Temple University Kornberg School of Dentistry Post-Bac Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For those who interviewed, were there 15 applicants per day?

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using SDN mobile

My group was the first and we had 15. I imagine similar numbers throughout

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
i think this program is a complete cash grab on the universities part! most of the students with thier stats in here are more than capable of recieving acceptances to D school. Id recommend a cheaper option bcuz the debt will be real.
best options is to get higher DAT scores and experience/exposure in the dental field and reapply

Members don't see this ad :)
i think this program is a complete cash grab on the universities part! most of the students with thier stats in here are more than capable of recieving acceptances to D school. Id recommend a cheaper option bcuz the debt will be real.
best options is to get higher DAT scores and experience/exposure in the dental field and reapply
Sure that is fair advice, it is expensive and there are other ways to improve your application. But this program offers the EXPERIENCE that you will get no where else.

-Not many in this country can say that they were able to assist 3rd and 4th years dental students for 6 months. You get to interact with patients, you get to actually see what 3rd and 4th years are capable of, you will see the mistakes they make so that when you are in their spot you will not make the same mistakes, you will see the interaction they have with the faculty in the clinics. Also, we assist in the oral surgery clinic which I'm sure not many have assisted at a dental school as it is a strict environment and only paid and experienced assistants are otherwise allowed.
-We also assist 4th year students on their boards, so we get to know how the exam atmosphere is, because we will all be there one day.
-You will also get a good relationship with the faculty in the clinics as well as the dental faculty members that will teach the lecture courses.
-We learn a lot of the things that D1 will learn, so we will be WAY ahead of the game than other D1's that took a gap year via other methods. We don't have to focus our study time on the dental materials and focus more on the difficult science courses like anatomy and A&P.
-If you do go to Temple, then you will already know ~35 people in the class, so that can get rid of the intimidating factor of not having friends on day 1 in this new environment of dental school.

I mean these are only a few of the many experiences that this program will allow you to come out of. Considering the acceptance rate from this program (85%), it could be one the best ways in the country to assure you acceptance the next cycle of application.

Reactions: 3 users

Students who choose to apply to this program most likely don't have any acceptances.

Do we receive an email regarding acceptance or not? And does anyone have any ideas as to when are we supposed to find out?

Do we receive an email regarding acceptance or not? And does anyone have any ideas as to when are we supposed to find out?
Acceptances were sent out via email last year. Last year, I interviewed March 17 and got accepted April 11th. So starting mid-April you guys should hear back if they remain the same this year.

Acceptances were sent out via email last year. Last year, I interviewed March 17 and got accepted April 11th. So starting mid-April you guys should hear back if they remain the same this year.
Thank you!! I'm excited!

Reactions: 1 users
When was the last interview date for last year?
The last date this year is on the 17th I believe so I don't expect them to send out any before that

When was the last interview date for last year?
The last date this year is on the 17th I believe so I don't expect them to send out any before that
I think it was end of March for last year. Yeah, it may be a bit delayed then.

Sure that is fair advice, it is expensive and there are other ways to improve your application. But this program offers the EXPERIENCE that you will get no where else.

-Not many in this country can say that they were able to assist 3rd and 4th years dental students for 6 months. You get to interact with patients, you get to actually see what 3rd and 4th years are capable of, you will see the mistakes they make so that when you are in their spot you will not make the same mistakes, you will see the interaction they have with the faculty in the clinics. Also, we assist in the oral surgery clinic which I'm sure not many have assisted at a dental school as it is a strict environment and only paid and experienced assistants are otherwise allowed.
-We also assist 4th year students on their boards, so we get to know how the exam atmosphere is, because we will all be there one day.
-You will also get a good relationship with the faculty in the clinics as well as the dental faculty members that will teach the lecture courses.
-We learn a lot of the things that D1 will learn, so we will be WAY ahead of the game than other D1's that took a gap year via other methods. We don't have to focus our study time on the dental materials and focus more on the difficult science courses like anatomy and A&P.
-If you do go to Temple, then you will already know ~35 people in the class, so that can get rid of the intimidating factor of not having friends on day 1 in this new environment of dental school.

