Terminal Leave

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SeminoleFan3

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Planning for next year: can you work at your new job while on terminal leave? Is there any special process you need to go through?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes. No.

I was worried about this, too. Although some places will want a DD214 to employ you, and I'm not entirely sure if you can bill Tricare. I would assume no.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think technically no because you're still in the military until your separation date. However in all practicality yes. I had about 8 weeks of terminal leave. It was closer to 10 weeks when you factored in time for out processing etc. I did some weekends (moonlighting) at my new job during my terminal leave towards my official start date for full time employment. I did not start full time until after my leave was up. I did this primarily because I wanted a bit of a break. Unless you are pressed for cash, take the time off. I was really productive during that time with the move and transition and vacation.

It's been about 10 years but I doubt much has changed. I started working as a contractor at my exact same active duty job. Same Office same chair when I was on terminal leave. As I recall somebody had to approve it but it wasn't a big deal.