Surgical and Dental Loupes HELP!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pikaboo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey there, would any practicing dentist or any dental students with the experience of buying dental and surgical loupes help me? Please :) ...
I would love to know how do you guys choose them and where is the best place to buy them in Canada/US (best brand/ online vs store etc).
Thanks in advance <3

Members don't see this ad.

You will need to get fitted, do not just buy them online.
Also, do not try to pinch pennies on this purchase. Get a great pair. DO NOT BUY 2.5X. Do not listen to the "you don't want too high of magnification" argument. I would go with 4.0-4.5 minimum.

Reactions: 4 users
I liked my 2.5x for anything aesthetic in the anterior region, as you get a larger sight picture with the increased field of view. The 3.5x I had were great for anything else, especially in the posterior.

My opinion was always that if you wanted anything greater than 3.5x, you might as well get a microscope. The larger mags get a bit too heavy and a little too long.

I'd like to get the 2.5x micros from DSV eventually.

I will certainly echo what has been said- don't cheap out, get them custom fit.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I love my loupes! They're 3.5x and allow me to do procedures on any region with relative ease. I've tried on my friend's 2.5x, and they seem nice with the large field of view, but I like the precision you can get with 3.5+. I wouldn't go more than 4.5 tho imo... Loupes are really, more than anything, a personal preference/situation thing. ;)

-Fyz

Thanks for the input guys <3 :happy: .I have tried someone's 2.5x and they don't give me the precision and the zoom I need, I was thinking about 4.0x. I have to try in and check if 3.5x is better. I am definitely not gonna go cheap on those :p

Reactions: 1 user
Q-optics expanded field prisms 4.5x. Light weight and titanium frame.

I heard Q-optics are really great, is it what you use ? what's your opinion on them ?

Yeah. They are terrific. The only critique is the case they give you kind of sucks so I just got a different case on the internet.

Thanks a lot Legacy382 <3

i don't see 4.5 on their website. how much were they?

I think it was like $2300 for the student price. I didn't find it on their website either. If you're starting school next fall, I would say wait until you have all the loupes people come to you. I think you can get an extra battery for a like $100 more. The battery is great too btw. I think they are totally worth it. I hope to keep these the rest of my career.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have Surgitel 3x and I love them! I would not recommend buying any brand of loupes online. I would see if there is a local representative that you can get into touch with first. If you can, set up an appointment with them and they will make sure to take the proper measurements; they will tell you instructions in sitting upright etc. I also wouldn't start off with too high of a magnification in the beginning because by the time you get to 4th year, you'll eyes will become use to the mag you have and you'll feel like it isn't enough anymore. You'll just keep wanting a higher mag so start off with a reasonable mag. I also have the surgitel warm light; I find that the light is distributed evenly from the center and out. I found the lumadent light to be uneven in its distribution. If I couldn't get surgitel, I'd go for Q-optics. Contact the major brands: lumadent, q-optics, orascoptic, & surgitel and see what works for you!

I have Surgitel 3x and I love them! I would not recommend buying any brand of loupes online. I would see if there is a local representative that you can get into touch with first. If you can, set up an appointment with them and they will make sure to take the proper measurements; they will tell you instructions in sitting upright etc. I also wouldn't start off with too high of a magnification in the beginning because by the time you get to 4th year, you'll eyes will become use to the mag you have and you'll feel like it isn't enough anymore. You'll just keep wanting a higher mag so start off with a reasonable mag. I also have the surgitel warm light; I find that the light is distributed evenly from the center and out. I found the lumadent light to be uneven in its distribution. If I couldn't get surgitel, I'd go for Q-optics. Contact the major brands: lumadent, q-optics, orascoptic, & surgitel and see what works for you!
This is bad advice. It is not true that "your eyes get used to the mag". What happens is misinformed predents buy too low of a mag and end up getting what they should've gotten in the first place which is prismatic 3.5x or above. This pattern of D4's buying higher magnification is not due to "getting used to the mag". That's ridiculous. You only get the magnification you need to better see crown margins and make accurate cuts.

Don't be a sucker. Buy loupes once! Get prismatic 3.5x or greater. It's always in the sale rep's best interest to sell you 2.5x galilean loupes knowing you'll want 3.5x or above in just a couple months. The lie of telling you that you need to start off on 2.5x is the only way sale reps can mislead you to ultimately buy more than one set of loupes and allow them to make more money. So don't be a sucker. Go straight to prismatic 3.5x or greater. There's no BS trial period or "learning curve" or getting used to magnification. These are all sales tactic lies.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
Here's what to ask the sales rep:

(1) Are the loupes 3.5x magnification or above? If "yes", go to question 2. If "no", do not buy.
(2) Are the loupes prismatic or galilean lenses? If "prismatic", go to question 3. If "galilean", do not buy.
(3) With your prismatic 3.5x or above magnification loupe, ensure angle of declination is acceptable (the higher, the better it is for your back and neck), size and fit is okay, and price is reasonable.

