Temple University Kornberg School of Dentistry Post-Bac Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Accepted!!! Interviewed on the 7th :) So excited!! Is there a facebook group?? Now gotta figure out housing stuff haha

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Wow they really do move quick! Congrats!!!

Thanks @SaeWat for the tour this Tuesday, and for answering all our annoying questions

Members don't see this ad :)
For those that were accepted, how long are they giving you to reply and send in the deposit?

I went in there and talked about what I've been doing since my application was sent in and then I talked about some of my hobbies, interests, goals for my career. So if you have been doing something like volunteer work or shadowing that has been recent and not in your application I'd mention it, but otherwise they already know that. Give them something else to learn about you!
Thank you for your response! I'll be sure to include the things you mentioned.

Sure that is fair advice, it is expensive and there are other ways to improve your application. But this program offers the EXPERIENCE that you will get no where else.

-Not many in this country can say that they were able to assist 3rd and 4th years dental students for 6 months. You get to interact with patients, you get to actually see what 3rd and 4th years are capable of, you will see the mistakes they make so that when you are in their spot you will not make the same mistakes, you will see the interaction they have with the faculty in the clinics. Also, we assist in the oral surgery clinic which I'm sure not many have assisted at a dental school as it is a strict environment and only paid and experienced assistants are otherwise allowed.
-We also assist 4th year students on their boards, so we get to know how the exam atmosphere is, because we will all be there one day.
-You will also get a good relationship with the faculty in the clinics as well as the dental faculty members that will teach the lecture courses.
-We learn a lot of the things that D1 will learn, so we will be WAY ahead of the game than other D1's that took a gap year via other methods. We don't have to focus our study time on the dental materials and focus more on the difficult science courses like anatomy and A&P.
-If you do go to Temple, then you will already know ~35 people in the class, so that can get rid of the intimidating factor of not having friends on day 1 in this new environment of dental school.

I mean these are only a few of the many experiences that this program will allow you to come out of. Considering the acceptance rate from this program (85%), it could be one the best ways in the country to assure you acceptance the next cycle of application.

I'm still reading this thread and haven't caught up yet, but I saw this post of yours and immediately took a break from reading because I want to tell you that I LOVE your excitement towards dentistry and your views towards learning in general. Your passion for the field is contagious and is coming across throughout your posts.

Keep it up!

Reactions: 5 users
I'm still reading this thread and haven't caught up yet, but I saw this post of yours and immediately took a break from reading because I want to tell you that I LOVE your excitement towards dentistry and your views towards learning in general. Your passion for the field is contagious and is coming across throughout your posts.

Keep it up!
Thanks! :) Yeah this program has made me fall in love with dentistry even more and I hope that those that will be in this program next year will experience the same thing and really appreciate the field of dentistry.

Reactions: 3 users
Thanks! :) Yeah this program has made me fall in love with dentistry even more and I hope that those that will be in this program next year will experience the same thing and really appreciate the field of dentistry.
I agree! The clinical experiences from this program will certainly easy your way while you in dental school too. Of course, learning how to do all the procedures, lab works, and dialectic part of dentistry will be difficult but at least you won't be feeling as overwhelming as other students.

Reactions: 1 user
For those who have got the acceptance, how long did it take until you get the instruction email for deposit. I haven't gotten mine since Friday

Does anyone here know the date when the Post-Bac Program starts for 2017?

Members don't see this ad :)
For those who have got the acceptance, how long did it take until you get the instruction email for deposit. I haven't gotten mine since Friday

I believe I got mine the same day I got my acceptance email and I had a week to get my deposit in.

Just mailed in my deposit. Now time to look for housing.

Where are you getting this information?! Do you know if they sent out acceptances for people who interviewed a week ago?
I'm just assuming haha There must be a reason why Ms. Nyqust ran an interview last Wednesday..

There's suppose to be another one tomorrow, but after seeing that many people in the FB group....
i thought you can only join after paying the deposit?
You dont need to pay the deposit to join I think.

If so, then who is in charged of the group? Can I get an invitation?
didnt you pay the deposit and get an email about the facebook group page? There should be a link in the email

didnt you pay the deposit and get an email about the facebook group page? There should be a link in the email
Ya, I paid my deposit. They told me I should get my confirmation letter this coming week.

Has anyone who interviewed April 12 or later heard anything? Accepted or denied??

Called today, May 2nd to check status. Class is full. They are sending out an email to let people know this.

