Texas A&M 2021 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brownswissfanatic

University of Illinois C/O 2025
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Howdy everyone! I think it was about time we started a Texas A&M page, especially since TMDSAS is very different than VMCAS! Who else is applying?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I'm IS, first time applicant! TMDSAS is kind of a sore in my backside, but I'm actually finding the different sections helpful in filling out VMCAS.

I'm IS, third time applying. Took a year off from applying last year to work on a Master's from their advice at my last file review. I went to A&M in undergrad and now for my Masters. If anyone has any questions about the school or the program, feel free to PM me!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck to all the Aggie Vet hopefuls! I'll be starting third year this fall (crap, time flies!), and I'd be happy to answer any and all questions that I can!

Reactions: 2 users
Question:

Last cycle I submitted a letter of recommendation from a veterinarian, my pre-vet advisor, and a former employer. Since I'm trying to change up the letters some this time (since I heard that it is not good to use the same letters every year you apply), I was planning on not asking the pre-vet advisor for TAMU. I know that a vet letter is required. I also know that some schools require a letter from a vet, a letter from an advisor, and a letter from a science teacher. Last time I checked TAMU's website it didn't list any required letters, besides the vet letter, but I wanted to make sure. What people are letters required from and would it be ok to reask some of the same people?

Question:

Last cycle I submitted a letter of recommendation from a veterinarian, my pre-vet advisor, and a former employer. Since I'm trying to change up the letters some this time (since I heard that it is not good to use the same letters every year you apply), I was planning on not asking the pre-vet advisor for TAMU. I know that a vet letter is required. I also know that some schools require a letter from a vet, a letter from an advisor, and a letter from a science teacher. Last time I checked TAMU's website it didn't list any required letters, besides the vet letter, but I wanted to make sure. What people are letters required from and would it be ok to reask some of the same people?

When I applied I had a letter from a vet, one from my lab PI, and one from a non-science professor. I don't think A&M is super picky about where they come from besides the vet.

Reactions: 1 user
Question:

Personally, I had all vets write mine, but I had known them for a long time before I applied (I'm an incoming 2VM now), so they were who I felt could best assess my strengths and weaknesses. It really depends on who you are, but think about the people in the profession who know you best and who you're on the same page on as far as what kind of recommendation they would write you. As far as from the same people, I think it all depends. If you've worked with them in the past year, had a good relationship with them, and you have new experiences to draw on under their supervision, asking them could be fine (I honestly have no idea), but if in your file review they said that your letters were weak, then it may be time to reconsider. That being said, I think constructive criticism is a huge blessing so if your letters were weak, it could be a good way to self evaluate what you think you should improve on. Honestly, I would like to know even now, what my letters said, just so I can build up my weaker areas.

As far as acceptable people to acquire letters from, either check online or call the admissions office and ask them. The admissions office was really good about answering my questions whenever I was applying, so if answers aren't online, they can be a good resource, but check online first to save them time.

First time applying, finally starting my application. Well, right now I'm reading the 43 page PDF on how to complete the application. ;)

I saw this thread and it reminded me of a question I had earlier. Did anyone else go to the Texas A&M veterinary enrichment camp for high schoolers? I'm not applying here, but I was just curious if it actually helped anyone.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I saw this thread and it reminded me of a question I had earlier. Did anyone else go to the Texas A&M veterinary enrichment camp for high schoolers? I'm not applying here, but I was just curious if it actually helped anyone.

I did and loved it. That being said, I don't remember besides maybe the essays, having anywhere on the vet school application to really put it on there if that's what you're asking. What it is really helpful for is telling you if this is something you want to do, and giving a headsup early on. They also gave lots of helpful advice for applying to undergrad and eventually vet school (although a lot can change in the years between vet camp and vet school). I am pretty confident that the deadline has already passed for this year, but there is an application and you do need letters of recommendation for the camp so it's not too early to plan for 2017.

