switching to nuclear medicine from anesthesia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CAthunder

Premier
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I currently matched into a prelim program and an anesthesia spot. I, however, am having alot of doubts about anesthesia. For some reason (late), I'm worried about all these invasive procedures that will be thrown left and right. I have been interested in Nuclear Medicine since 3rd year and was thinking about switching.

Do you think I stand a chance at switching even if I matched to a prelim and a PGY2 year? I called some NM programs and they are very helpful and some are rolling admissions. Any help with this process would be great. Perhaps this is just pre-residency jitters but I really can't see myself putting patients to sleep anymore and performing highly invasive procedures.

I know the job market might be low, but i'll try to have some hope with something I have preference in as a lifelong career rather than do something I won't be happy with for the rest of my life.

Please, any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,
I currently matched into a prelim program and an anesthesia spot. I, however, am having alot of doubts about anesthesia. For some reason (late), I'm worried about all these invasive procedures that will be thrown left and right. I have been interested in Nuclear Medicine since 3rd year and was thinking about switching.

Do you think I stand a chance at switching even if I matched to a prelim and a PGY2 year? I called some NM programs and they are very helpful and some are rolling admissions. Any help with this process would be great. Perhaps this is just pre-residency jitters but I really can't see myself putting patients to sleep anymore and performing highly invasive procedures.

I know the job market might be low, but i'll try to have some hope with something I have preference in as a lifelong career rather than do something I won't be happy with for the rest of my life.

Please, any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Would 100% not go the NM route. Terrible job prospects, and from what I hear it's very tough to find a permanent, full time gig as an attending. Have you thought about going the pain route in anesthesia if you don't like invasive/life threatening situations? PMR/neuro also have some procedures but much more calm lifestyles, esp. PMR.

try switching into radiology. Under no circumstances should you apply to a nuclear medicine program. You will not get a job

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Switch to radiology and then do nucs medicine fellowship. Then you'll be fine. Even you can do some minimal procedures if you'd like. If you want to be a competent nucs doc radiology is the way to go.
Nuclear medicine resideny will neither provide u with any job oppurtunity nor an adequate training. For example nucs trained people have a lot of struggle reading PET-CT.

If you can, do radiology first. It gives you a good foundation. Then do nuclear medicine afterwards as an expansion pack.

Alternatively you can do nuclear medicine first, and then decide what next, whether you want to stay in nuke med or have a go at radiology.

Either way should work out fine. But say if radiology & nuke med are both happy to take you today, do radiology first.

Also probably worthwhile checking with someone about your doubts for anaesthetics, see if those doubts can be cleared up. Maybe you'll decide to stay in anaesthetics.

Please don't make the mistake. Do rads, then nucs.

If you have any trouble still making this connection, see my (in)famous earlier post, and the 4+ pages of enlightening replies.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi, Cathance, I remember you two years ago when I was a second year Nuclear resident in this forum. How are you doing now? Did you figure out a way to find a job? I graduated last year, but couldn't find a nuc job. Have to think about several other options, including another residency, jobs not in medical fields. It is really not easy.

You can PM me.

Take care.

They have to close all the Nucs medicine residencies and integrate it into radiology programs as a fellowship.