Texas academic fresh start question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I know from experience that one CC here in the metroplex (TCC) will only do AFS if you attended there previously.

That's the one I'm aware of and I learned about it from you sharing your experience. It makes me wonder about the DCCCD colleges, which is where I had originally planned to invoke AFS. I wrote them on Friday as well (every individual one of the 6 colleges) and am so ready to hear what they say. TCC would've been prefect, as we'd planned to move to Plano if Dallas schools worked out.

Members don't see this ad.

Super dope! Lone Star College's page is very inviting in that it states:

An applicant who decides to apply under this statute may not receive any course credit for courses taken at any college or university 10 or more years prior to enrollment.

The entire body of text on their page has that same feel as HCC's does. It doesn't seem like they care about previous schools you've attended and likely won't care about a previous degree either. They just want to make sure you truly understand that once you've applied and are admitted under AFS, there's no going back.

Tuition for all three schools is roughly the same. Lone Star actually beats out HCC. All three Houston schools have lower tuition than the DCCCD schools.

Thanks for the heads up! Now I know that I can attend one of the schools while establishing residency and then apply as a resident under AFS at a different one, without having to worry about the year wait if I were to try to declare AFS at the same school I attended a year earlier.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Super dope! Lone Star College's page is very inviting in that it states:

An applicant who decides to apply under this statute may not receive any course credit for courses taken at any college or university 10 or more years prior to enrollment.

The entire body of text on their page has that same feel as HCC's does. It doesn't seem like they care about previous schools you've attended and likely won't care about a previous degree either. They just want to make sure you truly understand that once you've applied and are admitted under AFS, there's no going back.

Tuition for all three schools is roughly the same. Lone Star actually beats out HCC. All three Houston schools have lower tuition than the DCCCD schools.

Thanks for the heads up! Now I know that I can attend one of the schools while establishing residency and then apply as a resident under AFS at a different one, without having to worry about the year wait if I were to try to declare AFS at the same school I attended a year earlier.

The enrollment office personnel at San Jac Central are often confused, but I have a feeling that you could make it work here. *wink*

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay, here we go....

This is a reply I received from the Associate Dean at Richland College in Dallas, TX:

"You have applied for and been accepted as a college transfer student for the Summer 2017 semester. Because you are not currently a Texas resident, the Academic Fresh Start provision does not pertain to you. If you enroll in classes this summer, you may not apply for AFS. However, if you do not move forward with enrollment within the next 12 months, you would need to re-apply for admission in the future. If you move to Texas and establish residency (domicile) for 12 months prior to your next application and you are accepted (or re-classified) as a Texas resident for undergraduate admission, then you may apply for Academic Fresh Start at that time. If you proceed with enrollment in classes as an out-of-state student this summer, even if you relocate to Texas, you will not have established residency (domicile) for 12 months and will not be eligible for AFS.

The Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board’s statement on the AFS program is this: “Institutions are the final authority on interpreting the Academic Fresh Start statute, so policies may vary.” As an open enrollment campus, we would be happy to have you as a student, but your AFS eligibility is dependent upon your residency status at the time of your application with us as an undergraduate student. Any previously earned credentials are not taken into consideration for acceptance purposes. It is possible that other institutions may have policies that do take earned credentials into consideration."

That final portion is key. They don't care about previously earned credentials, just residency status. They admit that other schools may have policies that don't accept students with previous degrees under AFS, but they themselves don't consider previously earned degrees in their decision.

I've got another email from one of the other DCCCD colleges that is fairly similar. I have written her back asking for reassurance that they do not care about previously earned degrees when it comes to AFS and will let you guys know when I get that clear response.

This is a huge win though!! Looks like Dallas or Houston is a go!!

Please do keep us posted if it works out for you... In the end, I did not ever find any school willing to honor it. So I gave up. However, I apply next year so if you find a solution that would be huge. I'm limited to the DFW region.

Did you ever try the DCCCD schools?

Honestly, I thought I had. I had this whole elaborate spreadsheet of all the schools I had called/emailed . However, I deleted it when I gave up... Very interested if you get a good response.

You might have spoken with the wrong person, perhaps. Who knows. I've just confirmed with Richland College and Mountain View College of the DCCCD schools that it's a go.

You might have spoken with the wrong person, perhaps. Who knows. I've just confirmed with Richland College and Mountain View College of the DCCCD schools that it's a go.
When you say "it's a go," you mean you have in writing that they don't care about previous degrees or that we haven't ever previously attended their schools? Because, if so, where were you last year when I was pulling my hair out over all of this?!?! lol.