Other things to consider: through the lense vs flip ups, customer service, frame quality, cost difference between original manufacturer's light and aftermarket light (Ultralight), range of working distance (the wider, the better and allows flexibility in seeing objects in focus at different distances), and the fact that there's no industry standard for advertised magnification (Orascoptic's 4.3x is equivalent to DFV's 3.5x-EF).

Most importantly, get a light. Loupes are worthless without a light.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
This is bad advice. It is not true that "your eyes get used to the mag". What happens is misinformed predents buy too low of a mag and end up getting what they should've gotten in the first place which is prismatic 3.5x or above. This pattern of D4's buying higher magnification is not due to "getting used to the mag". That's ridiculous. You only get the magnification you need to better see crown margins and make accurate cuts.

Don't be a sucker. Buy loupes once! Get prismatic 3.5x or greater. It's always in the sale rep's best interest to sell you 2.5x galilean loupes knowing you'll want 3.5x or above in just a couple months. The lie of telling you that you need to start off on 2.5x is the only way sale reps can mislead you to ultimately buy more than one set of loupes and allow them to make more money. So don't be a sucker. Go straight to prismatic 3.5x or greater. There's no BS trial period or "learning curve" or getting used to magnification. These are all sales tactic lies.

Yeah this sounds more accurate. This was just what I heard some upperclassmen tell us but I guess they really should have started off at a higher mag in the first place. I am personally happy with the 3x but thanks for setting the record straight though!

Reactions: 2 users
Here's what to ask the sales rep:

(1) Are the loupes 3.5x magnification or above? If "yes", go to question 2. If "no", do not buy.
(2) Are the loupes prismatic or galilean lenses? If "prismatic", go to question 3. If "galilean", do not buy.
(3) With your prismatic 3.5x or above magnification loupe, ensure angle of declination is acceptable (the higher, the better it is for your back and neck), size and fit is okay, and price is reasonable.

Other things to consider: through the lens vs flip ups, customer service, frame quality, cost difference between original manufacturer's light and aftermarket light (Ultralight), and the fact that there's no industry standard for advertised magnification (Orascoptic's 4.3x is equivalent to DFV's 3.5x-EF).

Most importantly, get a light. Loupes are worthless without a light.

thank you very much, you basically saved my butt. I honestly was planning to buy the 2.5x thinking the same way The Tooth Crownicles. What you said makes much more sense and is very reasonable. I will make sure to ask the rep those questions. What is the brand you went for ???

much love! <3

Hey there, would any practicing dentist or any dental students with the experience of buying dental and surgical loupes help me? Please :) ...
I would love to know how do you guys choose them and where is the best place to buy them in Canada/US (best brand/ online vs store etc).
Thanks in advance <3

Shop around for frames that you like. I personally prefer sport frames, which support the frames on the entire bridge of the nose rather than just 2 points. Once you decide on a pair of frames that you like, the representative will take measurements and have them custom made for you. The vendors usually visit the dental schools a few times a year, and you can also find them at regional dental conventions.

There are other things to consider. While they are all generally priced about the same for 2.5x, Q-optics has that same price for 3.0 and 3.5x (the 3.5x prisms with expanded field are more). The light is also something to consider, as they are usually paired with the frames and won't fit other manufacturers. Some would argue that the light is more valuable than the magnification. Designs for Vision and Orascoptic have wireless lights but, again, those cost extra. Q-optics makes adapters that allow their light to fit any frame.

Customer service is also another factor. The swiss loupe makers are really great. but they are pricier and servicing your loupes may take longer and the reps may not be as readily available.

Do you have a prescription? Most frames can be made to your prescription, but some, like DSV's Nike sport frames cannot. Does your prescription change a lot? You may want to go with contacts and prescription-free loupes. Other brands, Sandy-Grendel and Q-optics come to mind, have prescription inserts that clip into the frames. You can change them for $100 as your prescription changes and have the option of using your loupes with contact lenses when you want to.

Lastly, warranty. Many manufacturers will have a lifetime warranty on any parts they make: the telescopes, the lenses, and the frames. If the frames are made by someone else (ex DSV Nike frames, Surgitel Oakley frames) the warranty is limited.

I went with the DSV Nike frames 2.5x for my first pair because of the comfort and because DSV is based in Long Island, very close to where I was in school at NYU. I took advantage of the student discount and got a the Q-optics 3.5x prism because my prescription is getting worse and I don't like contacts - having the option of swapping out the insert instead of getting a whole new pair of loupes appealed to me. Also, Q-Optics has a lifetime warranty on the frame as well as the scopes.