I did and loved it. That being said, I don't remember besides maybe the essays, having anywhere on the vet school application to really put it on there if that's what you're asking. What it is really helpful for is telling you if this is something you want to do, and giving a headsup early on. They also gave lots of helpful advice for applying to undergrad and eventually vet school (although a lot can change in the years between vet camp and vet school). I am pretty confident that the deadline has already passed for this year, but there is an application and you do need letters of recommendation for the camp so it's not too early to plan for 2017.

Oh no- I'm not looking to join it. I did it in 2012, I was just interested if anyone who did it actually went on to vet school!

Oh no- I'm not looking to join it. I did it in 2012, I was just interested if anyone who did it actually went on to vet school!

There's at least three of us in my class who were campers at some point, and I know of at least one other girl I went to camp with is at another vet school, but I lost touch with most of the people I went to camp with since it was now almost 7 years ago. I know several of the people I went to camp with that I did keep in touch with decided they wanted to pursue other professions instead. I think since the camp is in high school and for me there was about 5 years in between camp and applying for vet school, that leaves a lot of room to pursue other careers, so it's hard to know what the percentage of people are who did vet camp, applied to vet school and got in, but to answer your question, yes there are some of us here! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi All! I am in a more unique situation and I was wondering if anyone is, was, or knows someone who has been in a similar scenario before when applying. I'm a first time applicant and my family is relocating to Texas in 2 weeks. I was born in Texas and lived there for 13 years before my family moved. According to TMDAS I don't qualify as In-state until January (when my father became a resident), but I spoke to Admissions and they said I likely will be because they consider in-state as being there for a full year by enrollment date. They told me about there being some sort of residency notification system and frankly it is all a bit confusing. If anyone has any insight it would be very much appreciated!

Question: so has any 2 or more time applicants that werent able to go to the review session in person received an email yet with their file review? I thought they said it would only be a couple days after the in person session when emails would be sent. But I haven't received anything yet...

Question: so has any 2 or more time applicants that werent able to go to the review session in person received an email yet with their file review? I thought they said it would only be a couple days after the in person session when emails would be sent. But I haven't received anything yet...

I would email them and ask. I didn't apply last year, but I don't like the way they are doing the file reviews this year. It used to be one on one with Yolanda and they would give you a break down of your points compared to the averages. They also would tell you how many points you were away from an interview. Apparently they didn't do that this year? If you happen to get the email, would you mind sharing the average statistics for last year's cycle?

I would email them and ask. I didn't apply last year, but I don't like the way they are doing the file reviews this year. It used to be one on one with Yolanda and they would give you a break down of your points compared to the averages. They also would tell you how many points you were away from an interview. Apparently they didn't do that this year? If you happen to get the email, would you mind sharing the average statistics for last year's cycle?

Alright yea ill do that!

So I emailed Admissions and they told me that I should receive the file review next week. Not sure if that means everyone will receive theirs next week too, but I'm assuming y'all will too.

Ugh:arghh:...kinda annoyed that TMDSAS saved pretty much nothing I entered last cycle! This is how I feel re-entering all of this useless information :bang:. I mean seriously, for example, why does TMDSAS need to know what county both us and our parents were born in? VMCAS doesn't even ask that.

Fourth timer here, second with TMDSAS. Which quite honestly I'm not a big fan of TMDSAS either lol.

I also am not impressed with their file review system, I had several friends go to the file review this year and they said in comparison to previous years they did not get a lot of useful feedback.

Good luck everyone!! :D

Completely forgot that TMDSAS will not send out the evaluation request until you have submitted all 3 of them in the system. :mad: I have one more person to ask that I plan on asking tomorrow (wanted to ask in person and haven't had time until now). But one of my research directors wanted to go ahead and fill hers out last week and couldn't because of this.

