Surgical Instruments Grades and Which brands to stay away from.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Northmeadow Surgeon

Semper Paratus - Always Ready
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Howdy Everyone, I am curious about surgical instruments and their grades but also if there are certain brands of instruments I should stay away from when selecting instruments to perform a procedure.

I will give you an example of what i mean. I currently have a set of Pakistan Stainless steel scalpel handles, I also have a set of German Stainless steel scalpel handles and a set of Swann-Mortan stainless steel scalpel handles. I know the German stainless steel handles are made of better material than the Pakistan stainless steel handles but the Swann-Mortan handles are British made handles and do not follow the normal grading that would be obvious with German and Pakistan steel. So i am curious if the Swann-Mortan handles are of better quality than the German stainless steel or if the German handles are better quality?

I am also wondering if this goes for all instruments in general and if there are for instance certain brands I should stay away from when selecting instruments. Having said that are there brands that you would suggest? Also what puts a brand above another one?

I am also looking for suggestions on scalpel blade selection. There are many manufacturers who produce sterile single use blades for surgical applications. Are there any recommendations on who to purchase from and which types of blades to purchase? I am aware that there are different blade materials, I am more asking about manufactures to purchase from than the particular blade it self.

In summary, I am looking for info on determining the best scalpel handles out currently along with the blades to go with them. I am also looking to know the difference between manufactures of these instruments and how to determine the grade of these instruments to make sure I have the proper tools. Any information anyone can provide would be of great help to me. I look forward to hearing from all of you and thank you ahead of time!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Why on earth do you own that many scalpel handles?

Hahaha. Trying to find the right fight, weight and feel. They are a couple of different brands. But that is my very problem I'm not really sure which is best and when i say best I mean material wise not feel and weight wise.

Members don't see this ad :)
Lol couldn't really get my kicks from cutting down trees. Although i've upgraded to digital genotyping instead of a box of slides with blood on them. :)

Back to the topic of the thread. Does anyone have any advice or suggestions?

I can't figure out why you need to own any of this. Surgeons use the instruments at the hospital and I doubt a hospital would let you bring anything in of your own.

10/10 creepiness factor for this post.

Reactions: 3 users
As said above it's a very strange question and comes across as somewhat creepy.

Having performed literally thousands of surgical procedures I can say I have before this moment literally never given a moment's thought to the composition of a scalpel handle. And this is someone who has come from a long life of hobbies that obsess over the minutiae of equipment quality (golf, baseball, cooking).

Of all surgical equipment to obsess over, I think a scalpel handle would be the last I would even think about. No offense to our plastic surgery colleagues but it's one of the least important things I use. If you wanted to debate the various fineries of right angles, or of a Westphal versus a right angle versus a bridge. Now that I could get on board with. But not laid out on my living room table.

Seriously why the hell do you own 30 scalpel handles? Creepy AF.

I totally understand what everyone is saying here. But I am simply asking about the quality of surgical instruments and selecting the best one for the job. I simply used scalpel handles as an example. I am not trying to creep anyone out or cause a problem I am simply asking for guidance as far as surgical instruments are concerned. Do you need me to pose the question in a different manner?

I took the picture down to try and stop creeping people out. I'm not trying to upset anyone I am seriously asking for advice from experienced members of the medical community as this forum was set up for.

So I apologize for the distraction.

I use what the OR gives me when it comes to scalpels. I don't think about the handle at all.

Are you a surgeon? Why are you procuring your own instruments at home?

The picture isn't the creepy part. It's owning the instruments yourself at all.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I mean I have a couple of disposable scalpels in my first aid kit for sure. Show me a surgery resident who doesn't have lidocaine and disposable needle drivers etc and such pilfered from kits over the years. But yeah this is a whole other situation right here.

Reactions: 1 users
Like I said before it's 3 sets of handles. One for each blade size (#3 and #4 handles to cover all common sizes) and the three different types German, Pakistan and Swann-Mortan.

I understand how you might think someone would use them for devious purposes but that isn't the case. They were not expensive and I wanted to see first hand the quality of the instruments. I didn't want to take what I saw in catalogs or what others told me without seeing it for my self first hand.

I appreciate your concern about me having them but that doesn't answer my question. I'm not hurting anyone by having my own set of scalpels. I want to know how these items are selected by hospital administration and what basis they use to select them so I can make my own judgements and have the knowledge my self because I am curious. Not so I can harm someone.

