CARS Testing Solutions' 30 Day Guide to MCAT CARS Success

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Have you used Testing Solutions passages? What did you think?

• Yes! Very accurate, really like them a lot!

• Nope. I'm here for the free guide and that's it!

• Yes, but they stink. (Oh no....please email us at [email protected] for a refund!)

Results are only viewable after voting.
@mikeman1994 - Great questions (and not uncommon ones at all, so know you're not alone!).

1) It sounds like it just takes you a few minutes to get comfortable and in a place where your mind is on track for CARS. I'd try two approaches

A) Sometimes when people start a CARS test, the rush of it all starting blasts them for the first minute and then they realize they haven't really retained much and they either go back and reread or push through. I wonder if this is happening at all for you? Maybe start each CARS test by counting to 15 silently in your head to calm yourself down. I actually did this because I found starting a new section to be stressful. Once I got into the "zone" of taking the test, I wasn't that bothered by it all but starting was always tough.

B) If this really is a thing for you, give yourself a little extra time at the end and return to the first passage at the end of the exam. It's likely you'll see the errors you made early on and might even turn your worst 1st passage into your best passage of the test. By saving an extra 4 or 5 minutes over the other 8 passages, you'll likely pick up another 2 questions correct which is a major (and easily won) improvement.​

2) As to your second question, I think the best way to improve this is when you're reviewing. I recommend that while you are taking your practice passages that you keep a piece of scratch paper nearby and mark down any question that you aren't 75% sure about. These will be the questions you review (and the ones you get wrong). After you finish the test, mark the questions you got wrong, but don't mark the correct answer or look at the reasoning. Then return to the test after letting the test set for at least an hour or two and retake the questions you missed. Since you know what the wrong answer is, you've made the question a little easier on you. If you are able to reason to the right answer, take a moment and jot down a note or two where you got off track and why you selected the wrong answer choice. We go into greater depth about how to do this on Day 29 – Putting it All Together: How to Review an Entire CARS Practice Test. Over time, you'll stop making the same mental missteps because you'll more easily recognize them because you've been analysing them when you review.

Best of luck on your MCAT!

Hi @TestingSolutions

Thanks for getting back to me.

What I have been noticing for the past 3-4 weeks while trying to work on the CARS section, even if I do not 100% grasp the passage, I keep pushing through. I feel like my motivation dropped, and I feel so worn out. Along with that my anxiety is really high and my PCP might put me on SSRIs soon if I'm still down. I scheduled my MCAT on 4/28/2017 and I feel the day is coming up very fast and I am not sure if I will be ready. I think I am having trouble focusing in the beginning of all sections, but I will try your 15 second pause in the start. This is my second time taking the MCAT and I know I have to improve my score.

I bought your practice passages, and I just completed T1 and I ended up with 19/53 correct which is less than I usually get. I tried the Princeton Review CARS and the Exam Krackers CARS 2nd edition and I'm usually around 27-30 correct. Those are still not very good and I still have to improve my score.

I will be taking T2 in a couple days and I will see what happens.

Thanks again

Members don't see this ad.

Hi @TestingSolutions

What I have been noticing for the past 3-4 weeks while trying to work on the CARS section, even if I do not 100% grasp the passage, I keep pushing through. I feel like my motivation dropped, and I feel so worn out. Along with that my anxiety is really high and my PCP might put me on SSRIs soon if I'm still down. I scheduled my MCAT on 4/28/2017 and I feel the day is coming up very fast and I am not sure if I will be ready. I think I am having trouble focusing in the beginning of all sections, but I will try your 15 second pause in the start. This is my second time taking the MCAT and I know I have to improve my score.

I bought your practice passages, and I just completed T1 and I ended up with 19/53 correct which is less than I usually get. I tried the Princeton Review CARS and the Exam Krackers CARS 2nd edition and I'm usually around 27-30 correct. Those are still not very good and I still have to improve my score.

Thanks again

Hi @TestingSolutions

So I completed Test 2 and got 22/53 correct which improved by 3 points from T1. I'm happy from that standpoint. However, T2 was also difficult and I rushed through the last 4 questions because I spent more time on a few others earlier on. At the same time, I got the last 4 questions correct. I felt that passage was the easiest. As long as I keep seeing improvements, I am satisfied.

Thanks again

@TestingSolutions

Thank you for getting back to me. I have some updates to share.

First of all, you mentioned if my vocab level is adequate. I know that there are definitely a couple of vocabs that I do not know even though I may have seen them in previous English classes. I have been keeping track of all the words that I do not know (usually around 2-3 per passage, sometimes none, sometimes around 5, it really depends on the complexity of the passage) in the Excel spreadsheet and have studied the ones that I think are more commonly used. Usually, vocab is not an issue unless the answer choice has one word that I do not know, which has happened a few times, but not enough for me to think that there is a red flag.

I started perusing the sentences more carefully instead of flying through passages. This has helped me greatly with actually comprehending the passages. I feel more confident about what the author is trying to say, despite the passage complexity. Of course, there are some odd ball passages that I just cannot understand what the heck the author is trying to say in 10 minutes (or 12 minutes for 7 question passages). When that happens, I reset the timer and read the passage for the second time, and that definitely allows me to comprehend the passage much more in depth. I think comprehension will definitely improve as I am doing more passages, even with blunt practices.

Even though my comprehension level has gone up, there's a definite issue with timing. I have been timing myself with what is recommended in the TS book - 30 seconds to be more prepared. I almost never finish in time, and usually go over 2-3 minutes per passage. Main reason why I keep going over time is because I keep looking back at the passage to figure out what the question is referring to or comprehend something that I did not catch in the first place. Is there any tips on fixing this issue?

Also, one thing I have noticed on most passages is that even though I may have a good grasp of what the passage is about, the questions can be extremely difficult to figure out. This happens due to either not catching the relevant details/information that's in the passage itself or not being able to extrapolate outside the passage to answer the question. Another thing I noticed is that, usually the passages that are easier to read have very challenging questions that rely on subtle difference like catching the tone, figuring out the assumptions, inference questions, and so on.

I have been doing EK VR 101 passages and my score has been flattened around 50~60% now. My scores do fluctuate a lot, and I attribute this to not being able to answer the questions properly. I am trying to do at least 3 passages a day, sometimes 5-6 passages a day when I have time. I have taken 2 full lengths from Next Step, and timing on CARS was very difficult to meet. On both the first and second exams, I could not finish in time, so I guessed on two questions at the end. However, my pacing was much more consistent in the second exam compared to the first one.

Lastly, I have seen many people recommending EK's spectrum method to improve CARS score. What's your opinion on this strategy? This method does involve writing down some notes, so I am assuming you wouldn't regard this strategy highly.

I think my main issue is catching the tone and firmly grasping the main idea of the passage, so that I can apply them in solving the questions. Also, I need better a tactic at tackling the question as I am very inconsistent with answering questions, both timing wise (I can answer some questions under 20 seconds, some take longer than 2 minutes) and accuracy wise. Your recommendation as how I should approach these issues would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much.

Update 4/12/17
I did 3 passages of TPRH Verbal book as usual. And got only 2 wrongs per passage resulting in a whooping 71%. This is the first time I got above a 70%. I had very difficult times with some of these passages, so I was so shocked to see such a high score (from my perspective). One thing I definitely noticed is that the slower I read, the more my mind becomes fixated on the passage, hindering my performance on answering the questions. Also, going slower does not guarantee retention of information either. I am not saying that speedreading is the way to go, but taking a turtle stance is not going to do much help either. Also, consistency is definitely the key. There were a day or two that I skipped doing CARS entirely and my average score dipped below a 50% again because my mind somehow got out of CARS mode. Is this pretty typical?

Update 4/13/17
Another 70% for 3 passages! I am not sure how my score went up all of sudden. My passage comprehension remains about the same and there are certain passages that are bizzare and hard to comprehend. I think I may have improved in the process of elimination somehow. It's too early to tell, but I definitely do not mind this sudden score increase.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
@TestingSolutions

I recently purchased your pdf and all of the practice CARS tests. My test date is 6/17 and I'm stuck at around 124-125. Do you happen to have a plan laid out of what to do to condense the program from 90 days to 60 days? Is it possible to get a 127+ with this much time left? I appreciate all your help. Thanks!

Hey @TestingSolutions bought your TS bundle and i've been following your CARS guide for a while. TS is the only CARS resource I seem to show improvement on. Initially, i'd get 1-2 questions correct (seriously questioned my intelligence). Now I'm consistently getting all/most of them right. I'm writing my exam June 17 and didn't want to fly through all the passages, so i've also purchased EK CARS101. I find that I usually get 4-5/7 on these, and i never seem to show any improvement on them. I also have been doing the NextStep FLs and I consistently get demolished on their CARS sections as well (126-127).

Amount a month ago I scored 77% on the CARS section of the AAMC sample test (saving the scored FLs for closer to my exam)

I'm just wondering if you have any suggestions as to how I might bring myself to improve on EK?

For TS CARS I almost never go back to the passage to answer questions, which i really like because I end up finishing on time, often with extra time in the bank. But sometimes it seems necessary to go back to the passage with EK, as some of their questions can be very detail oriented. I've been trying everything, form narrating the author's voice in my head, to r/o the wrong answers.

