Tattoos and Tattoo Removal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drlove4

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Seems like a huge derm market for years to come. Discussed this with a peer this week, he was of the opinion that laser removal posed more long-term effects than letting the tattoo stay. What is the scientific consensus on this among dermatologists? (this is not health advice, I'm interested in the non-cosmetic prospective of tattoo effects on the body).

Members don't see this ad.

Seems like a huge derm market for years to come. Discussed this with a peer this week, he was of the opinion that laser removal posed more long-term effects than letting the tattoo stay. What is the scientific consensus on this among dermatologists? (this is not health advice, I'm interested in the non-cosmetic prospective of tattoo effects on the body).

I am unaware what the issue of long term effects of removal are. People can develop ACD or even anaphylaxis from tattoo removal, although this is uncommon.

The bigger issue is that in some states non-physicians can operate lasers. If one practices in such a state, given the cost of having at least a Q-switched ND:YAG and alex, the cost may not be worth it if the volume will be low.

No one here is informed on the long term effects of tattoos? Seems like dermatologists would be on top of this given that what, 40% of millennials have done this to their skin.

No one here is informed on the long term effects of tattoos? Seems like dermatologists would be on top of this given that what, 40% of millennials have done this to their skin.

No, there are potential long term risks to tattoos: marring the appearance of developing melanoma and the deposition of pigment in lymph nodes, and the risk of ACD as pigment breaks down. There is also a residual risks of infection (bacterial and viral) when it is initially placed. However, you stated a friend was concerned about the long term health risks of tattoo removal

Reactions: 1 user