I would guess that hospitals choose by which they can get for the lowest cost.

Also most places use safety blades now so those metal handles you have are gradually going by the wayside.

You didn't answer the question about whether you are a resident or surgeon or none of the above.

Reactions: 1 user
There's just so many instruments that are used more often and more critically during a case than the scalpel handle we touch for 15 seconds and toss off the field. And for all of them, it's hard to believe they are chosen by anything other than "what's the cheapest we can order before too many surgeons complain?"

I have heard attendings complain about the quality of certain instruments - usually the ones that need a fine point or smooth locking/unlocking action. I have never once heard anyone complain about the scalpel handle.

creepiness factor aside, I agree with the others in that this is not an issue or something we even consider in the operating room.

While I have asked for and received the round handles for making circular incisions I can honestly say that after all these years in training and practice, I have never once looked at the grade or manufacturer of a scalpel handle. I have looked at them for things I use for longer periods of time such as lighted retractors and needle drivers.

OP you are over estimating the importance of the scalpel handle. As others have noted most hospitals will buy the cheapest they can get away with. Surgeons can and do ask for specific equipment but with the exception of some things like headlights, no one owns their own scalpel handles or has a collection of them. This is probably the least important part of the case so we use what we're given and complain about things like suture material, forceps, retractors and needle drivers.

creepiness factor aside, I agree with the others in that this is not an issue or something we even consider in the operating room.

While I have asked for and received the round handles for making circular incisions I can honestly say that after all these years in training and practice, I have never once looked at the grade or manufacturer of a scalpel handle. I have looked at them for things I use for longer periods of time such as lighted retractors and needle drivers.

OP you are over estimating the importance of the scalpel handle. As others have noted most hospitals will buy the cheapest they can get away with. Surgeons can and do ask for specific equipment but with the exception of some things like headlights, no one owns their own scalpel handles or has a collection of them. This is probably the least important part of the case so we use what we're given and complain about things like suture material, forceps, retractors and needle drivers.

I understand that the handles are not a specialized instrument and do not require much attention as far as material and brand.

I guess i should reword my question and include what others have posted as well. My question is what criteria do hospitals use to select instruments other than price? Price being the only factor doesn't quite sit right with me.

I understand that the handles are not a specialized instrument and do not require much attention as far as material and brand.

I guess i should reword my question and include what others have posted as well. My question is what criteria do hospitals use to select instruments other than price? Price being the only factor doesn't quite sit right with me.

Why? As long as they work ok. They are all pretty similar. What is your angle? Why are you interested in this topic?

I think in general, because the people ordering the instruments are not the people using them, price may indeed be the main factor. As has been mentioned before, some surgeons require specialized equipment or may petition the powers that be to get a certain tool - but they have to care enough to do so, and we don't pay enough attention to the minutiae of each minor instrument to actually care. In a given tray, I can probably tell you that I prefer one toothed forceps to another because it seems to grab tissue better - but I certainly couldn't tell you what company made it or in which country. I'm more likely to tell my scrub tech "this one's broken, get me a better one" than I am to specify "I want only German made instruments!"

My reason for wanting to know this is both professional and personal. I am responsible for ordering the equipment we use in our practice. So in my mind it was beneficial to ask a wider community their thoughts on what if any difference would be made by buying one instrument over the other in regards to material or manufacture.

I would think you would want the person who is selecting your instruments to be as well informed as possible. Otherwise they will do exactly as you all have said and just pick based on price and be done with it. I was hoping to get information from the group that would help in this area.

I also have a personal interest in that I am just curious as to what factors are taking into account when selecting instruments and equipment.

This is the second most chilling thread I read on SDN. The OP have only made posts in this thread.

So OP, tell us, how can you prove to us that you are a physician but not a serial killer?

The most chilling one was posted by the friend of young female athletes who were sexually assualted by her team doctor. The question was whether osteopathic manipulative technique included intra-vaginal application or not.

I can't figure out why you need to own any of this. Surgeons use the instruments at the hospital and I doubt a hospital would let you bring anything in of your own.

