texas law

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sosoo

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
i'm reading from the "ultimate texas mpje review guide 2016," and it covered pretty much every topic i need to study for the exam. however, it doesn't mention how long a prescription is good for. let's say CII script, the book tells you it has to be filled within 21 days. but, what about CIII-V? and non-controls? it doesn't tell you within how many days you have to fill them by before they are invalid?

Members don't see this ad.

APRN and PA have limits on day supply for CIII-CV

i'm reading from the "ultimate texas mpje review guide 2016," and it covered pretty much every topic i need to study for the exam. however, it doesn't mention how long a prescription is good for. let's say CII script, the book tells you it has to be filled within 21 days. but, what about CIII-V? and non-controls? it doesn't tell you within how many days you have to fill them by before they are invalid?

... Don't come to Texas.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
also the book specified "no quantity limit" for CII. can we assume there is no "day supply limit" as well? the book did not specify..... the book only mention 90-day limit on multiple scripts and earliest fill date. this is annoying.

Did you try reading the actual law? It's all there.

Reactions: 1 users
Did you try reading the actual law? It's all there.

i would think an "ultimate guide" would not miss multiple topics that will obviously be on the exam.

i would think an "ultimate guide" would not miss multiple topics that will obviously be on the exam.
I'm scratching my head trying to figure out how you made it through 4 years of school without learning expiration timelines for the different schedules.

The only review anyone should review for TX law is the one Professor Cacciatore Chicken wrote. The rest are trash compared to that golden tome.

I'm scratching my head trying to figure out how you made it through 4 years of school without learning expiration timelines for the different schedules.

that was 2011, and it was DC law, and MD law. Texas in case u don't know has different laws.

For CII, MD can write one 90 rx or three thirty day rxs all on same date of issue with earliest fill date on 2nd and 3rd month. Rxs have to be filled within 21 days of earliest fill date. Must be written on official prescription pad or sent electronically. Faxing of CII is permissible for hospice, long term care, and compounding purposes. Emergency supplies may be phoned in but must be followed up with a hard copy within 7 days. The quantity of emergency supply isn't specified in law but calling in 30 days worth of Vyvanse for Johnny would not be considered an emergency situation. Midlevels can prescribe CII in limited situations. (I don't recall exact law but don't believe it's in community setting.)

For CIII to CV, state law allow pretty much mimics federal law: one 90 day rx with one refill or one 30 day with 5 refills. Midlevels can only write for 30 days and 2.refills (language says something like and a refill not to exceed 90 days). Transferring of CIII to CV is permitted (even original fill if rx stored). There's some controversy between stare and federal law (which says refills may be transfered but doesn't say original cannot). Some pharmacy chains won't transfer if original never filled. They (CIII to CV) can be transferred only one time unless pharmacy has a real time online database. Short fills don't expire after 5 fills (thinking cash paying customer who gets a week's worth of Suboxone). They can be filled up to original 180 says.
Hope this answers most of your questions

For CII, MD can write one 90 rx or three thirty day rxs all on same date of issue with earliest fill date on 2nd and 3rd month. Rxs have to be filled within 21 days of earliest fill date. Must be written on official prescription pad or sent electronically. Faxing of CII is permissible for hospice, long term care, and compounding purposes. Emergency supplies may be phoned in but must be followed up with a hard copy within 7 days. The quantity of emergency supply isn't specified in law but calling in 30 days worth of Vyvanse for Johnny would not be considered an emergency situation. Midlevels can prescribe CII in limited situations. (I don't recall exact law but don't believe it's in community setting.)

For CIII to CV, state law allow pretty much mimics federal law: one 90 day rx with one refill or one 30 day with 5 refills. Midlevels can only write for 30 days and 2.refills (language says something like and a refill not to exceed 90 days). Transferring of CIII to CV is permitted (even original fill if rx stored). There's some controversy between stare and federal law (which says refills may be transfered but doesn't say original cannot). Some pharmacy chains won't transfer if original never filled. They (CIII to CV) can be transferred only one time unless pharmacy has a real time online database. Short fills don't expire after 5 fills (thinking cash paying customer who gets a week's worth of Suboxone). They can be filled up to original 180 says.