When you say "it's a go," you mean you have in writing that they don't care about previous degrees or that we haven't ever previously attended their schools? Because, if so, where were you last year when I was pulling my hair out over all of this?!?! lol.

Hahaha!!!

I do have it in writing that they don't care about previous degrees. I don't yet have it in writing that they don't care about whether one has previously attended their schools. Waiting on replies right now. I forgot about that question and am glad you reminded me, so I went ahead and wrote them back a few minutes ago.

There are so many silly little hoops you have to jump through to be sure about this AFS deal. I am also currently searching for the contact info for the Director/Dean of Admissions at the three Houston schools mentioned in this thread. Gonna get their statements in writing as well.

Hahaha!!!

I do have it in writing that they don't care about previous degrees.
Thank you thank you thank you. A million times thank you. My husband just got a job offer in Dallas, today! I couldn't have planned this better. I'm going to PM you for details.

I've just written the deans at the three Houston schools. Waited on hold and got their email info. Still no word back from the Dallas schools about previously attending their schools and AFS eligibility.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Just heard back from Houston CC and the news is perfect:

"Since it is used strictly for admission purposes and Houston Community College is an open door institution, it does not really affect your admission with our college. We just make a notation when you apply & enroll that you declared academic fresh start. It does not matter whether you attended our school prior to applying for academic fresh start or if you have a degree."

Literally could not be more clearly stated than that. Bam!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you to everyone in this thread for pulling together and sharing your experiences, frustrations and insight so that we could get to this point. I hope that folks in the Dallas and Houston areas are now able to move forward with confidence and peace of mind.

I'll definitely update you all once I hear back from the DCCCD colleges about needing to have attended their school in the past in order to declare AFS successfully.

Meanwhile, the wife and I are now deciding between Dallas and Houston, as Houston was never even on our radar. They've got quite the network of CCs as well! We're planning to take a trip down there in the next month or so and get a feel for both cities.

Meanwhile, the wife and I are now deciding between Dallas and Houston, as Houston was never even on our radar. They've got quite the network of CCs as well! We're planning to take a trip down there in the next month or so and get a feel for both cities.

Suggested plans for your trip to Houston:

1) Stay in midtown/uptown near the Galleria Welcome To The Galleria - A Shopping Center In Houston, TX - A Simon Property
2) Hotels near the Galleria The 10 Closest Hotels to The Galleria, Houston - TripAdvisor
3) HCC campus near Galleria West Loop Campus - Houston Community College | HCC
4) Apartments near Galleria The Best 10 Apartments for 2017 near Galleria/Uptown, Houston, TX - Yelp

Mmm, Houston. I was there a week ago. Any idea of what type of venues you want to check out?

Just got word from the Dean at Richland College:

"There is no requirement for previous attendance at an institution to be eligible for AFS."

There it is!!!

We were thinking of staying up north in the Woodlands/Tomball/Spring area, since traffic isn't bad when commuting from that area to the Lone Star College campuses. We'd also planned to go down to the Galleria area and scout it out as well, along with Missouri City, Pearland and Sugar Land.

What are your thoughts on crime/safety in the Galleria area? I'd love to be in the heart of the city, but we also have 3 children.

Houston is huge, so first thing is to rent a car from the airport. You will need a car, more cost effective than relying on taxis, uber, etc.

The Galleria is the place to be. Crime is everywhere, but for out of state visitors, Galleria is place that I would stay with my family. It is pretty central to all the subdivisions (Woodlands, Pearland, Sugarland, etc) you want to visit via the 610 Loop and I-69 (old Hwy 59). The area surrounding the Galleria (Montrose, Richmond, Westheimer) has that New York Greenwich Village feel to it.

Houston Zoo, Hermann Park, Texas Medical Center, Houston Museum of Fine Arts, etc are all centrally located near the Galleria. Try to fly into Houston Hobby Airport if you can cuz it is closer to Galleria. But if end of staying in Woodlands, Tomball, Spring area (all in North Houston) then closet airport is Bush Intercontinental.

Cost of living wise, Houston is lower than DFW (I believe) and know it is lower than COA in Washington state (visited there before, near Bellingham, WA). Ex. Have many Californians selling their homes and coming to Houston and buying bigger/more amenities single family homes in Pearland, Sugarland for half the price of their tiny homes in Cali.

Houston is huge, so first thing is to rent a car from the airport. You will need a car, more cost effective than relying on taxis, uber, etc.

