm still applying to all TMDSAS for sure. What do you think about Baylor? I've obviously put myself at an extreme disadvantage for a shot there, but I do have a compelling story... I'm just not sure I would get past their initial screening to have a shot at an interview.

Also, what are your thoughts about UTSW? Thanks in advance!

Have you looked at the MSAR for Baylor and UTSW? I believe their 10th percentile MCAT scores are around 510. Have you considered retaking the MCAT?

Have you looked at the MSAR for Baylor and UTSW? I believe their 10th percentile MCAT scores are around 510. Have you considered retaking the MCAT?

Yes, I've seen all of the stats, but I am holding onto hope that I can score an interview in the bottom percentile. My interview skills, experience, and others have the potential to edge me past my dismal MCAT.

That said, I'm not unrealistic and would consider retaking the MCAT if this cycle doesn't work out as I hope.

Thanks for the feedback!

Last edited:
Not sure if you should fill out Amcas just to apply to Baylor.

UT southwestern has a free secondary application so might as well.

With those GPAs though and ECs, I'd bet you end up at a Texas school :)

I feel like your first MCAT was a fluke, considering you did so well on the practice FLs! Did something happen on test day that led to a lower score? I'm wondering if it might benefit you to just retake the test in July, score around your practice average, and be a stronger candidate this year itself...

Can you not add TX schools after TMDSAS submission? Do you have to choose all your schools before you submit? I thought we could edit this later...

Not sure if you should fill out Amcas just to apply to Baylor.

UT southwestern has a free secondary application so might as well.

With those GPAs though and ECs, I'd bet you end up at a Texas school :)

Yup... I have come to the same conclusion! Thanks for the feedback

Can you not add TX schools after TMDSAS submission? Do you have to choose all your schools before you submit? I thought we could edit this later...

Yes, you can add in schools post-submission. It requires an email request be sent to TMDSAS from what I understand. However, I feel decent about my chances for a few interviews... Looking for some Texas love here!

Same thing happened to me on my MCAT, OP. My last AAMC FL 2 days before my exam was a balanced 512 and I scored a balanced 505 on the real thing. I literally didn't sleep the night before because I was so nervous. Maybe that's part of the reason. Part of me wants to take it again just to prove to myself that what I scored wasn't representative of how hard I studied but w/e. I SWEAR I'M OVER IT....

Anyways! As far as DO schools go, I think you have a strong chance of receiving interviews. I'd ask if you've considered applying OOS, but I'm assuming you would prefer not to uproot your family.

Good luck, OP! You and I will get a chance at redemption when we take our boards. Screw the MCAT. ;)

Same thing happened to me on my MCAT, OP. My last AAMC FL 2 days before my exam was a balanced 512 and I scored a balanced 505 on the real thing. I literally didn't sleep the night before because I was so nervous. Maybe that's part of the reason. Part of me wants to take it again just to prove to myself that what I scored wasn't representative of how hard I studied but w/e. I SWEAR I'M OVER IT....

Anyways! As far as DO schools go, I think you have a strong chance of receiving interviews. I'd ask if you've considered applying OOS, but I'm assuming you would prefer not to uproot your family.

Good luck, OP! You and I will get a chance at redemption when we take our boards. Screw the MCAT. ;)

I feel the same way. Initially, I contemplated a retake this cycle, but I've decided to let it roll. Hopefully I can snag several interviews and let my complete application, and my voice, nudge my chances up a few clicks!

Also, I'm going to stick with IS schools for now. The logistics of moving OOS really narrow down that possibility... a risk for sure, but I have to play the cards that I've dealt myself. #self-inflictedMCATdebacle ;)

Looking forward to standardized test redemption down the road though!!