This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

riderfirnen

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a sophomore in high school, and I'm hoping to major in neuroscience as an undergraduate and hopefully, someday, I'd like to become a neurosurgeon. I was just recently diagnosed with type 1 diabetes and I wanted to get a medical alert tattoo on my wrist. Could this be a problem for me in the future? Obviously tattoos are frowned upon but I feel like if it's a medical alert tattoo it could be different?

Members don't see this ad.

There's a neurosurgery forum. This is the neurology forum. The first step to your career will be learning the difference.

Reactions: 1 users
There's a neurosurgery forum. This is the neurology forum. The first step to your career will be learning the difference.
I looked for a neurosurgery forum and a neuroscience forum but couldn't find either. I already know the difference but thanks for the sarcasm anyway.

Members don't see this ad :)
1. This is not the neurosurgery forum
2. http://health.usnews.com/health-new...to-know-before-getting-a-medical-alert-tattoo
3. If you do get one, don't use it as an opportunity to get a full forearm caduceus -- a brief google image search returns many examples that a) look more like a convenient excuse to get inked, and b) stand little to no chance of being recognized as a medical alert by a first responder

Tons of my young trauma patients have tattoos. I don't spend a lot of the golden hour poring over them to figure out whether the cute elephant holding up a sign that says "O-" is a reliable indicator of their blood type.

Reactions: 1 users
1. This is not the neurosurgery forum
2. http://health.usnews.com/health-new...to-know-before-getting-a-medical-alert-tattoo
3. If you do get one, don't use it as an opportunity to get a full forearm caduceus -- a brief google image search returns many examples that a) look more like a convenient excuse to get inked, and b) stand little to no chance of being recognized as a medical alert by a first responder

Tons of my young trauma patients have tattoos. I don't spend a lot of the golden hour poring over them to figure out whether the cute elephant holding up a sign that says "O-" is a reliable indicator of their blood type.
Again, I know that this isn't a neurosurgery forum I couldn't find one, this was the closest. Thank you for your imput, I may reconsider getting one now.

I looked for a neurosurgery forum and a neuroscience forum but couldn't find either. I already know the difference but thanks for the sarcasm anyway.
Scratch that. The first step to your career as a neurosurgeon will be to self-flagellate until your skin roughly quadruples in thickness in order to give yourself a fighting shot of surviving day 1 of residency. I recommend the self-flagellators at Sharper Image.

Reactions: 2 users
Traditionally, it's L-O-V-E on the right hand knuckles and H-A-T-E on the left hand knuckles. (Mitchum R, "Night of the Hunter", Journal of Cool Movies, 1954)

Reactions: 1 user
I was just recently diagnosed with type 1 diabetes and I wanted to get a medical alert tattoo on my wrist.

If you are unconscious, most of those that would treat you would likely not pay any attention to or let alone hunt for a tattoo.

In fact, recently while out dining, a patron went unconscious, ABC's saved his life, not looking for a tattoo ;>)