The Galleria is the place to be. Crime is everywhere, but for out of state visitors, Galleria is place that I would stay with my family. It is pretty central to all the subdivisions (Woodlands, Pearland, Sugarland, etc) you want to visit via the 610 Loop and I-69 (old Hwy 59). The area surrounding the Galleria (Montrose, Richmond, Westheimer) has that New York Greenwich Village feel to it.

Houston Zoo, Hermann Park, Texas Medical Center, Houston Museum of Fine Arts, etc are all centrally located near the Galleria. Try to fly into Houston Hobby Airport if you can cuz it is closer to Galleria. But if end of staying in Woodlands, Tomball, Spring area (all in North Houston) then closet airport is Bush Intercontinental.

Cost of living wise, Houston is lower than DFW (I believe) and know it is lower than COA in Washington state (visited there before, near Bellingham, WA). Ex. Have many Californians selling their homes and coming to Houston and buying bigger/more amenities single family homes in Pearland, Sugarland for half the price of their tiny homes in Cali.

We were planning on flying into Dallas and now I just checked out flight cost flying into Houston. Wow!!! Flying into Houston is much better!!! Huge savings!

I think I also want to stay near the Galleria. Found a couple 4-star hotels near the Galleria. Care to offer your thoughts? All with half a mile or so, so I assume safe. One was about 6 miles away and in SW Houston. Haven't heard great things about that area. No wonder the price on that hotel was so low, haha!

Here is the one I'm looking at in the Galleria area:

Hyatt Regency Houston/Galleria - Hotels.com - Deals & Discounts for Hotel Reservations from Luxury Hotels to Budget Accommodations

Let me know if that looks good based on gogole mapping the proximity to the Galleria. I just booked it, but can cancel anytime. I think it's fine though!

Last edited:
All three a fine, but the DoubleTree is literally right there by the Galleria, just about a 10-12 minute walk or car about 2-3 minutes on Westheimer (EDIT: the main thoroughfare into the Galleria).

EDIT: The hotel you booked is fine...All three are in safe areas....

Wear light clothing, cuz Houston's humidity and heat are kind of oppressing in summer.

Last edited:
Thanks! You must have saw my post before I edited it, haha!

Google Maps says the Galleria and the Hyatt are 0.4 miles away, and a bout an 8 minute walk. Seems a lot closer than what you said, but who knows.

We will dress very light! Part of the reason we want to g so soon is that we wanted to get a feel for summer in Texas, both in Dallas and Houston. We wouldn't be able to go again until it is already cooling down, since my wife ha a break from grad school pretty soon. Perfect timing to get all of this info!

Anyone have any idea what's a good area to stay in Dallas?

Hey guys, I have a question about the AFS program, as this is the first I'm hearing of it.

After high school I took a few CC classes and didn't bother to show up to any of them except for one. Being the idiot I was, I never dropped them either. So now I have a 1.33 GPA (Yeah, I know...) None of them were science classes.

8-9 years down the road and here I am, I want to be a doctor.

I enrolled at TCC to fix my grades and soon found out that med schools look at every class you've taken. Regardless if it's a drop or repeat.

Since I'm right at the edge of the 10 year mark, should I wait it out and declare AFS? Or would that even make a difference on med school admissions?

I've gotten very discouraged about my chances of getting into med school. Even if I work my ass off and get As through the rest of undergrad I'm worried that all those 0s are going to kill my chances.

Thanks for any info you guys can provide.

Thanks! You must have saw my post before I edited it, haha!

Google Maps says the Galleria and the Hyatt are 0.4 miles away, and a bout an 8 minute walk. Seems a lot closer than what you said, but who knows.

We will dress very light! Part of the reason we want to g so soon is that we wanted to get a feel for summer in Texas, both in Dallas and Houston. We wouldn't be able to go again until it is already cooling down, since my wife ha a break from grad school pretty soon. Perfect timing to get all of this info!

Anyone have any idea what's a good area to stay in Dallas?

Is there a specific area you're looking at? Dallas is full of nice spots that are surrounded by ghetto.

Near UT Southwestern is a pretty good area. Mockingbird, Inwood, lower Harry Hines. Go a little bit further east or north and you're in a pretty bad neighborhood. A little further south and you're in a very expensive downtown area.

Just got confirmation that UNT Dallas will not accept anyone under AFS with previous Bachelor's degree.

Also got confirmation from El Cento College (one of the DCCCD schools) that they will not admit under AFS unless you've previously attended one of the DCCCD schools. Problem there is you'd likely have to wait for a year after attending one to reapply, since the DCCCD admissions is all linked.

