Temple University Kornberg School of Dentistry Post-Bac Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What's the schedule like during the three semesters?
Summer is the toughest, because you are taking classes, studying for DAT (for those under 20AA), and studying for the DANB dental assisting licensing exams. Fall becomes more easier, but they add the clinic portions, because at this point you are now dental assistants and will be in the clusters assisting 3rd and 4th year dental students. Spring is by far the most relaxing for those that already have a high GPA, but it can be stressful if you need all A's to get the 3.5, so my suggestion is that you work hard from the beginning and you will be rewarded at the end. We have a lot of random 1-2 hour breaks between our classes throughout the semester so it is hard to say the exact schedule, but usually you will either have a long day 9-5 with breaks in the middle, or days with only clinic which is 3 hours, or days with only classes, which can range from 2 hours a day to like 5 hours a day.

So you will have a lot of free time throughout the semesters, but work hard and don't slack off too much (save that for Spring semester once you got the high GPA and only need like B's to maintain the 3.5).

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Hi everyone! I applied to this program 3/1/17, got my interview invite on 3/6/17, and scheduled my interview on 3/7/17. It took about an hour for me to get a hold of someone to schedule so you guys definitely aren't alone! For people interested in my stats: oGPA: 3.32, sGPA: 3.05, AA 21, PAT 23, RC 25, OC 20, GC 20, BIO 21, and QR 19.

My biggest question about this program is whether students in it now think the cost is worth it, because the course list sounds really awesome to me especially compared to other post baccs I've seen that are lumped together with pre-med students. Do a lot of people take out private loans? Also, where do most students live? I'm not familiar with Philly at all and it's scary that there's such a small time frame between the interviews and the start date.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone! I applied to this program 3/1/17, got my interview invite on 3/6/17, and scheduled my interview on 3/7/17. It took about an hour for me to get a hold of someone to schedule so you guys definitely aren't alone! For people interested in my stats: oGPA: 3.32, sGPA: 3.05, AA 21, PAT 23, RC 25, OC 20, GC 20, BIO 21, and QR 19.

My biggest question about this program is whether students in it now think the cost is worth it, because the course list sounds really awesome to me especially compared to other post baccs I've seen that are lumped together with pre-med students. Do a lot of people take out private loans? Also, where do most students live? I'm not familiar with Philly at all and it's scary that there's such a small time frame between the interviews and the start date.
I think the cost is worth it. It will almost guarantee you the acceptance to dental school if you meet the 3 requirements. 40k is definitely a lot, but the investment is worth it as it will also prepare you as a dental student at the same time while getting experience that no other program in this country offers. A lot of people do take out private loans, because this program is a non-degree earning program so FAFSA will only cover partial.

Most students live in center city which is a bit expensive, so getting roommates is highly recommended. Chinatown is also a popular option. If you have a car, then Manayunk or Roxoborough is the best place to go as it is much cheaper but a 10-15 minute drive to the school. I am currently at YONO (York North) apartments which provides a complimentary shuttle to the dental school so it is door to door service which is nice especially since it is my first time in Philly. The SEPTA (subway) trains are convenient as well so if you do not have a car, this is your option of transportation.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I think the cost is worth it. It will almost guarantee you the acceptance to dental school if you meet the 3 requirements. 40k is definitely a lot, but the investment is worth it as it will also prepare you as a dental student at the same time while getting experience that no other program in this country offers. A lot of people do take out private loans, because this program is a non-degree earning program so FAFSA will only cover partial.

Most students live in center city which is a bit expensive, so getting roommates is highly recommended. Chinatown is also a popular option. If you have a car, then Manayunk or Roxoborough is the best place to go as it is much cheaper but a 10-15 minute drive to the school. I am currently at YONO (York North) apartments which provides a complimentary shuttle to the dental school so it is door to door service which is nice especially since it is my first time in Philly. The SEPTA (subway) trains are convenient as well so if you do not have a car, this is your option of transportation.
Thanks so much for your helpful response! Do you know anything about parking near campus by any chance for someone commuting from those farther areas?

Thanks so much for your helpful response! Do you know anything about parking near campus by any chance for someone commuting from those farther areas?
The email mentioned valet parking at the north entrance of the DS or self parking at the Children's Hospital garage. Both are supposedly ~$12.00. It probably makes sense to do the valet option.

Parking on campus is a tough one. There are limited number of parking passes available to students and the faculty at the garage, so for those that get accepted, during your orientation get a parking pass ASAP before they run out. If they run out you will need to park on the street a couple of blocks away from Broad street which is the main street which is free, but the area is not so nice...

But if you are talking about parking for the interview, then yeah what @amaghsou said, refer to the email.

