Terrible 1st PCAT, is OCT too late to apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MegaRave214

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took the PCAT for the first time in November 2015; it was awful. In fact it was awful enough that I do not feel comfortable sharing the results. At that point I had not taken O Chem, Micro, or Calc. I was entirely too eager so I took it without being prepared; though I did study for about a month and took it while in transit(during a military move; husband is military not me). Now, I am finished with all of my pre-reqs except for Physics (taking that now).

I am torn between when I should take the PCAT again. Ideally I would like September 8 PCAT which gives me exactly 4 weeks left to study. My other option would be to prepare for the October 23 PCAT, which gives me 2 months, 1 week, and 5 days to study.

I have been studying since June; but really buckled down late July with trying to be consistent and study daily. I have been shooting for at least 4 hours a day but more often getting between 2-4 hours and very rarely 5 hours.

I have been using the 2015 Dr. Collin's as well as the 2016-2017 Kaplan book. I also have an updated Barron's book that I have yet to look at but plan on using later in my study schedule. I also purchased three pearson practice pcat tests.

I have thus far taken 1 Kaplan practice exam with a composite of about the same as I did on the PCAT the first time I took it; awful (BIO best, MTH, then CHM). I took my first pearson pcat practice exam today; again awful, absolutely cringe-worthy (BIO is best, CHM, then MTH).

I am an awful test taker. I get easily distracted. My problem with the practice exams as well as the real exam is that I go too fast. I skim more than anything and I do not take the time to actually interpret what I am reading.

One last thing: I will be moving in less than two weeks (again a military move). The move itself will take about 3 days and then about two days of unpacking the truck once arrived. I plan on at least trying to go over flashcards that I have been making along the way.

I would love some advice from anyone. Right now I am freaking out. I do not know if I am ready, but am terrified to put it off any longer until October. I plan on applying to Creighton Distance as well as LECOM distance. Pretty much the only ways I can ever go unless I wait another 10 years for my husband to retire. At this point I have all of my letters of recommendations (2 from pharmacists, 1 from a chem professor). I have sent out and requested all of my transcripts and have started to receive them through PharmCAS. I only have left the optional essays for Creighton and a finished version of the personal statement.

I apologize for the length. I just have wanted to go to Pharmacy school for so long. I do not want to mess it up. Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm applying this cycle also and I'm still only polishing up my personal statement. I took the PCAT in July so I can try and help you out there! You definitely have all the materials you need to do well (i.e. the kaplan and pearson). For studying, I followed a post @LatePrePharm made.

My Suggestions for 90+ PCAT

You've already taken some practice tests so you know which sections you need to improve on. Be advised that kaplan is MUCH harder than the actual PCAT so if you do poorly on them (like i did), don't even stress out about them. It is ridiculously hard. I would still advise you try and take it seriously and review each answer you got wrong so you know how to do it better the next time. Pearson gives you a better idea of how hard the test is for all sections besides reading.

You have time, don't stress out too much about it. Study the whole kaplan book but focus mainly on bio chem and math since you don't have a great amount of time left. What I personally did was take notes for each section and did the review questions.

You got this. Also, check out the PCAT forum. They have a ton of helpful tips there. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Luckily for you, LECOM accepts everyone. I wouldn't go there if I were you, creighton is better

Several schools were sending out e-mails begging students to apply well into May last yet. I doubt October is too late.