Is there a specific area you're looking at? Dallas is full of nice spots that are surrounded by ghetto.

Near UT Southwestern is a pretty good area. Mockingbird, Inwood, lower Harry Hines. Go a little bit further east or north and you're in a pretty bad neighborhood. A little further south and you're in a very expensive downtown area.

We ended up booking a hotel in the area that Reunion Blvd is on. Seemed to be highly rated for safety on Area Vibes when I put in the zip code, but what do I know haha!

Any idea if that's a decent area. It's the Hyatt on Reunion Blvd.

Just got confirmation that UNT Dallas will not accept anyone under AFS with previous Bachelor's degree.

Also got confirmation from El Cento College (one of the DCCCD schools) that they will not admit under AFS unless you've previously attended one of the DCCCD schools. Problem there is you'd likely have to wait for a year after attending one to reapply, since the DCCCD admissions is all linked.

So odd that two schools under the same umbrella would do things totally different!

Hey guys, I have a question about the AFS program, as this is the first I'm hearing of it.

After high school I took a few CC classes and didn't bother to show up to any of them except for one. Being the idiot I was, I never dropped them either. So now I have a 1.33 GPA (Yeah, I know...) None of them were science classes.

8-9 years down the road and here I am, I want to be a doctor.

I enrolled at TCC to fix my grades and soon found out that med schools look at every class you've taken. Regardless if it's a drop or repeat.

Since I'm right at the edge of the 10 year mark, should I wait it out and declare AFS? Or would that even make a difference on med school admissions?

I've gotten very discouraged about my chances of getting into med school. Even if I work my ass off and get As through the rest of undergrad I'm worried that all those 0s are going to kill my chances.

Thanks for any info you guys can provide.

1) Are you a TX resident?
2) Google Texas Academic Fresh Start. You'll find everything at the College for All Texans website.
3) you don't need to wait. Keep doing well in school and when you hit the ten yr mark from the last crappy grade, apply to a public TX college and declare Fresh start. Just make sure you find a school that will agree to it first. See the rest of this thread for more info.

So odd that two schools under the same umbrella would do things totally different!

Absolutely odd. I had no intention of telling them that two of their sister colleges did allow for it, as I'm sure they'd just try to talk to them. Who knows where that would lead.

I'm done contacting schools. We've established that two in Dallas and three in Houston do AFS with no issue. I think we're good!

Absolutely odd. I had no intention of telling them that two of their sister colleges did allow for it, as I'm sure they'd just try to talk to them. Who knows where that would lead.

I'm done contacting schools. We've established that two in Dallas and three in Houston do AFS with no issue. I think we're good!

Agreed!

We ended up booking a hotel in the area that Reunion Blvd is on. Seemed to be highly rated for safety on Area Vibes when I put in the zip code, but what do I know haha!

Any idea if that's a decent area. It's the Hyatt on Reunion Blvd.

Yeah that's a pretty safe area and a nice hotel.

1) Are you a TX resident?
2) Google Texas Academic Fresh Start. You'll find everything at the College for All Texans website.
3) you don't need to wait. Keep doing well in school and when you hit the ten yr mark from the last crappy grade, apply to a public TX college and declare Fresh start. Just make sure you find a school that will agree to it first. See the rest of this thread for more info.

Thank you, point 3 was unclear to me. I'm a little more optimistic about my goals now!

A friend who lives in Dallas recommended the Galleria. My wife also chose that area. I would've probably rooted for downtown/uptown. I think I lose, haha. She probably thinks we're going to be shopping. We're not going to be shopping. Hahaha!!!

Hey guys. I have not been watching the thread well, but I'm an incoming med student that used fresh start. Let me know if you have any questions.

Hey guys. I have not been watching the thread well, but I'm an incoming med student that used fresh start. Let me know if you have any questions.

During your interviews, did it ever come up that you used AFS? I don't know whether I should anticipate formulating a reasonable response if I get interviews and it comes up during the course of the interview.

Did you apply only TX schools or AMCAS also? If AMCAS, and you got interviews, did it ever come up also?

Thanks. A successful AFS applicant is very heartening.

During your interviews, did it ever come up that you used AFS? I don't know whether I should anticipate formulating a reasonable response if I get interviews and it comes up during the course of the interview.

Did you apply only TX schools or AMCAS also? If AMCAS, and you got interviews, did it ever come up also?

