USMLE/COMLEX Test Prep Week Raffle USMLE Prep Course Giveaway

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For SDN's Test Prep Week, we are giving away a free USMLE® prep course valued at $1000*.

Here's how you enter:
1. Ask us a question or leave a comment on one of our SDN Test Prep Week forum threads.
2. SDN will select and notify the winner after Test Prep Week.

Ask us a question. Leave a comment.

*This free course cannot be redeemed for cash or used retroactively on existing enrollments. It must be redeemed by June 30, 2015. To be eligible, you must reside in the U.S., and leave us a comment or ask us a question on one of our SDN Test Prep Week forum threads.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Loved the Qbank for Step 1. How frequently is the qbank and supplemental material for the high yield program updated? Also, are there any statistics available for scores that students achieved who supplemented Step 2 studying with Kaplan?

For students taking Step 1 after 3rd year, does Kaplan recommend concurrent use of the Step 1 and Step 2 Qbanks? Or should we just use Step 2 throughout the year and take the Step 1 course right before our exam?

How adequate are your step 3 materials for the new usmle step 3? Are the basic sciences well represented?

Members don't see this ad :)
Loved the Qbank for Step 1. How frequently is the qbank and supplemental material for the high yield program updated? Also, are there any statistics available for scores that students achieved who supplemented Step 2 studying with Kaplan?

Thanks for reaching out. Both High Yield and QBank are edited constantly based questions and comments we receive from students. In addition, QBank questions are independently reviewed. Our goal is by September for all questions to have been reviewed within the last year and to be reviewed annually thereafter. High Yield material is updated in relation to updates to our lecture notes for our live courses. Lecture notes are updated annually. Hope that helps.

For students taking Step 1 after 3rd year, does Kaplan recommend concurrent use of the Step 1 and Step 2 Qbanks? Or should we just use Step 2 throughout the year and take the Step 1 course right before our exam?

Thanks for the question. For the Step 1 exam, the Step 1 QB is sufficient. When done with QB, I would suggest doing an NBME as score predictor. Step 2 QB is designed for the Step 2 exam.

How adequate are your step 3 materials for the new usmle step 3? Are the basic sciences well represented?

Thanks for the question. Our Step 3 courses cover six hours of new online video content comprising of patient safety, population health management, interpretation of medical literature, and medical ethics. Two volumes of lecture notes covering clinical sciences in print. http://www.kaptest.com/medical-prep/usmle/usmle-prep-course/step-3-comprehensive#anywhere
Please email me at [email protected] and I can send you detailed information on our videos and Live online classes.

How many Step 2CK full length exams are included in the package, and have you all looked into how well scores on your practice tests correlate with the real deal? Thanks!

Hello, I like the programs Kaplan offers to medical students for Test-Prep for USMLE. I would like to know if you have any schedule for classroom anywhere starting in JAN 2016, or when will it be available.

Thanks for the question. For the Step 1 exam, the Step 1 QB is sufficient. When done with QB, I would suggest doing an NBME as score predictor. Step 2 QB is designed for the Step 2 exam.
Hello, I like the programs Kaplan offers to medical students for Test-Prep for USMLE. I would like to know if you have any schedule for classroom anywhere starting in JAN 2016, or when will it be available.

Thanks for your question. Is this for Step 1 or 2?

Currently, we do not have statistics on Step 2 CK scores with Kaplan.

We're currently finalizing the schedule for 2016 and will have it posted on our website coming soon. http://www.kaptest.com/medical-prep/usmle/usmle-prep-course/step-1-comprehensive#anywhere
Thanks, another question
I’m writing to you today because I’m currently participating in the Referral Program, the offer that is available 5/1/2015 – 5/31/2015 . Today I received the last email; I referred 50 students of my medical school. So I would like you to kindly give more information about this because I’m interest in using it, if I’m eligible,those $500 for my next test prep program.
If i referred those 50 students of my medical school, that is located in Colombia, would I be eligible for the 10 dollars for each student? How do I redeemed that?

Members don't see this ad :)
How many Step 2CK full length exams are included in the package, and have you all looked into how well scores on your practice tests correlate with the real deal? Thanks!

Thanks for your question. Two full length mock exams for Step 2CK. http://www.kaptest.com/medical-prep/usmle/usmle-prep-course/step-2-ck-comprehensive#anywhere
Accurate correlations in scores can come directly from the NBME. They are the only group that has full access to practice test scores as well as actual exam scores to make an accurate comparison. Every other test prep company would not have accurate information considering they would rely on feedback from students. Hope this helps.
[email protected]

Thanks, another question
I’m writing to you today because I’m currently participating in the Referral Program, the offer that is available 5/1/2015 – 5/31/2015 . Today I received the last email; I referred 50 students of my medical school. So I would like you to kindly give more information about this because I’m interest in using it, if I’m eligible,those $500 for my next test prep program.
If i referred those 50 students of my medical school, that is located in Colombia, would I be eligible for the 10 dollars for each student? How do I redeemed that?