Completely forgot that TMDSAS will not send out the evaluation request until you have submitted all 3 of them in the system. :mad: I have one more person to ask that I plan on asking tomorrow (wanted to ask in person and haven't had time until now). But one of my research directors wanted to go ahead and fill hers out last week and couldn't because of this.

Ugh! I forgot about that too! That is definitely one of the things I hate about TMDSAS!

I was just looking at the supplemental application again, and I realized that the supplemental application fee went up! I'm pretty sure I remember paying $60 last year. This year it is $75! :eek:

Also a question about the supplemental application. In the area where it tells you to list the hours per animal species, I have a unique experience that I don't know where to put it. This experience kinda needs a category of its own. I've been interning with a non-profit relief agency called ADRA (Adventist Development Relief Agency) in Madagascar for the past 10 months. I(while in collaboration with local vets and regional directors of livestock) have been able to talk with farmers about their chickens, fish, bees, pigs, and cattle in hopes to improve the animal welfare for the animals and the way of life/income for the villagers. The pigs and cattle already have their respective categories so that isn't the problem. The issue arises with the other species. I'm assuming chickens should fall under the category of exotic/pet birds. However, where should I put fish and bees?

I'm pretty stuck on the Extracurricular/Leisure section of TMDSAS. What even counts as significant enough to slap on my application? I've included guitar and camping/hiking, but that's about it. I play a LOT of video games but I doubt the admissions committee would look highly upon that if I put it on my application. What have some of you guys put?

I'm pretty stuck on the Extracurricular/Leisure section of TMDSAS. What even counts as significant enough to slap on my application? I've included guitar and camping/hiking, but that's about it. I play a LOT of video games but I doubt the admissions committee would look highly upon that if I put it on my application. What have some of you guys put?

A few of the things I put was reading, tennis, archery, and playing my musical instrument. I'm not really sure how much they actually look at that section to be honest. I think they just want to see that you have a life outside of school and/or work. Something to do that is a good stress reliever, etc.

Ok, I fell a little behind and hadn't worked on this in awhile. Did y'all put your vet jobs in employment experience or veterinary supervised experience? I feel like it should go in employment because it is my job and all.

Ok, I fell a little behind and hadn't worked on this in awhile. Did y'all put your vet jobs in employment experience or veterinary supervised experience? I feel like it should go in employment because it is my job and all.

I've pretty much been following the same rules from VMCAS with TMDSAS. If it could fit in more than one category, I list it in more than one category.

I would put it in veterinary experience hours. I'm in the same predicament as I have had and currently have a job as a vet tech. TMDSAS has changed this year and only lets you put things in one category unfortunately.

I've pretty much been following the same rules from VMCAS with TMDSAS. If it could fit in more than one category, I list it in more than one category.

TMDSAS has changed this year and does NOT want applicants putting things in more than one category. I went to a applicant workshop and they were pretty adamant about that new rule. It kinda sucks because they used to let you and now some of my sections look bare compared to others. Although I understand it from their perspective. It does make the application look more clean as a whole.

Any Aggies who attended TAMU for undergrad? I'm going to go get my masters in biomedical sciences through TAMU (non-thesis option), and I was wondering if a couple classes would count towards TAMU CVM vet school prerequisites.

Anyone take VIBS 310 Biomedical Writing? Do you know if this class counts toward the Technical writing requirement? Anyone have a copy of the syllabus I could send to them to get approval? I tried emailing the teacher of the class, but I haven't got a response to the email I sent.

Also, what about VTPB 405 Biomedical microbiology? Does this class normally count towards the general microbiology requirement?

TMDSAS has changed this year and does NOT want applicants putting things in more than one category. I went to a applicant workshop and they were pretty adamant about that new rule. It kinda sucks because they used to let you and now some of my sections look bare compared to others. Although I understand it from their perspective. It does make the application look more clean as a whole.

UGH! :arghh: That's going to be very annoying to delete and re-add everything in only one area. How did they expect those of us who weren't able to go to the workshop or new applicants to know to do that?