Ravioli Ravioli Your Post Is Wrongioli.

There is no quantity limit on a single CII prescription.

Mid-levels can only prescribe CIIs for inpatient .
I.e. hospital PA/NP writing for a hospital patient for use in the hospital.

There's one in San Antonio that continually tries to write for patients being discharged.

that was 2011, and it was DC law, and MD law. Texas in case u don't know has different laws.

Really? States laws can differ?
Weird.

In case you know, there's this thing called the DEA.
If a state doesn't specify, the law defaults to federal.

Last edited:

Thanks. just to clarify, a single cII Rx by MD will have no quantity limit, but 90-day supply limit? that was my guess while taking the exam.... is it correct? also, for CIII-CV and dangerous drugs, what is the expiration date that you have to get it filled by? i understand with CII Tthe expiration is 21 days..

Wrong wrong wrong WRONG. There is no limit on C2 to C5 quantity. If a doctor wants to write for a 180 day supply of fentanyl patches, nothing in state law forbids it. I suggest you read up on Texas law.

Members don't see this ad :)

What is the salaries out in DC Maryland Va area?
For TX I hear offers from high 50s to mid 70s dependent on location FYI

Wrong wrong wrong WRONG. There is no limit on C2 to C5 quantity. If a doctor wants to write for a 180 day supply of fentanyl patches, nothing in state law forbids it. I suggest you read up on Texas law.

Yep you can write for any quantity of a C2 but it must be filled within we 21days of the date written or earliest fill date. Prescriptions can be written up to 90 days in advance * earliest fill date 90 days out from date written. Jeep in mind day 1 for an rx written o4 19 17 is actually 04 20 17.

If your Making 70s in Texas probably want to consider the location and hazard pay. Hint hint. Maybe it's the cvs on the corner of Zeta and gulf cartel street.

On June 19, 2009, amendments to the Texas Controlled Substances Act allowed
practitioners the option of issuing multiple Official Prescription forms to a patient at
one time. Each Official Prescription form of the multiple set must be written for the
identical Schedule II controlled substance prescription, and the total quantity of the
multiple set may not exceed a ninety (90) day supply.

Thanks. just to clarify, a single cII Rx by MD will have no quantity limit, but 90-day supply limit? that was my guess while taking the exam.... is it correct? also, for CIII-CV and dangerous drugs, what is the expiration date that you have to get it filled by? i understand with CII Tthe expiration is 21 days..
CIII-V can be filled up to 6 months from date of issue (no different than federal law)

On June 19, 2009, amendments to the Texas Controlled Substances Act allowed
practitioners the option of issuing multiple Official Prescription forms to a patient at
one time. Each Official Prescription form of the multiple set must be written for the
identical Schedule II controlled substance prescription, and the total quantity of the
multiple set may not exceed a ninety (90) day supply.

That quote does not address C2 limits. Try again.

salary is about $60/hr in the DMV area. but the cost of living is super high. a small 2BR condo built in 1960s is fetching $180k, and a monthly condo fee $340 where i live. condo fee can go twice as much. in Texas you can fetch a nice single family, and call it home.

It's nice to see that you're telling people to follow your example.

bQ8FrGy.jpg

#REKT

salary is about $60/hr in the DMV area. but the cost of living is super high. a small 2BR condo built in 1960s is fetching $180k, and a monthly condo fee $340 where i live. condo fee can go twice as much. in Texas you can fetch a nice single family, and call it home.

