Switching into IM/EM combined residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

asdfg123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I've have been reading through the forums but have yet to see any posts that answer my particular question. I apologize if this has been discussed before, but here it goes...

If an intern in internal medicine were to decide late that he/she would like to pursue a combined EM/I'M residency, how plausible is it that they would be able to switch over. I did not rotate through the emergency department until late in my fourth year and I feel that I would like to have the additonal certification and qualifications so that I can work in the ED as well as on the wards. I should ad that the combined residency is at the same institution as the current Internal medicine program. I'm hoping to speak with the program director but before I did I just wanted to see if there were any people with similar situations out there. I understand that I won't get full funding for the last couple of years, but I'm hoping to be able to supplement my income with moonlighting. Does anyone have any experience with this or heard of people who have done this in the past? Any advice or thoughts areappreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

The ABEM "Guidelines for Combined Training" state:
Residents should enter a combined program at the R-1 level. A resident may enter a combined program at the R-2 level only if the first residency year was served in an accredited, categorical residency in either Emergency Medicine or Internal Medicine. Residents may not enter combined training beyond the R-1 level or transfer between combined training programs in different institutions unless prospectively approved by both Boards. If they transfer between combined training programs, residents must be offered, and complete a fully-integrated curriculum. A transitional year of training will provide no credit toward the requirements of either Board.

So yes, transfers are allowed. I personally know of people doing this transfer. It's important that you speak to your current program director before approaching the EMIM program, as the first call that PD is going to make will be to your PD, especially if you are within the same institution.

Regarding funding, it's a complicated concept and somewhat outside the scope of this thread. Your salary will not be impacted by the lack of funding; the hospital takes a hit.

Also somewhat OT, but I would not recommend on using moonlighting as part of your financial plan; in a residency your primary focus should be training, if you have extra time then it should be spent improving your skills. Occasional moonlighting as a "bonus" is okay.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.