Any Aggies who attended TAMU for undergrad? I'm going to go get my masters in biomedical sciences through TAMU (non-thesis option), and I was wondering if a couple classes would count towards TAMU CVM vet school prerequisites.

Anyone take VIBS 310 Biomedical Writing? Do you know if this class counts toward the Technical writing requirement? Anyone have a copy of the syllabus I could send to them to get approval? I tried emailing the teacher of the class, but I haven't got a response to the email I sent.

Also, what about VTPB 405 Biomedical microbiology? Does this class normally count towards the general microbiology requirement?

I graduated from here with a Biomedical Science degree in undergrad am about to graduate in December doing the nonthesis Biomedical Science Masters degree. BIMS 405 will count towards microbiology requirement. I'm not sure about 310. I took it in undergrad I think and it didn't. I had to take a technical writing class through the English department. But they may have changed the 310 class since I took it 5 years ago. If you have any questions about the program, feel free to message me!

Does anyone know what constitutes "less than satisfactory grades" on the supplemental application? I had one semester that wasn't really bad in terms of my grades but was obviously different from my normal standard-- debating whether or not to explain on the supplemental application.

Does anyone know what constitutes "less than satisfactory grades" on the supplemental application? I had one semester that wasn't really bad in terms of my grades but was obviously different from my normal standard-- debating whether or not to explain on the supplemental application.

Ultimately it's up to you. I think it may mean a semester where you got multiple C's or a D. I'm using it to write about one semester senior year that I got a D due to working full time, but since then retook the class and got a better grade. My advice is if you got one C one semester, I wouldn't worry about writing about it. Why draw attention to it if you don't need to?

Hey y'all! Getting down to the last month before submission! Quick poll: the supplemental app's first question about listing & describing additional experiences, are you taking that to be a full essay question or a more brief compilation of items?

Since it uses the word "list" I'm taking it as a brief compilation.

What about the "Animal Experience" tab on the supplemental? It says to describe our experiences with a given species... not sure if that means to list things out like a resume form of everything you have done or to make it a narrative. Although I'm not sure how I'd make it sound good in narrative form.

Mine became very brief lists for each animal:

Horse: Equestrian Team, Riding Lessons, Horse Ownership, Equine Vet Tech, Equitherapy Facility Volunteer

Etc.

Just finished submitting TMDSAS. Just waiting on my last evaluator to submit hers and I will be officially done with applications (VMCAS was submitted weeks ago). Now the waiting begins!

Has anyone heard anything from A&M yet? I know some schools are doing their first round of cuts around this time so I was curious.

Has anyone heard anything from A&M yet? I know some schools are doing their first round of cuts around this time so I was curious.

A&M sends out their invites in one mass email on one day usually around the third week of December. You should receive something in the mail from them soon stating if you have any prerequisites that still need to be completed or not.

TAMU is my alma mater and first pick, however I majored in Biology :/

From what I heard, the classes are nearly identical to many CVM classes and really prepare you for the veterinary program if you do complete a bims masters at tamu. A few of my friends are currently in it!

Howdy, future Aggie Vet hopefuls! I'm currently butt-deep in third year and would be happy to answer any and all questions that I can! I'm not sure how much I can help with the application process since it's been several years since I applied. But if you have questions about the program, the people, the hospitals, the town, etc., I'm your gal! I've thoroughly enjoyed (yes, enjoyed) my time here at Texas A&M!

Howdy, future Aggie Vet hopefuls! I'm currently butt-deep in third year and would be happy to answer any and all questions that I can! I'm not sure how much I can help with the application process since it's been several years since I applied. But if you have questions about the program, the people, the hospitals, the town, etc., I'm your gal! I've thoroughly enjoyed (yes, enjoyed) my time here at Texas A&M!