Thanks. A successful AFS applicant is very heartening.
• For tmdsas, they can't see your old grades when you apply. They know you used it, but no one cared for me. I had great grades after I used it so that probably helped. Don't worry about having an answer to it. They probably won't ask. If they do, just be honest "I had bad grades and I screwed up. I used the program and now my grades are awesome".

• tmdsas only. I think as a Texas resident the reasons to leave the state are few. Tuition is great here and all 10 of the Texas schools are awesome.

• For tmdsas, they can't see your old grades when you apply. They know you used it, but no one cared for me. I had great grades after I used it so that probably helped. Don't worry about having an answer to it. They probably won't ask. If they do, just be honest "I had bad grades and I screwed up. I used the program and now my grades are awesome".

• tmdsas only. I think as a Texas resident the reasons to leave the state are few. Tuition is great here and all 10 of the Texas schools are awesome.

How was the process of having TMDSAS upload everything with the Fresh Start enactment? Did it take longer for them to verify them or was it the same timeline as a typical applicant? Did they (TMDSAS) give you any heart ache about it?

How was the process of having TMDSAS upload everything with the Fresh Start enactment? Did it take longer for them to verify them or was it the same timeline as a typical applicant? Did they (TMDSAS) give you any heart ache about it?

The process is easy and you don't have to do anything special. There is a check box on the application that when checked makes you put in the date you setup fresh start. Should line up with the date from your school.

As for verification, once your transcripts are in they do all the magic for you when it comes to your gpa.

I just received an email reply from the Director of Admissions at UNT Dallas. This is what he had to say in response to my question about a student declaring AFS at one school and then transferring to earn a degree or take classes at UNT Dallas:

"At this point, the best option for you to attend UNT Dallas would be as a graduate student instead of an undergraduate. The reason being is that we would still see you as a second bachelor’s student since you would still have a previous degree completed. Essentially we would run into the same issue because you would still need to meet the admissions requirements for the Second Bachelor’s degree even if you tried to transfer to us while working on your second degree. I would recommend trying to finish your second degree first and then considering UNT Dallas as an option for graduate school. Hope this helps. Thank you."

Hmmm.

So, how does one earn a second degree and/or complete the courses required by TMDSAS if a 4-year school won't accept you as an undergraduate student? At the very least, you've got to take Biochem, Genetics and any other upper-division sciences at a 4-year.

Can only speak for Houston, but assuming you are a non-tradition, you can do all the non-science courses at HCC. Then apply to a 4 year university in Houston as a post-bacc applicant where you don't need to get a second degree, just take enough upper division science courses to fulfill the 90.

So I should ask UNT Dallas about enrolling as a Post-Bacc student I suppose. If they don't allow that, they just aren't the school for me.

Yup. That is how I did it. Needed biochemistry, So I had to reapply to my Alma mater to take that course only as post-bacc, non-degree seeking student.

So I should ask UNT Dallas about enrolling as a Post-Bacc student I suppose. If they don't allow that, they just aren't the school for me.

Just be careful with the post bacc thing. You'll get the last possible registration dates and be treated like a second class citizen. That's why I decided to "major" in Nutrition. I have no desire to complete it, but they require all the prereq science courses. When I'm done with my pre-reqs and the 90 credits, I'm out. We already have degrees, no use getting another if we don't intend to use it.

Just be careful with the post bacc thing. You'll get the last possible registration dates and be treated like a second class citizen. That's why I decided to "major" in Nutrition. I have no desire to complete it, but they require all the prereq science courses. When I'm done with my pre-reqs and the 90 credits, I'm out. We already have degrees, no use getting another if we don't intend to use it.

Which school did you get into as a second bachelor's candidate? UNT Dallas apparently isn't having it. That was my plan, to major in something and complete what's needed, but UNT Dallas is shooting that idea down. They may force my to do it all in Houston, regardless of which location we prefer after our upcoming visit.

Yup. That is how I did it. Needed biochemistry, So I had to reapply to my Alma mater to take that course only as post-bacc, non-degree seeking student.

How difficult was it getting enrolled as a Post-Bacc student?

If 4-year schools keep this up, they'll force me to take everything at the CC level except for Biochem and Genetics.

Oh no, I meant how hard was t to get registered for the courses you needed, given that post-bacc students register late?

Once you are accepted as a student, post-bacc or traditional, there should not be any preferential treatment for undergrads over post-bacc since you are paying tuition same as trad. students. As you may know, registering for classes are first come first serve. Popular classes fill up quickly.

The biochem course I needed filled up so quickly from online registration, that I had to talk to the professor who was kind enough to persuade the dept chair to sign off on letting me take the course.