Texas Malpractice Enviroment: Are economic damages capped?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrCommonSense

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if economic damages are capped for malpractice in Texas?

I haven't looked into the economic limits in Texas despite my concerns about malpractice awards. I know Texas is a good state to practice but don't know if economic costs are unlimited

Any info would help from my Texas peeps

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know if economic damages are capped for malpractice in Texas?

I haven't looked into the economic limits in Texas despite my concerns about malpractice awards. I know Texas is a good state to practice but don't know if economic costs are unlimited

Any info would help from my Texas peeps

Am I the only person who works in Texas around here?

Members don't see this ad :)
Only non-economic damages are to my understanding.

No clue. Maybe ask in a law forum.

Keep hearing they will "settle for insurance" but I can never find information about that. Multiple lawyers I have spoken to that are "experts" on this issue can't confirm that they will "settle". Most docs dont know this stuff with Texas considered a great malpractice state. Most docs around these parts think malpractice is risk minimal.

Keep hearing they will "settle for insurance" but I can never find information about that. Multiple lawyers I have spoken to that are "experts" on this issue can't confirm that they will "settle". Most docs dont know this stuff with Texas considered a great malpractice state. Most docs around these parts think malpractice is risk minimal.

At least in one of the 8 figure cases, the main defendant was the University of California, obviously very deep pockets. That case went to trial and there was a large jury award.

At least in one of the 8 figure cases, the main defendant was the University of California, obviously very deep pockets. That case went to trial and there was a large jury award.

Yeah but when you read these cases they assign levels of blame to each party. So the physician gets 20%, hospital gets 50%, etc.

Even if you get 20% of 20 million, that is 4 million with only 1/3 insurance, who covers the other 3 million? Do the lawyers just walk away and say "1 million is enough for me" even though they have a judgement and can go after another 3? Hard to believe

Yeah but when you read these cases they assign levels of blame to each party. So the physician gets 20%, hospital gets 50%, etc.

Even if you get 20% of 20 million, that is 4 million with only 1/3 insurance, who covers the other 3 million? Do the lawyers just walk away and say "1 million is enough for me" even though they have a judgement and can go after another 3? Hard to believe
Most states that have some sort of tort reform have caps on non-economic damages only. That's generally the "punitive damages" portion of the award. Economic damages - actual damages - are not capped because there is no way to know damages in some cases - the cost of care for the nightmare "persistent vegetative state" for years on end would be the prime example. And it depends on the individual. An hourly worker at a local restaurant and a higher-up executive, physician, or attorney, will have drastically different actual damages from lost wages,etc. Also - it depends on the state whether their laws have provisos regarding joint and several liability. In some states, it doesn't matter what the apportionment is among defendants - all are liable for the whole amount if others can't/don't pay, which is why joint and several liability is a key provision in tort reform.