Taking the Usmle for EM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EMTRNtoDR

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I know the general consensus for DO students to match EM is to take step one. But I wanted to know how much it will hurt my chances if I only take step 2. My COMLEX I is mid 550s and I decided to wait a bit to take step I cause I wasn't scorning where I wanted to on NBMEs. I was under the impression that if I had gotten what I had gotten on the NBMEs it would hurt more then help. So my question is should I take this test and chance doing badly (hard to study for this test during rotations) or just forgo it and take step 2 (a test which I know I'll do better in as it's much more clinical)?

Members don't see this ad.

So I know the general consensus for DO students to match EM is to take step one. But I wanted to know how much it will hurt my chances if I only take step 2. My COMLEX I is mid 550s and I decided to wait a bit to take step I cause I wasn't scorning where I wanted to on NBMEs. I was under the impression that if I had gotten what I had gotten on the NBMEs it would hurt more then help. So my question is should I take this test and chance doing badly (hard to study for this test during rotations) or just forgo it and take step 2 (a test which I know I'll do better in as it's much more clinical)?

It is going to be extremely difficult to do well on step 1 if you are trying to take it during your 3rd year rotations. There are already shelf exams to worry about as well as the time you will be spending on rotations instead of studying for step 1.

The feasible option would be to take Step 1 next June/July, around the same time most students take Step 2. You could take both within a month or so of each other and this way you actually have time set for just studying, instead of trying to study for step 1 while also spending around 60 hours a week on rotations.