Anyone that applied March 3rd hear back yet? Did they give out more interviews today?

I think they are almost full
I called in the morning today to schedule my interview and there was only 2 dates left

I think they are almost full
I called in the morning today to schedule my interview and there was only 2 dates left
Oh wow thanks for the info! That's discouraging though I thought the deadline to apply was march 15th so I was expecting there to still be a lot of interview slots open!

Who is interviewing this upcoming Thursday? What should I expect at the interview, I'm slightly nervous.

Who is interviewing this upcoming Thursday? What should I expect at the interview, I'm slightly nervous.
I'll be there to give a tour for you guys! Don't be nervous. It is a video interview, I'm sure as you have read in this thread. You can practice for it infinitely. Don't try to have a script memorized, just have some points and just go off of that. Ethical question is quite long, so pace yourself and then manual dexterity is easy, so you don't have to worry about that at all. You will also have a written portion as you wait for others to go in and interview. Good luck!

I'm interviewing this week on Thursday too! I'm kinda nervous, but I felt much better after reading through this thread. I'm hoping the post about there being less interviews and probably a higher chance to get in is true!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Hey @SaeWat! Do you know what the protocol is in case of snow? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
I do not, sorry! It is snowing a lot Tuesday and Wednesday. If your flight gets cancelled or anything like that, contacting the admissions would be my best bet.

I do not, sorry! It is snowing a lot Tuesday and Wednesday. If your flight gets cancelled or anything like that, contacting the admissions would be my best bet.
Lol yeah, I'm gonna be driving from VA and honestly am afraid because it supposedly is suppose to snow a feet here. I'm sure people coming from the south and west will have a nice welcome to the east :laugh:.

Lol yeah, I'm gonna be driving from VA and honestly am afraid because it supposedly is suppose to snow a feet here. I'm sure people coming from the south and west will have a nice welcome to the east :laugh:.
Ahhh, safe travels! Yeah, I am from Texas and I am still trying to get used to the cold and snow... lol

Hey so I just called the admissions office to double check about the weather (I have a pretty long 6 hour drive in) and the guy I spoke with said they city is already prepping for the snow. He believes tomorrow will be the worst of it and we should be okay to travel on Wednesday and definitely good by Thursday. He really doesn't think there'd be reason to reschedule the interviews!

Hey so I just called the admissions office to double check about the weather (I have a pretty long 6 hour drive in) and the guy I spoke with said they city is already prepping for the snow. He believes tomorrow will be the worst of it and we should be okay to travel on Wednesday and definitely good by Thursday. He really doesn't think there'd be reason to reschedule the interviews!

Awesome! Thank you for calling.

Did anyone get interview invites these days? I'm waiting so patiently but no luck as of yet..

Hi I am preparing for the interview. How are you guys preparing? I read everything on this thread and I want to know more about the interview.

- will there be an administrative person with me in the same room for the video interview?
-how long is the video interview exactly? I want to time it right since I know I have to speak about myself, answer an ethical question, and manual dexterity part.
(I know people said 5-7 min.. but I want to prepared it well)
-Do I have a control to start the video? maybe there is a button or something..??
-can I bring in a small note-card with me?

Gook luck everyone who has an interview tomorrow! Wish you the best!

Last edited:
Hi I am preparing for the interview. How are you guys preparing? I read everything on this thread and I want to know more about the interview.

- will there be an administrative person with me in the same room for the video interview?
-how long is the video interview exactly? I want to time it right since I know I have to speak about myself, answer an ethical question, and manual dexterity part.
-Do I have a control to start the video? maybe there is a button or something..??

It sounds like this is exactly like the interview for dental school. There is an administrative person in the room with you who controls the camera. They also give you an idea of how long you've been talking with a sign.

Reactions: 2 users

-can I bring in a small note-card with me?

1) Yes there will be someone in the same room with you, but he is only there to give you instructions and turn on and off the video camera as well as give you how much time is remaining.
2) Video interview is 6 minutes long. I would recommend 3-4 minutes about yourself, 1-2 minutes for ethical portion and 1 minute for manual dexterity. But this time allocation is up to you.
3) You simply tell the administration person that you are ready and then he will give you the thumbs up and you start.
4) I do not know if you can bring a small note-card with you to the room. I don't think anyone did during my interview, but you can ask before you enter the room.

Good luck!!!

@SaeWat Thank you so much!! all of your replies are so helpful!!

15 of us. Was great! Can't say much because I signed a confidentiality agreement

Hey guys! What does an ethical question mean?

Hey guys! What does an ethical question mean?

