Target Programs for DO Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

postbacpremed87

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What would be good low to mid-tier target programs for DO applicants in the 235-245 Step 1 range (Midwest, Northeast, Southeast regions). Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
What would be good low to mid-tier target programs for DO applicants in the 235-245 Step 1 range (Midwest, Northeast, Southeast regions). Thanks.

When I interviewed at Arkansas, there were a couple of DO students there. No idea what their step scores were. Seemed like a really solid program!

Look up programs you want to go to that have or have had DOs in the past. If they don't have DOs and you're interested, do an away rotation there. Why limit yourself to what has only been done by others? A program may be accepting of DOs but just never had the chance to match one. You could pave the way for future DOs at a program and be the first. Obviously be smart and have some back-ups.

Clearly I wouldn't waste your efforts on programs like MGH, UCSF, Stanford, Cornell or etc., but you can pull off an otherwise solid match if your scores are good and people find you personable.

Off the top of my head to answer your original question, Kentucky, Missouri, Drexel, Louisville, UF Jacksonville, Wake Forest, MCV, GW, Christiana Care, Staten Island University Hospital, St Luke's Roosevelt, SUNY Upstate+Downstate, University of Rochester, Maryland (I think), EVMS, USF, Yale, Stony Brook and Stony Brook - Mather, Winthrop University, UConn (?) are the ones I've heard of over the years.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
When I interviewed at Arkansas, there were a couple of DO students there. No idea what their step scores were. Seemed like a really solid program!

Arkansas is a diamond in the rough. Great program. I did an away there as a fourth year.

"Best" programs that have taken DOs. Consider all top 25 programs a "no go" for DOs except CCF and UPMC if you consider them top 25 (I do):

UPMC, CCF, Yale, Wake Forest, USC, Colorado, Dartmouth, MUSC, Beaumont, Cincinnati, Minnesota, UNC, MCW, UF-Gainesville, USF, VCU, Penn State, Loyola, Nebraska, Med College GA, Christiana Care, UT-SA, Texas A&M

Any programs at/below these in "tier" would likely take DOs. Some exceptions that I know of that have not taken/interviewed DOs last I checked are Iowa, Wisconsin, Indiana, UAB, UChicago, Mayo (any site).

You'll never know until you try but in general, > 80% of the programs will interview a DO. It's just the "top" programs and a few outliers that won't.

"Best" programs that have taken DOs. Consider all top 25 programs a "no go" for DOs except CCF and UPMC if you consider them top 25 (I do):

UPMC, CCF, Yale, Wake Forest, USC, Colorado, Dartmouth, MUSC, Beaumont, Cincinnati, Minnesota, UNC, MCW, UF-Gainesville, USF, VCU, Penn State, Loyola, Nebraska, Med College GA, Christiana Care, UT-SA, Texas A&M

Any programs at/below these in "tier" would likely take DOs. Some exceptions that I know of that have not taken/interviewed DOs last I checked are Iowa, Wisconsin, Indiana, UAB, UChicago, Mayo (any site).

You'll never know until you try but in general, > 80% of the programs will interview a DO. It's just the "top" programs and a few outliers that won't.

I'm thinking MetroHealth-Case, Aultman-NEOMED, Cincinnati, Toledo, maybe OSU. A DO with a 239 isn't competitive for Yale or Wake Forest.

You're going to end up doing like 6 different residencies. Lol. And I thought I switched my mind a lot! :p

I've been consistent between 3 though and now it is between 2. Radiology is winning. I am doing rotations this summer. I was afraid of Radiology because my Step 1 isn't competitive as a DO.

I'm thinking MetroHealth-Case, Aultman-NEOMED, Cincinnati, Toledo, maybe OSU. A DO with a 239 isn't competitive for Yale or Wake Forest.

Places like Aultman, MetroHealth, and Toledo will definitely interview and likely take a DO with a 239. I mean Metro is only 2 years removed from SOAPing all 5 spots.

I am also a DO applying in the coming months, my step 1 is a little higher in the 260-264 range. Curious if you all would add any programs to those listed above as attainable for myself.

The two hurdles to my application are #1 Being a DO, But i know why i ended up here and i changed things, hence the pretty good step 1. And #2 no research apart from some minimal undergrad stuff. I think both of these things hurt me a lot, I probably just need to stay realistic and apply broadly.

Edit: I just saw the OP listed some specific regions, i dont consider myself limited to a region.

I am also a DO applying in the coming months, my step 1 is a little higher in the 260-264 range. Curious if you all would add any programs to those listed above as attainable for myself.

The two hurdles to my application are #1 Being a DO, But i know why i ended up here and i changed things, hence the pretty good step 1. And #2 no research apart from some minimal undergrad stuff. I think both of these things hurt me a lot, I probably just need to stay realistic and apply broadly.

Edit: I just saw the OP listed some specific regions, i dont consider myself limited to a region.

CCF, UPMC, Yale. UPMC's IR section chief is DO, very mellow and nice guy.

Is utsw out of reach for op ?

I would say UTSW is out of reach for most DO students unless you have substantial ties and an impressive CV. They are relatively DO unfriendly.

I would say UTSW is out of reach for most DO students unless you have substantial ties and an impressive CV. They are relatively DO unfriendly.
Im guessing I would be wasting my time even trying to rotate at utsw then? I would like to stay close to my family in Dallas

Can you pm resources used for step1?

This past year, Indiana interviewed at least two DOs and Iowa invited at least one DO to interview.

Reactions: 1 users
Utah have taken a DO in the last two classes.

So it seems that just the top 15-20 programs are the only ones that still wont take DOs then. Although some of those places (hopkins for example) have taken DOs for fellowships.

So it seems that just the top 15-20 programs are the only ones that still wont take DOs then. Although some of those places (hopkins for example) have taken DOs for fellowships.
I still plan to apply to some of them, it's not that expensive. If i get an interview great, but I won't plan on it.

Just trying to piggyback off this thread as well. I am a 3 year DO student with 250-255 USMLE and 800+ COMLEX. Top 15% of class in pre-clinical years and just about to start clinical rotations. I have some data collection and smoking cessation research from UG and did an abstract/poster presentation so far in school (non-radiology related). I also have rather generic volunteer experiences (very few so far in school) and I am wondering if I should bolster that area of my application.

Am I competitive for the "upper/middle-tier" programs (except those top 15+ that don't interview DOs)? Or should I be aiming for mid-tier and lower ACGME programs? I am looking to most likely do DR and then do some sort of fellowship (IR or neuro maybe?). I am just trying to get an idea where I should aim, other than just looking at resident rosters for DOs. My state preferences are CA and Midwest (have strong ties to both) - specifically places like UC Davis and the two Wisconsin (Milwaukee/Madison) programs (family lives within an hour of both). But obviously, I would like to get into the best program I can, wherever that may be.

UICOMP (University of Illinois College of Medicine at Peoria) is very DO friendly and has an excellent program. Feel free to PM me if u have questions. Y

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app