Thanks for taking the time to refer 50 friends! Congrats! Please email me at [email protected] as soon as possible so we can correspond.

Thanks, another question

Please note that all the 50 referred friends would need to submit their information. Once we receive all 5o submissions we will then go ahead and redeem the $500. Let me know if you have any questions - [email protected]

Thanks for taking the time to refer 50 friends! Congrats! Please email me at [email protected] as soon as possible so we can correspond.
Okay, thank you. Each one of them submitted their info in the link. I just sent you an email , With the prove of that. I received for every one of them an email from kaplan that said " thank you for referring a friend!" .

Okay, thank you. Each one of them submitted their info in the link. I just sent you an email , With the prove of that. I received for every one of them an email from kaplan that said " thank you for referring a friend!" .

Great! Thanks for the prompt response. I will be getting back to you shortly. Congrats, once again!
[email protected]

Thanks for your question. Two full length mock exams for Step 2CK. http://www.kaptest.com/medical-prep/usmle/usmle-prep-course/step-2-ck-comprehensive#anywhere
Accurate correlations in scores can come directly from the NBME. They are the only group that has full access to practice test scores as well as actual exam scores to make an accurate comparison. Every other test prep company would not have accurate information considering they would rely on feedback from students. Hope this helps.
[email protected]

For more information on USMLE Score Predictors, please refer to the following blog post:
http://www.residencysecrets.com/2015/04/27/are-usmle-score-predictors-accurate/

Best,
Mary
[email protected]

Im interested in qbank for part 2 dental ,I wanted to know if the ASDA released exams were included in qbank and if you can provide promo code for TEST PREP WEEK 2015! Thanks

Im interested in qbank for part 2 dental ,I wanted to know if the ASDA released exams were included in qbank and if you can provide promo code for TEST PREP WEEK 2015! Thanks

Thanks for your message. Unfortunately Test Prep Week is for USMLE and COMLEX only. We have no current discounts for NBDE.
Best,
Mary
[email protected]

I'm a bit unfamiliar with what you have available for USMLE Step 1. Could you provide a brief summary of what prep materials you have for that exam?

Hey Mary!

First, wanted to say that I loved Step 1 High Yield. Received a great deal from some reps that visited our school and I am so glad that I used the product twice through.

My question is as follows: could you touch on the difference between the Step 3 OnlinePrep and Classroom Anywhere? As an intern I expect I will need flexibility in my study schedule. Both courses state that you get access to 60+ hours of lecture but I was hoping you could really parcel out the differences in the courses. Thanks in advance for your help!

Do the simulated exams and diagnostic test that come with the Step 1 Qbank provide a breakdown of performance by subject area? Also, I see that one of your answers above describes updates to questions and lecture notes, and was wondering if the Step 1 High Yield videos get updated as well.

How long is the step 1 Kaplan course? How soon do you recommend for preparation?

How can I incorporate your books with my studying and First Aid
You will find that our Lecture Notes, especially when used with our pre-recorded videos, provide a strong content foundation for the rest of your review. I also recommend that our students begin there.

Many of our students find that they enjoy using 'First Aid' as a supplemental, high-yield reference (with their Kaplan medEssentials) and/or they will use it to accumulate all of their study notes as they work through their QBank.

Good luck with your studies,
Duane@KaplanMedical

Do the simulated exams and diagnostic test that come with the Step 1 Qbank provide a breakdown of performance by subject area? Also, I see that one of your answers above describes updates to questions and lecture notes, and was wondering if the Step 1 High Yield videos get updated as well..
Yes, when you do the Kaplan Diagnostic and Simulated Exams, you receive a breakdown of your performance by discipline area and by organ system.

And,... Yes, all of our materials, including the High Yield videos, are regularly reviewed by our academic experts and are updated as needed.

All the best,
Duane@KaplanMedical

How long is the step 1 Kaplan course? How soon do you recommend for preparation?
We have Step 1 prep options that run from as little as 1 month to as much as about a year.
It really depends upon what you need individually, and we can help each student to evaluate what will help them the most.

I would suggest you make an appointment with one of our National Medical Advisors for a free advising session.
We can talk about where you are in your prep and find what will work best for you.
You can request an appointment online at KaplanMedical.com

Good luck in your studies,
Duane@KaplanMedical

Hey Mary!

First, wanted to say that I loved Step 1 High Yield. Received a great deal from some reps that visited our school and I am so glad that I used the product twice through.

My question is as follows: could you touch on the difference between the Step 3 OnlinePrep and Classroom Anywhere? As an intern I expect I will need flexibility in my study schedule. Both courses state that you get access to 60+ hours of lecture but I was hoping you could really parcel out the differences in the courses. Thanks in advance for your help!