You will be given a scenario where you might have an ethical dilemma, and you have to answer how you would handle said situation/scenario.

Did anyone interview this week? How was it?? My interview is on Tuesday! Nervous and excited at the same time!

Did anyone interview this week? How was it?? My interview is on Tuesday! Nervous and excited at the same time!
I am going to interview next Tuesday as well! Really excited about it! Just wondering if Brian still going to host it though

I am going to interview next Tuesday as well! Really excited about it! Just wondering if Brian still going to host it though
What do you mean by hosting it? It will be Ms. Nyquist that will be giving you guys the introduction and lectures about the program mostly. You will occasionally see Brian walking in and out of the admissions room, but it will mainly be Ms. Nyquist.

I'm interviewing on Tuesday as well! Can't wait to meet everyone!

Just wanna confirm that I heard it's okay to bring a notecard with you into the video interview! It's not out of the ordinary or frowned upon...

Edit: Somebody else just said they don't recommend it...

Last edited:
I received an invite to interview. I wanted to know what the process was like. I am currently wait listed at 2 schools so I applied to post bacc programs as a plan B. I know temples program starts in like June but idk if i will have heard back from the schools by then. I really dont know what to do

I received an invite to interview. I wanted to know what the process was like. I am currently wait listed at 2 schools so I applied to post bacc programs as a plan B. I know temples program starts in like June but idk if i will have heard back from the schools by then. I really dont know what to do
If you get accepted to the program, you will have like a month or so to deposit $5,000 that is part of the tuition and is non-refundable. If you get accepted to a school in which you were waitlisted, then you are free to leave the program whenever. There was one student that left in the beginning of summer and another student that left towards the end of summer.

When did you receive the interview invite?

Hey everyone! I was invited for interview and scheduled the date earlier today. I was just wondering about how long after scheduling did you all receive the second email containing information pertaining to the interview? Also, does someone mind telling me what time the interview will start? (Trying to plan ahead in terms of flights haha--of course, I won't schedule til after I get the email, but just wanna take a look). I assume it would be around 8am EST. Thanks in advance!

Hey everyone! I was invited for interview and scheduled the date earlier today. I was just wondering about how long after scheduling did you all receive the second email containing information pertaining to the interview? Also, does someone mind telling me what time the interview will start? (Trying to plan ahead in terms of flights haha--of course, I won't schedule til after I get the email, but just wanna take a look). I assume it would be around 8am EST. Thanks in advance!
The email said to report for the interview at 9:00 and it begins at 9:30. Many people arrived before 9 when I interviewed and we just hung out for 40-60 minutes before it started. Just out of curiosity, when did you schedule your interview for? Our original email said this coming Thursday was the last day for interviews.

The email said to report for the interview at 9:00 and it begins at 9:30. Many people arrived before 9 when I interviewed and we just hung out for 40-60 minutes before it started. Just out of curiosity, when did you schedule your interview for? Our original email said this coming Thursday was the last day for interviews.
i just scheduled mine for April 14th. I wanted this thursday but they said it was full. They only dates on my email was March 28, March 30, April 7 and April 14th

Thanks so much for the info! I'm coming from CA and it's my first time flying, so I'm trying to plan way ahead if I can! I appreciate you giving me more info, and hope your interview went well! Rolltide15 has it correct with the dates above! I scheduled for April 14th. Hope it's not too late in the game with that date.

Oh wow. I thought it was just 5 interview dates and now they extended it to 7....

Thanks so much for the info! I'm coming from CA and it's my first time flying, so I'm trying to plan way ahead if I can! I appreciate you giving me more info, and hope your interview went well! Rolltide15 has it correct with the dates above! I scheduled for April 14th. Hope it's not too late in the game with that date.
Good luck guys! You guys are not late in the game with the last interview date. There are people that got in that interviewed on the last date last year, so you guys are still in the contending!

Hey Everyone, like few people above, I got an interview invite this past Saturday, & got it scheduled for Apr 7th. Any tips? I'm pretty nervous! This is pretty much my plan B & my one shot at getting started with my Dental Career path! Planning on reading through this whole forum and practicing some points for the interview a little each day.

Hey Everyone, like few people above, I got an interview invite this past Saturday, & got it scheduled for Apr 7th. Any tips? I'm pretty nervous! This is pretty much my plan B & my one shot at getting started with my Dental Career path! Planning on reading through this whole forum and practicing some points for the interview a little each day.
Reading through this thread will give you a lot of good info (I would also recommend you read the official Temple Kornberg Post-bacc website too), but if you still have any questions, feel free to PM me :)
Good luck!

For those who interviewed, were there 15 applicants per day?

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using SDN mobile