Hey @TestingSolutions bought your TS bundle and i've been following your CARS guide for a while. TS is the only CARS resource I seem to show improvement on. Initially, i'd get 1-2 questions correct (seriously questioned my intelligence). Now I'm consistently getting all/most of them right. I'm writing my exam June 17 and didn't want to fly through all the passages, so i've also purchased EK CARS101. I find that I usually get 4-5/7 on these, and i never seem to show any improvement on them. I also have been doing the NextStep FLs and I consistently get demolished on their CARS sections as well (126-127).

Amount a month ago I scored 77% on the CARS section of the AAMC sample test (saving the scored FLs for closer to my exam)

I'm just wondering if you have any suggestions as to how I might bring myself to improve on EK?

For TS CARS I almost never go back to the passage to answer questions, which i really like because I end up finishing on time, often with extra time in the bank. But sometimes it seems necessary to go back to the passage with EK, as some of their questions can be very detail oriented. I've been trying everything, form narrating the author's voice in my head, to r/o the wrong answers.
I am certainly not TS, but I won't be the first to tell you that the new EK 101 CARS has flaws, even more than its previous 101 Verbal edition I would argue. I think 4/5 out of 7 on their passages is pretty good, considering their wildly-stretched inference questions. The logic in their inference questions seem to stretch much further than AAMC's.
I wouldn't worry too much about it. Definitely don't change what you're doing or anything. Maybe consider switching to another more established resource like TPRH Verbal?

Unfortunately I did TPRH already. But I'm finding that i do better on EK if i look back to the passage sometimes, so maybe i'll just keep with that strategy.

@TestingSolutions

Hi Testing Solutions!

I am seeing excellent results from using your CARS prep materials. I have greatly improved upon my timing. Do you have any timing strategies for the other sections of the MCAT? I am specifically struggling with timing in C/P. Thank you, in advance, for any guidance that you might be able to share. And, thank you for making the best CARS guide on the market.

Elizabeth

@michigandr - I'm sorry it's taken me so long to respond. I have not struck a good balance between being on here and passing my exams :) Thank you for your patience. Also, thank you for your kind words regarding our materials! In terms of the other sections, while I don't want to stray too far from my expertise, I think a general principle that is true for all of the MCAT is that you don't have to get all of the questions right to get an excellent score. One of the easiest ways to improve on the MCAT is to practice letting go of the really hard questions. I think many students are hyper vigilant to not miss any points and they end up wasting a lot of time on questions they're probably going to get wrong any ways, leaving them less time for the easier questions they might have gotten right if they had the time. You really shouldn't spend more than 2 to 3 minutes on any one question on your first pass through the section. Mark the hard questions and come back later. This approach provides two benefits: A) You'll spend most of your time on questions you've got the best chance to get right and B) When you come back to the harder questions later, it's possible on a second look you'll see something you didn't before and get the question right.

Best of luck on your MCAT and please keep us in the loop!

@TestingSolutions

I apologize if you felt as if I was trying to demean them. That was not my intention. I believe that bringing up specific weaknesses of a company's product is perfectly ok if it is done in a polite and respectful manner. Having said that, do you mind telling us what you specifically thought needs work on the 108 Cars book for Next Step so that anyone reading this can take those points into consideration while buying and/or using the book (or at the very least comment on my assessment of their resource)?

@LoveBeingHuman:) - Not at all! You are right on point. I think it's really good to highlight the strengthens and weaknesses of different materials. I don't think it's a bad book, but I think the passages aren't really of the MCAT flavor and that they tend towards more dense content. We do that too in our tests, but I think it's even more pronounced in theirs. I think the questions are better, but because the passages aren't quite there, it isn't a perfect mirror of the MCAT experience. Overall, it's not that the NextStep passages are bad, I think it's just that with the other resources out there that are better, it's not the place I would start.

Here are a few comments from Amazon.com users:

"I have mixed feeling about this book. Overall I think it's very worth the price BUT it definitely has some disadvantages. The most important advantage to me is that this book has complex, dense passages. I feel that they are a bit harder then the passages I ran into in the AAMC practice test. If you can learn to soak up all the information in these passages I think this book is worth well above the asking price. The answers are sometimes a little vague though as others have stated in the other reviews. Additionally, one could argue the selected answer is incorrect for many of the questions. Still, I think these passages help you develop a certain forward-looking perspective while reading that allows you to form implications. It also teaches you to keep outside information/biases from affecting your answer choice and how to use the given information appropriately WITHOUT making overreaching statements/answer choices. I have not tried any other companies CARS yet but will update this in the future when I do."

"Passages are decently challenging, but many do not necessarily resemble MCAT passages. Questions are fair in general, but some try way too hard to trick you. Some answers are farfetched while others are just flat out wrong. The book gives cheap and vague 1 line explanations to answers that often times make no sense whatsoever. When reading these explanations, you can sense the author's laziness and his eagerness to finish it, and quickly publish it for $. Their tutor phone number and website is stamped on every single page without a fail even on blank pages. In general, this book is okay for light practice, but nothing more."

"I finished the first round of passages and I am extremely disappointed by this book. There are NUMEROUS errors throughout. For example: it will ask you to look for a keyword in paragraph 2 and describe it using contextual clues. Well, that would be doable if the word were actually present in the passage. Further, the explanations are extremely poor and vague. Essentially, you cannot learn from your mistakes.

I wish Kaplan would create a practice book, such as this, because while the idea is great, Schnedeker's quality is miserable.

I don't care how brilliant this author is. If he doesn't have the decency to proofread his book or hire someone proficient enough to do it for him, he isn't worth is salt in producing further publications."

Best of luck on your MCAT!

Hi @TestingSolutions

Thanks again

@mikeman1994 - I'm really sorry I wasn't able to respond before 4/28. How did things turn out/ what did you decide to do? Best of luck!

@TestingSolutions

I recently purchased your pdf and all of the practice CARS tests. My test date is 6/17 and I'm stuck at around 124-125. Do you happen to have a plan laid out of what to do to condense the program from 90 days to 60 days? Is it possible to get a 127+ with this much time left? I appreciate all your help. Thanks!

@Twilson016 - Sorry for the slow response. Medical school isn't as easy as I was hoping :) We don't have a particular plan laid out, but I would recommend reading the first 10 days of the guide and make sure that you're consistently doing passages each day. I'd also recommend adding one or two passages on top of our normal daily recommendation to accelerate your progress. Best of luck and keep us in the loop!

@mattns - This is a tough question, but I think it ultimately comes down to the fact that the only company that perfectly mimics the CARS is the AAMC. Everyone else is just offering you their estimate of the CARS. I think we've done a pretty good job of capturing the CARS flavor and most people agree, but we're not perfect and neither is EK or any of the other companies. I wouldn't worry too much about your particular scores on EK, but instead would focus on the AAMC question packs. How are you doing on those materials? That's the real question. I think the biggest mistake a lot of people make is not getting to the AAMC materials soon enough/ not finishing a thorough review of those passages. The other companies are great practice and it's important, but stressing out about their materials is putting a lot of trust that a 35 out of 53 on an EK test equals a 35 out of 53 on the real thing, which I don't think is true. Best of luck and keep the questions coming!

Members don't see this ad :)
I am certainly not TS, but I won't be the first to tell you that the new EK 101 CARS has flaws, even more than its previous 101 Verbal edition I would argue. I think 4/5 out of 7 on their passages is pretty good, considering their wildly-stretched inference questions. The logic in their inference questions seem to stretch much further than AAMC's.
I wouldn't worry too much about it. Definitely don't change what you're doing or anything. Maybe consider switching to another more established resource like TPRH Verbal?

I've heard more or less the same. I don't want to disparage any other companies, but I think that is an accurate assessment of their new book.

@TestingSolutions

Thank you for getting back to me. I have some updates to share.

First of all, you mentioned if my vocab level is adequate. I know that there are definitely a couple of vocabs that I do not know even though I may have seen them in previous English classes. I have been keeping track of all the words that I do not know (usually around 2-3 per passage, sometimes none, sometimes around 5, it really depends on the complexity of the passage) in the Excel spreadsheet and have studied the ones that I think are more commonly used. Usually, vocab is not an issue unless the answer choice has one word that I do not know, which has happened a few times, but not enough for me to think that there is a red flag.

I started perusing the sentences more carefully instead of flying through passages. This has helped me greatly with actually comprehending the passages. I feel more confident about what the author is trying to say, despite the passage complexity. Of course, there are some odd ball passages that I just cannot understand what the heck the author is trying to say in 10 minutes (or 12 minutes for 7 question passages). When that happens, I reset the timer and read the passage for the second time, and that definitely allows me to comprehend the passage much more in depth. I think comprehension will definitely improve as I am doing more passages, even with blunt practices.

Even though my comprehension level has gone up, there's a definite issue with timing. I have been timing myself with what is recommended in the TS book - 30 seconds to be more prepared. I almost never finish in time, and usually go over 2-3 minutes per passage. Main reason why I keep going over time is because I keep looking back at the passage to figure out what the question is referring to or comprehend something that I did not catch in the first place. Is there any tips on fixing this issue?

