Surviving 1st year burnout

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Neuro is...

• Total voters
Last cardio exam is next Friday. Finishing our MPH presentations today. Our last week is first-year H&P exams. 2 more weeks....

Omg. 14 weeks? I'd die. You guys got short-changed out of another subject.

I dunno cuz our M2 blocks are of a similar length. The only really short one is musculoskeletal, which is 8 weeks.
But yeah, finishing up week 12 now and still dying.

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly, I feel like a hypocrite talking about how not to burn out in med school when it happened to me numerous times. I guess experience is the best teacher.

I'll keep it short. Work out, read something that isn't medicine, hang out with friends and MEDITATE (!!!!!). All this, of course, is easier said than done. What I always felt was essential is figuring out what your study method is and making your study more efficient (again easier said than done-- do your research on this one). This will free up some blessed hours and enable you to do something fun.

What people always talk about is how one needs the willpower to keep on studying, which is true. However, no one ever talks about how much willpower it takes to stop studying, chill out and do something else. So it goes both ways, force yourself to study and force some down time as well.

P.S. The meditation part is big, helps manage stress. Remember that prolonged stress = prolonged exposure to cortisol = less memory retention + more irritability.

Know that many people went and go through it
Hope this helps.
cheers

Reactions: 1 user
Honestly, I feel like a hypocrite talking about how not to burn out in med school when it happened to me numerous times. I guess experience is the best teacher.

I'll keep it short. Work out, read something that isn't medicine, hang out with friends and MEDITATE (!!!!!). All this, of course, is easier said than done. What I always felt was essential is figuring out what your study method is and making your study more efficient (again easier said than done-- do your research on this one). This will free up some blessed hours and enable you to do something fun.

What people always talk about is how one needs the willpower to keep on studying, which is true. However, no one ever talks about how much willpower it takes to stop studying, chill out and do something else. So it goes both ways, force yourself to study and force some down time as well.

P.S. The meditation part is big, helps manage stress. Remember that prolonged stress = prolonged exposure to cortisol = less memory retention + more irritability.

Know that many people went and go through it
Hope this helps.
cheers

Gonna use ur post to play halo every couple of hours

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
Our neuro course was 18 weeks. At a school with a newly condensed 18 month curriculum. Fml

I dunno cuz our M2 blocks are of a similar length. The only really short one is musculoskeletal, which is 8 weeks.
But yeah, finishing up week 12 now and still dying.
Ours was six weeks (with spring break in the middle) and I thought that was pretty bad. :inpain:

In the middle of neuro right now. Just sitting here. Can't even study. No ****s left to give. The class is literally 95% anatomy memorization drudgery.

Sections of first year and second year were my worst times in medical school.

Third year has some crappy bits, but I would do that year over again long before the other two. Fourth year is variable depending on your specialty: mine was ok, with 4 really good months.

If you find a specialty you like it feels pretty worth it, and if you don't at least you're employed