Texas A&M Non Thesis Masters in Biomedical Sciences 2017- 2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.Princess

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Reactions: 1 user
Anyone have information on this program that has gone through it? I think I'm too close for the March 1 deadline, so it looks like Fall 2017 potentially.

Do you know if they have MCAT preparation built in their curriculum?
From what I read and heard it doesn't seem like they do.
Its on your own time and you decide how you want to study for it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you know when decisions will be made?
I also applied for summer 2017 so I would think they would tell us within the next 2 weeksish since summer registrations has already started and classes start MAy 30th

I received my offer letter today!

They didn't really give much guidance on what courses to take. Not really sure what to take for the summer.
Based on what I have seen on snd most people just take stats and anatomy during the summer.
I won't starting in the summer I was put on hold for Fall

Last edited:
Has anyone figured out anything about housing yet? I am still yet to visit the school but just wanted to get some ideas for any good apartment to stay. Preferable a place without partying undergrads lol.

Do you know what classes you will be taking in the summer and fall? From what I gathered the MCAT/DAT prep is on you, but you can register for "Directed Studies" (up to 3 credits) which gives you time to study. You pretty much get an A as long as your score improves. I also feel as long as you choose courses that are related to your graduate field of study you will be fine and this program will really help bolster your application!
No I don't know anything yet in terms of the classes that I will be taking. I just accepted their offer to start in the summer like 3 days ago. So i only just scheduled to meet with an advisor on Monday. Hopefully, she will help me to choose the right classes to prepare for medical school.

Any comments on this program so far? how have you enjoyed it and the structure? Also how are the classes and basically everything about it? anyone have an acceptances or positive stories?

Members don't see this ad :)
Any comments on this program so far? how have you enjoyed it and the structure? Also how are the classes and basically everything about it? anyone have an acceptances or positive stories?

Hey!
I really like the program. Its very flexible and the classes are based on what you want. They have lists of classes that are good for what ever professional school you are wanting to attend. the classes are tough but not impossible. Professors are always willing to help.
I know people who start before me who have been accepted places and met some who started med school aug 2017 and are doing well.

Let me know if u have anymore questions.

Hey!
I really like the program. Its very flexible and the classes are based on what you want. They have lists of classes that are good for what ever professional school you are wanting to attend. the classes are tough but not impossible. Professors are always willing to help.
I know people who start before me who have been accepted places and met some who started med school aug 2017 and are doing well.

Let me know if u have anymore questions.
hey I was just admitted into this program for the summer but i may try and start in the fall instead. Could i see the list of classes recommended for medical school or do you know where i can find the list online.

hey I was just admitted into this program for the summer but i may try and start in the fall instead. Could i see the list of classes recommended for medical school or do you know where i can find the list online.

They actually gave it to us in person.

Here is a combination of the list and the courses taken by other premed students

VIBS 604 (3 hrs) Biomedical Neuro and Endocrine Disorders
VIBS 650 (1 hr) Intro to Grad Educ in the Vet Med
VIBS 602 (4 hrs) Histology
BICH 410 (3 hrs) Comprehen Biochem I
VIBS 622 (4 hours ) Endocrine toxicology
BIO 612 (3 hrs) Fundamental Mol Cell Biology
HLTH 634 (3 hours ) Women's Health
STAT 651 (3 hrs) Statistics in Research I
HLTH 635 (3 hours ) Race, Ethnicity and Health
VIBS 601 (4 hours) Anatomy
VTPP 423 (4 hours) Biomedical Physiology I
VTPP 625 (3 hrs) Pharmacology
HLTH 611 (3 hrs) Organization and Administration of Health
VIBS 633 (3 hrs) Animal diseases in comp medicine
VTMI 649 (3 hrs) Immunology
VTPP 657 (4 hrs) Cardiovascular Phys
VTPB 410 (3 hrs) Cell Mechanism of Disease
VIBS 612 (3 hrs) Mammalian Embryology

Hi there! I applied for the fall session, but haven't heard back yet. The deadline was June 1st though so maybe it takes a little while to go through everything?? How long did you guys have to wait to hear back?