I mean these are only a few of the many experiences that this program will allow you to come out of. Considering the acceptance rate from this program (85%), it could be one the best ways in the country to assure you acceptance the next cycle of application.
I completely DISAGREE. If you think that assisting is either difficult to get experience with, fulfilling in any way with students rather than actual practicing dentists, or worth an entire year, you are horribly misguided. The program is for students that could not get in and want to show dedication/improve academic standing. That's it. It's not a hard curriculum at all and the knowledge from it you can gain by working at an office for a few months. There is a reason why dental assistant require literally no education including a HS degree. It's pitifully easy. From my experience, Post-Bacs in no way shape or form preform better than the other D1s. Sure, they aren't taking a gap year, but the students that did got in the NORMAL way and are usually STRONGER students. In my experience, Post-baccs are either around the middle or bottom of the class. They are not "way ahead" of the game, unless you are a post-bacc justifying why you couldn't get in the first time. Post-baccs are "behind the game" and are playing catch up. There literally isn't anything to study for dental materials as its a hilariously easy class. And anatomy isn't even in the same semester....what are you talking about. Lastly, the "intimidation" factor. We aren't children. The class is social af and there are very little barriers for even the shyest students. Lastly, acceptance (at Temple) isn't guaranteed anymore because the program was too easy and everyone with a 3.5 GPA got a seat. If you value your time and money, go work (assist if it really gets you going), and retake DATs after studying a year. You should easily be able to get a 25AA if that's all you work toward. How much more time and money do you want to throw down the drain.

That being said, it may be worth it if you are pitiful in academics, but get ready for a rough ride in dental school.

I completely DISAGREE. If you think that assisting is either difficult to get experience with, fulfilling in any way with students rather than actual practicing dentists, or worth an entire year, you are horribly misguided. The program is for students that could not get in and want to show dedication/improve academic standing. That's it. It's not a hard curriculum at all and the knowledge from it you can gain by working at an office for a few months. There is a reason why dental assistant require literally no education including a HS degree. It's pitifully easy. From my experience, Post-Bacs in no way shape or form preform better than the other D1s. Sure, they aren't taking a gap year, but the students that did got in the NORMAL way and are usually STRONGER students. In my experience, Post-baccs are either around the middle or bottom of the class. They are not "way ahead" of the game, unless you are a post-bacc justifying why you couldn't get in the first time. Post-baccs are "behind the game" and are playing catch up. There literally isn't anything to study for dental materials as its a hilariously easy class. And anatomy isn't even in the same semester....what are you talking about. Lastly, the "intimidation" factor. We aren't children. The class is social af and there are very little barriers for even the shyest students. Lastly, acceptance (at Temple) isn't guaranteed anymore because the program was too easy and everyone with a 3.5 GPA got a seat. If you value your time and money, go work (assist if it really gets you going), and retake DATs after studying a year. You should easily be able to get a 25AA if that's all you work toward. How much more time and money do you want to throw down the drain.

That being said, it may be worth it if you are pitiful in academics, but get ready for a rough ride in dental school.
No assistant that has been working for less than a year can assist at a dental school. The only assistants that are in our clinics are assistants that have years of experience. To be honest, it is a privilege to assist at a dental school. You are getting exposure to the faculty far before any other dental student which will give you face recognition if you do want to specialize with LOR.

I did not say that this program WASN'T to show dedication nor improve academic standing either. I'm saying that this program adds the experience that other programs would not otherwise have. Yeah, you can learn this material from the office, but you get to meet with faculty during office hours and during lecture. For those that might want to specialize, getting this extra face recognition is not a bad option but of course it comes with the price tag of this program.

We are way ahead in terms of the dental knowledge that a typical D1 comes into dental school with is what I had meant. And from last year year's class most of the post-baccs from this year is performing in the top half of the class. Of course this is only a small sample size, but it does show promise.

Yeah, you're right about the social aspect of dental school. But maybe there are students that would have liked to have found someone compatible on day 1 of dental school. I'm sure there are stories in which they did not find the right roommates and had roommate horror stories and to deal with that in conjunction with the stresses of dental school would not be optimal for someone who might want to get all A's and specialize.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I got a hotel @ conwell inn, my interview date is set for the 7th, anyone else interviewing the 7th?

I got a hotel @ conwell inn, my interview date is set for the 7th, anyone else interviewing the 7th?
I stayed at conwell inn last year too! I recommend you go to the food trucks that are on the undergrad campus. Look up Burger Tank and Creperie, they are great!

Reactions: 1 user
I stayed at conwell inn last year too! I recommend you go to the food trucks that are on the undergrad campus. Look up Burger Tank and Creperie, they are great!

Just saw the update in your signature! Congrats on Temple :)

Just saw the update in your signature! Congrats on Temple :)
Thanks! I hope your interview went well and hope to see you next year! :)

No assistant that has been working for less than a year can assist at a dental school. The only assistants that are in our clinics are assistants that have years of experience. To be honest, it is a privilege to assist at a dental school. You are getting exposure to the faculty far before any other dental student which will give you face recognition if you do want to specialize with LOR.

