Temple vs Jeff --so conflicted!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nolem91

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys! I know the pros and cons to these schools have been written over and over... however, I am very conflicted and decision time is approaching! I would love your help!!

I think my gut is telling me Temple, but all of my pro/con lists point to Jeff as the better choice (and conversations with doctors in the area, etc) but I still think Temple has something special to offer. Also, I wonder why Jeff has a much higher perceived prestige.... if anyone has thoughts I'd be happy to hear.

My main fear is that I would be putting myself at a disadvantage 4 years from now for choosing Temple and going with a gut feeling?

Temple
+ I think it would give me an edge in terms of clinical training
+ Felt at home/ liked the administration and school environment (feel like they wanted me more bc of scholarship offer)
+ Old curriculum (might?) beat Jeff because it's been tested for years, have access to MS2 resources, slower pace, etc.
+ narrative medicine and urban bioethics program
+ much less expensive and would feel less guilty about $$$
+ divided into colleges of ~30students, and class is already smaller than Jeff
- less time for Step 1 study
- commute (waste ~1.5 hours/day)
- heard negative reviews about rotations being tough, etc..
- students I talk to aren't as psyched to be there (esp. compared to Jeff students)

Jefferson
+ super convenient (close to home, walking distance to almost anything), could stay at school late
+ new curriculum makes more sense for learning (but it's NEW this year)
+ longer step 1 study time
+ more personalized curriculum- mandatory scholarly conc.
+ met wonderful people at second look,
+ students seem really happy
+ better hospitals for rotations (although maybe less hands on experience)
+ great optho and ortho home residencies
- total COA is ~60k extra over 4 years, not so significant in long term, but I would feel guilty about spending $ on a nice meal, clothes etc.. (maybe slightly lower quality of life in that sense?)
- overall less diverse and sort of stuffy
- thought they had a very poor selection of speakers/ professors at second look, felt like an old boys club (but current students raved about certain profs/ faculty)
- seems to place even more people into family medicine than Temple (?)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys! I know the pros and cons to these schools have been written over and over... however, I am very conflicted and decision time is approaching! I would love your help!!

I think my gut is telling me Temple, but all of my pro/con lists point to Jeff as the better choice (and conversations with doctors in the area, etc) but I still think Temple has something special to offer. Also, I wonder why Jeff has a much higher perceived prestige.... if anyone has thoughts I'd be happy to hear.

My main fear is that I would be putting myself at a disadvantage 4 years from now for choosing Temple and going with a gut feeling?

Temple
+ Felt at home/ liked the administration and school environment (feel like they wanted me more bc of scholarship offer)
+ Old curriculum (might?) beat Jeff because it's been tested for years, have access to MS2 resources, slower pace, etc.
- students I talk to aren't as psyched to be there (esp. compared to Jeff students)

Jefferson
+ super convenient (close to home, walking distance to almost anything), could stay at school late
- total COA is ~60k extra over 4 years, not so significant in long term, but I would feel guilty about spending $ on a nice meal, clothes etc.. (maybe slightly lower quality of life in that sense?)
- thought they had a very poor selection of speakers/ professors at second look, felt like an old boys club (but current students raved about certain profs/ faculty)

Temple

Jefferson
I interviewed at both last year, liked Temple but loved SKMC. The atmosphere was a lot more encouraging and it seemed more established. If you're looking at Optho you can't beat Jeff, they're ortho is great too. Having a good home program is important especially if you are trying to specialize. Also, with those specialties you'll be looking at a good salary that will make that $60k seem small. The way I see it, I'd rather regret spending more money than regret maybe not having the best opportunities for my career; but that's just me. Good luck with your decision!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed at both last year, liked Temple but loved SKMC. The atmosphere was a lot more encouraging and it seemed more established. If you're looking at Optho you can't beat Jeff, they're ortho is great too. Having a good home program is important especially if you are trying to specialize. Also, with those specialties you'll be looking at a good salary that will make that $60k seem small. The way I see it, I'd rather regret spending more money than regret maybe not having the best opportunities for my career; but that's just me. Good luck with your decision!

Thank you!!

Just curious, why do you think the commute to Temple would be so bad? Are you living far away? Most students I talked to on interview day said it was 15 minutes each way, max. Good luck in your decision

Reactions: 1 user