Switching Residency Specialty: Is it wise or possibly to reapply via ERAS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

corpuscleofhassal

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have completed 2 years of a specific residency and am seeking to switch into another specialty. I find the residentswap and similar options to be limiting or hard to come by.

Assuming the support of my program director, is it possible or feasible to re-apply through the match to a PGY-1 spot into the new specialty, or is it frowned upon for one to redo that process?

Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

It's absolutely possible to reapply through the match and not infrequently the best way to go about switching especially in smaller specialties.
Gives you far more options typically

I have completed 2 years of a specific residency and am seeking to switch into another specialty. I find the residentswap and similar options to be limiting or hard to come by.

Assuming the support of my program director, is it possible or feasible to re-apply through the match to a PGY-1 spot into the new specialty, or is it frowned upon for one to redo that process?

Thank you in advance!

Depending on the specialties, you may be able to look for a PGY-2 spot, but that wouldn't be through the match. What are you coming from and going to?

Last edited:
I went through the match again this year as a pgy-1 I think it gave me the most options. I had to do that though really, because my intern year wasn't going to count for the new specialty. My PD was super supportive, and I was able to match into my chosen new specialty. I think early and open communication is the key--I know some may say it can hurt you, but I really think being up front and not hiding anything really shows them what kind of person you are and speaks to your character.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Hi,
First off, congratulations on your success! I'm an FM intern (in an osteopathic residency program) and interested in switching into a pediatric residency because I realized a bit late that I really enjoy pediatrics and I may want to specialize further. I am very willing to repeat intern year if it means I can specialize in pediatrics. Can you give me some insight on how you went about this process? I am nervous because I am just starting intern year and applications are starting to open up soon so I don't know how that leaves time for new solid recommendation letters or any new additions to my application. In addition, I have not had a chance to build a solid relationship with my current PD yet and I don't want to violate the match rules, so I don't know when the appropriate time to discuss this with my PD would be. I'm certain the programs I apply to would want a supportive letter from my PD, but would it be too late in the application cycle to get a letter from her in October/November?

Any help/advice would be very much appreciated! Thanks

I spoke to my PD right about the same time applications were due. Actually I spoke with him the same day I was submitting my eras. I did not want to do anything shady or behind my program's back so was as up front as I could be and they turned out to be very supportive of me. In my mind, the sooner the better and being up front was the best move. I can only speak to my experience tho and am sure others would have a diff take but it worked out beautifully for me and I'm glad I did it that way.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

I had a similar posting titled " second thoughts" and apparently only ended up attracting contributors with a very biased negative opinion. Even after stating that the frequency of threads of op's wanting to switch specialities keeps increasing, most people commented that switching specialties is uncommon.
At least we have positive people commenting here.
It may be that it is most frequenting Sdn are MD's, and by stating that I am a DO, they feel it is a right to put me down.
Am happy to see that there are many residents wanting to switch specialities, and while the process is not free of difficulty, it is still possible with a reasonable percentage to be able to switch specialities.

You can definitely switch specialties. It's uncommon, but happens frequently enough that any PD who has been doing this for any amount of time will have it happen. There is a big difference between "doing fine and deciding that something else is better" and "failing out / not doing well and transferring because another field might be a better fit". APplying via ERAS for a new PGY-1 gives you the most options. Transferring to a new program at the same institution is the least complicated. If your current residency will count as a "prelim" year, you might be able to start at the PGY-2 level -- but that will require matching into an R position (which there are much less of), or finding an open spot that is off cycle.

Does anyone have any insight on what happens if you apply to a different specialty through the match, and then do not match to the new specialty? Assuming of course you were kosher about everything, got your current PD's blessing ahead of time, etc. Will PD's try to fill your spot as soon as you tell them you are applying, or will they wait until they find out whether or not you matched? I am thinking about applying to a combined specialty for which they are very few programs/spots, and just on that alone I know there is a fair chance of not getting a position - I'm scared of getting stuck in March with neither my current position nor a spot in the combined program. (FYI, I am starting my intern year now, and would be applying for PGY-1 spots in the combined specialty).

Does anyone have any insight on what happens if you apply to a different specialty through the match, and then do not match to the new specialty? Assuming of course you were kosher about everything, got your current PD's blessing ahead of time, etc. Will PD's try to fill your spot as soon as you tell them you are applying, or will they wait until they find out whether or not you matched? I am thinking about applying to a combined specialty for which they are very few programs/spots, and just on that alone I know there is a fair chance of not getting a position - I'm scared of getting stuck in March with neither my current position nor a spot in the combined program. (FYI, I am starting my intern year now, and would be applying for PGY-1 spots in the combined specialty).

What did you match in and what are you trying to do?

There is no specific answer to your question, it will be up to each program. Asking me to wait until March to see if you get a new spot is a big ask -- the good people looking for spots want them locked in long before that. I'm risking having an open spot that remains unfilled, or filling it with a less-than-optimal candidate. My personal style is that I start looking for a replacement as soon as I know I have an opening. If I find someone whom I'm going to offer the spot to, I contact you first to see what you want to do. usually this has allowed you to apply, and at least see how many interviews you've gotten. But yes, you then need to decide whether to stay in the match and take your chances, or keep your spot. If I don't find someone to fill the position before March, then it's still yours if you don't match and still want it.

There is no specific answer to your question, it will be up to each program. Asking me to wait until March to see if you get a new spot is a big ask -- the good people looking for spots want them locked in long before that. I'm risking having an open spot that remains unfilled, or filling it with a less-than-optimal candidate. My personal style is that I start looking for a replacement as soon as I know I have an opening. If I find someone whom I'm going to offer the spot to, I contact you first to see what you want to do. usually this has allowed you to apply, and at least see how many interviews you've gotten. But yes, you then need to decide whether to stay in the match and take your chances, or keep your spot. If I don't find someone to fill the position before March, then it's still yours if you don't match and still want it.

Though I suspect not everyone will do it this way and give the resident a chance to stay or not if there is another candidate waiting in the wings. It's nice of you to do that, though.

I had a question regarding this. Lets say you matched into a competitive specialty and would like to switch to a less competitive specialty via ERAS all over again. Would your application be as good as if you were applying straight out of med school with a competitive app or will you be less desirable because you are switching?

I had a question regarding this. Lets say you matched into a competitive specialty and would like to switch to a less competitive specialty via ERAS all over again. Would your application be as good as if you were applying straight out of med school with a competitive app or will you be less desirable because you are switching?
Not AS desirable, but probably fine, as long as you have a good reason for switching and experience/LORs in the specialty.

Thank you so much for your insight. One other question- should the supportive letter from the current PD be one of my letters of recommendation?