Temple Post-Bacc ACMS 2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rogue42

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, this thread is for the 2017-18 application for the 2018 entering class. I did not see one already here, and since the application opens in just a month and a half i figured I would get an early start! Good luck to all applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Do you/anyone know what the conditional requirements are after getting into AMCS and for getting into the med school? The website is vague about it, and elsewhere on SDN I see a 30+ mcat. I would be applying to the program with a 515 and don't have to retake it, so is there a minimum GPA requirement during the program as well?

Do you/anyone know what the conditional requirements are after getting into AMCS and for getting into the med school? The website is vague about it, and elsewhere on SDN I see a 30+ mcat. I would be applying to the program with a 515 and don't have to retake it, so is there a minimum GPA requirement during the program as well?

Yes! I'm pretty positive - like 99.9% - that you must maintain a minimum of a 3.6 gpa to get admitted into the medical school from the program.

If you don't mind me asking, with a MCAT that high why aren't you applying to regular MD admissions?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes! I'm pretty positive - like 99.9% - that you must maintain a minimum of a 3.6 gpa to get admitted into the medical school from the program.

If you don't mind me asking, with a MCAT that high why aren't you applying to regular MD admissions?

Ah ok, thanks!

I have ~3.4 gpa and 3.0 sgpa. I'm applying this cycle but am preparing for no acceptances after getting a D in Orgo II twice- most recently over the summer which was an awful decision as the entire semester took place over only 4.5 weeks.

Reactions: 1 user
Ah ok, thanks!

I have ~3.4 gpa and 3.0 sgpa. I'm applying this cycle but am preparing for no acceptances after getting a D in Orgo II twice- most recently over the summer which was an awful decision as the entire semester took place over only 4.5 weeks.

I think your gpa will hurt you but MCAT will help. Apply to your state schools and you might be okay!

I'm planning on applying as well! Anyone else mind sharing stats or stats of anything they know that's gotten accepted? Currently working with a 3.7 cGPA 3.64 sGPA. I know the MCAT is not a requirement but it certainly helps a ton.

I'm working with a 3.57 cGPA and a 3.4 sGPA. I have not taken the MCAT and was hoping a GRE would suffice

aasen002 are you applying traditionally as well? I am not 100% sure, but I am fairly certain they will screen out applicants who should be able to apply traditionally. If you had a great MCAT, you should be applying directly to Temple's med school. I can't imagine anyone recommending that you need a postbac program unless your situation is very unique.

Edit:
For others, they have an average of 3.4/3.4 sgpa/cgpa that is listed on their website. When I called to ask, they said people can have lower stats.
You need a 3.6 in the program and I believe an MCAT score that is >70th percentile. That's what I saw a couple months ago, but I can't find their MCAT requirement anymore.

Last edited:
aasen002 are you applying traditionally as well? I am not 100% sure, but I am fairly certain they will screen out applicants who should be able to apply traditionally. If you had a great MCAT, you should be applying directly to Temple's med school. I can't imagine anyone recommending that you need a postbac program unless your situation is very unique.

Edit:
For others, they have an average of 3.4/3.4 sgpa/cgpa that is listed on their website. When I called to ask, they said people can have lower stats.
You need a 3.6 in the program and I believe an MCAT score that is >70th percentile. That's what I saw a couple months ago, but I can't find their MCAT requirement anymore.

You are correct! Im pretty sure its 3.6 gpa and 70 percentile on the MCAT with no subsection lower than a 65 percentile

I hadn't really decided yet in terms of applying traditionally as well. I was planning to apply to the post-bacc. as kind of a backup in case I had horrible luck my regular application to schools.
yeah, definitely still apply because I don't have all the answers, it was just something I thought I read somewhere but I could very easily be wrong.

