Terminology for Underserved/Underprivileged

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IdealNFP

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've had the opportunity to shadow at different areas from rural to urban. I was wondering if you could classify something within a big city as being an underserved population? Vast majority of these patients I've come in contact with are elderly, on Medicare/Medicaid, and some live in government housing. They're extremely poor and are in very bad health. There's large hospitals within a 10 mile radius, but does that discount them from being underserved? I would classify them as underprivileged, but not quite sure if they are underserved due to the area.

My other experience at my internship would fall under rural/undeserved/underprivileged due to the fact that it's a nonprofit, that was founded for the undeserved rural minority population of the area. But I'm not quite sure about the urban experiences I've had.

This is mostly so I don't twist my terminology with my resume/CV/essays. I want to be as accurate as possible when describing my experience. Thanks in advance everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Just spoke to a locums staffing our rural underserved ER about this the other day. She said in her experience, underserved constitutes a lack of accessibility to care. She said the perception that people in a large urban town with many hospitals are "underserved" just because these centers are rundown and the people that frequent them are on government aid, doesn't mean they're underserved. But you could definitely spin any experience to say you did serve an underserved area! I don't think there's a set definition.

Reactions: 1 user
This is from Medically Underserved Areas and Populations (MUA/Ps) | Bureau of Health Workforce:

MUPs (medically underserved populations) are specific sub-groups of people living in a defined geographic area with a shortage of primary care health services. These groups may face economic, cultural, or linguistic barriers to health care. Examples include, but are not limited to, those who are:
  • homeless;
  • low-income;
  • Medicaid-eligible;
  • Native American; or
  • migrant farmworkers.
So IMO I would say that yes there are underserved groups within urban areas. I am in Portland and have definitely encountered underserved populations within the city.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the responses everyone! They're very helpful in straightening things out in my head. I don't want to trip over my words as I talk about my experiences so I'd rather gain a better understanding on how to convey them accurately.

Hi there-

HRSA (a division of the US HHS) offers a map of what they have deemed "medically underserved areas/populations". This is how they determine funding for FCQAs and what not. It's totally possible for urban clinics, even those close to a hospital, to be MUA/Ps - 1/4th of my city is a MUA. Also, your urban site may be a HPSA (Health Professional Shortage Area). If you find the clinic you worked for on those maps, maybe it will add credibility to your essays.

Good luck!

Hi there-

HRSA (a division of the US HHS) offers a map of what they have deemed "medically underserved areas/populations". This is how they determine funding for FCQAs and what not. It's totally possible for urban clinics, even those close to a hospital, to be MUA/Ps - 1/4th of my city is a MUA. Also, your urban site may be a HPSA (Health Professional Shortage Area). If you find the clinic you worked for on those maps, maybe it will add credibility to your essays.

Good luck!

Cheers! Thanks for the helpful advice. It makes sense since some of these areas are not in the best shape even though there are world class hospitals that are within 10 miles.