Ten Years on SDN

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BLADEMDA

Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is my 10 year anniversary on SDN. 15,000+ posts and a very interesting ten years for the specialty and my career.

1. CRNA encroachment- This was a big issue for me 2007-2010. I'm glad to see the ASA and the younger generation are mostly dealing with issue well. I'd say the AANA progress has been slow but they are advancing bit by bit.

2. Cases/Clinical- This used to be more regular on the forum but I still enjoy reading most anything clinically related. Noyac, Sevoflurane and PGG have been huge contributors to these discussions. Even when we disagree (maybe even especially when we disagree) I typically come away better informed on the subject at hand.

3. Investing- Great subject matter not taught in Residency. My thanks goes out to DOZE who is the man on that topic. I sleep easier these days with a diversified portfolio of ETFs, Mutual Funds (yes, I know), stocks, bonds, cash and precious metals.

4. Politics- I'm a moderate GOP voter but my personal views are very conservative. I've enjoyed the political discussions over the last decade.

5. Management Companies- They were barely a blip on the screen in 2007 and these days they are the elephant in the room. Who knows if they will even exist in 2027.

6. Healthcare reform- It was a mess in 2007 and OBAMACARE didn't fix it. in 2017 the majority of Americans view healthcare as a fundamental right so I expect the public option by 2027.

7. Professionalism on SDN- I appreciate the changes over the past year to make SDN more professional. I certainly include myself in that category of trying to be more professional in 2017.

8. Predictions- I've certainly made my share of predictions in the past. For 2027 my best guess is that it will be a lot harder to do as well financially in Anesthesiology as the previous generation. Lifestyle will take center stage over salary which will likely stagnate as AMCs proliferate or the public option becomes policy.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 17 users
FT_17.01.13_healthCoverage_responsibility.png

Members don't see this ad :)
You will see multispecialty practice groups in the future. More and more.

This is my 10 year anniversary on SDN. 15,000+ posts and a very interesting ten years for the specialty and my career.

1. CRNA encroachment- This was a big issue for me 2007-2010. I'm glad to see the ASA and the younger generation are mostly dealing with issue well. I'd say the AANA progress has been slow but they are advancing bit by bit.

2. Cases/Clinical- This used to be more regular on the forum but I still enjoy reading most anything clinically related. Noyac, Sevoflurane and PGG have been huge contributors to these discussions. Even when we disagree (maybe even especially when we disagree) I typically come away better informed on the subject at hand.

3. Investing- Great subject matter not taught in Residency. My thanks goes out to DOZE who is the man on that topic. I sleep easier these days with a diversified portfolio of ETFs, Mutual Funds (yes, I know), stocks, bonds, cash and precious metals.

4. Politics- I'm a moderate GOP voter but my personal views are very conservative. I've enjoyed the political discussions over the last decade.

5. Management Companies- They were barely a blip on the screen in 2007 and these days they are the elephant in the room. Who knows if they will even exist in 2027.

6. Healthcare reform- It was a mess in 2007 and OBAMACARE didn't fix it. in 2017 the majority of Americans view healthcare as a fundamental right so I expect the public option by 2027.

7. Professionalism on SDN- I appreciate the changes over the past year to make SDN more professional. I certainly include myself in that category of trying to be more professional in 2017.

8. Predictions- I've certainly made my share of predictions in the past. For 2027 my best guess is that it will be a lot harder to do as well financially in Anesthesiology as the previous generation. Lifestyle will take center stage over salary which will likely stagnate as AMCs proliferate or the public option becomes policy.
Thanks for all your contributions!

It seems like 64 percent thought health care was a government responsibility in 2000, which is a bit higher than the 60% who think it is a government responsibility now.

Interesting graph though

Last edited:
Congrats on the milestone! As the resident "non-resident" lurker, I have enjoyed reading your posts over the past 3 years. Jokes and music are missing from your list, Blade; do these now run afoul of #7? Sure hope not...

Many thanks to all for the education, your perspectives and some great laughs.

Last edited:
thank you for helping provide honest and thoughtful commentary to this forum. I have not always agreed with every one of your points, but they were all honestly made.

Much appreciated Blade, you're a legend as far as I'm concerned, a true gentleman and scholar.

Thanks Blade, for all of your contributions.

Now, if we could only get JPP back here.

I just hit 5 years, but if people keep contributing like they do on here, it'll carry me through residency and I'll be at 10 yrs in no time. Thanks Blade. I always appreciate your contributions (as well as those of the other active attendings and residents)