Hi guys, if you don't mind sharing, can you tell me what your gpa and DAT scores were when you got the offer for post bacc interviews? Or when you got accepted?

Thanks!

Called today, May 2nd to check status. Class is full. They are sending out an email to let people know this.
Thanks for letting us know! I wish they could send out the email soon just so I have that definite update in my hands haha :\

Hi guys, if you don't mind sharing, can you tell me what your gpa and DAT scores were when you got the offer for post bacc interviews? Or when you got accepted?

Thanks!

3.3 oGPA 3.2 sGPA undergrad and then a 3.58 biomedical science masters GPA. DAT 20AA

It's getting harder and harder to get accepted to dental school but you gotta keep trying!

Reactions: 1 users
hey i have my interview tomorrow, so we basically have 6 minutes timed to answer one question that they give us?
is the question just why we want to be a dentist?

hey i have my interview tomorrow, so we basically have 6 minutes timed to answer one question that they give us?
is the question just why we want to be a dentist?
**************The interview process has changed a bit since last year and the beginning of when this thread was made. So many of the previous posts may not be accurate (I posted a lot and so I'm just warning everyone who visits this thread in the future so they don't bash on me lol) *****************************

With that being said, I would suggest you find someone who recently interviewed for the latest information, but it is not 6 minutes for a single question. I believe that you actually have someone with you in front of the camera and converse together. The conversing and the answering the question is what should be completed in the 6 minutes.

yeah so update on the interview:
it was really aweful lol
It was recorded but their is someone in their to keep asking you questions, but there was just not enough time to answer them, and I kept getting asked more questions before I could finish my initial response
I really doubt I will get accepted after this interview tbh

has anyone interviewed yet or is interviewing soon?

Hey!

I just interviewed for this program on March 5th. I was wondering if anyone could confirm how many spots they have in the program this year. On their website it says "minimum of 40 students" and during the interview, I think I remember them saying there are 60 spots this year.

I was also wondering if anyone knows how many people got invited to interview this year. This year they had three interview days: March 5th, March 6th, and March 12th. My interview was on March 5th and there were about 27 people in our group. For anyone who interviewed on the 6th or 12th, how many people were in your groups?

Hey!

I just interviewed for this program on March 5th. I was wondering if anyone could confirm how many spots they have in the program this year. On their website it says "minimum of 40 students" and during the interview, I think I remember them saying there are 60 spots this year.

I was also wondering if anyone knows how many people got invited to interview this year. This year they had three interview days: March 5th, March 6th, and March 12th. My interview was on March 5th and there were about 27 people in our group. For anyone who interviewed on the 6th or 12th, how many people were in your groups?

Hey could you please tell me how the interview went? and which question they asked?

Hey could you please tell me how the interview went? and which question they asked?
The interview was short and easy. Very basic questions. I don't think I'm allowed to tell you the exact questions though. Just know why you're interested in dentistry and why you're interested in their school. Prepare for a broad range of basic interview questions and you will be fine.

Because this thread isn't updated and I know when I was deciding I couldn't find information here is my take on this program (which I am currently a part of). The goal of the program is to make your application stronger for the next cycle. They say getting a certain GPA and DAT score can 'guarantee' acceptance into their program, which is not necessarily true however I know myself and most of my classmates have gotten interviews and acceptances to other schools because of this program. You take dental classes which will be helpful in dental school, and get to assist students and doctors in the main clinic and all specialities. Schools also get a higher gpa from you if your undergrad wasn't strong and better yet see how you would do in a dental school curriculum. Assisting I think is great, especially if you have no experience, because you see how a school operates, learn the procedures, get feedback from students and being in a clinic and all the specialities gives you perspective beyond shadowing, and you also assist with Boards and see how that works. For me the program was my only choice since I didn't get in anywhere else, I have assisting experience, but needed a great gpa and resume booster. While you may hear valid complaints of the politics of the school and even though there are things I didn't like about the program, it did do its job in getting me into schools. Personally I decided if I was taking another year to apply this was the best option for me.