Also, one thing I have noticed on most passages is that even though I may have a good grasp of what the passage is about, the questions can be extremely difficult to figure out. This happens due to either not catching the relevant details/information that's in the passage itself or not being able to extrapolate outside the passage to answer the question. Another thing I noticed is that, usually the passages that are easier to read have very challenging questions that rely on subtle difference like catching the tone, figuring out the assumptions, inference questions, and so on.

I have been doing EK VR 101 passages and my score has been flattened around 50~60% now. My scores do fluctuate a lot, and I attribute this to not being able to answer the questions properly. I am trying to do at least 3 passages a day, sometimes 5-6 passages a day when I have time. I have taken 2 full lengths from Next Step, and timing on CARS was very difficult to meet. On both the first and second exams, I could not finish in time, so I guessed on two questions at the end. However, my pacing was much more consistent in the second exam compared to the first one.

Lastly, I have seen many people recommending EK's spectrum method to improve CARS score. What's your opinion on this strategy? This method does involve writing down some notes, so I am assuming you wouldn't regard this strategy highly.

I think my main issue is catching the tone and firmly grasping the main idea of the passage, so that I can apply them in solving the questions. Also, I need better a tactic at tackling the question as I am very inconsistent with answering questions, both timing wise (I can answer some questions under 20 seconds, some take longer than 2 minutes) and accuracy wise. Your recommendation as how I should approach these issues would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much.

Update 4/12/17
I did 3 passages of TPRH Verbal book as usual. And got only 2 wrongs per passage resulting in a whooping 71%. This is the first time I got above a 70%. I had very difficult times with some of these passages, so I was so shocked to see such a high score (from my perspective). One thing I definitely noticed is that the slower I read, the more my mind becomes fixated on the passage, hindering my performance on answering the questions. Also, going slower does not guarantee retention of information either. I am not saying that speedreading is the way to go, but taking a turtle stance is not going to do much help either. Also, consistency is definitely the key. There were a day or two that I skipped doing CARS entirely and my average score dipped below a 50% again because my mind somehow got out of CARS mode. Is this pretty typical?

Update 4/13/17
Another 70% for 3 passages! I am not sure how my score went up all of sudden. My passage comprehension remains about the same and there are certain passages that are bizzare and hard to comprehend. I think I may have improved in the process of elimination somehow. It's too early to tell, but I definitely do not mind this sudden score increase.

My biggest tip for getting your timing under control is to force yourself to not go back to the passage and move on to the next passage when the timer is up. Taking that extra 2 or 3 minutes per passage is not helping you because you simply cannot do that on the real test. You're developing bad habits now that are going to be really hard to undo in the future. When your times up, it's up and you miss the questions you didn't get to. Force yourself to move on. Even if you cry, make yourself :) If you experience that negative feeling a few times in a row, I guarantee you'll speed up and before long, you'll only need the time you have for that passage.

As to EK's spectrum method, I think it's impractical to try and do that while you're taking the actual test. It's not a bad way to review passages and it might not even be a terrible idea for the one or two really difficult passages you encounter on test day, but overall, CARS is a test of timing more than anything else and the spectrum method just takes too much time.

I think consistent CARS practice is essential so in that regard yes I think it is typical. The CARS is a very weird section unlike any other tests we encounter in normal academic life. If you practice regularly and sufficiently review what you miss, it's very hard over time not to improve. The gains are gradual, but they do come. Just force yourself to keep pushing yourself on the timing front and when the timer goes off, time to move on. Best of luck and keep the questions coming!

@mikeman1994 - I'm really sorry I wasn't able to respond before 4/28. How did things turn out/ what did you decide to do? Best of luck!

Hi @TestingSolutions

Not a problem. You must be busy 24/7 and barely have time to breath.
Anyways, I rescheduled for 6/16/2017 because I have not been getting consistent results. In some CARS passages, I would have 90% correct and with others I would have 20%. The other sections are improving and climbing.

I took a week off from hardcore studying and completed a research internship to sort of clear my mind. I'm back to the grind now.
I'm thinking of restarting your 30 day plan again to get back in the pace of things. I'll keep taking full lengths each week - that's the plan at least. I'll be doing a lot more practice problems no matter what. I just need to figure out a plan, because I am working full time again.

Thanks

@mikeman1994 - Are you noticing if your scores are changing dramatically between different companies resources or all with the same company. I'd recommend doing a 4 or 5 AAMC passages and see where you're at. Those are going to be your best measure of where you're truly at. I think you made the right move pushing back your test. The #1 mistake people make on the MCAT is taking it when they aren't ready to take it. If I were you, I'd focus on:

Day 3 – Reviewing/ Timing
Day 11 – CARS Question Types: The Main Idea
Day 29 – Putting it All Together: How to Review an Entire CARS Practice Test

Is your timing okay? If it is, then make sure you're doing a full review of at least one or two passages that killed you that day. If your timing isn't, I'd wait on the full review approach until you've been able to gain more practice.

Best of luck and please keep us updated on your progress!

@mikeman1994 - Are you noticing if your scores are changing dramatically between different companies resources or all with the same company. I'd recommend doing a 4 or 5 AAMC passages and see where you're at. Those are going to be your best measure of where you're truly at. I think you made the right move pushing back your test. The #1 mistake people make on the MCAT is taking it when they aren't ready to take it. If I were you, I'd focus on:

Is your timing okay? If it is, then make sure you're doing a full review of at least one or two passages that killed you that day. If your timing isn't, I'd wait on the full review approach until you've been able to gain more practice.

Best of luck and please keep us updated on your progress!

Hi @TestingSolutions

I noticed my scores vary with same company. I have EK verbal books and PR verbal books as well. I am taking a Kaplan class, so I have access to their exams. The Kaplan CARS section is always all over the place - some days are good, and some days are bad. I have been getting somewhat more consistent results with EK and PR - scoring between 40%-55% correct.

I will try the AAMC passages and see where I stand. I just have to get back into the studying mood first and then go for it.

My timing was pretty good, and sometimes I would have 3-4 minutes left over by the end of the CARS section. I am not sure how my timing stands now, because I had one week off of intense studying.

Thanks again

@mattns - This is a tough question, but I think it ultimately comes down to the fact that the only company that perfectly mimics the CARS is the AAMC. Everyone else is just offering you their estimate of the CARS. I think we've done a pretty good job of capturing the CARS flavor and most people agree, but we're not perfect and neither is EK or any of the other companies. I wouldn't worry too much about your particular scores on EK, but instead would focus on the AAMC question packs. How are you doing on those materials? That's the real question. I think the biggest mistake a lot of people make is not getting to the AAMC materials soon enough/ not finishing a thorough review of those passages. The other companies are great practice and it's important, but stressing out about their materials is putting a lot of trust that a 35 out of 53 on an EK test equals a 35 out of 53 on the real thing, which I don't think is true. Best of luck and keep the questions coming!

Hey thanks for the reply. Yeah i've liked your material, and i'll write a review on amazon when i finish my exam. I've actually since upped my EK score a bit. I found that if i write 2-3 words that cue me to remember the main idea of each paragraph, i tend to score higher. I'm going to start the AAMC material in a week or two, so i can do it before my exam, but still have time to go over it thoroughly. thanks again

Hi @TestingSolutions

This 30-day guide has been fantastic and so helpful for me in terms of learning how to actually read a CARS passage properly rather than just read it like any other literature.
So far I've been scoring consistently 1 or 2 questions wrong per passage but some tests I will bomb just one passage (3/7 or 2/6) and that results in what could have been a 127 or 128 into a 126 or 125. Timing isn't really the issue, I feel that I spend the proper 9/10.5/12 minutes without having to rush however, I believe it is more of a comprehension problem and me just getting flustered that I know nothing on the topic and don't seem to grasp it fully. Is there anything you would suggest that might help me avoid this situation?

Thanks!

Do you suggest retaking a 512 mcat 129/126/127/130 with a 4.0 GPA? I'm not quite sure about the CARS section

EMERGENCY
Hey Testing Solutions,
I think I have found CARS success, but how can I maintain a consistent score from here on out? My exam is in 2.5 weeks.

I have been studying for the MCAT for a year now. Reading comprehension has always been a weakness for me on standardized tests. I came across your 30-day guide in desperation. I have read through the guide so many times, made flashcards, and extensively reviewed CARS passages just like you wanted us to (I still do the Keywords too). I have seen a modest amount of improvement over the months. I started off getting about 28/53 on EK101, TPR, and Testing Solutions. Recently, about 4 weeks ago, I have improved my score on EK101 to 35/53. I am very proud of this score. I feel like EK101 and Testing Solutions were very difficult.

A couple of weeks ago, I took the AAMC Scored 1 exam. I did very well in physics, but when I got to the CARS section, I was completely burnt out. I could not focus. I was rereading everything. I could not get into the CARS flow. I knew I did bad and received a 34/53 (124). I reviewed a few passages very extensively and realized that these were easy passages. I blamed stamina for my weak score. It was frustrating because I have literally tried everything to improve my score, but I had one last idea. COFFEE. I do not drink caffeine; in fact, I only drink water and Gatorade.