10/10 creepiness factor for this post.
I have heard of some surgeons having their own special tools or trays that they would bring in to get sterilized and use them but that it more for super specialized stuff (plus weird stuff like regular clothing buttons one of the plastic surgeons would have sterile for suturing onto certain body part repairs). Also once they sterilized a toy rat to give to a surgeon who used to complain about needing a rat to chew through the suture because the scissors weren't sharp enough.

I have heard of some surgeons having their own special tools or trays that they would bring in to get sterilized and use them but that it more for super specialized stuff (plus weird stuff like regular clothing buttons one of the plastic surgeons would have sterile for suturing onto certain body part repairs). Also once they sterilized a toy rat to give to a surgeon who used to complain about needing a rat to chew through the suture because the scissors weren't sharp enough.
We have sterile buttons too but the hospital gets them. There's also an old spoon that's sterilized and on a specific tray and used for scooping out necrotic infected pancreas if necessary. We (the hospital) also buy generic black foam at Walmart and sterilize it for making abdominal Barker vacs (poor man's vac) without the KCI equipment. And our vascular guys have crochet hooks they use for stab phlebectomy. But all that stays at the hospital/office. No primadonnas here that have their own sets they keep at home with them. People have their own assigned trays/specialty instruments but other people use them and they don't take them with them if they leave.

I still don't quite get the OP's purpose here. There are reps that will bring in instruments to demonstrate them and if he's the one in charge of procuring them for a practice like at a surgery center then he could have the different companies come in and the surgeons there could try them out to see if they like one brand better than another. Seems like a more direct approach that involves the people he's actually buying for rather than attempting to poll other random surgeons/residents on the internet. The fact that he started with scalpels as an example leads me to believe that he is not a surgeon himself.

Were you as pissed as I was at the finale of Dexter? It's been a couple years and I'm still not over it.

Definitely! If they wanted the lumberjack scene and him trying to get out and start afresh, I wished they'd have him inject concoction into someone and have the scene just to black since in the books he can't ever get rid of his dark passenger. I thought the actually ending was just silly.

This is the second most chilling thread I read on SDN. The OP have only made posts in this thread.

So OP, tell us, how can you prove to us that you are a physician but not a serial killer?

The most chilling one was posted by the friend of young female athletes who were sexually assualted by her team doctor. The question was whether osteopathic manipulative technique included intra-vaginal application or not.

:eek:

You all are seriously ridiculous. You guys are the only ones with these killer thoughts in your heads. Cause I sure won't be hurting anyone with any of my equipment. You guys though, I'm not so sure. It's interesting that the first thing that comes to mind for you all is hurting someone. When all I asked for was insight.

But thank you to the one or two people who actually some what answered my question without jumping to conclusions. So thank you.

You all are seriously ridiculous. You guys are the only ones with these killer thoughts in your heads. Cause I sure won't be hurting anyone with any of my equipment. You guys though, I'm not so sure. It's interesting that the first thing that comes to mind for you all is hurting someone. When all I asked for was insight.

But thank you to the one or two people who actually some what answered my question without jumping to conclusions. So thank you.
Hmm....what's the phrase, "if one person thinks you have a problem, its them. If a lot of people think you have a problem, its probably you"?

While you may have a legitimate reason to ask these questions, please believe us when we say that those of us experienced with our surgical colleagues, surgical techs and nurses have rarely if ever found someone who had a collection of knife handles, hence our response.

Hmm....what's the phrase, "if one person thinks you have a problem, its them. If a lot of people think you have a problem, its probably you"?

While you may have a legitimate reason to ask these questions, please believe us when we say that those of us experienced with our surgical colleagues, surgical techs and nurses have rarely if ever found someone who had a collection of knife handles, hence our response.

There is a first for everything.

I am seriously not screwing around here. I know no one here knows me and that means it's easy to jump to conclusions. Yes this was my first post on this forum which is why you only see my posts here on this thread. But the way I have been treated does not give me a great first impression here on the forum. Which is why I haven't posted on any other thread. I am not dexter, I am not doing anything I shouldn't be doing, I simply asked a question I would have liked an answer too.

I know that won't cut it for some people but it is what it is. It's a legitimate question that I would like a legitimate answer to without being judged. Because I have done nothing wrong or inappropriate nor will I ever.

I am seriously not screwing around here. I know no one here knows me and that means it's easy to jump to conclusions. Yes this was my first post on this forum which is why you only see my posts here on this thread. But the way I have been treated does not give me a great first impression here on the forum. Which is why I haven't posted on any other thread. I am not dexter, I am not doing anything I shouldn't be doing, I simply asked a question I would have liked an answer too.