I did not say that this program WASN'T to show dedication nor improve academic standing either. I'm saying that this program adds the experience that other programs would not otherwise have. Yeah, you can learn this material from the office, but you get to meet with faculty during office hours and during lecture. For those that might want to specialize, getting this extra face recognition is not a bad option but of course it comes with the price tag of this program.

We are way ahead in terms of the dental knowledge that a typical D1 comes into dental school with is what I had meant. And from last year year's class most of the post-baccs from this year is performing in the top half of the class. Of course this is only a small sample size, but it does show promise.

Yeah, you're right about the social aspect of dental school. But maybe there are students that would have liked to have found someone compatible on day 1 of dental school. I'm sure there are stories in which they did not find the right roommates and had roommate horror stories and to deal with that in conjunction with the stresses of dental school would not be optimal for someone who might want to get all A's and specialize.
Oh give me a break. "A privilege to assist". The dental clinic is full of students doing shoddy work (because they are learning) and faculty that either have outdated views on dentistry or those that can no longer maintain a private practice. The first thing I did, is bring all my preclinical work to every part-timer to ensure my work is 1) A worthy and 2) Real-life worthy. You are watching students with poor clinical skills attempting to complete warped/unrealistic/outdated clinical goals by faculty. Not too mention, you won't even see CAD/CAM, or CEREC, or CBT tech, or a number of other technologies. They are still placing AMALGAMS preferentially to composites. What is this the 90s? Some schools don't even teach amalgams anymore. You don't need any faculty exposure as you are in the pre-clinic for two years and you get matched with a clinic the last two. If feeling good about "knowing the faculty" if your goal, drop thousands upon thousands. I prefer to go to school, give them my work, let my merit speak for itself and leave with degree in hand. I'm well aware of the assistants in the clinics and I don't value years of experience as its simply not a difficult job. There are what, 20 procedures max that are common and its mostly sucking up saliva.

There are two types of dental school students: Those that are very bright and those that aren't as bright, but work their asses off. If you are the first category and just ****ed up undergrad, Post-Bacc is a cash grab. If you are the second category, strap in and maybe post-Bacc is for you. But remember, you are losing a year of income for study+working, a year of eventual incoming delaying your app, and this program doesn't net you a valuable degree to further your education outside of dentistry such as an MBA or anything to fall back on if you don't succeed in the program.

Oh give me a break. "A privilege to assist". The dental clinic is full of students doing shoddy work (because they are learning) and faculty that either have outdated views on dentistry or those that can no longer maintain a private practice. The first thing I did, is bring all my preclinical work to every part-timer to ensure my work is 1) A worthy and 2) Real-life worthy. You are watching students with poor clinical skills attempting to complete warped/unrealistic/outdated clinical goals by faculty. Not too mention, you won't even see CAD/CAM, or CEREC, or CBT tech, or a number of other technologies. They are still placing AMALGAMS preferentially to composites. What is this the 90s? Some schools don't even teach amalgams anymore. You don't need any faculty exposure as you are in the pre-clinic for two years and you get matched with a clinic the last two. If feeling good about "knowing the faculty" if your goal, drop thousands upon thousands. I prefer to go to school, give them my work, let my merit speak for itself and leave with degree in hand. I'm well aware of the assistants in the clinics and I don't value years of experience as its simply not a difficult job. There are what, 20 procedures max that are common and its mostly sucking up saliva.

There are two types of dental school students: Those that are very bright and those that aren't as bright, but work their asses off. If you are the first category and just ****ed up undergrad, Post-Bacc is a cash grab. If you are the second category, strap in and maybe post-Bacc is for you. But remember, you are losing a year of income for study+working, a year of eventual incoming delaying your app, and this program doesn't net you a valuable degree to further your education outside of dentistry such as an MBA or anything to fall back on if you don't succeed in the program.

Buddy, you mad? No one gives one **** on what you have to say. Just cause you were rejected from Temple and now attending MUSC, you don't have to bash on every little thing about Temple's program

Reactions: 5 users

You know what, I've been sitting here watching this and I just gotta say something. WE GET IT. You don't like the program. For some of us, this is our best option right now. Yeah, I was literally rejected from every dental school I applied to, including Temple. This post-bac, while expensive and can be seen as a "cash grab" (is there anything university-related that isn't a cash grab?), is a really great experience for some of us that have no other option right now. If I am not accepted into this dental post-bac program, I will be forced to do a general science/bio post-bac. Either way, I am spending a year taking classes and raising my GPA and hoping I become a better candidate. Now wouldn't it to smarter, as somebody who wants to be a dentist and wants to be immersed in the dental atmosphere (including dental school) ASAP, to choose Temple's dental post-bac over something else?