Thanks for your question! Glad to know that our Step 1 High Yield course was beneficial. The main difference between the Step 3 Online Prep and Classroom Anywhere is that the Step 3 OLP is comprised of On-Demand video lectures - 24/7 with rewind, forward and pause capabilities. The Step 3 Classroom Anywhere is a combination of the above mentioned On-Demand video lectures (3 months) + Interactive Live Online (real time) classes (90 hours) + Step 3 Qbank (3 months).
If you have any further questions please email me at [email protected]

Best Regards,
Mary

Yes, when you do the Kaplan Diagnostic and Simulated Exams, you receive a breakdown of your performance by discipline area and by organ system.

And,... Yes, all of our materials, including the High Yield videos, are regularly reviewed by our academic experts and are updated as needed.

All the best,
Duane@KaplanMedical.

Thanks for the clarification!

I'm a bit unfamiliar with what you have available for USMLE Step 1. Could you provide a brief summary of what prep materials you have for that exam?

Apologies for not getting back to you yesterday. Our USMLE Step 1 courses can be found here: http://www.kaptest.com/medical-prep/usmle/usmle-prep-course/step-1-comprehensive
They include -
~Live Classes (7 weeks, 14 weeks or 16 weeks in one of our Live lecture centers)
~Online video Lectures (3 or 6 months),
~Live Online (14 weeks interactive) classes+Online videos (6 months)+Qbank
~Retreats (accomodation+meals)
~Center based (videos in a Kaplan center for 3, 6, or 9 months)

I would suggest making an appointment with one of our National Medical Advisors who will assist in providing a suitable course. You can email me at [email protected] for further questions.

Best Regards,
Mary Valentine
[email protected]

I'm interested in getting Kaplan QBank. Is there any free trial access to try it for a day or two before buying?

Thanks for reaching out. Both High Yield and QBank are edited constantly based questions and comments we receive from students. In addition, QBank questions are independently reviewed. Our goal is by September for all questions to have been reviewed within the last year and to be reviewed annually thereafter. High Yield material is updated in relation to updates to our lecture notes for our live courses. Lecture notes are updated annually. Hope that helps.

Hi Kaplan, adding onto the previous member's question for clarification along with one more question :

a) For the Step 2CK qbank, when was the last update for these questions? Some have said that they haven't been updated for more than a year or even greater and the concerns being, that CK relies up to date information when reviewing questions. Other competitor question banks repeatedly update their content and just wondering with all the resources Kaplan has, what causes such delays? September is a really long time from now and people have considerations in taking these exams earlier than that.

b) There were a lot of issues with the mobile app development on android for qbanks. I think the last time the app has been ever updated was over 3 years ago and it seems the comments and app itself have never been rectified. I know others have from class have tried contacting about this but no answers were ever given.

c) From a general search here, it also seems a lot of people had issues with the qbank loading consistently without slow load times or unresponsiveness on either google chrome or firefox.

Otherwise, there's no question that your comprehensive lecture and live lecture material is top notch. The questions I had were specifically for qbank and being able to use the information learned from either Kaplan or elsewhere to practice test questions with. Thanks for all the input!

Reactions: 1 user
Hi Kaplan, adding onto the previous member's question for clarification along with one more question :

a) For the Step 2CK qbank, when was the last update for these questions? Some have said that they haven't been updated for more than a year or even greater and the concerns being, that CK relies up to date information when reviewing questions. Other competitor question banks repeatedly update their content and just wondering with all the resources Kaplan has, what causes such delays? September is a really long time from now and people have considerations in taking these exams earlier than that.

b) There were a lot of issues with the mobile app development on android for qbanks. I think the last time the app has been ever updated was over 3 years ago and it seems the comments and app itself have never been rectified. I know others have from class have tried contacting about this but no answers were ever given.

c) From a general search here, it also seems a lot of people had issues with the qbank loading consistently without slow load times or unresponsiveness on either google chrome or firefox.

Otherwise, there's no question that your comprehensive lecture and live lecture material is top notch. The questions I had were specifically for qbank and being able to use the information learned from either Kaplan or elsewhere to practice test questions with. Thanks for all the input!

Hello,

Our questions are updated as needed to make sure they are relevant and accurate for the exam. I can check with our content development team if you would like more information. We did have issues with the Q Bank but we have updated our platform and cleared up the issues that we had been encountering. I will also have to check with the content development team regarding your android mobile app Q Bank so please email me at [email protected] and I will let you know what I find out!

Regards,

Reactions: 1 user
If I purchased a subscription today when would the subscription expire? I just finished my first year and will take the boards in June of 2016. I am in a case based learning curriculum and a few of our second year students said they recommended studying a year before the exam to catch up on material we did not get in lectures.

Could you speak to the effectiveness of the High Yield program for students in a case based learning curriculum? Challenges/successes etc