This weekend (two weeks later), I took AAMC Complete 1. I made a small black coffee with only one scoop of folders. I drank 2 sips before P/S. I felt relaxed and focused. I was pressured on time at the end and adrineline also kicked in. I actually scored a 51/59 to my amazement, my best score yet. I took my 10 min break, ate a sandwich and apple and chugged the rest of the coffee. I was locked and loaded and ready to go.

I never felt so good about CARS before. I was zooming through each passage. I was even predicting questions as I read the passages. I only got 5 questions wrong!!! (48/53). Completely shocked, but I have been taking so many more difficult practice exams that I have been very pessimistic when it has come to the AAMC practice exams. I have gained all my confidence, but the only thing I am worried about is replicating the same or similar focus on future practice exams and test day. QUESTION 1: Do you have any idea how I can consistently get into the CARS zone? I am taking a practice exam this weekend, and the following weekend, and the real MCAT is the weekend after that. (Question 2: Have you ever heard of a swing in a score from a 34/53 to a 48/53 in the span of 2 weeks? Is this a fluke? No, it can't be a fluke.)

ALSO, I finally finished CARS with 5 mins to spare. Usually, I finish right on time. The biggest reason for this is because I read the passages very very carefully and even read slower than usual. HOWEVER, I did not overthink the questions. I answered almost every question without referring to the passage and kept moving along. I am very scared that I will NOT do this on test day. I am a perfectionist, and I absolutely hate this quality about myself. I sacrifice time in order to make sure the question is correct. I really want to avoid being "hyper-meticulous" on test day. Question 3: Do you have any advice?

Question 4: Sorry, I have one last question. I have had a lot of trouble sleeping. I wake up at around 6am and cannot fall back asleep. It has been this way for the last couple of months. I am not stressed out at all. I go to the gym and hang out with my GF almost every day, but I just cannot get 8-9 hours of sleep. One biggest problem is my phone. I am constantly glued to my phone at night and when I wake up in the middle of the night, I just start planning out the rest of my day and cannot fall back to sleep. Sometimes locking my phone in my basement helps so I am not distracted before I fall asleep at night or during the night. Melatonin pills do not help. I also do not drink caffeine.

Thank you soooooo much for all your help. You do not know how difficult it has been to get to this point. I have taken hard work and sacrifice to a whole other level and TRULY with all my heart want to show to myself that I can overcome this challenge. It has really been a rough and tolling process. I want to be done with this exam once and for all, enjoy my summer, and move along with my life. God bless. God bless.

PS I love your motivation in each post. It has given me so much optimism and I am FINALLY receiving the results I have worked so hard to obtain.

Last edited:
Hi Testing Solutions, I was wondering if it's possible to buy t7 and t8 or the t7-t11 bundle? I bought the first bundle on May 21 and didn't realize that your schedule on the guide includes t7 and t8. Please let me know if I can still purchase those. I emailed your company through the website 6 days ago and have not yet received any response so I'm posting here.

@TestingSolutions

I wanted to say that I finished the "application" section of the 30-day guide and I immediately started getting those questions correct with more frequency (I'm still getting some of them wrong but that's what practice is for right!!)

I just had a quick question: What is your advice on vocabulary on the MCAT? Occasionally, I'll get a question wrong just because a word was the exact opposite of what I thought it meant.

@TestingSolutions

I'm on day 17, and it seems that for some reason this week, my cars score has dropped significantly. It seems that I am still having a difficult time comprehending passages. Reading comprehension has always been a weakness of mine so I have been trying to practice every day by following this 30-day guide. I have gotten the timing day down and today will be the first day I will be using key word review. Any words of wisdom for consistent improvement?

Tips for Implication Questions:

– When you believe you’ve correctly identified the inference, be sure to double check the premises that support it, both that they are true and also that the directionality of the application of the premises is correct.

– Look for the necessary conclusions of the support given in the passage.

– What are the underlying assumptions that the author relies on to make his or her argument? What must be true for the argument to be true? These assumptions will lead you to the correct inference.

– With inference questions, try to identify which of the answer choices is grounded in the support given in the passage. Then remove these pieces and see if it affects the author's thesis. If the author’s thesis is weakened or bankrupt without the premises, you know have identified the essential premise and thus a necessary unstated conclusion, which with inference questions, equals the correct answer.

– Usually, you’ll just have a feeling about inference questions. The best answer is the one that seems to make the most sense. Which one is most supported by the passage? More often than not, that's your answer.

I believe this should say Inference instead?

@TestingSolutions

I recently purchased the bundle and am excited to begin. Test date is 99 days out, which means I want to start the schedule relatively soon, but I had a few important questions before I begin:

1.) On the very first page of the thread, you list Next Step FL's #1-5 as "required materials" but they are not listed on the actual 90-day schedule. In contrast, on the 90-day schedule, you list EK FL's, however, they are not listed under "required materials". Perhaps I missed something, but could you clarify this discrepancy? Which one is required

2.) Would it be ok to start the schedule a little earlier than 90 days? (e.g. I would like to start tomorrow at the 98-day out mark, to allow for a little breathing room.)

3.) Is there a list of the most appropriate passages in EK 101 (pre-2015) and TPRH Verbal given that some are no longer reflective of current MCAT?

4.) Is it recommended to still cover the science based passages at any point?

5.) You reviewed and ranked available materials on the first page of the thread. Is it advisable to work through the extra material that not required at any point? (e.g. I have the EK 10th edition and am debating on whether to actually spend time on the "Research and Reasoning Section". I ask b/c since I have not begun your schedule, I'm not sure if I am going to come across contradictory information/strategies?

6.) Is there a central document that summarizes schedule outside of this thread? Just wondering if there is a more convenient way to reference a daily guide?

7.) There are multiple handouts/guides on dropbox. When will we reference these handouts? Would it be helpful to print all these out and have them handy?

Congrats on getting into Stanford and thanks again for sharing your resources!

Dear @TestingSolutions ,

I accidentally stumbled upon TS materials last January and I have to say your passages are beyond all the best praises. TS package should be referenced on AAMC web-page as a wonderful resource for MCAT.
That said, I want to interest would you recommend KhanAcademy passages and what could you say about their hardness, accuracy?

Best regards,
Jamil.

Quick question! You mention taking 3 long breaths before the start of each passage as well as a 10-15 preview by reading the first sentences of each paragraph..should that be included in 4 min/passage or can we start our individual timer for passage as a whole (i.e. 9, 10.5..) then when we actually start reading the passage, we can start our 4 min/passage timer.
**still on day 5 of this guide.

What if I only have 10 weeks? Is there a way to ramp up intensity, or is it best to just accomplish what I can?

Reactions: 1 user
I actually already have! I have used the pacing guidelines for each passage and they definitely help! Looking forward to more improvements.

Hey,

I was looking at your application stats. If you dont mind me asking how did you do on your MCAT. Considering you got into DOs but not an MD.

Day 22 – CARS Answer Pathologies: Part I

Finally, something new! Today, we start our Answer Pathologies mini-series. Each day I’ll take you through a few of the MCAT’s favorite ways to come up with incorrect answer choices. With every question on the MCAT you get incorrect you’ve made two mistakes. You’ve missed the correct answer, and you’ve been tricked by a wrong one. We’ll be taking a look at this latter aspect over the next few days with the hopes of getting you to a place where you can eliminate one, two, or sometimes even three of the four answer choices just based on knowing the basics of what makes a wrong answer wrong. You should up your daily passage to four from here on ou.! Let’s get to it!

The Too(s):

So one thing to keep in mind with all of these answer types is that it is difficult to see them in action without actually doing practice passages and questions. Every answer choice on our practice tests has the type of answer choice outlined and explained in detail. So if you’re looking to put the lessons of these next few days into action, our practice tests are designed for you to zoom in on the particular answer pathologies that trip you up the most.

There are three types of “Too” answer pathologies on the CARS. There are answers choices that are too narrow in scope, too broad in scope and too extreme in modality. Learning how to recognize each will pay off big time come test day. Let’s take a closer look at each.

Too NarrowToo Narrow answer choices are some of the most common incorrect answer choices on the MCAT. They are extremely easy to come up with because the test takers simply look to the passage and select a narrowly focused paragraph or idea and present it as the main idea of the passage. A good example of this might be a main idea question about Pablo Picasso’s general approach to art, but a Too Narrow answer choice would focus on the one paragraph in the passage that is concerned with Picasso's blue period. To make the blue period the main idea of the passage would be to have an answer choice that is far too narrow to be correct. If you find yourself with an answer choice that seems to leave out or forgets about majors parts of the passage, be weary. This is probably a too narrow answer choice.​

Too BroadToo Broad answer choices are the opposite of the Too Narrow type. In this case, the passage has a more centralized focus than the answer choice implies. If we take the example of the passage about Pablo Picasso’s general approach to art, a Too Broad answer choice might be something that surveys all of 20th-century art. This answer choice is far too large in scope to accurately depict the focus of the passage. Broad answer choices are usually easier to notice because they are too general. General questions almost always have general answers on the CARS, but sometimes you might say to yourself, “Hey, this answer choice is too general.” If that’s the case, you’ve got a too broad answer choice. Mark it out!​

Too Extreme – Too extreme answer choices take the author’s position and by the insertion of an extreme modal qualifier amp up the author’s point to such a degree that it becomes unsupported, and as a result, becomes wrong. Take a close look back at Day 7 to get these keywords down. You’ll be looking for words such as “always,” “never,” “rarely,” and the like. Extreme answer choices are particularly difficult because they look familiar and often use information from the passage. They become wrong by the insertion of unsupported modalities of strength or weakness. This is why developing an eye for modal qualifiers can pay major dividends come test day. Make sure that an answer choice is not only something that the author thinks but that it is also strengthened to the proper degree.​

That’s it for today! Be on the lookout for these three answer types in your daily passages. Once you complete this guide, use the included practice test to identify which answer pathologies trip you up the most. The rest of our practice tests break every answer choice down in exactly the same way so you can easily determine which give you the most trouble. Keep up the hard work! You’re doing great. Don’t forget your four passages for today.