Hi there! I applied for the fall session, but haven't heard back yet. The deadline was June 1st though so maybe it takes a little while to go through everything?? How long did you guys have to wait to hear back?

Have you heard back yet? I applied for Fall 2018 as well

I applied for the summer term and It took me 6 weeks to hear back. But keep in mind Spring break and Easter holidays passed during that time.

For anyone looking at places to live:

Welcome! - AggieSearch

students can post leases they are tying to give up which is often cheaper than the current prices on the websites

places some grad students live that are close to the Vet/biomedical buildings:
2818 Place
Parkwest
University trails

Hey y'all. I'm a recent graduate from this program. It is honestly a great program and it got me into medical school. I remember when I was applying and there wasn't much information about this program on SDN. So if y'all have any questions about it, don't hesitate to ask me!

Hey y'all. I'm a recent graduate from this program. It is honestly a great program and it got me into medical school. I remember when I was applying and there wasn't much information about this program on SDN. So if y'all have any questions about it, don't hesitate to ask me!

Thanks for reaching out saq, was hoping you could answer a few of my questions:

- would you mind sharing what were your stats applying to the masters and during the cycle you got admitted (congrats btw!!)

- How many people were in your class? I realize you probably won't have hard numbers to present, but any information about how many people got into medical school would be nice to know

- Is there any linkage, association, or communication with TAMUs medical school?

- How were the professors / staff in terms of helping students not necessarily how good of teachers are they

- Any cons or things you would like to see changed about the program

Thanks in advance, and congrats again on getting into medical school.

Thanks for reaching out saq, was hoping you could answer a few of my questions:

- would you mind sharing what were your stats applying to the masters and during the cycle you got admitted (congrats btw!!)

- How many people were in your class? I realize you probably won't have hard numbers to present, but any information about how many people got into medical school would be nice to know

- Is there any linkage, association, or communication with TAMUs medical school?

- How were the professors / staff in terms of helping students not necessarily how good of teachers are they

- Any cons or things you would like to see changed about the program

Thanks in advance, and congrats again on getting into medical school.

No problem! Overall, this was a great program that was affordable compared to some of the other post-bac programs. I really liked the flexibility of what classes I could take as well as the number of classes to take per semester. This allowed me to do other things that were lacking on my resume such as volunteering, research, working, etc.

1. I applied with 3.4 cGPA and 500 MCAT. They also take GRE/DAT if I recall correctly.

2. I started in the fall semester so there were roughly about 70-80 people in my class. I think the spring semester had about 10 people come in. I remember 50% percent of the class being pre-vet and the other 50% percent being split between pre-med, pre-dent or pre-PA. I don't have hard numbers but I remember a good chunk of the pre-meds ended up having interviews. I'm not sure how many got accepted. However, the masters did boost my chances of getting interviews let alone getting accepted.

3. I don't believe there is a direct linkage with the TAMU med school but I remember the dean of TAMU med school stating that they had people matriculate in their med school after doing the masters program.

4. The professors/staff are honestly so great at helping the students. A part of the requirements of the program is creating a committee of 3 professors that will help during your time at TAMU. My professors were great in the sense that they provided me with research opportunities and LORs. They also guided me in recommending the classes that would be most beneficial for me for my career path.

5. The only thing I would change is that I wish that they offered classes year round. I remember some of the classes that I wanted to take were only offered a certain semester.

How long does this program take?

Their website says students usually finish in 4 semesters, is that including the summer?

Thanks!

How long does this program take?

Their website says students usually finish in 4 semesters, is that including the summer?

Thanks!

It depends on you honestly. I finished in a year and a half including summer but others have finished in a year including summer. The advisors don’t recommend you taking more than 9 hrs a semester.