I know that won't cut it for some people but it is what it is. It's a legitimate question that I would like a legitimate answer to without being judged. Because I have done nothing wrong or inappropriate nor will I ever.

So what do you plan to use those scalpel for?

To be fair, there are serial killer comparisons that are less flattering than Dexter. Like Buffalo Bill, or Jigsaw, for example.

You're still not getting it.

There is nothing wrong with the legitimate question of "what do you look for in a scalpel handle/blade" or "how do surgeons/hospitals decide what brand of instruments to use"?

You didn't originally ask those questions and when coupled with a gallery of scalpels which you apparently have at home, it seems odd to us. Arguing the point doesn't change the fact that the behavior of possessing numerous scalpels at home strikes us as unusual.

Nonetheless, several of us have answered your question and told you that the number ONE factor hospitals use when purchasing equipment is cost. They may take our concerns into consideration but I can honestly tell you that most of the time its a fake song and dance about how they polled everyone and "cheap brand X from Pakistan" somehow was the choice.

Imho at this point the weirdest part is that OP won't say what his status is (i.e. Attending, resident, non physician) or just come out and clearly say what he's purchasing them for.

Like someone said above if you're buying surgical equipment for a practice there's like...sales reps and stuff...I wouldn't just go buy a bunch of instruments on eBay and pile them up in my house.

It could certainly be the case, as OP has indicated several times, that they seek information for the sake of seeking information.

It does not have to be some murder conspiracy.

It could certainly be the case, as OP has indicated several times, that they seek information for the sake of seeking information.

It does not have to be some murder conspiracy.

Op went beyond searching information. He bought the instruments.

Dude. Your tagline is Semper Paratus, you asked a weird question (no shame in that, I ask a lot of weird questions) but then you demonstrated absolutely no self-awareness of how it might SEEM like a weird question....and then you posted a picture of all these scalpels you have. If there is any group of people who would be MOST likely to think it was normal to have a bunch of scalpels....we are those people, and yet, we still find it odd. If a diverse smattering of surgeons and surgical trainees have literally never even heard of anyone even remotely like you, then sorry man, some of the onus is on you here.

BUT EVEN THEN you could still have alleviated all of our concerns by just showing some awareness and coming up with ANY sort of reasonable explanation for why you wanted to know this info. I can think of like 5 fake excuses off the top of my head that would have at least gotten us to drop it and stop asking questions. You just kept getting more cryptic and more defensive.

The chances that you are up to something nefarious are low, but certainly way way higher than for any thread I've ever read on here. The chances that you are a very odd duck are 100%.

At this point I have already had my question answered. And I appreciate the information. That is all I wanted and needed.

The only problem with speaking with a sales Rep is they will want to push their own product or so I have found thus far. Most of the distributors I have spoken with only stock a limited variety of different instrument manufactures. Which I guess either simplifies things or complicates them depending on how you look at it.

But to answer your question no I am not a physician I am an administrator. Which is why I was looking for advice from individuals in the surgical field who would have extensive hands experience with these instruments. Again not specific to handles even though that is where the conversation went.

The handles I have at home will be used for crafting and clay modeling. One or two I'll keep in my first aid kit. But the rest will be used in place of an exacto knife.

Op went beyond searching information. He bought the instruments.

Let's not make a mountain out of a mole hill.

I bet some of us have as many, if not more, guns and rifles (legally of course) at home.

Creepy does not automatically equal illegal or nefarious.

Let's not make a mountain out of a mole hill.

I bet some of us have as many, if not more, guns and rifles (legally of course) at home.

Creepy does not automatically equal illegal or nefarious.

I have guns and rifle at home. I didn't go out and buy a collection of catheters and wires. Just pointing out what OP is doing is extremely odd and clicks some unfavorable mental profiles.

Sorry...but it's definitely creepy. I would understand the gunner medical student with instruments at home so he/she could practice and become more proficient. The intern with lots of stolen sutures so he/she could practice tying. Even collecting certain supplies that would be more useful on a day-to-day basis (old towels for washing the car, or hemostats for bag clips, or 4x4s and Steri-Strips and Dermabond for a first aid kit).