Today's Assignment: Do Four CARS Passages Consecutively, Under Timed Conditions

..::..

I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” – Thomas A. Edison

Do you have any suggestions for how to tackle questions that say "an important comparison is made in the passage between" Is this more of a main idea type question? I am having trouble with these questions in terms of trying to figure out if they want the main idea or a specific comparison. Thanks!

I am on day 18 and my timing is down, but I am still missing a lot of questions. I am getting around 2-3 questions per passage correct. I am using the EK 101 Verbal book. Any tips on how to improve?

Thanks

Testing Solutions' 30 Day Guide to MCAT CARS Success

How to Use this Guide:

For most students, the CARS section will be the most difficult section they'll face on test day. As pre-meds, most of us know how to study. We know how to memorize details and facts, and how to apply what we know under new conditions. We are not; however, particularly good at the soft skills the MCAT CARS section tests. To make matters worse, most students do not know how to study for the CARS section. They don't know what to practice, how to review, how many passages to do or even when to do them. They do some passages here and there, try this strategy then that, but they never get to the point that they feel comfortable or adequately prepared to do their best on the CARS section. This guide will answer all your questions and even some you didn't know you had. It's meant to be exhaustive and provide you with everything you need to know to achieve an ultra-high CARS score. It is your step by step guide to getting you from the couch to MCAT CARS success.

Just a little bit about me to let you know my qualifications. I'm going to be an M1 at Stanford Medical School this fall (2016). I’m also the lead test writer for Testing Solutions, LLC. I’ve spent well over 1,700+ hours writing practice passages and questions sets and analyzing the AAMC’s released verbal and CARS practice materials in order to identify the patterns the AAMC uses when they construct their tests, as well as the most commonly seen answer traps they set for you. I’ve written 80+ passage and question sets from the ground up. I scored in the 99% percentile on the MCAT and have taught courses and was a private tutor for the country’s largest MCAT prep company. I got tired of their sub-par materials and highway robbery approach to preying on premeds fears to make a buck (As well as their preying on me. One of my tutoring students paid $175 an hour to work with me, and I was paid $30), so I left to start Testing Solutions, LLC.

This is the only guide you'll need to get the score you want on the CARS section. I've read most of the other guides out there and the major forum threads on MCAT Verbal/ CARS. I've gathered all of the best ideas so you don't have to. I've weeded through the junk and have solidified the lessons, tips and tricks that have worked for my students over the years. In truth, the most important factor in determining your CARS score is the number of passages you do. I did over 400 passages when I was studying for the MCAT myself. There is no way around it. You have to do a ton of passages in order to strength the skills the CARS section tests. With that said, if you read this book one day at a time, master everything we discuss, AND do way more practice passages than you think a sane person would ever you, you are going to do well on the CARS section. The key is to give yourself a ton of time and to do a ton of practice. If you're able to do this for yourself, you have everything you need to do well on the CARS.

One final note, if you have a question about this guide or the CARS section in general, we look at this thread often so please feel free to leave any questions you may have or use it just to check in. We'll usually respond within a day.

Table of Contents | Schedule to MCAT CARS Success:

While our study guide is 30 days long, most MCATers will need roughly 90 days to get to an MCAT CARS score they'll be happy with. I've outlined the schedule I recommend to my students below, as well as the materials that you'll need to complete the schedule.

Here Are the Materials I Recommend:
  • Get either Exam Krackers 101 Passage in MCAT Verbal Reasoning (EK101) or The Princeton Review's Hyperlearning Verbal Workbook (TPR)

• Testing Solutions CARS Practice Tests T1-T10
  • Next Step Full-Length MCAT 1 – 5

• AAMC Official MCAT Sample Test

• AAMC Official MCAT Practice Exam (Scored) 1 & 2

• AAMC Question Packs 1 & 2
Phase I - For the first 30 days, while you cover the major strategy points in this guide, I recommend you use passages from either EK 101 or TPR. In this phase of your preparation, you'll do a total of 69 passages. I'll explain how and when to do these passages in the guide.

Phase II - In the next 30 days, you'll take 14 CARS Full-Length Practice Tests. I recommend using Testing Solutions' Practice Tests (T1-T8) as well as your remaining passages from EK101 and TPR. You'll also use the AAMC Question Packs. In this phase, you'll do 126 passages.

Phase III - In the final 30 days, your CARS prep will largely be integrated with your taking of full-length MCAT practice tests. I have you taking all three of EK's full-lengths, four of Next Steps' full-lengths, and the two available AAMC practice tests. There are break days built in so. One some break days, you'll do one passage, just to keep you sharp, while on other break days, you'll just rest. In this final phase of your preparation, you'll do 85 passages. Thus, if you follow this schedule to the “T,” you'll do 361 CARS practice passages. If you do that many practice passages, and follow the techniques I outline in this guide, you'll come as close to a guarantee of scoring 129+ on the CARS section as is possible. I have never had a student that has actually followed this schedule and not be happy with their score.

This schedule was designed to fit into whatever general schedule/ approach you're employing for the other three sections. Most days, you'll spend around an hour and a half on CARS, but sometimes more will be required. The key to mastering the CARS is to do a little bit each day. You cannot cram for the CARS. This section must be respected. Just like how you eat an elephant, remember that it's just one bite at a time, one day at a time. WARNING: Do not get behind on this schedule. If you're worried about that, build in some extra break days at the end of the schedule (Which is to say, start this schedule 100 days out from your test instead of 90, however, the compressed and rigorous nature of this schedule does build your stamina and prepares you for the rigors of test day, so don't let too much time lapse between practice tests.) It is not possible to do two days in one to catch up.

TIP: For those of you who will be going through this guide on a daily basis, it can be time consuming to find the correct day's post due to all the questions. We've created a "Table of Contents" PDF which has links to each post. You can use the PDF to jump directly to the post you're on. Download your "Table of Contents" here! If you don't want to bother with reading this guide on SDN, our Practice Test Bundle includes a high quality PDF version of this guide as an added bonus. Check it out here!

Week I:

In Week I, you'll do one passage per day.

Day 1 – The Plan/ Getting Your Materials
Day 2 – Breaking Down the MCAT CARS Section
Day 4 – MCAT CARS Myths: The “Don'ts”
Day 5 – How to Approach the MCAT CARS Section – The Passage
Day 6 – Passage Types: Argumentative
Day 7 – Argumentation: Modality

Week II:

In Week II, you'll do two passage per day, timed individually.

Day 8 – Passage Types: Descriptive

Day 9 – How to Use Keywords
Day 10 – Health, Wellness, and Stress Management – The Second Key
Day 12 – CARS Question Types: Passage Detail
Day 13 – CARS Question Types: Implication
Day 14 – CARS Question Types: Inference *Break -Don't do any passages today.

Week III:

In Week III, you'll do three passage per day, timed individually.

Day 15 – CARS Question Types: Application
Day 16 – CARS Question Types: Integration of New Information
Day 17 – CARS Question Types: Attitude
Day 18 – CARS Question Types: Meaning of a Term
Day 19 – CARS Question Types: Author Technique
Day 20 – CARS Question Format: Negation Questions
Day 21 – CARS Question Format: Roman Numerals *Break -Don't do any passages today.

Week IV:

In Week IV, you'll do four passage per day until the 25th and then do five passages per day. Do the passages consecutively, timed together.

Day 22 – CARS Answer Pathologies – Part I
Day 23 – CARS Answer Pathologies – Part II
Day 24 – CARS Answer Pathologies – Part III
Day 25 – How to Take a CARS Full-Length Practice Test
Day 26 – How to Review a CARS Passage
Day 27 – How to Review CARS Questions
Day 28 – How to Review CARS Answers *Break - Don't do any passages today.

Week V:

You'll do six passages on Day 29 and Day 30. Do the passages consecutively, timed together.

Day 30Advanced Study Techniques
Day 31 – 9 Passages from EK101 or TPR (90 Minutes)
Day 32 – Review 9 Passages
Day 33 – 9 Passages from EK101 or TPR (90 Minutes)
Day 34 – Review 9 Passages
Day 35 – *Break - Don't do any passages today.

Week VI:

Day 36 – 9 Passages from EK101 or TPR (90 Minutes)
Day 37 Review 9 Passages
Day 38 – T1 – Testing Solutions CARS Full-Length Practice Test T1
Day 39 – Review T1
Day 40 – T2 – Testing Solutions CARS Full-Length Practice Test T2
Day 41 – Review T2
Day 42*Break - Don't do any passages today.

