Surgical Residence in Sweden

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LaViidaLocaa

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all!

5th year Med student from Belgium here. In less than two years, I'll be finishing medical school in Belgium, normally starting residency. Despite being at a very strong university, I am interested in possibly doing my residency abroad. One of my options for that would be Sweden, and as an aspiring cardiac surgeon, my question is as follows:

For EU graduates, are the odds reasonable to obtain a residency spot for General Surgery (later specializing in Cardiac Surgery)? On what basis are residency spots allocated?
(I know regulations have changed recently, requiring a C1 level of proficiency as of now. Let's just assume that is not the main problem, ha.)

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

You apply for residency spots as with any other job. You can either reply to ads (and get a lot of competition, if you can even find an ad), or you can call heads of clinics and ask for a job. Having previous work experience, solid language skills in Swedish (yes, even as a surgeon), as well as research merits will be beneficial. The largest cities might be a hard sell without experience in-country, but if you're willing to go somewhere smaller your chances should be very good.

You apply for residency spots as with any other job. You can either reply to ads (and get a lot of competition, if you can even find an ad), or you can call heads of clinics and ask for a job. Having previous work experience, solid language skills in Swedish (yes, even as a surgeon), as well as research merits will be beneficial. The largest cities might be a hard sell without experience in-country, but if you're willing to go somewhere smaller your chances should be very good.

Thank you for your input, and sorry for my late reply: I wanted to wait for others' input as well before replying, but it appears that the Swedish community isn't so widespread on studentdoctor, ha!
Whilst still being in medical school, I will start with studying Swedish (being a polyglot makes it a lot easier) and continue my research ventures. What I decide to do in two years from now is not entirely sure yet, but at least this'll keep my options open.

Thanks again, and if there are others who want to chime in: please do so!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your input, and sorry for my late reply: I wanted to wait for others' input as well before replying, but it appears that the Swedish community isn't so widespread on studentdoctor, ha!
Whilst still being in medical school, I will start with studying Swedish (being a polyglot makes it a lot easier) and continue my research ventures. What I decide to do in two years from now is not entirely sure yet, but at least this'll keep my options open.

Thanks again, and if there are others who want to chime in: please do so!
Hello, any update on how you're fairing?

Hello, any update on how you're fairing?
Hello :)
Same position here ,right now I am in last year medicine !
As I know all the foreign student need to do 18 months rotation after that going for residency ! Any idea about that?