I, too, fought with myself over the $40k price tag. I, too, complained to my friends that it's a money-making tool by the university. And maybe it is! But that does NOT take away from all the benefits of this program for people like me. When I went in for the interview, I fell in love with the school, the program, and the people I met. I have no doubt that *if* I get accepted (a big if!), I will enjoy the experience and get a lot of out of it, and although acceptance in dental school is not *guaranteed,* it is still a *much higher* chance of getting in to Temple next year than without the post-bac. That is for certain. I think that's worth it.

So yeah, we get it. Loud and clear. You hate the program. Good thing that's not our problem. There are MANY routes to professional school, and this is one of them. Like all things in life, it works for some and not for others, but it is not your place to turn people off to the idea due to personal bias against the program. Come on, this is supposed to be a supportive environment.

Peace!

Reactions: 13 users

I'm pretty sure there are not many pre-dentals that can say that they assisted dental students. You literally learn from the dental student's mistakes when you are assisting them in clinic, and that is valuable EXPERIENCE that you will get at this program. You are in this program to get a taste of dental school and it will only motivate post bacc students to study even harder, because they are seeing their future of 4 years in front of their eyes, but are still pre-dental students. You are in the environment in which you wish to be the following year. That is not some experience that you can just get by assisting at a private practice or studying at home. Maybe some pre-dental students right now needs that extra motivation.
Like @nasturtium said, we all get it, the price tag is expensive, but why not learn about dentistry during the year in which we will be studying anyways while getting the perks and benefits (that you will get no one in this country) of this program, and getting clinical exposure. It is killing multiple birds with one expensive stone.

Reactions: 2 users

@Buccal_Up I am reading through your posts and I guess my question for you is, why do you care so much about what the individuals here are doing and whether Temple's post bacc is a good program or not. Are you in dental school? I see you are, so why don't you just be grateful you got in, whatever way that was, and stop coming on here and being so negative. I've had a lot of life experience and what I have learned is that there are many paths that lead to the same place. I have to say, there are more than two types of dental students, just like there are many different types of people. You never know what has happened in someone's life that may have delayed or stopped them from being admitted to dental school the first time around. I am also wondering, did you apply to Temple's post bacc and not get in? Is that why you're so bitter? Either way. Good luck with your career and try to keep in mind that this thread was a supportive one until you showed up. Thanks for being the party pooper dude. I say instead of wasting time posting here, you should be studying or doing something more productive with your time. Also, I suggest that if you wanted to give some advice, that you should back up your thoughts with some facts and stats about acceptance rates etc and if you didn't go to Temple's post-bacc, how are you all of a sudden such an expert about what goes on in their school?

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
Hey guys! My interview is coming up and I had a question for those that have already gone through it:

Someone mentioned that at the interview they ask you a question to make sure you know about dentistry. Can someone tell me what kind of questions they ask? Is it something simple or something you might have to think about?

I get really nervous and I'm afraid I'm gonna freeze and not know how to answer.

Thanks in advance :)

Hey guys! My interview is coming up and I had a question for those that have already gone through it:

Someone mentioned that at the interview they ask you a question to make sure you know about dentistry. Can someone tell me what kind of questions they ask? Is it something simple or something you might have to think about?

I get really nervous and I'm afraid I'm gonna freeze and not know how to answer.

Hi! I had my interview early last week, and I don't recall a part where they asked us a question to make sure we know about dentistry...Ms. Nyquist had us all go around and introduce ourselves and where we are from, but she didn't ask us to say anything specific about dentistry. As for the video interview, the question that you are to answer is not dentistry-related (per se) but ethics-related. You will have to answer an ethics-type scenario or situation, it may involve dentistry or it may not, but dental knowledge is not necessary to answer because it's basically a "is this right or wrong and why" type of situation. There is no "right" answer for these types of questions either; it is all about being yourself and being true to who you are - that's what they want to see!

I do know, however, that the dental school applicants are asked their favorite and least favorite dental instrument during their group discussion for their interview, but this was not asked of us, the post-bac applicants. Maybe this is what that somebody was talking about when they mentioned a dentistry question.

Do not be nervous (although I know it's almost impossible not to be)! The day was, in my opinion, quite relaxed. I really enjoyed getting to know the other applicants and I think I made some friends that day!