You are correct! Im pretty sure its 3.6 gpa and 70 percentile on the MCAT with no subsection lower than a 65 percentile
I thought it was no lower than 50% on any MCAT subsection? Look it up on the aamc postbac page

I thought it was no lower than 50% on any MCAT subsection? Look it up on the aamc postbac page

According to Temple's Lewis Kratz School of Medicine Post-Bacc internet page, their requirements are actually a 75th% MCAT with no subsection lower than a 60%.

Reactions: 1 users
May I ask how you studied for the MCAT? What resources or test prep did you use? Your score is really good and I have a similar gpa/sgpa as you.

May I ask how you studied for the MCAT? What resources or test prep did you use? Your score is really good and I have a similar gpa/sgpa as you.

I actually took the MCAT after sophomore year. I went home and worked on this start-up remotely, and studied full-time. Used Berkeley for practice questions, ExamKrackers for content review. Took 1 practice exam every Friday, reviewed what I got wrong on Saturday. I found the NextStep exams to be most representative of difficulty of the MCAT as well. I really hurt my application with my awful Junior Year, so I'm really hoping to get this second chance.

Members don't see this ad :)
I actually took the MCAT after sophomore year. I went home and worked on this start-up remotely, and studied full-time. Used Berkeley for practice questions, ExamKrackers for content review. Took 1 practice exam every Friday, reviewed what I got wrong on Saturday. I found the NextStep exams to be most representative of difficulty of the MCAT as well. I really hurt my application with my awful Junior Year, so I'm really hoping to get this second chance.
Thank you so much for your insight! I hope you get your second chance!

does anyone know stats of people who get in? What is considered a high MCAT, etc? Thank you

Does anyone know who to contact for questions? I emailed the person at the contract us email address they listed , but no response

Does anyone know who to contact for questions? I emailed the person at the contract us email address they listed , but no response
I emailed them yesterday and received a response this morning. Yesterday I also tried calling them at various times of the day but they never picked up.

Hey Guys,

So I am going to be applying pretty soon and was trying to get a general idea of how many people apply to the program and how soon applications get sent out? I heard they accept about anywhere from 25-30 applicants so I was curious to see how competitive this program really is

also, for those of you applying already and don't mind sharing stats, how many experiences do you have down? I have 9 and am a little nervous of that really weakening my application. Any feedback would be great, thanks!

Last edited:
What are the average and minimum stats to get into ACMS?

Does anyone know if the classes you take in the ACMS count toward your med school credits if/when you get into LKSOM? Or do you have to repeat those classes over again?

Does anyone know if the classes you take in the ACMS count toward your med school credits if/when you get into LKSOM? Or do you have to repeat those classes over again?

They count if you make a B or better in the course; however, you ares still required to be a full-time medical student so you are required to take "extra" classes to be full time. Unfortunately, I am not sure what those classes are.

Hi everyone, hope 2018 is off to a great start! Just a quick question regarding the application---I see that a lot of the questions (15 activities, why LKSOM, etc) on the ACMS application are identical to those on the AMCAS and the LKSOM supplemental app (both of which I already submitted). Does anyone know if it's expected for us to simply copy-paste, or re-write? Tried calling the office a few times but no one picked up

Hey, has anyone submitted yet? I'm currently debating when to apply....

Anyone want to share and comment on stats?
I have a 3.3 GPA, 2.9 sGPA. 515 MCAT, top 10 school. Downward trend over the last year due to health issues is my biggest red flag (many bad grades, fell from 3.6 and 3.3 respectively).

I'm debating whether to apply early in January, or mid-May after receiving my grades for the upcoming Spring Semester. I'm only taking 2 elective classes (both science), so best case I may be able to raise my sGPA to 2.95. Not sure if I'll receive an interview with some of the recent grades on my transcript, even if I try to explain them in my essay. Maybe the MCAT will help me?

I called earlier in January, and they said they would be sending interview invites for the ACMS program at the end of the month. Has anyone heard back yet?
Around what time did you call? I've been trying to reach the admissions via email/phone but have not gotten a reply/call back in two weeks. Wondering if I've been calling too early/too late in the day.

