Swelling mechanisms - what are they?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wemid

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
There are three swelling mechanisms I'm familiar with:
  1. Intracellular swelling (aka. hydropic change, vacuolar degeneration, cellular edema) - where excessive water is accumulated within the cell, causing some pallor, increased turgor, and increase in weight of the organ.
  2. Edema - an abnormal accumulation of fluid in the interstitium, located beneath the skin and in the cavities of the body.
  3. Hypertrophy - the increase in the volume of an organ or tissue due to the enlargement of its component cells due to an increase in protein synthesis resulting in more and larger organelles.
My question is: Are there any other swelling mechanisms?

Members don't see this ad.

damn sounds like a second year medical student question.......no pathologists will know this answer lol

Members don't see this ad :)
does sound like a med student question.
though maybe i'd add ballooning degeneration of hepatocytes in steatohepatitis...if that's not already under the 'intracellular swelling' category

2429615600000578-0-image-a-276_1419003100771.jpg

damn sounds like a second year medical student question.......no pathologists will know this answer lol
actually, I'm a patient with an undiagnosed penile corpus cavernosum swelling. It started less than an hour after I scratched the meatus with my fingernail, 4 years ago. It interferes with normal sexual function.

I'm trying to understand the nature of the problem, by understanding possible swelling mechanisms, and eliminating what can be eliminated.

My thinking is that edema can be eliminated, as it's not seen in US and MRI tests my penis has undergo.

As for hypertrophy, as I understand, it's a gradual process that takes time, whereas my swelling occurred instantly after the minor scratch to the meatus. Also, it usually affects muscles.

My conclusion is that the swelling in my case cannot be anything else other than intracellular swelling, which is reversible when the cause is eliminated. Possible causes are hypoxia, ischemia, chemicals, radiation, heat, cold, and infection. My penis has never been exposed to any of this, other than infection, caused by the scratch with the dirty fingernail. This leads me to the conclusion that a local chronic infection, probably in the form of a biofilm, is the cause of the swelling. Once the infection would be eliminated, the swelling will disappear.

What's your thoughts?

Wow! My bad...forgot that possibility...the ol' "scratch to the dick with the
dirty fingernail" biofilm swelling syndrome. Guess you nailed it!

Reactions: 1 user
Wow! My bad...forgot that possibility...the ol' "scratch to the dick with the
dirty fingernail" biofilm swelling syndrome. Guess you nailed it!
NOT FUNNY!

Anyone serious?

This forum isn't for medical advice. If you really have a gross dick, go see a doctor about it. It isn't our problem.
Some attitude...

I've been to 30 doctors already, including urologists and infectious disease experts. They have no clue.

If anyone have some ideas, it won't kill you to share them, even if it's not the purpose of this forum.

Also, my dick isn't gross, it's just swelled!

There are so much things that can cause swelling of the corpus cavernosum after an hour as a result of a scratch to the meatus with a fingernail.

Some attitude...

I've been to 30 doctors already, including urologists and infectious disease experts. They have no clue.

If anyone have some ideas, it won't kill you to share them, even if it's not the purpose of this forum.

Also, my dick isn't gross, it's just swelled!

There are so much things that can cause swelling of the corpus cavernosum after an hour as a result of a scratch to the meatus with a fingernail.
this is beyond the purpose and scope of this forum--mods?

Status
Not open for further replies.