Thanks for taking the time to answer our questions! In your opinion, what are the best and worst things about A&M CVM? I have a friend who is also a third year who told me the new building has a ton of problems - like the anatomy lab not being properly set up, lack of study areas that are overrun by undergrads, no outlets to charge your computer in the new classrooms, and a teeny tiny cafeteria. However when I toured the new building a few months ago I was blown away by how gorgeous it was! A&M will always be my dream school. The things I mentioned wouldn't have an impact on my admissions decision if offered a seat, but I am curious as to what to expect.

Last edited:
There have definitely been some growing pains and some things bother some people more than others. I don't study at school, so the undergrads don't bother me. Vet students have priority for study spaces, so that's something to keep in mind. The cafeteria eating space isn't really all that much smaller than the CCC. I can't speak to the lab spaces other than Surgery since that's really the only one we use this year and I've been really happy with the layout, though it's kinda weird to have it on the third floor. As for outlets, that is pretty crappy since we asked specifically for that when they were designed the new school. Again, it doesn't affect me much because I make sure to have my stuff fully charged and I have a newish (2 years old) tablet that still holds a charge well. There could be changes in the way the classrooms are set up, but I don't know how quickly those changes will occur.

All in all, I like the new buildings. They really are beautiful and there's improvements every day. I don't think my learning/education has been hindered at all. Also, it will likely be a completely different experience for your class since it should be totally complete by the time y'all start. Hope that helps!

IS applicant up in here! A&M is definitely one of my top picks, but I'm not a huge fan of College Station (I love Austin's diversity). Any advice on acclimating to such a tiny town? Also, I've heard some disturbing things about racism there, so is there any credence to that...?

IS applicant up in here! A&M is definitely one of my top picks, but I'm not a huge fan of College Station (I love Austin's diversity). Any advice on acclimating to such a tiny town? Also, I've heard some disturbing things about racism there, so is there any credence to that...?

I used to work at a veterinary clinic with a coworker who was half Filipino and half Black, and was dating a black guy when she was an undergraduate at A&M. When she went out to bars with him on the weekends, they would make her boyfriend enter through the back door because he was black. I've also heard from her that racial tensions are pretty high there. I'm IS as well, but I've never heard great things about A&M in terms of social atmosphere.

I'm not the best person to speak on racism, since I'm white and we are the majority, both in the vet school and in the university as a whole. I could ask some of my friends (non-Caucasian) about their thoughts on the subject. As for acclimating...you won't have much of a social life, haha. Most of my social outings are involved with the school/vet students. I have little awareness of what happens on main campus since we're kind of in our own bubble. We have a lot of the basics like a mall, theaters, parks, loads of restaurants, a variety of grocery stores, and new trendy businesses are going up all the time--micro breweries, coffee shops, pubs, specialty food shops, etc. Luckily we're not too far from Dallas, Houston, or Austin if you need an escape or want something more exciting to do on a weekend. But it's only 4 years...and a very fast-moving 4 years, at that.

I don't have experience actually attending the vet school like epivetlove does, but my boyfriend attends A&M so I've been visiting c-stat nearly every other weekend for the past year. As someone who is also accustomed to living in a big diverse city, it does take a while to get used to but not in a negative way. College Station doesn't really have that "small town feel". It feels more like you're in a suburb of a fairly large city - you literally have EVERYTHING a suburb 30 minutes outside of Houston or Dallas would have. However at the same time, it has its cute quirks such as the local restaurant culture and northgate. While it does have a very different feel from Austin, it might grow on you like it did me :)

Thank you for the advice everyone! I'm sad but not surprised about the possible racism your friend's boyfriend experienced, @Great Butts. I'm a minority student and it's one of the things I'm most worried about at A&M.

I'm glad to hear that the city itself has a variety of things to do. Like you said @epivetlove it's only four years anyway and I'll be very busy during that time anyway. A&M is an amazing enough school to overlook the city's flaws! Perhaps it may even grow on me like it did for you @RedLauren!