Week VII:

Day 43 – T3 – Testing Solutions CARS Full-Length Practice Test T3
Day 44 – Review T3
Day 45 – T4 – Testing Solutions CARS Full-Length Practice Test T4
Day 46 – Review T4
Day 47 – T5 – Testing Solutions CARS Full-Length Practice Test T5
Day 48 – Review T5
Day 49 –*Break - Don't do any passages today.

Week VIII:

Day 50 – T6 – Testing Solutions CARS Full-Length Practice Test T6
Day 51 – Review T6
Day 52 – T7 – Testing Solutions CARS Full-Length Practice Test T7
Day 53 – Review T7
Day 54 – T8 – Testing Solutions CARS Full-Length Practice Test T8
Day 55 – Review T8
Day 56*Break - Don't do any passages today.

Week IX:

Day 57 – (9) Passages from AAMC CARS Question Pack (90 Minutes)
Day 58 – Review CARS Practice Test Question Pack
Day 59 – (9) Passages from AAMC CARS Question Pack (90 Minutes)
Day 60 – Review CARS Practice Test Question Pack
Day 61 – (9) Passages from AAMC CARS Question Pack (90 Minutes)
Day 62 – Review CARS Practice Test Question Pack
Day 63 – *Break - Don't do any passages today.

Week X:

Day 64 – (9) Passages from AAMC CARS Question Pack (90 Minutes)
Day 65 – Review CARS Practice Test Question Pack
Day 66 – Exam Krackers Full-Length MCAT 1
Day 67 – Review Exam Krackers Full-Length MCAT 1
Day 68 – Exam Krackers Full-Length MCAT 2
Day 69 – Review Exam Krackers Full-Length MCAT 2
Day 70 – *Break - Do (2) Passage from AAMC CARS Question Pack

Week XI:

Day 71 – AAMC Official MCAT Sample Test
Day 72 – Review AAMC Official MCAT Sample Test
Day 73 – *Break – Don't do any passages today.
Day 74 – Exam Krackers Full-Length MCAT 3
Day 75 – Review Exam Krackers Full-Length MCAT 3
Day 76 – *Break - Do (2) Passage from AAMC CARS Question Pack
Day 77 – AAMC Official MCAT Practice Exam (Scored) 1

Week XII:

Day 78 – AAMC Official MCAT Practice Exam (Scored) 1
Day 79 – *Break - Do (2) Passage from AAMC CARS Question Pack
Day 80 – Exam Krackers Full-Length MCAT 4
Day 81 – Review Exam Krackers Full-Length MCAT 4
Day 82 – *Break - Do (2) Passage from AAMC CARS Question Pack
Day 83 – AAMC Official MCAT Practice Exam (Scored) 2
Day 84 – AAMC Official MCAT Practice Exam (Scored) 2

Week XIII:

Day 85 –*Break – Don't do any passages today.
Day 86 – Exam Krackers Full-Length MCAT 5
Day 87 – Review Exam Krackers Full-Length MCAT 5
Day 88 – (5) CARS Passages from AAMC Study Guide
Day 89 – *Break – Don't do any passages today.
Day 90 – Test Day

Oh NO!! My test is in XX Number of Days:

Despite our best laid plans, sometimes things don't turn out the way we intend. I often get emails from students telling me that their test is in a week or in a month asking what they should do. The following is my best advice if you find yourself in such a situation.

Emergency #1 – My Test is in a Week:

So your test is in a week and your score still isn't where you'd like it to be. What do you do? If you aren't close to your target score, my first recommendation would be to push your date back. I know this costs money and time, and it is not what you hoped for nor expected, as it may well throw off your plans/ schedule for applying to med school. But the MCAT is the single most important factor in your application. It is not the only factor, but it is hands down the most important factor. The rest of your application may be great, but a poor MCAT score will hurt even the strongest of applications and at some schools, if you don't make their “cut” score, your application might not even be reviewed. It is unfortunate that one day's test scores can undo years of research, volunteering, and all the hard work that goes into a strong GPA, but the truth is that your MCAT score very much can. It is not something to play with. This is the single biggest mistake most premeds make when it comes to their medical school application, and it costs many of them a shot at their dream career. If your test is in a week and you haven't scored within a scaled point of the lowest score you'd be pleased with on the CARS, my recommendation would be to delay the test for at least six weeks. Even if it means having to take a year off. Once you have a poor MCAT score attached to your name, every score after that score, no matter how high, will have your low score sitting right above it casting a shadow on all future attempts or hard work. Don't do that to yourself, unless you absolutely have to take the risk.

The only situation in which I could possibly recommend you taking such a risk would be when 1) You absolutely have to take the MCAT at this particular time, 2) You'd be happy/ overjoyed with attending a lower mid to lower tier school, 3) Your other three sections are strong (127+) and you can reasonably trust that your other sections will be able to carry some of the weight if your CARS score doesn't, and 4) you would be ok with a 125 on the CARS. As for your school selections, if you do have to retake because of a bad score, your initial low score will not have as major of an impact on your application if you're applying to a lower mid to lower tier school. If you have your heart set on Harvard, Yale, University of Chicago or some other top tier school, or even many mid-tier schools, you simply cannot take the risk of having a low MCAT score on your application. Top 15 schools simply have too many good applicants to choose from. If you're ok with a 125 on the CARS, your situation isn't too gloomy, as most test takers already possess the reasoning capacity to score a 125 on the CARS if given enough time. The issue for most test takers is timing. You can improve your timing in a short period of time, so for most MCATers, it is possible to get from say a 121 to a 125 in a week or so if one works hard. I've seen it done, but with that said, don't expect to raise your score more than 4 or 5 scaled points in less than a month, especially if we're talking about picking up those points in the 123 to 125 range.

Ok, with all of the warnings out of the way, what do I recommend you do when your test date is a week out?

1) Every day for the next five days, find 9 of the hardest passages you can and do each passage timed individually with the appropriate time interval per number of questions per passage (9 minutes for a 5 question passage, 10.5 minutes for a 6 question passage, and 12 minutes for a 7 question passage). Do each of the 9 passages individually setting the timer for the respective time for just that passage, but do all 9 passages consecutively, one right after the other, resetting the time after each passage. This will build your stamina but will also require you to do each passage at the correct CARS pace. Your timing will improve if you do this. When the timer goes off for the passage, do not finish the remaining questions. Move on to the next passage, and reset the timer. The pain of having to see those empty question bubbles one or two times will motivate you to get your timing under control, and to speed up.

2) Read through the passage once, shooting for a total time of 3 minutes, but be sure to take no longer than 4 minutes. Once you've finished reading the passage, do not go back to reread the passage under any circumstances until you've answered every question on the test. You cannot allow yourself to go back to look for details. Mark the question, guess, and keep moving.

3) Be sure not to spend more than two minutes on any given question. If you are stuck, mark the question, guess, and move on. You can come back to it later if you have time. The most likely reason you're struggling with the CARS section is because of your timing. Letting go of hard questions and limiting yourself to only two minutes per question is the easiest way to quickly improve your timing and thus CARS score. Almost anyone can score a 125 if given enough time. If you were to get your timing under control, right now as you read these words, you're very likely able to score in the 125 range on the CARS without any other improvements. Timing is key!

4) If you're still unable to get your timing under control after five days of 9 passages a day, the final option you have is what I call the “big gamble.” I am hesitant to recommend it except to those who are in the most extreme of cases and who are ok with an average or slightly below average score on the CARS section. This strategy would only be advisable for those who aren't able to get their scores above the 122 mark and have to take the MCAT within the next few days.​

Here's what you do. With the first 5 question passage you come to, you mark “C” for every question and then simply keep going. You don't read the passage, you don't read the questions. You basically take the hit and turn the 9 passage CARS test into an 8 passage CARS test.

Let me explaining the reasoning behind this so you can decide if this option would ever be a wise move for you and your particular goals. This is not a good idea for anyone looking to score higher than a 125 on the CARS, so keep this in mind. Simply because of the odds of it, you will likely get 1 out of the 5 questions correct you guessed on. You may even get lucky and get 2 correct, but lets be conservative and say you just get one question correct. Thus, you start the CARS test with a possible score of 49 out of 53 (you've already missed 4 questions from your first skipped passage.) Now let's assume that with the extra 9 minutes you gain by skipping the 5 question passage, you're able to score a percentage correct of the remaining 49 questions at around 75%. This would have you getting roughly 36 or 37 questions correct, which leaves you solidly in the 125 range, plus or minus 1 question. If you get lucky or able to score higher than 75% correct with the extra time, you could reasonably be looking at the 126 range.

This may be a good option for you if you're currently scoring in the 121 to 123 and your other sections are strong. For example, assume that you score 127, 128 and 128 on the other three sections. With a 125 on the CARS you end up with a 508 which isn't that bad of a score for many lower tier and mid to low tier schools. Instead of having to take the test again because of a 121 on the CARS, you'll end up with a reasonably strong composite score. If the rest of your application is strong, you'll be competitive at lower/mid tier medical schools. Like I said, I would only think about this strategy if you meet all four of the earlier qualifications I mentioned above. If you decide to go this route, take at least one practice test before your test day using this strategy to make sure that the extra time pops you up into the 75% correct range. If it doesn't, push your test day back. I'll just say this one more time. USER BEWARE on this one!

