Symbolic Interactionism vs. Social Constructionism

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RxMeds

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I know there's lots of posts out there but lots are old and have differing views. Can someone please provide like a very short response of the major difference between these two that will help identify a correct/incorrect answer on the test. Additionally, TPR says SC is micro, but some people are saying macro. What's the consensus? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Symbolic Interactionism is for sure micro. As far as social constructionism, its a gray area, that's why you're finding two different answers.

SI: Small people. Micro interactions. Think of the interaction between you and a peer. Do you high five or give a thumbs up? Because those are random symbols, but you attribute meaning to them.

Social constructionism is more about the idea of creation. If I created a smartphone App with my beliefs (religious, political, social, moral, ethical), and that app got produced, it is embedded with MY social ideas and beliefs that I CONSTRUCTED and put into this app. Think of the construction aspect as building something and embedding you and your small group's thoughts and beliefs into.

Do you have a specific MCAT question regarding the two of them? If so, post that here and people will take a crack at it.