Where in TX are you looking?, I was thinking of leaving TX to try work in DMV actually ahaha opposite of you. I hear cvs lets u keep same pay so thats good in my case. Theres so much free museums and stuff to see in DMV area. do u need all 3 licenses to work retails in DMV

Where in TX are you looking?, I was thinking of leaving TX to try work in DMV actually ahaha opposite of you. I hear cvs lets u keep same pay so thats good in my case. Theres so much free museums and stuff to see in DMV area. do u need all 3 licenses to work retails in DMV
I moved from NY to Boston area and kept my salary. But when I went from there to Hawaii, they offered me a juicy paycut.

im thinking of Dallas, Houston, Austin. anywhere really, except the rural areas and near Mexico border. the DMV area is nice. but the quality of life is reduced when much of your paycheck go for small living spaces. i can't have a huge fish tank in my condo. i don't have a backyard to build a small pond. i feel trapped in a super expensive, 776 sq.ft box. and the monthly condo fee is a total waste of money each month. unlike a mortgage where u earn equity. condo fee is ridiculously expensive, and a waste.

im thinking of Dallas, Houston, Austin. anywhere really, except the rural areas and near Mexico border. the DMV area is nice. but the quality of life is reduced when much of your paycheck go for small living spaces. i can't have a huge fish tank in my condo. i don't have a backyard to build a small pond. i feel trapped in a super expensive, 776 sq.ft box. and the monthly condo fee is a total waste of money each month. unlike a mortgage where u earn equity. condo fee is ridiculously expensive, and a waste.

Here's a few fantastic, affordable properties in Austin for you to check out:

2102 Oxford ave Austin, Texas

1704 Margaret st Austin, Texas

Or, if you prefer another condo:

1600 Barton springs rd unit 4301

Lol. i know Austin is expensive. im thinking of suburbs. in dmv area, even suburbs are ridiculously overpriced.

Lol. i know Austin is expensive. im thinking of suburbs. in dmv area, even suburbs are ridiculously overpriced.

Ohhhh, I'm sure there aren't another few hundred thousand other people with the same idea.

Round Rock and Georgetown are growing at a rate of 80-90%, and Pflugerville is growing at a rate of 260%
That's right. A population growth rate in the closest suburb of nearly 300%

Furthermore, if the Rx Sup sees an address in a suburb on your transfer request, guess where they're gonna send you:
Salado, Temple, Cameron, Rockdale, Bastrop, Buda, or San Marcos.

If you're lucky enough to get a job in one of the stores in south Austin, you're looking at a 25 mile, 1hr and 20 minute drive from Pflugerville or Round rock.

Last edited:
I moved from NY to Boston area and kept my salary. But when I went from there to Hawaii, they offered me a juicy paycut.

Lame! How much of a cut to Hawaii? not more than $10 I hope

Yeah TX living is too easy, big house, no income tax (high prop tax), decent rph wages.

$15 ish. It was a bad offer.

Crazy, I'm guessing 65$ to 50? But I do hear health insurance is very inexpensive there.
How did you decide to go there instead of Florida or PR?

For CII, MD can write one 90 rx or three thirty day rxs all on same date of issue with earliest fill date on 2nd and 3rd month.
Not true. Doctor can't write for 90 day supply of CII on 1 prescription.

are there any actual working texas pharmacists on this board? How u doing [it]. Lol. ^_^

Crazy, I'm guessing 65$ to 50? But I do hear health insurance is very inexpensive there.
How did you decide to go there instead of Florida or PR?
  1. We get fewer hurricanes
  2. I don't need to speak fluent Spanish
  3. I wanted to move to Hilo and get some cheap property (that didn't work out)
  4. My wife had a job opportunity here
  5. It's freakin' Hawaii

Guys, I am a fresh graduate from UIC COD, and I`m looking forward to apply for a TX licensure. What is the best source to prepare for TSBDE Jurisprudence Assessment?
And second question;) How long it usually takes to get the licensure in TX? Other states usually make it in 6-8 weeks. Is it about the same? Thank you in advance!

Guys, I am a fresh graduate from UIC COD, and I`m looking forward to apply for a TX licensure. What is the best source to prepare for TSBDE Jurisprudence Assessment?
And second question;) How long it usually takes to get the licensure in TX? Other states usually make it in 6-8 weeks. Is it about the same? Thank you in advance!

Не знаю