TDY for Residency Interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SRB7211

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm applying in the military match this year as a GMO and wondering about travel for interviews. Has anyone had luck getting funded TDY orders for residency interviews? I'm definitely leaning towards that not being a possibility. I expect permissive TDY may be possible, but my unit seems to think there is no reason I shouldn't get funded TDY.

Any input on travel for residency interviews from the field would be appreciated. Does it make a difference anyone to go in person vs phone/VTC?

Members don't see this ad.

Funding would come from your command and some have certainly been able to get funding in the past, but it's not universal.

The thoughts on travel vs phone are going to be highly dependent on your desired specialty. IM....you could probably phone it in. Radiology/Derm/etc...you're probably going to want to show up in person and maybe for more than one day depending on expectations.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Funding would come from your command and some have certainly been able to get funding in the past, but it's not universal.

The thoughts on travel vs phone are going to be highly dependent on your desired specialty. IM....you could probably phone it in. Radiology/Derm/etc...you're probably going to want to show up in person and maybe for more than one day depending on expectations.

Thanks! My Command seems to be just very confused then. They told me I needed to contact Branch manager, who proceeded to tell me to talk to GME.

I was thinking in person would be better, just because I had applied a different specialty previously and have had minimal contact with the programs except emails with PDs. When I applied last time they stressed it was okay to just do phone interviews, but I was OCONUS.

The "phone interviews are ok" is going to be the official line out of everyone, and they certainly are for folks who are OCONUS/Deployed/etc, but for some specialties nothing beats showing up in person if there is no great reason not to. If your specialty is in multiple locations you likely don't have to go to all the locations, but 2 of 3 or 1 of 2, etc would probably be sufficient.

As to funding...there are no central funds for this. Can you imagine the cost that would be associated with funding every Tom, Dick, and Jane to go to interviews.

If you have had minimal interaction with the specialty in which you intend to apply I highly recommend going in person and if able at your location to start spending some time with the local XYZologist for your specialty. If it's at all competitive they're going to wonder why you didn't spend some time with that person (if one of exists near you).