But the way you were very evasive about your exact profession (despite your handle having the word "Surgeon" in it), and the fact that you couldn't concisely and clearly state that you were just trying to determine where to order medical supplies...and the fact that you have a COLLECTION of said scalpels at home? That's just weird and not a little creepy. Surely you don't have collections of other instruments at home? (Because you're likely trying to determine the best choice of other instruments as well, not just scalpels.)

The posting of the picture was also, in and of itself, creepy and unnecessary. It seems like you were possibly (1) proud of your collection, (2) truly clueless about how that picture would be perceived, or (3) something else even darker.

Howdy Everyone, I am curious about surgical instruments and their grades but also if there are certain brands of instruments I should stay away from when selecting instruments to perform a procedure.

That you Buffalo Bill? How's the old skin suit coming along?

65170579.jpg

Pretty sure there were more scalpel handles in that picture than what my entire anatomy department has on hand as extras for students that forget to buy scalpels for lab. How much does that even cost? I can't imagine they sell very many individual handles - a majority of the ones I've found on sale to the general public come in kits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well everyone's got an opinion. Doesn't mean it's correct.

How do any of you know I am not a medical student? You are all making quite a bit of assumptions without any proof. But again the more the merrier.

And FenderBenderEmergency they do sell individual handles all the time. Some in kits as you pointed out and some just the handles. They range in price anywhere from about a $1 to up to $40 and even more depending on what type of handle you are looking to purchase. People use them for crafting and hobbies all the time. They are much more suitable for crafting than a X-Acto knife.

I'm not to worried about the creepiness factor here as everyone has made it so blatantly clear. All I wanted was some simple information from a creditable source. And seeing how that turned out.

But a guarantee that none of you will ever look at your surgical instruments again the same way.

P.S. think about this though, I could have lied and told everyone I got that picture off google and I had no idea where it came from and that they weren't mine and so on. But instead I decided to trust the community here and tell everyone exactly what was going on and who's those were. And everyone still decides I'm a killer in the making. Sorry to burst your bubble but that won't ever happen. Plus I learn by using my hands and experiencing the thing rather then reading or watching. So having them at home is a great way to learn how to use them correctly.

There is always room to grow and learn. The day you stop learn is the day you die. So for me I plan to learn as much as possible so I can use that down the road.

Also have some respect and cut the serial killer bs. We are all adults here, act like it.

Well everyone's got an opinion. Doesn't mean it's correct.

How do any of you know I am not a medical student? You are all making quite a bit of assumptions without any proof. But again the more the merrier.

And FenderBenderEmergency they do sell individual handles all the time. Some in kits as you pointed out and some just the handles. They range in price anywhere from about a $1 to up to $40 and even more depending on what type of handle you are looking to purchase. People use them for crafting and hobbies all the time. They are much more suitable for crafting than a X-Acto knife.

I'm not to worried about the creepiness factor here as everyone has made it so blatantly clear. All I wanted was some simple information from a creditable source. And seeing how that turned out.

But a guarantee that none of you will ever look at your surgical instruments again the same way.

P.S. think about this though, I could have lied and told everyone I got that picture off google and I had no idea where it came from and that they weren't mine and so on. But instead I decided to trust the community here and tell everyone exactly what was going on and who's those were. And everyone still decides I'm a killer in the making. Sorry to burst your bubble but that won't ever happen. Plus I learn by using my hands and experiencing the thing rather then reading or watching. So having them at home is a great way to learn how to use them correctly.

There is always room to grow and learn. The day you stop learn is the day you die. So for me I plan to learn as much as possible so I can use that down the road.

Also have some respect and cut the serial killer bs. We are all adults here, act like it.

Bro,

I think your answer has been posted numerous times.

No one gives a $hit about the type of scalpel handle they use. We take whatever the scrub tech hands to us. Physicians generally have little say in what handle is purchased by the hospital. Some are metal/reusable other places have shifted to disposable handles that have a safety cover (which ironically are not very safe).

I know a scalpel is romanticized as being the ultimate surgical tool, but honestly, it is used very briefly. I know I'm coming from the OBGYN realm, but other than skin incision, I'm generally using a bovie or Metz/Mayos for dissection etc. Sometimes I'll take a scalpel down to fascia for a stat C section.

Come back when you find a good pair of Mayos and let my hospital know about it so they can buy them.