Oh wow. I thought it was just 5 interview dates and now they extended it to 7....
Well I cancelled mine because I got into my home state post bac program so maybe they had a few more cancellations.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using SDN mobile

Well I cancelled mine because I got into my home state post bac program so maybe they had a few more cancellations.

which date were you originally scheduled for?

And may I ask which school's post bac program you got into?

I will be cancelling my interview for April 14th, I got into dental school. I hope this opens up a spot for one of you!!

Reactions: 4 users
Just to let everyone know they are still handing out interview invites as I got one yesterday. The dates they offered were April 11, 14, 18, 19, and 24. Seems like they added more interview dates so if you are still waiting there might be some hope!

Do you think they will wait until all interviews are over to start notifying people? Giving the accepted less than a month to move out of where we they might be and move to Philly seems extremely unfair.

Do you think they will wait until all interviews are over to start notifying people? Giving the accepted less than a month to move out of where we they might be and move to Philly seems extremely unfair.
I think they will give the first batch of acceptances this week, wait to see who responds and then give more acceptances. I was in the first session, so I hope they do that lol.

Reactions: 3 users
I think they will give the first batch of acceptances this week, wait to see who responds and then give more acceptances. I was in the first session, so I hope they do that lol.
is that what they've done in the past?

is that what they've done in the past?
I believe they were done with interviews like the first week of April last year. Acceptances were give out the week of the 11th. Obviously, it is neither practical for the school nor students if they wait until the second week of May (when all interviews will be done supposedly) to pick all candidates. I am assuming not all accepted will take the offer.

I believe they were done with interviews like the first week of April last year. Acceptances were give out the week of the 11th. Obviously, it is neither practical for the school nor students if they wait until the second week of May (when all interviews will be done supposedly) to pick all candidates. I am assuming not all accepted will take the offer.

I interviewed yesterday and it was such a great experience! I think I goofed during my interview because I completely forgot what I was going to say but hopefully it was okay. Definitely fell in love with the school and the program. But if the last interview date offered is April 24th, that's so long to wait to hear from them! And then orientation is less than a month from that...

Jesus.... how many additional interview dates are they going to add
at this point I wouldn't be surprised if they continued to interview in May

Wow they keep adding dates..
I hope they start giving out acceptances this week. I really don't think I can wait until the beginning of next month.

I interviewed the 28th so I’m not sure if thats considered the first round, although I think it might be because they originally sent that out as the last date to interview and then added a bunch more BUT they told us on my interview that we should be hearing back around the third week in April...so I don’t know if thats changed but thats when they said they were starting to send out

I interviewed the 28th so I’m not sure if thats considered the first round, although I think it might be because they originally sent that out as the last date to interview and then added a bunch more BUT they told us on my interview that we should be hearing back around the third week in April...so I don’t know if thats changed but thats when they said they were starting to send out
They said 2-3 weeks.

I interviewed the 28th too :) They said that? Ahh I don't even remember lol but hopefully that ends up being true!

I interviewed the 28th too :) They said that? Ahh I don't even remember lol but hopefully that ends up being true!

oh wait i totally lied! I interviewed the 30th :) it was a thursday, but yes thats what they told us!

They told us 2nd or 3rd week of April as well and I interviewed on the 16th or 18th I can't remember exactly. I hope they don't wait to make their decisions until all the interviews are done. Fingers crossed and good luck to those who have scheduled interviews or have interviewed already!

Looks like the same thing was said last year.. 2nd or 3rd week of April, and first wave of acceptances? went out on Monday, April 11, 2016.
Hopefully we don't have to wait until all the interviews are done

Good chance today might be the day

Looks like the same thing was said last year.. 2nd or 3rd week of April, and first wave of acceptances? went out on Monday, April 11, 2016.
Hopefully we don't have to wait until all the interviews are done

Good chance today might be the day
That's true. I checked the dates as well lol. 8-9 am on April 11th was the time SaeWat announced his acceptance! However, I don't think they had interviews until the end of April.

Sent from my SM-G900T using SDN mobile

That's true. I checked the dates as well lol. 8-9 am on April 11th was the time SaeWat announced his acceptance! However, I don't think they had interviews until the end of April.

Sent from my SM-G900T using SDN mobile

Interviews last year didn't go this long. To be honest, I highly doubt they'll wait until all interviews are done. If they did, acceptances would go out early May and that's probably not enough time to get the whole class together before May ~25.

I believe there is a reason behind why they only provided applicants who got interviews early on in April with 5 dates to select from.

I hope you're right!

Accepted!!! :) I can't wait to start and meet everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile