Sylvia Trent-Adams, Ph.D., R.N., F.A.A.N. has taken over the role of Surgeon General?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

leggo_my_ecmo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Biography of the Surgeon General | SurgeonGeneral.gov

What a wonderful quote from U.S. Deputy Surgeon General encourages nurses to be bold and influence public policy

“We have to make sure from a policy perspective that we take control of making (nursing’s) voice heard for the nursing profession. Because we don’t need medicine, pharmacy or dentistry telling us what’s appropriate for nursing in practice, in leadership or in scope of practice”

Members don't see this ad.

What a wonderful quote from U.S. Deputy Surgeon General encourages nurses to be bold and influence public policy

“We have to make sure from a policy perspective that we take control of making (nursing’s) voice heard for the nursing profession. Because we don’t need medicine, pharmacy or dentistry telling us what’s appropriate for nursing in practice, in leadership or in scope of practice”
Deputy Surgeon General

Ah man.. it probably really bites given that her boss is an MD.

Members don't see this ad :)
If her experience qualifies her for an administrative job, I'm unsure what difference the letters at the end of her name matter. Certainly seen a lot of people with either MD or RN presume that also means MBA despite a lack of expertise...

Either way, suggesting health policy is a top priority in the current era seems unlikely.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
This cannot be real lol. The title of the job is Surgeon General.

This cannot be real lol. The title of the job is Surgeon General.
Many of the previous surgeons general were not surgeons.

And besides, she is a doctor.

What is her Phd in?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
As far as I can tell her thesis advisor was and is part of the School of Public Policy at UMBC. Therefore I would expect her PhD is in public policy (her thesis was entitled "Access to Care and Health Services Utilization for HIV-Infected Minorities Before and After the Implementation of the Minority AIDS Initiative").

... couldn't find it explicitly written out anywhere, though.

Many of the previous surgeons general were not surgeons.

And besides, she is a doctor.

You know the propaganda is good when they even have medical students parroting it

Reactions: 20 users
Members don't see this ad :)

I like how their idea of self advocacy is through putting down others

Reactions: 6 users
Sad.

We are so ****ed it's unreal

Reactions: 1 user
I can see the tweet from Donald right now:
"Medical community downplays the role of nurses as medical professionals. Sad!"

Last edited:
If Republicans don't stand up for doctors you know the end is nigh

Let the wailing and gnashing of teeth begin.

next stop, Hospital administrator takes job as surgeon general. i'm calling it. maybe they'll have a phd in hospital administration

Dr C. Everett Koop broke the mold. None have been as influential as Dr. Koop.

However, Dr. Jocelyn Elders was truly entertaining.

What Mr. Panetta described today as the incident that became "one too many" occurred in New York on Dec. 1. Dr. Elders was asked by Dr. Rob Clark, a psychologist who was attending the AIDS conference, about the prospects for "a more explicit discussion and promotion of masturbation" as a means to limit the spread of the virus.

"As per your specific question in regard to masturbation," Dr. Elders said, "I think that is something that is a part of human sexuality and it's a part of something that perhaps should be taught. But we've not even taught our children the very basics."

Limiting HIV by yanking off? I don't know who was more stupid: the psychologist or Elders.

Surgeon Generals since then have been completely inconsequential. Best wishes Dr Sylvia Trent-Adams.

Edited bc fake news.

Last edited:
bizarro world. This may be scoffed at by the SDN community who knows better, but to many outside the medical world the surgeon general represents the highest position a physician can take. Those on SDN can laugh off the doom and gloom, but this is another minute step towards the destruction of medicine.

Reactions: 3 users
bizarro world. This may be scoffed at by the SDN community who knows better, but to many outside the medical world the surgeon general represents the highest position a physician can take. Those on SDN can laugh off the doom and gloom, but this is another minute step towards the destruction of medicine.
For once, I agree with staphylococcus aureus

For once, I agree with staphylococcus aureus
Hmm.. being in line with staphylococcus aureus would make you streptococcus agalactiae.

Just a thought

Reactions: 13 users
Hmm.. being in line with staphylococcus aureus would make you streptococcus agalactiae.

Just a thought
Lmao, yes! Jabbed understands. He gets it. :zip:

All right folks, calm down. This is fake news. Trump did not appoint a militant nurse as Surgeon General, he merely fired the existing Obama era SG and has not as of yet named a replacement. The militant nurse was the Deputy SG, also appointed by Obama, and thus is serving as acting-Surgeon General by default.