Hope you found this more helpful than confusing!

I love my Q-Optics loupes! 2.5x is a good overall loupe, but you'll definitely want an extra pair of higher magnification. Q-Optics prismatic loupes come in 3.5x, 4.0x, and 4.5x. Their loupes have a lifetime warranty and they are super light weight in comparison to other expanded telescopes on the market. If you call their number on their website, they will put you in contact with your local rep for pricing.

And I definitely agree with other posts saying you NEED the light!!! Makes such a huge difference!

Hey everyone, a little off topic but for those of you who wear contacts/ glasses which are better suited for dental school. I'll be an incoming D1 this fall and we get fitted for loupes our first week. I wasn't sure if I should get loupes with my prescription or start wearing contacts (I switched to glasses this past year)

thank you very much, you basically saved my butt. I honestly was planning to buy the 2.5x thinking the same way The Tooth Crownicles. What you said makes much more sense and is very reasonable. I will make sure to ask the rep those questions. What is the brand you went for ???

much love! <3
I went the safe route with DFV 3.5x expanded field (prismatic) in the classic aluminum frames. DFV aluminum frame is tried and true. If you walk around the hospital, almost every ENT surgeon or gen surg has the same frames. You could try other frames but I knew I these frames have a history of being reliable. The frames are heavy but very sturdy. They helped me immensely in dental school prosth and operative cases.

What is everyone’s working distance? I have read that a regular working distance is 15-17 inches, but that seems short to me....I realize this is a custom measurement for everyone, but I’m curious about the ranges.

1. magnification: there are a lot of people out there who think you should start low and move up. Ignore them, as schmoob said. I would not start with anything less than 3.0x. I used 3.0 for about a year and got tired of not being able to see, so I moved up to 5.5x and have never looked back. I use them for almost everything. There is no substitute for being able to see detail.

2. style: I highly recommend sport frames as they will hold the loupes to your face better instead of simply cinching a band, plus I feel they help distribute the weight better.

3. ergonomics: this is probably the MOST important thing. You're going to be using these loupes at least 4-5 days a week for years and it is important that you get a set that will enable you to work without tilting your head down as far. The best ergonomics cannot be found with TTL loupes! You need to get flip ups that can be adjusted properly. Right now (as per an ergonomics CE I took last year) only Surgitel and Oroscoptics offer the most ergonomic loupes.

What is everyone’s working distance? I have read that a regular working distance is 15-17 inches, but that seems short to me....I realize this is a custom measurement for everyone, but I’m curious about the ranges.
Mine was initially measured by DFV at 20.5" (I'm 5'10", so no crazy long arms/torso or anything). I felt like that was uncomfortably far away. I was remeasured at what I felt was more comfortable at 19". I haven't been working at that length for super long yet, but it seems to be more comfortable.

Not normally mentioned here in a loupe discussion but I used a Zeiss EyeMag Pro F 3.5 x 400 that has a working distance of 16 in. with a lumadent light as my go to for operative. I don't know if your school has a Schein rep but they are available in their catalogue.

I have 2 pairs. One flip-up 2.5x Heine for everything except endo. 2nd pair I have is Orascoptic 3.8x prismatic with expanded field, which i used a lot for preclinic (more accurate view of tapers, flash, margins, etc.) and I also use it for endo cases. I switch out the LumaDent light depending on what procedures I'm doing. Pretty happy with what I have. Some of my classmates don't use loupes unless it's endo. They get by with operatory light and face shield masks.

Hello all,
I know this is an old thread, but I saw that people were talking about Q-Optics prismatic loupes (the ones I'm considering to get), so I figured it would be better to continue a thread in which people have personally experienced the prismatics.
Currently a first year student and I have the Q-optics 3.0x loupes, but after reading all the posts above, it seems that the prismatics 3.5x and above are getting a lot of praise.
To those to have had personal experience using these: are they really worth the extra money ($850ish for the 3.0x, $1700ish for the 3.5x prismatics)?? I did try them on before and they were excellent, but back then I couldn't justify myself paying literally double the amount for the prismatics.... now I'm having second thoughts about my decision after reading all the posts above. HELP PLEASE! I totally understand that better loupes won't compensate for poor hand skills, but given the same level of manual dexterity, how much advantage in terms of comfort and vision will those prismatics give?

Also, speaking of loupes... are there any D3/4 students out there who have and are still using those cheap <$100 Amazon loupes? Just curious, because in my class quite a few number of students opted to save money and said they were perfectly satisfied with those loupes, and so I was wondering if they will be able to say the same thing once we hit clinic lol