Emergency #2 – My Test is in a Month:

This is a much better situation to be in than the “My Test is in a Week” person. I've seen people go from the 122 range up into the 127 and 128 range in a month quite regularly. It is very possible. Here are the keys.

Don't waste your time reviewing your practice tests until you get into the 127 to 128 range consistently. Use the time you would have been reviewing passages to do more passages. The truth is that reviewing the rational behind correct answers benefits you very little if your time is still off, which it almost always is for anyone scoring under a 127. Once you are no longer losing easy points to the clock, then you can start to review.

As is almost always the case on the CARS, low scores are most commonly a result of poor timing. My prescription for your first two weeks is to do 5 to 6 passages each day. Set the timer for one passage and finish the passage and question set. When the time is up, reset the timer for the next passage, and move on, even if you haven't completed the questions for the previous passage.

Be sure to finish reading the passage in 3 to 4 minutes, and don't go back to reread the passage for anything while answering the questions.

After doing two weeks of the above, for the next five days, take a practice CARS test each day. Take one break day, and then repeat the five days, taking a practice CARS test each day. Don't waste your time reviewing your practice tests until you're in the golden 127 to 128 range. This will put you 3 days out from the test. Take another break day, and then take one final practice test two days before your test day. I'd recommend not even grading this one, as an aberrant low score might shoot your confidence. If you've done the above, you'll be in good shape come test day. If you find yourself no longer struggling to finish the test in time, then you can begin to review the passages even if you haven't reached the 127 range, but don't start reviewing passages and questions beyond taking a peek at the ones you got wrong until your timing is rock solid. I know this is uncomfortable for some of you, but trust me on this one Timing is the foundation of every ultra high score on the CARS. If you don't have timing, you have nothing.

In our next post, we'll review all available CARS materials so you can make the decision that's best for you.

Hi, I have 60 days to the MCAT. How do you recommend condensing this schedule to 60 days? thank you.

Long time creeper here. First, thank you for posting this guide. It's really helped to break down question/answer types and provided me with a framework to study CARS on top of a full time work schedule.

Second, I'm a little worried about the TS tests; namely, they seem much harder than any other material I've looked at. I got 96% on the AAMC sample test as a diagnostic and have been getting 127 - 129 on TPR stuff, as well as 80-90 on EK101. However, after 4 TS practice tests, my scores have plummeted to around 70%! Is this normal? People in your "testimonies" have said they that the difficulty in TS approximates the actual MCAT - if so, are we all doomed?
Thanks again!

@TestingSolutions

hi there
I purchased the package with 8 CARS tests, last summer ( July 2016). I saw that there is a new package with 6 CARS tests, are these passages different than the ones from last year ? What are the changes made to this new package ?

Many thanks.

I am on day 18 and my timing is down, but I am still missing a lot of questions. I am getting around 2-3 questions per passage correct. I am using the EK 101 Verbal book. Any tips on how to improve?

Thanks

@C013 i am in the same boat. I have my timing down but I am not getting enough answers correct. I am using EK 101 and also getting around 1-3 questions right per passage it varies. If you get a response before I do, please share your tips!

@TestingSolutions

I am on day 18. I have my timing down but I am not getting as many answers correct as I would like. My scores vary but I would say that I am scoring at least half or under half on my passages. Also, in regards to the question stems, it varies as well. It seems like I struggle with all of the stems. It doesn't seem to me that there is a particular stem that I favor. I am using EK 101 for prep. Any recommendations?

Hi @TestingSolutions

I noticed my scores vary with same company. I have EK verbal books and PR verbal books as well. I am taking a Kaplan class, so I have access to their exams. The Kaplan CARS section is always all over the place - some days are good, and some days are bad. I have been getting somewhat more consistent results with EK and PR - scoring between 40%-55% correct.

I will try the AAMC passages and see where I stand. I just have to get back into the studying mood first and then go for it.

My timing was pretty good, and sometimes I would have 3-4 minutes left over by the end of the CARS section. I am not sure how my timing stands now, because I had one week off of intense studying.

Thanks again

@mikeman1994 - How are things going? I think one of the most difficult things about using multiple resources is that it's hard to know what an EK 128 means in terms of a TPR 126 in terms of a Kaplan 129. It's probably not a bad idea to use a variety of resources (assuming you have the time and energy to do so) because everyone that isn't the AAMC (including us) is just giving you their best guess as to what the CARS is like. Now granted, some companies have much better materials than others, but nonetheless, the only place that's going to give you a true representation of where you're at is the AAMC. I wouldn't worry too much about your percentage corrects plus or minus 10% with other materials. Use those materials to practice your timing and strategies. Then, when you get to the place where you're ready to put it all into practice, that's the time to use the AAMC materials to perfect your CARS. I wouldn't pay too much attention to scores until then. Please let us know how things are going! Best, Nick

Hey thanks for the reply. Yeah i've liked your material, and i'll write a review on amazon when i finish my exam. I've actually since upped my EK score a bit. I found that if i write 2-3 words that cue me to remember the main idea of each paragraph, i tend to score higher. I'm going to start the AAMC material in a week or two, so i can do it before my exam, but still have time to go over it thoroughly. thanks again

@mattns - How's it going? I think trying to get to the Main Idea of the passage and maybe even of each paragraph is one of the quickest ways to improve your score. Let us know how your practice is progressing. Best regards, Nick

Do you suggest retaking a 512 mcat 129/126/127/130 with a 4.0 GPA? I'm not quite sure about the CARS section

medstudent00000002 - I think that really depends on what schools you're hoping to apply to. Your other sections are pretty good so I think it just depends on what your goals are. You may also run the risk of getting a lower score. What was your goal score going in to the test? Let us know how things are going and if there's any way we can help!

EMERGENCY
Hey Testing Solutions,
I think I have found CARS success, but how can I maintain a consistent score from here on out? My exam is in 2.5 weeks.

I have been studying for the MCAT for a year now. Reading comprehension has always been a weakness for me on standardized tests. I came across your 30-day guide in desperation. I have read through the guide so many times, made flashcards, and extensively reviewed CARS passages just like you wanted us to (I still do the Keywords too). I have seen a modest amount of improvement over the months. I started off getting about 28/53 on EK101, TPR, and Testing Solutions. Recently, about 4 weeks ago, I have improved my score on EK101 to 35/53. I am very proud of this score. I feel like EK101 and Testing Solutions were very difficult.

A couple of weeks ago, I took the AAMC Scored 1 exam. I did very well in physics, but when I got to the CARS section, I was completely burnt out. I could not focus. I was rereading everything. I could not get into the CARS flow. I knew I did bad and received a 34/53 (124). I reviewed a few passages very extensively and realized that these were easy passages. I blamed stamina for my weak score. It was frustrating because I have literally tried everything to improve my score, but I had one last idea. COFFEE. I do not drink caffeine; in fact, I only drink water and Gatorade.

This weekend (two weeks later), I took AAMC Complete 1. I made a small black coffee with only one scoop of folders. I drank 2 sips before P/S. I felt relaxed and focused. I was pressured on time at the end and adrineline also kicked in. I actually scored a 51/59 to my amazement, my best score yet. I took my 10 min break, ate a sandwich and apple and chugged the rest of the coffee. I was locked and loaded and ready to go.

I never felt so good about CARS before. I was zooming through each passage. I was even predicting questions as I read the passages. I only got 5 questions wrong!!! (48/53). Completely shocked, but I have been taking so many more difficult practice exams that I have been very pessimistic when it has come to the AAMC practice exams. I have gained all my confidence, but the only thing I am worried about is replicating the same or similar focus on future practice exams and test day. QUESTION 1: Do you have any idea how I can consistently get into the CARS zone? I am taking a practice exam this weekend, and the following weekend, and the real MCAT is the weekend after that. (Question 2: Have you ever heard of a swing in a score from a 34/53 to a 48/53 in the span of 2 weeks? Is this a fluke? No, it can't be a fluke.)

ALSO, I finally finished CARS with 5 mins to spare. Usually, I finish right on time. The biggest reason for this is because I read the passages very very carefully and even read slower than usual. HOWEVER, I did not overthink the questions. I answered almost every question without referring to the passage and kept moving along. I am very scared that I will NOT do this on test day. I am a perfectionist, and I absolutely hate this quality about myself. I sacrifice time in order to make sure the question is correct. I really want to avoid being "hyper-meticulous" on test day. Question 3: Do you have any advice?

Question 4: Sorry, I have one last question. I have had a lot of trouble sleeping. I wake up at around 6am and cannot fall back asleep. It has been this way for the last couple of months. I am not stressed out at all. I go to the gym and hang out with my GF almost every day, but I just cannot get 8-9 hours of sleep. One biggest problem is my phone. I am constantly glued to my phone at night and when I wake up in the middle of the night, I just start planning out the rest of my day and cannot fall back to sleep. Sometimes locking my phone in my basement helps so I am not distracted before I fall asleep at night or during the night. Melatonin pills do not help. I also do not drink caffeine.