@Tennisgames are you sure that they meant ACMS? or BCMS? Usually Temple is not known to start giving out II for ACMS until ~March/April, I believe

Do you think waiting to apply in middle of March is too late for serious consideration or is that when they normally get a large influx of apps then?

@Tennisgames I don't really know either way lol you might be right! I was just off trends from previous years, but I'm think Temple is pretty erratic with these things overall tbh

Hi guys,

So I took the MCAT twice and when i took it the first time i got a 511 but my bio was a 123. Second time i took it i got a 509 and all my subsections scores were above the 126 mark. But based off of what you guys were saying, does this mean I shouldn't apply cuz post-bacc doesn't want students w/ a subsection score below 126 or do they only look at the most recent score?
upload_2018-2-9_13-5-56.png

Hi guys,

So I took the MCAT twice and when i took it the first time i got a 511 but my bio was a 123. Second time i took it i got a 509 and all my subsections scores were above the 126 mark. But based off of what you guys were saying, does this mean I shouldn't apply cuz post-bacc doesn't want students w/ a subsection score below 126 or do they only look at the most recent score?
View attachment 229121
I would suggest emailing them with your question. Also, PM and I can tell you what they told me when I asked in my particular case.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just submitted! IS, 3.3 GPA, 514 MCAT. Lots of research and volunteer experience in the North Philadelphia area. Hope I didn't submit too late!

Hi guys,

View attachment 229121
You're fine

Do you think waiting to apply in middle of March is too late for serious consideration or is that when they normally get a large influx of apps then?
Mid March is ok, however, earlier is always better. If you can apply earlier, do it, but don't sacrifice the quality of your application. Put your best foot forward

They count if you make a B or better in the course; however, you ares still required to be a full-time medical student so you are required to take "extra" classes to be full time. Unfortunately, I am not sure what those classes are.
I don't know if this used to be the case when the program first started, but this is definitely not the case anymore and hasn't been for the while

Hi all,
I know some dates have been thrown around earlier in this thread... but does anyone new to (or anyone else) the thread have any idea on potential dates interview invites may start to be sent? Or perhaps if anyone has received one yet? When I've spoke with individual(s) on the adcom, I have been told late-January at one point and April at another.
Thanks
I called this week and they said interview invites will go out by mid-March. Seems to be different based on the person you talk to.

Last edited:
Apologies for the double post -- has anyone received a "complete" email? My app. is marked complete on Temple's portal, but I never received an email. I submitted back in October and allowed materials to be transferred from my AMCAS application (LORs, transcripts, etc.).
No email. The application portal will say complete.

I called earlier in January, and they said they would be sending interview invites for the ACMS program at the end of the month. Has anyone heard back yet?
I have! I have an interview March 15th, found out February 12th! Good luck everyone!

THANk you!!! And Sure! 3.4 GPA and 486 MCAT - horrible hence the post bac.
I lived in Peru a few summers ago to shadow docs in clinics and hospitals and to learn Spanish, then I did a mission trip in Guatemala and this year I was in Haiti both about 2 weeks long. In school I shadow a neurosurgeon in the OR. & am in a lot of clubs. That’s about it on my end.

Did anyone have trouble submitting ACMS application? Mine kept saying the deadline is Jan 15th, 2018, which is their MD application deadline... I triple checked the website and it says June for ACMS.

I emailed admissions and is hoping to hear back.

Did anyone have trouble submitting ACMS application? Mine kept saying the deadline is Jan 15th, 2018, which is their MD application deadline... I triple checked the website and it says June for ACMS.

I emailed admissions and is hoping to hear back.
I submitted on Jan 17, so the deadline for sure is not Jan 15. I'm not sure if that helps.

I submitted on Jan 17, so the deadline for sure is not Jan 15. I'm not sure if that helps.
Yes it does! Just to know that I didn't somehow miss the deadline. Hahaha I almost had a mini heart attack when I saw that...