Reactions: 2 users
Because this thread isn't updated and I know when I was deciding I couldn't find information here is my take on this program (which I am currently a part of). The goal of the program is to make your application stronger for the next cycle. They say getting a certain GPA and DAT score can 'guarantee' acceptance into their program, which is not necessarily true however I know myself and most of my classmates have gotten interviews and acceptances to other schools because of this program. You take dental classes which will be helpful in dental school, and get to assist students and doctors in the main clinic and all specialities. Schools also get a higher gpa from you if your undergrad wasn't strong and better yet see how you would do in a dental school curriculum. Assisting I think is great, especially if you have no experience, because you see how a school operates, learn the procedures, get feedback from students and being in a clinic and all the specialities gives you perspective beyond shadowing, and you also assist with Boards and see how that works. For me the program was my only choice since I didn't get in anywhere else, I have assisting experience, but needed a great gpa and resume booster. While you may hear valid complaints of the politics of the school and even though there are things I didn't like about the program, it did do its job in getting me into schools. Personally I decided if I was taking another year to apply this was the best option for me.

How big is the class size and how many accepted to Temple' DMD 2024 class?

Hey thanks for the information! I’m interviewing for this program soon for the 2020-2021 cycle. gonna blast you with some questions if you don’t mind.

Would you happen to know the total cost of attendance for the program? Tuition (41,600?), including housing and rough estimate of other living costs. I’m from out of state.

What are some advice on the interview?
Did you take out loans? If so, were you able to take out enough to pay CoA?
I have more questions but I don’t want to burden you with so many - I just thought I’d ask since you’re right there’s not a lot of other recent information for us new applicants.
Thanks!

Hey thanks for the information! I’m interviewing for this program soon for the 2020-2021 cycle. gonna blast you with some questions if you don’t mind.

Would you happen to know the total cost of attendance for the program? Tuition (41,600?), including housing and rough estimate of other living costs. I’m from out of state.

What are some advice on the interview?
Did you take out loans? If so, were you able to take out enough to pay CoA?
I have more questions but I don’t want to burden you with so many - I just thought I’d ask since you’re right there’s not a lot of other recent information for us new applicants.
Thanks!
No problems, feel free to message me I have a lotta of info! It is definitely an investment, the program was around 42K with another 20K for living. Most students took used some financial aid loans and then private loan (they do give you some loan advice during the interview). I had no debt coming in and was able to pay about 50/50 out of pocket and private loans. It is a lot of $$ but it was the choice for me to be able to get into dental school. The interview was at the end of the day after a program overview and tour. Unless they changed it mine was recorded so that the committee can view the video but it was one on one and I believe it was open file but questions asked were more general like tell me about a time you had to resolve a conflict or whats an assumption people had about you, along with one ethical question. They may ask about an experience on your app but not really courses or stats because they know maybe one of the reasons you are there is because your DAT or GPA or experiences may not have been as strong and that the goal of the program is to boost your application. It wasn't conversational but it wasn't an interrogation. Also heard they may add a easy dexterity task since they started doing this for their dental school interviews.

And do interviewers tend to bring their belongings with them, if they plan to leave to airport right after interview day?

And do interviewers tend to bring their belongings with them, if they plan to leave to airport right after interview day?
Personally I did and left it behind the front reception desk but most people did not bring their belongings with them.

Does anybody know how many interview days they are doing this year? I interviewed last Thursday and was wondering how many other people they're interviewing.

The class size is 65 and as of right now only about 12-15 people got into the 2024 class for temple, that may change.

Wow, that number has really dropped. My son, 3.8 GPA, and DAT 21 still hasn't been accepted to a Dental School. Which is perplexing.
He was invited to interview, but after reading this, I was thinking it may not help him, especially with the price.

If the Dental School acceptance rate has dropped dramatically, then this program seems much harder to justify.

Wow, that number has really dropped. My son, 3.8 GPA, and DAT 21 still hasn't been accepted to a Dental School. Which is perplexing.
He was invited to interview, but after reading this, I was thinking it may not help him, especially with the price.

If the Dental School acceptance rate has dropped dramatically, then this program seems much harder to justify.
He should definitely take the interview and then decide. Personally this program was the best fit for me since it was dental oriented and my last hope, while it has its cons it also has pros. I think every person has to really reflect on their goals, financial situation, and options and decide for themselves!

Hello!

I got an interview invite and I was just wondering what it is like? I'm a bit nervous.
Also, what is housing like for Post-Bacc (if there is even any)?

Thanks!!

He should definitely take the interview and then decide. Personally this program was the best fit for me since it was dental oriented and my last hope, while it has its cons it also has pros. I think every person has to really reflect on their goals, financial situation, and options and decide for themselves!
Thank you for your tips! I made it in. I just hope COVID-19 doesn't affect the program. ~knock on wood~

• Love
Reactions: 1 users