There is no reason whatsoever as of yet to suspect Trump will name a nurse as Surgeon General. Don't forget that he has 2 physicians in his cabinet in extremely powerful positions: Tom Price as HHS secretary and Ben Carson at HUD. When was the last time that happened?

All right folks, calm down. This is fake news. Trump did not appoint a militant nurse as Surgeon General, he merely fired the existing Obama era SG and has not as of yet named a replacement. The militant nurse was the Deputy SG, also appointed by Obama, and thus is serving as acting-Surgeon General by default.

There is no reason whatsoever as of yet to suspect Trump will name a nurse as Surgeon General. Don't forget that he has 2 physicians in his cabinet in extremely powerful positions: Tom Price as HHS secretary and Ben Carson at HUD. When was the last time that happened?

This. It sucks, but it's not the end of the world, so in this particular instance the anti-Trump fervor isn't directed appropriately. He asked the current Surgeon General to step down early, which is not cool and fairly unusual, but he hasn't actually appointed a new one yet. The current ACTING Surgeon General simply moved up a spot on the ladder temporarily. The position is more about public health (head of the US Public Health Service) than specific to medicine, anyway, so while it makes sense to have that person be a physician and if not it's a bit of a misnomer, Trent-Adams has a long service history with the USPHS and isn't necessarily unqualified to lead it until the next appointment is made.

I'm not blindly defending either Trump or the nurses-over-doctors movement here, but let's all aim our vitriol appropriately for when they actually deserve it.

Reactions: 2 users

Nope, second highest (vice-admiral). The top is assistant secretary for health (admiral) and they are virtually all physicians.

United States Public Health Service Commissioned Corps - Wikipedia

Reactions: 2 users
I highly doubt they will keep Sylvia Trent-Adams for a notable period of time given that she is in the eyes of the current administration a relic of the past administration. If anything I'm curious who will soon replace her-- I have a hunch it will adhere to the traditional physician appointment.

But one has to wonder if she will use this limited time to politicize/advocate for more nurse autonomy or something of the sort.

Most of which probably don't care one way or another.

Maybe, but I bet there's a sizable % of the U.S. where Murthy is one of the only non-celebrity physicians known by name. Who nominated her isn't exactly the point, she is the acting SG and her even being appointed to deputy is a bad precedent to set. Let's not discount the influence they can have, a la C. Evert Koop.

Last edited:
the top is an assistant secretary? what is secretary for health then? And why are people saying shes temporary? She is the new surgeon general.

No, she is not. She is the acting Surgeon General because the prior Surgeon General was fired and his replacement has not yet been named. As soon as Trump names the replacement, she will be gone, hopefully along with most of the other Obama era appointees.

Reactions: 3 users
And why are people saying shes temporary? She is the new surgeon general.
She is the Acting surgeon general, not the surgeon general. Vivek Murthy was the 19th surgeon general, and if president Trump nominates (and the senate confirms) a replacement, then that person will be the 20th surgeon general.

the top is an assistant secretary? what is secretary for health then?
The boss of the assistant secretary of health is the secretary of health and human services (HHS), who has more responsibilities than just doctor stuff. The top doc position is the assistant secretary of health.

Please don't remind me that Ben Carson is a physician.

Just a thought
is that a play on the arrangement of the 2 bacteria (cluster vs chain)? just making sure i get the joke lol

The deputy SG is usually a person who has risen in the ranks of the USPHS and gets appointed to that position by the current Surgeon General. In the past there was an acting surgeon general that was an engineer.
I do agree that the deputy surgeon general should be a physician, but it is the choice of the SG serving at the time to appoint who he/she feels fit to be his/her deputy. RADM Trent-Adams was appointed by our previous SG, RADM Murthy.

To summarize, The SG is a political appointment, and the DSG rises within the ranks of the USPHS and assist the SG navigate the ins/outs of the USPHS.

In the past the SG would also rise within the ranks of USPHS; unfortunately, it became a political appointment and every time we have a new administration there will be a new SG that will deliver the message of the current administration.

In my opinion, the SG should still rise within the ranks and report on the state of public health and not just on the current believes/wishes of the presidency/political party.