Thank you soooooo much for all your help. You do not know how difficult it has been to get to this point. I have taken hard work and sacrifice to a whole other level and TRULY with all my heart want to show to myself that I can overcome this challenge. It has really been a rough and tolling process. I want to be done with this exam once and for all, enjoy my summer, and move along with my life. God bless. God bless.

PS I love your motivation in each post. It has given me so much optimism and I am FINALLY receiving the results I have worked so hard to obtain.

@academy4dawise - I'm sorry this is getting to you so late. We've been really short handed at TS and I just wrapped up my 1st year at Stanford and needless to say, medical school is indeed hard :) I've answered your questions below. Let us know how things are going!

QUESTION 1: Do you have any idea how I can consistently get into the CARS zone?

I know what you're talking about in terms of the CARS zone. I could just feel on some practice tests that I was going to crush it and that on others I wasn't. Here are my thoughts: 1) The best way to get into this zone is to do a ton of practice passages. While the coffee and food you describe is great, make sure you'll be able to replicate those things during your actual test day or it might not be good to build those into your routine. I think the more you can rely less on outside things and just build up your comfort level and internal stamina for the test the better. 2) Sometimes I was surprised that I did much better on CARS tests than I thought and sometimes when I thought I did great, I didn't. The moral of the story is that your feelings, even if you feel in the CARS zone, may not align with how you're actually doing. I say this because a common thing that happens on the MCAT is that people don't feel great while they're taking it and their spirits flag and then they end up doing much worse because they've already convinced themselves they're not going to do well. My best advice is to not try to get into the CARS zone overall, but instead to focus anew on each question in front of you. How you did on the previous questions doesn't matter. How you're going to do on the next question doesn't matter. All that matters is the question in front of you. If you can keep that mentality, I think you'll be even better off than getting into the CARS zone.

QUESTION 2
: Have you ever heard of a swing in a score from a 34/53 to a 48/53 in the span of 2 weeks? Is this a fluke? No, it can't be a fluke.

While that is a pretty big jump, it's not that big of a jump. Look at it this way, if you had a very bad day on your first test and a very good day on your most recent test and then throw in two weeks more worth of serious practice, no I don't think it's a fluke. With that said, I wouldn't assume that you're just going to walk in and score a 48/53. Keep up the practice and hard work!

QUESTION 3: I really want to avoid being "hyper-meticulous" on test day. Do you have any advice?

This is a real toughie for most people. The best advice I can give is to use the clock. Don't go off of feeling go off of how much time you've spent on the question. If you realize you've spent two minutes on a question, it's time to mark that question and come back to it later. That is the single best way to avoid being hyper-vigilant, because as you know, when you let go of one or two super hard questions, you get in return 5 or 6 easy to medium ones. This makes a big difference in score. Use your clock as your guide!

QUESTION 4: Phone at Night!

This is a pretty common problem for most people. Here's my advice: 1) Charge your phone in another room besides your bedroom (But wait, how will I get up in the morning? Buy an alarm clock if you have to.) 2) Download one of those blue light filter apps for your computer and phone. (See Article Here) 3) Get a boring book and get up and read that book if you can't sleep. You'll eventually fall back asleep. If you want to feel productive and it doesn't stress you out, grab one of your MCAT prep textbooks and read through a section you find particularly boring. You will fall back asleep.

Keep up the hard work! You will get there if you keep putting in the energy and time. Let us know if there's anything we can do to help!

Warmest,
Nick

Hi Testing Solutions, I was wondering if it's possible to buy t7 and t8 or the t7-t11 bundle? I bought the first bundle on May 21 and didn't realize that your schedule on the guide includes t7 and t8. Please let me know if I can still purchase those. I emailed your company through the website 6 days ago and have not yet received any response so I'm posting here.

@fmalady - Send over an email to [email protected] and we'll see what we can do. Sorry for the confusion! Best of luck on your MCAT!

@TestingSolutions

I wanted to say that I finished the "application" section of the 30-day guide and I immediately started getting those questions correct with more frequency (I'm still getting some of them wrong but that's what practice is for right!!)

I just had a quick question: What is your advice on vocabulary on the MCAT? Occasionally, I'll get a question wrong just because a word was the exact opposite of what I thought it meant.

@LoveBeingHuman:) - I'm glad to hear you're having some more success with the application questions. Those can be tricky, but as you say, I do agree that that's what practice is for! As to your vocabulary question, I recommend you keep a list of words you don't know. After you finish a practice test and are reviewing the questions and passages, jot down any words you didn't know or even if there's a word that really stumps you during the test, go ahead and take a few seconds and write that word down too. Then afterwards, I'd recommend you make flashcards of these words. For the majority of people, they won't need significant work on their vocabulary to do well on the CARS. For students that learned English as a second language, depending on your background working with complex writings, you may need to invest a little more time on formal vocabulary practice. If you've got some time before your test, the very best way to improve your vocabulary is to read some each and every day. If your test is closer, you may have to resort to doing some more focused flashcard vocabulary lists. Best of luck on your MCAT!!

@TestingSolutions

I'm on day 17, and it seems that for some reason this week, my cars score has dropped significantly. It seems that I am still having a difficult time comprehending passages. Reading comprehension has always been a weakness of mine so I have been trying to practice every day by following this 30-day guide. I have gotten the timing day down and today will be the first day I will be using key word review. Any words of wisdom for consistent improvement?

Unfortunately, there is no golden key to MCAT CARS success nor is there a way to have "consistent improvement" as you put it. My experience with students has been that usually there are big gains and then dry periods. Then huge gains and then again dry periods. The key is to not get discouraged and realize this is normal. If you are consistently doing passages and reviewing them correct, over time, you will see improvement. It might not all be at once or be at the rate you want, but that's okay. Just keep it up!

@TestingSolutions

I recently purchased the bundle and am excited to begin. Test date is 99 days out, which means I want to start the schedule relatively soon, but I had a few important questions before I begin:

1.) On the very first page of the thread, you list Next Step FL's #1-5 as "required materials" but they are not listed on the actual 90-day schedule. In contrast, on the 90-day schedule, you list EK FL's, however, they are not listed under "required materials". Perhaps I missed something, but could you clarify this discrepancy? Which one is required

Thanks for catching that error! We used to recommend Next Step before EK came out with their exams. I've updated the schedule. Thank you!

2.) Would it be ok to start the schedule a little earlier than 90 days? (e.g. I would like to start tomorrow at the 98-day out mark, to allow for a little breathing room.)

I think that's a great idea, but don't give yourself too much space between days practicing. It's important to have consistent practice day in and day out. I think a couple extra days off spread out throughout the 90 days is fine though.

3.) Is there a list of the most appropriate passages in EK 101 (pre-2015) and TPRH Verbal given that some are no longer reflective of current MCAT?

We've talked about putting together a list of those passages, but as of yet, I haven't found one. I think I'd just skip any passages that deal with a Natural Science passage. The new MCAT doesn't have any of those science based passages so it'd be a waste of your time to do them.

4.) Is it recommended to still cover the science based passages at any point?

See above. I'd skip them as they're not going to help you that much. It'd be better to spend that time elsewhere.

5.) You reviewed and ranked available materials on the first page of the thread. Is it advisable to work through the extra material that not required at any point? (e.g. I have the EK 10th edition and am debating on whether to actually spend time on the "Research and Reasoning Section". I ask b/c since I have not begun your schedule, I'm not sure if I am going to come across contradictory information/strategies?

Obviously, you can take whatever you want and leave the rest, but I think it's important not to try and mix too many strategies. What we've outlined here is tried and true and I really believe the best way to approach the CARS. A lot of students jump around with strategies and never really get good at the CARS because they're just trying to find a quick fix. Give our recommendations a try for a couple of months and see before trying other strategies. That's my recommendation.

6.) Is there a central document that summarizes schedule outside of this thread? Just wondering if there is a more convenient way to reference a daily guide?

TIP: For those of you who will be going through this guide on a daily basis, it can be time consuming to find the correct day's post due to all the questions. We've created a "Table of Contents" PDF which has links to each post. You can use the PDF to jump directly to the post you're on. Download your "Table of Contents" here! If you don't want to bother with reading this guide on SDN, our Practice Test Bundle includes a high quality PDF version of this guide as an added bonus. Check it out here!

7.) There are multiple handouts/guides on dropbox. When will we reference these handouts? Would it be helpful to print all these out and have them handy?

We'll reference those handouts as we use them in the daily posts. I think you can wait to print them off until you need them, but if you'd rather have them all ahead of a time, that's great too!

Congrats on getting into Stanford and thanks again for sharing your resources!

Thanks!! Best of luck on your MCAT and please do stay in touch!

Dear @TestingSolutions ,

I accidentally stumbled upon TS materials last January and I have to say your passages are beyond all the best praises. TS package should be referenced on AAMC web-page as a wonderful resource for MCAT.
That said, I want to interest would you recommend KhanAcademy passages and what could you say about their hardness, accuracy?

Best regards,
Jamil.

Thank you for your kind words! I've heard that the Khan Academy passages super easy. I haven't spent much time with them, but since they're free it's probably not a terrible idea to give them a try if you've got the time/ energy. Best of luck!